ITT: Post some of the most recent games you can think of that have been almost entirely forgotten...

ITT: Post some of the most recent games you can think of that have been almost entirely forgotten. The ones that couldn't find much of a niche.
No bona fide shovelware.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/v/res/12164373.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm glad they failed. Souls like Souls Force for Soulsplayers Soullife Soulsemoji Soulsmyhead Sloulam.

that being said

I had this game, I think it was forgotten or nobody knew what it was.

I still remember Enchanted Arms.
Fun times.

But when was the last time you thought about it?

I enjoyed the shit out of this game despite repetitive combat after a point. RIP Tri-Ace.

About 4 days ago when I pulled out my old box of 360 games from under my bed so I could use it to press down a bent foil. (Stupid heat tricks won't work on it because it's bent face up.)

its about to become PC GOTY like Valkyria chronicles did when it was released on steam 10 years after the fact, watch this space.

It's super repetitive but fuck me if trying to get optimal positioning isn't fun. It does get harder later and you might have to change a little bit of your tactics at end game, but the whole setting with music and characters was really a fun change of pace. The way people describe FF8 (if they're trying to be nice) fits this game way better: a slice of the lives of a group of mercs just trying to survive.

I really like that they used 2D portraits.

I liked how the plot was fucking insane

A rare gem in a sea of pseudointellectual indie sludge. Wasn't perfect, but it had better writing (and better puzzles) than most of its competitors.

Oh what a cool ga-
That's why it was forgotten

It still looks like a cool game from a review I saw of it

Haven't played it myself, but I remember seeing a noticeable divide between western "professional" and consumer reviews on Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, in that critics gave it a lot of grief while average players seemed to be more receptive and even mentioned not being sure why official reviews seemed to be so hard on it. I would wager that regardless, the "professional" reviews did a real number on the game: I rarely ever see copies around (and when I do these days, they're a tad expensive for a game with practically zero demand), and it sold abysmally here to the point TK didn't even feel like clearing the DLC to be brought west. Even on imageboards, the only time I ever really see it mentioned is on that image about "must play" PSP titles claiming Infinite Plus to be much better than Trinity (though, given that particular PSP image solely has moon-only games on it, all while failing to specify anywhere that those games aren't in English, I'm not sure how much faith to place in what might be considered as "bait").

Of course, it might also be worth mentioning that Trinity was the only one in its series to come west anyhow (Gamespot did an import review on the first for the PS1 and claimed that "there's just no room for it on this side of the ocean"; wouldn't shock me if that prompted TK to decline bringing it, the PS2 sequel, and PSP port of the PS2 version west) so it's not as if most western players can even compare it with much else in the series.

Really strikes me as a bit of shame that various Japanese made 360 titles didn't see eventual PS3 ports (or at least ones that came west). I'd think it could have provided a second chance for them to find a playerbase. I suppose there may have been exclusivity deals behind some of that though.

Also a fun game but really fucking repetitive. Gave up before beating it once, but I've heard the story really begins in NG+.

you have no idea how hard it was for me to pirate enchanted arms, i searched and searched to no avail until i found some fishy links in shitty servers that seemed like viruses but nah, they were actually the game.

and once i finally pirated the thing and booted it up, it turned out to be a shitty turn based JRPG with this grid-esque positioning combat, bad story, and a faggot who uses a sax to fight. man was i disappointed.

I thought Enclave was a pretty nice Action/Adventure game back then. Enclave 2 would've sounded promising, until those damn Swedes at Starbreeze Studios decided to jump on the FPS bandwagon with Chronicles of Riddick.

Releasing that game at the same time as Final Fantasy 13 was just extremely bad timing on its part. Guess I won't be getting a sequel for that one too.

There is a pc release of Enclave now. I enjoyed playing through it again. music is still as great as i remember.

Everyone gave me shit about playing bullet witch and phantom dust but they were pretty fun.

While Tri-Ace's games aside from Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile 1 seem to be considered rather love it or hate it on the whole with anons, I have seen what seems to be a soft spot for a few others, like Resonance of Fate and Radiata Stories. Though, in the case of Resonance of Fate, that seems to depend on whether the poster in question actually understands how the gameplay/combat is supposed to work.

