Play soma

Why do these kinds of horror/stealth games give the monster your location? What's the point of sneaking past it if the game just gives it your location anyway?

I've seen this in several games like this. Is it that hard to just make good but not omniscient search AI?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Thief:_The_Dark_Project#Essential_improvements
store.steampowered.com/app/346290/
moddb.com/mods/penumbra-necrologue
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because it's muh cinematic gameplay. They lack the competence to design a good level where gameplay will happen organically so they just scrip everything.

In the Thief series there were all sorts of tense moments having to edge past a zombie or haunt, or frantically try to pick open a lock standing in a brightly lit area before a puppet came back around on its patrol route. Those happened because the games had well designed levels and gameplay.

Soma and games like it are just linear walking sims, so it's no surprise they'd depend on scripting out the ass.

Its not but Horror games are effective if they are unpredictable.
Of course they tend to fuck that up by following design conventions mindlessly by spawning a monster whenever the player triggers something.

there's your problem

It's not an FPS though since I never get a gun, or any kind of weapon. I did find a stun-baton but I could only use it once.

The character was apparently so upset about murdering that robot, spoiler because you are one, that I couldn't bring it with me for self-defense.

I like the story, or at least the questions raised by it, and the environments but the lazily scripted bullshit to make it tense is pissing me off.

Maybe you could recommend me a decent horror game to play?

Same with the alien game, hell there is a mod that removes the alien, making the game more fun on dealing the mercs and androids

SOMA's story was so fucking stupid.
Even the basic premise
Is retarded. An asteroid wouldn't kill everyone on the planet.

Video games are suffering

Man, I'm getting real tired of the "so le spooky glitchy text" logos. My mind disregards it as instinctively as impact font reaction images now.

eternal darkness
yume nikki

tell that to the dinos

If it was big enough it definitely could, the only people who'd survive would have to have months or even years of food ready in a bunker with years worth of power.

It was the impact the asteroid had on the environment that killed them, not the asteroid itself.
Humans could easily survive that considering it if got 20 degrees colder you'd just wear more clothes.

If it was big enough to kill everybody on the surface of Earth then it would also have killed the scientists in the ocean.

Yeah, Alien was really bullshit with that. I only ran into survivors once. They shot at me so I ran away and they promptly got eaten by the xenomorph. Best way to use the gun is to shoot once to summon the xeno and then put on a cup of tea and sit in a locker while waiting for the xeno to kill the enemies for you.

I like the story for the existential questions it brings up but at the same time makes it all seem kind of pointless. The grand plan seems to be to scan and upload copies of the crew, upload it onto their second-life server and fling it into outer space. Does the AI copies actually learn and develop like a human or is it just bot with your personality?

These shitty "horror" games are cancer
It says a lot about the genre that nearly every one of them would legitimately be better off as walking simulators

M8 the cold isn't what killed them, it killed the plants so all the herbivores and what ate the herbivores subsequently died out. And that would affect humans too, it would create a nuclear winter and all the plants with as making photosynthesis impossible, and there would be massive tsunamis too. I didn't play soma so I don't know what kinda shit those scientists had but at the bottom of the ocean you could have power from hydrothermal vents for a long time and use that to grow food if you brought seeds from the surface before it hit.

Yeah, OP probably didn't play Alien: Isolation, the alien AI behavior is even more fucked up and anti-fun than the monsters in Soma.

There are some "unpredictable alien" mods that instead of removing the alien, they tweak the alien's AI to make it less obsessed with hunting down Rebecca and more easily distracted, so the game won't punish the player for exploring the station, provided you keep a low profile and don't make noise. They make a good compromise most of the time, except in some areas like the cold chambers and operating theater in mission 6 - outbreak, where the alien has no places to wander off or other survivors to distract it so it will still hunt you down relentlessly like in the vanilla game.

The existential issues and plot twists present in Soma are absolutely nothing new to anyone familiar with the Ghost in the Shell franchise, especially the Stand Alone Complex series. I always wondered why the story gets so much praise for concepts that have already been told in a better and more subtle way multiple times.

I mean, minus the whole end of the world thing.

Even if it was it would fucking boil the ocean away. That's how big the meteor would have to have been.

SOMA is a much better game with the Wuss Mode mod. It turns it into a walking simulator.