That's something I just don't get. If a rival, bigger name company is releasing something that could directly compete with your upcoming title, why not wait a little while instead of releasing in the same day/week or two of it? Or does Square actively try to fuck over their competition? I'm not sure. I just know that cases like that, or releasing Shadow Hearts so close to Final Fucking Fantasy X, or Dual Hearts within days of the vastly more anticipated Kingdom Hearts? It just strikes me as a recipe for your game's potential sales to get stolen since people only have so much they're willing to spend in a given time frame, and most are going to gravitate toward the bigger name company/branding.

I got it because Holla Forums recommended it. Went in knowing nothing but the name, and loved it. tri-Ace is still making games even after being bought by a mobile company, so we'll see what happens.

We can only hope. Then maybe it'd finally get a sequel.

Man fuck off with pushing this shit. I know it's pretty much bait at this point but it really rankles my tism to see people on this board praising it for being something so unique when Blundertale or imscared did it's computer shit beforehand, and a bunch of other games as well I'd wager. It's newgrounds tier game that is just you wandering around with a few OH I'M SO CLEVER bits the programmer tossed in like using your computer profile name when adressing you, custom error messages, or even the character leaving the screen onto your desktop (which IRISU SYNDROME did 10X better than that pile of shit)
So yeah, I took the bait but that's because I'm genuinely angry seeing this fucking cat keep popping up in my catalog and threads when I'm certain it's the same 3 idiots singing its praises when it's on the same level as Night in the Woods
FUCK

How do You do, Fellow Kids: The Game

Fell into obscurity. At least it came out, I guess. Was it any good?

I was halfway done when Yakuza 0 came out and I dropped it heh, not too great not too bad. Predict it will get a cult-following, but not the fun kind.

It fell in to obscurity the split second it came out. That's what you get for being on PS4, making a game worse than boy and his blob, and having no marketing.

They finally made it though. Now all I'm waiting for is Zetai Zettsume 4.

It's inferior to Ico and SotC, but it's still pretty decent.

Doesn't really deserve hate just for being in development for so long like Duke Nukem Forever or FFXV was.

Definitely one of the better exclusives on PS4.

I remember this one well, but it had pitiful sales. I don't know if many people on Holla Forums played it.

This will not fall into true obscurity anytime soon, since almost anytime Ico and SotC are mentioned, TLG will be remembered as well.

It's literally Contra/Guilty Gear. It's the best Contra yet nobody talks about it.
Nobody talks about Contra in general anymore and it saddens me.

Thanks OP.

Fuck I hate the Souls games for ruining From.

this is pretty much completely forgotten and I thought it was fucking awesome

More obscure games please.

A fucking classic.

I didn't even try it. For one it's EA, and for two I heard it was dick and fart jokes with overly edgy shit.

This looks really cool, I'll look in to it.

Same, they published and made a variety of games. Souls made them focus on 1 series. It doesn't help that soulsfags are so cancerous. I can't stand souls anything because of it.

I had that, great game. I forget if you race mix in it. All I remember is it was like Power Dolls. and less like Front Mission.

I picked it up on a whim about a year ago. It's alright, pretty fun for one playthrough. I haven't had the urge to play it again.

Reminds me they made that a some submarine NGPC game as well before starting the Shadow Hearts series with Koudelka on the PS1.

Yeah I had that too. It was really good. They were a solid dev team.

I can't wait for the next Armored Core game to be labeled "Dark Souls with robots" by Nu-From's retard fanbase contingent. I wonder how many of these idiots will call the inevitable reappearance of the Moonlight Laser Blade a "Dark Souls reference"?

Souls isn't the sole thing they do even these day; rather, a fair amount of their non-Souls and Armored Core stuff since the advent of Demon's Souls just hasn't been brought west. You're right though in that they've got a number of other IPs that only saw one or two entries (maybe three if they were lucky) they could have kept around, but were content to just abandon after sixth gen.

Sacnoth eventually changed their name, for whatever reason, to Nautilus, and made a few more games before being shuttered by their Pachislot loving publisher. Bit of a shame really; as you said, they seemed to be a solid developer, if one that (by the PS2 era) seemed to revel in making somewhat niche stuff and not-so-subtly flipping Aruze the bird ("The Dark Tower" item in Covenant being more than a bit telling).

This fucking game. I've had this for so many years and have never beaten it, but I loved what I played. I should start it up again and see how it goes this time around. Look like only Satan and I remember.

I can only imagine the type of fanbase if this game came out today.

I wanna fuck that cat.

I remember an employee at an independent vidya store I like pointing out a copy of that they'd recently gotten in at the time. First thought I had was "Atlus was bringing stuff overseas as far back as third gen?" Which wasn't to say I didn't know they were around, in Japan anyhow (MT1 and 2 being FC and all), but it felt rather strange to see their logo on a game on a western release from that time period.

A chunk of Atlus' employees worked on shovelware (including a few ljn published games) and Namco releases.

I remember seeing this around the DS' launch year and just brushing it off. Found a copy for 99 cents and ended up playing it for 4 hours.

Here's a few 3DS games doomed to this fate.

Are you implying that Rockin' Kats was in any way shovelware?

never again will we have another fun crystal chronicles game

Shit endings like the majority of Indie garbage. just like Momodora, a waste of time

this

that new Bomberman game is barely over a week old and it seems like everyone already forgot about it.

So full of charm and puns.

it makes me so mad that this game didn't blow up more, it did physics manipulation before half life 2 came out and did it in a much more fun manner

you could fucking shoot your gun while throwing shit around, and ride things you were manipulating, it was the fuckin tits

Even Rocket Robot on Wheels let you move around boxes with a literal gravity gun to jump up to new places and that was on the N64. HL2 was not innovative at all.

The problem with Enclave is how much effort they put into everything but the combat system. Still good fun but the melee combat is a shallow spamfest.

Natural Doctrine and Neverdead.
Natural Doctrine was a pretty neat TBT game and one of the few that uses something similar to the real time movement Valkyria Chronicles made popular.
Neverdead was a mediocre TPS but with the unique concept of using your body parts as weapons/puzzle solving tools and instead of dying you had to collect your body parts when you received damage.

From Software is another example of how success can ruin everything. Mainstream=cancer

A real shame the PC port was so shit. It's pretty much fixed now, but people won't care enough to play it now anyway.

Full Auto 2: Battlelines-A vehicular combat.racing game that was out a few months after the PS3's launch with destructible environments.

Otogi 2 killed any possibility of a direct sequel with the way it ended. A spiritual successor would be nice, though. I'm kind of shocked that no one else ever picked up the idea, since at its core its about using the physics engine to throw enemies through the scenery.

I've been meaning to ask, how does Otogi 2 rank up with the other beat em ups/character action/hack n slash games? Only played a few missions of it recently, it's kind of fun so far but not quite on the same level as Ninja Gaiden and the like.

At least Rhythm Thief got some appreciation last year by being in that WiiU/3DS Humble Nindie Bundle.

Played some of the early chapters last year, and need to get back into it again.

That shit rustles my 'tism; Hotspur and Johnson were a pretty funny duo though. Final boss was kinda boring tbh.

actually meant to post in this thread

Moon Diver was a decent 7th gen Strider clone made with one of its former staff members.

This one right here. I've never seen anyone else other than me mention this game on Holla Forums, it's probably the least popular NIS game. It should be a least a little more popular since it's the game that originated the engine and gameplay mechanics that were later used in Hyperdimension Neptunia.

It's one of the comfiest jrpgs I ever played. I love the setting, the characters and the music. Really underrated.

I played Bullet Witch back when it came out and had lots of fun with it, also loved the setting and concept. Don't get why it wasn't more popular, even back in its day it mostly went completely off the radar. Really looking forward to X360 emulation so I can play it again.

Wait, is there a pc port of Resonance of Fate in development? I did some searching and seems to be only a rumor that came up more than a year ago.

It was so fucking good

The fact that NISA brought it over could have something to do with it; pretty rare these days for there to be much positivity about what they bring west. But you're right. Of their PS3 crossover games, I generally have heard more about Cross-Edge in discussion here, and not usually good things either.

I'll ask though, did the game strike you as one where you could hop right in despite the crossover status, or was it more aimed at existing fans of the franchises involved? And how bad off was the western release in script and bugginess? Curious since, as you say, the game doesn't show up in discussion much.