For the same reason Infinite is praised for the "revolutionary" storytelling, or why normalfags think Mass Effect lore is anything special.

The majority of gamers today aren't nerds, they are mouthbreathing imbeciles that never read anything, never research anything, never question anything.

Saying this feels like heresy, but I genuinely think SOMA would have been better as a walking sim. The hide and seek segments are really bad and I just wanted to fuck with machinery, do puzzles and progress the story.

Penumbra was alright.
Problem was it really needed a sequel and got Amnesia instead.

Because most people have not watched or understood GitS.

I've played a bit of Isolation and the xeno knowing where you were was the reason I got stuck. Was going to try to get past it but my HDD had other plans.

Because won't watch anime, or if they do they won't admit to it. Never complain about weebs on Holla Forums. It's like moaning that your insect repellent stinks.

I should get around to watching GiTS and Lain before someone spoils it for me

1. The asteroid alone didn't kill the dinosaurs.
2. Dinosaurs are not as smart as human.
3. Dinosaurs don't have advance warning.
4. You're retarded.

The game was utter shit in my opinion, the story telling was hilariously goddamn awful, the monsters were completely underplayed and not scary especially considering the premise, the game is short, it's a walking Sim with little to no gamepad whatsoever, etc etc.

My biggest complaint by far though was the storytelling, I had to play it twice because the first time I beat it I was pissed as hell because nothing made fucking sense and there was absolutely no fucking tension or any actual horror whatsoever. It took me going on the wiki to figure out what the fuck happened before I realized I needed to play it again because the biggest goddamn twists and scares in the game were so poorly conveyed that I didn't even realize what the fuck was actually said. Biggest example was when the MC was told he was a robot, he wakes up a 100 years in the future and finds out his consciousness is just a circuit board that was crammed into the corpse of a crewmember and the game treats it like he was told he needs to study for a high school spelling test. Call me an autist when a games main theme is psychological and existential horror you're supposed to strike that into who's playing at least through the dialogue and story which Soma utterly failed at doing. Am I the only one who feels this way?

There's got to be a better way of improving the game without cutting the stealth.

It got one sequel, third game doesn't count, and the sequel was improved by not being able to fight. Beating dogs to death with the hammer got really tedious.

I was convinced the plot twist was just going to be that he was in a computer simulation or some shit. Then they threw that questionnaire at you breaking the 4th wall and I felt even more disconnected from the game.

Actually the MC wasn't a robot per say. He was the conscious of the main character's scanned data from that moment in the past. The original died a long time ago. You were just the scan data of the MC at that time you were brought to "life" into this dystopia world. The whole game was about questioning what would be considered life if we can't live normal lives anymore. The game was very high concept but its own gameplay ruins that by going though the by-the-numbers walking simulator tropes. It really needed that tension and some new gameplay elements to make it much better as the idea would imply.

devs are too incompetent to make an interesting AI that would not have to rely on scripted events.

is there an easy way to play the original thief games on modern hardware or is it like pulling teeth with most old game? Because I've been interested in Playing the game but I really couldn't be bothered with spending half a day setting up something that I may or may not enjoy.

its because Soma is shit.

boy I'm glad I never bought into the Alien: Isolation was good meme.

have both and never played them aside from 19 minutes of amnesia and 45 minutes of Penumbra. I was actually hopping to play a really scary game. Then I realized scary games was just a meme.

All you need is TFix
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Thief:_The_Dark_Project#Essential_improvements

The concept is ruined because the protagonist is too retarded to grasp it (and yes, I'm aware there is lore "justification" for it).

Simon is the stand-in for the normalfag audience and you can easily tell what the developers really think of the people playing their games when Simon needs to have this idea of copying consciousness and putting it in a different body three fucking times, despite being presented with examples of this happening at every turn.

The narrative is undermined by the developers feeling the need to dumb it down so the average mouthbreather can understand what is going on. They wanted to make a highbrow game exploring the transhuman concept but then chickened out and decided to dumb it down and it simply doesn't work.

The game is a walking simulator with shitty scripted stealth thrown in. removing monster portions improves it only, trust me.

store.steampowered.com/app/346290/
moddb.com/mods/penumbra-necrologue

Thief on Steam is already set up to work on modern computers, I believe, although IIRC there was some further stuff that was still good to do to your install.