I tried playing final fantasy explorers but it kept crashing on my n3ds so I had to delete it.

Was it any good? Btw I pirated it

You can definitely just jump in, enjoy the game and have fun not being familiar with any of the franchises, since it was my case when I first played it (it was the first NIS game I've ever played, I had played a bit of Disgaea before but never finished it). The protagonists and main characters are original characters after all, other franchises are mostly side characters and cameos.

Technically the game is fine, don't remember running in any bugs or glitches, and I didn't have any problem with the script. I played most of the game with a friend while drunk or high though, so don't take my word for it. But if there are problems it wasn't anything major.

I say if you like Neptunia you'll like this, at least gameplay wise.

No one talks about Enchanted Arms because it's shit

You mean you guys took turns, or does it somehow have native co-op? Because not enough JRPGs do the latter (it's namely Tales these days that has kept doing so).

I'll keep that in mind. Might look into it if I can find it cheap, although I don't recall seeing it locally much.

Trinity Universe did have some epic maymay moment in it's script. Vid related, look at 3:15

Nobody ever even talked about VD on Holla Forums that I can think of. Given that there's discussion of Senran every now and then, I expected at least a thread or two about VD, but nothing ever showed up. It went beyond Monster Hunter Syndrome because at least then you would have gotten people saying it was a shitty Senran clone.

Whoever this composer is I fucking hate! She did the music for Noire's game for Vita. The TRPG one that plays like shining force or something. The music in it went in loops forever and it was so bad I wanted to burn my vita.

I was trying to forget that game for a reason

It was talentless marketing. Japan is doing these 1,2,3 attacks to try to force a franchise like we use to force memes.
Anime
Game
LN/Manga
All come out at the same time, all from the same publisher or sanctioned by them. Valkyria Drive was yet another one. In the current years and they're all bad.

sage for double post

I actually really liked that game, it was Senran but with much more in depth combat and zako variety.
I just wish it had a larger roster and more areas.

I agree that the anime was shitty, but the anime is not the game. I can think of plenty of multimedia series that have good and bad parts, so blaming one part for the failures of another just seems illogical to me. .hack comes to mind as an example. GU was decent, but Roots was boring.

Personally, I preferred the smaller cast. Estival Versus proved that a bigger cast can be just as much of a liability as a strength. The Mikagura sisters are so unpopular for a reason.

Same here. It comes up sometimes in Senran threads and that's all you really need I guess since the story was straightforward and there aren't as many waifus to wank since you know they're all hardcore dykes not even just subtle yuri undertones.

I used to see it brought up a bit in the Vita threads. Now there's hardly discussion at all, and until this latest thread, things had been slow as shit there in general for months.

Tried looking at the wikipedia page for the game and found fuck all in regards to who did the music, and not even mobygames has a credits page, let alone even a section for Trinity Universe. Hell, the wikipedia page itself is really barebones, as if aside from the characters/franchises involved and brief mentions of gameplay, no one has given a rats ass enough to actually do a proper description for the game.

Because corporate tried to rush this shit into a franchise instead of letting it grow naturally. Anime was shit and the mobile game got shitcanned. The game was actually good but it's walready too late for the franchise.

This
It would be pretty cool if it had coop

Yeah there are some, didn't mind it much though, probably because we were playing with the original japanese dub.

Nice trips, Satan.

8ch.net/v/res/12164373.html
There was already a thread on this.

Deserves to be forgotten tbh

First, this thread was made 5 days before that one and you're a fucking idiot.
Second, the premises are similar, but not identical.

This, they're similar but definitely not the same.
While it's kind of unspoken, it quickly settled early in the thread that the other one is about AAA titlles not older than 2 or 3 years
While this one became a thread about AA and A titles mostly from early 7th gen

And now you reminded me how much I hated it.

Literally nobody knows this game exists. It's by the Trine guys.
I kinda like it
It's stealth where time only moves when you do, feels more like a pazzel game with multiple solutions

Star ocean 5
what a mess of a game. its time for Tri -Ace to just focus on Valkyrie Profile

The time moves when you do gimmick is fucking shit in this game. I literally held down the "move time normally" button the entire game.
And the grappling, good god the grappling.

I was going to agree with you but then I remembered I had 4, not 5. Damn.

Sony buying out Factor 5 and killing them should never be forgotten. Fuck Sony now and forever.

Valkyrie Profile seems to have been relegated to mobile shit as of Anatomia.

Isn't it suggested in Enchanted Arms that the protagonist raped the love interest when he went into Demon Mode for the first time or something?

I can still never get over how that's only brought up once and never mentioned again.

This game is a great Zelda clone. Every user should play this shit. I had totally forgotten it even existed. Thanks for posting that.

Hmm, never mind. I must have been thinking of a different game. There's a top down Zelda style Monkey game on PSX. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but it's surprisingly good.

When Wayforward cares their games can really shine.

when can we open the fucking clock door?

is enchanted arms worth playing? i got it pirated for PS3 but i couldn't get past the first 15 minutes. i didn't really get into the battle system either.

To be honest, it's not really worth it. It was mediocre as fuck. The plot was formulaic and didn't even try to do anything fun or twist conventions, the characters were one dimensional with the main girl often acting irrationally, and the combat never gets better by adding tactical options or fun units. It never gets anywhere near as bad as something like Agarest War, but it doesn't do anything beyond a mediocre level, either.

goyim they need another week

I've been meaning to pop in and start over on Enchanted Arms.

Played it when it first came out and I was retarded allocating Atsuma's stats to everything instead of just HP and Direct damage.

tfw never got to New Game + with Metal Wolf as my traveling companion.

Its alright if you like a simple RPG. with some Monster collecting.

All the monsters you fight in the wild you can add to your party by finding a "Rogue" monster in a certain location and defeating it.

From added in a few mecha from Murakumo and Metal Wolf Chaos as hidden monsters that can join you.

Fun game play. Really enjoyed. Spectral Force 3 got panned too, and that was good too. DarkSector wasn't terrible and I managed to finish it.

also here's another almost entirely forgotten good game.

Natural Doctrine. pretty good tactical combat RPG. its hard as fuck at the beginning until you realize That geoff can equip guns as well as swords, having Geoff and Anka as Gun Users makes the grind at the beginning of the game a cakewalk, and the entirety of the game relatively easier, by using Zeke as a tank and shooting enemies from the square behind him with geoff and anka
also for everything that's holy, put the voices on JAPANESE.

you better make a thread when the clock door update is released.

i guess i predicted the shittiness of the game correctly from my first 15 minutes then

Yeah I'm probably just nostalgic of playing it mostly 1 summer at my dad's house.

Haven't played in years, dunno how well it has held up.

Nigga I'll upload a link to it when it releases.

Owning a PS3 a few years after it came out felt so strange. It was like the sand room in stalker. Games came out, no one cares, they didn't sell, you saw them come out and just shruged. It was a mystery as to why they kept coming out and why they were so creative yet no one batted an eye. I sold my ps3.

Didn't NISA not bother to sub the ending cutscene when played with the JP voices, and then told people asking them to patch them in to just play it in English or suck a chode?

yes

I can't get over how ugly that is. Most of western companies just do not understand composition or color theory at all. That looks like some photoshop copy paste picture from deviant art.

well, it actually is a copy-paste picture because all of those renders weren't made solely for the title screen. just compare the shadows and eye contact going in these pictures to see what I mean.

i theorize that youre colored like a nigger

Isn't that the game that uses In the Court of the Crimson King as its credits theme?

Pretty sure the only thing keeping that game relevant in any way is people using it as a constant punchline.

Not that I mind - Gearbox can go and eat shit.

yes

phantom dust is sweet

super cheap at slavestop, servers are kill right?

Because these days Western graphics design people are being recruited from deviant art (a la ME:A).

I wish more games had artwork like the original EQ boxart…

It was shilled extra hard on 4/v/ for years I believe, and when I've finally tried it out it turned out to be, if not awful(because some parts of the game are complete bullshit) then just mediocre.

Same shit for this, but probably even worse. If resonance of fate was unique in a gameplay sense, this, this is just eugh. Basically style over substance.

A good game, that has nothing else going for it. Stylistically repetitive.

Loses it's focus closer to the end and doesn't offer much to munch on after the campaign is done. Stylistically repetitive, but not as much as BD.

Nice, giving me some comfy vibes there holmes