What are the best hack-n-slash games ever...

what are the best hack-n-slash games ever? i wanna emulate or pirate some of them but i dont wanna waste my time downloading and uninstalling them

You just posted pretty much the best. Except missing one important one
MOTHERFUCKING GOD HAND EMULATE THAT SHIT NOW

Try Shinobi for the PS2

If you like Shinobi, you will like its sequel Nightshade.

gauntlet dark legacy? Those aren't hack and slash games OP

Severance:Blade of Darkness is a good ol' time.

All Onimusha games that are on PS2

If you have a penchant for shlock then also give Nanobreaker a whirl

There are also the two Berserk games for the PS2 and Dreamcast. The Dreamcast version is janky and hard but the PS2 one is pretty good.

Maken X for the dreamcast is a first person hack and slash game.It also has a PS2 remake which has third person camera.

Rising Zan Samurai Gunman for the PS1 is a solid one too.

God hand isn't a hack and slash though. Though as points out, character action and hack and slash aren't the same thing.

If you're counting this as a hack and slash then I also recommend Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

Theres also Silent Bomber on the character action side for the PS1 but its literally not a hack and slash

There are also hunting games like Monster Hunter, God Eater and Toukiden but they aren't just hack and slash.

Oh boy, more genre fuckery. Why aren't they the same thing?

because hack and slash is about simplicity, but character action pretty much defines itself on depth and level of control.

Hack and slash defines shit like Diablo and Gauntlet
They are simple(even mindless) in nature.

well gauntlet is at least good, but I suppose every genre needs their stinkers so the greatness stands out.

How bout you fags find your own genre, hack 'n slash is for diablo-likes.

So, would you consider 2D action side scrollers, like Turtles in Time or Streets of Rage or Golden Axe, hack and slash games? If you say, "No, those are beat 'em ups" I have to point out that they're essentially the same thing. Your typical mindless button masher.

they aren't mindless games, on the contrary. You don't know what you are talking about, dismissed.

Holy fuck

They are sidescrolling beat em ups m8
A difference in viewpoint can change the game completely. You can still do combos in stuff like Streets of Rage and Sengoku 3.
This is like saying that Duke Nukem/Megaman and Super Mario are the same time of platformers.

Nah, they're pretty mindless. Don't be retarded.

It already has a genre, it's called cuhrazy.

nah, character action game.

what would u call them then? spectacle fighter is corny af and character action is vague as shit

Gas yourself

3rd person beat em ups

character action accurately describes it.

Except character action is already widely accepted to be a specific type of game.
When someone says that, people don't think of pokemon or zelda, they think of DMC, Bayonetta and MGR.
Hack and slash is even vaguer than character action but its still a widely accepted genre label.

the problem with hack and slash is people think of diablo, gauntlet, and also some think of devil may cry. Very mixed meanings, but character action has caught on well.

As far as I can tell, everyone is just splitting hairs. I've heard Dark Souls described as a hack and slash game, for crying out loud. It's enough to drive a man to pull is hair out. If Dark Souls is a hack and slash game, then Mario Kart is a fucking racing sim.

Darksiders is pretty neat. I'm not sure about the second one, don't think I played it all that much.
Combat is similar to God of War. Tools and exploration/puzzles/secrets similar to OoT/MM Zelda with a splash of Portal

So shit?

Its a pointless discussing anyway as anyone who can articulate themselves more than speaking in grunts can provide examples of the type of games he likes.

yep, like alice madness returns combat.

Never played specifically GoW so can't say if it has the same issues but it's that "style" I guess. You have access to plenty of different weapons with unique movesets and shit and I remember genuinely enjoying the combat.

smh tbh fam ur gay af

Ys

If you're playing Diablo and progressing instead of just overgearing for all content, it's actually quite challenging, nobody does that obviously but if it wasn't designed as an infinite lootbox game, it would be quite skillful and challenging.

The problem with D3 and likewise hack n slash is that there's little emphasis on skill, and instead just to overgear yourself to negate your lack of skill. Kind of like most games nowadays, even single player story based ones. It's fucking garbage tbh fam

I played the first Onimusha game a while ago and I didn't like it tbh. I didn't like the writing and the combat system. IIRC there are only two buttons for attack, one for sword attack and one for magic and there is like only one combo in the game. Also I have no idea why they keep portraying Nobunaga as a bad guy

Worth noting this game has Mark Hamill voice acting for one of the major characters, that was one of the reasons why I played it

Shit taste. He genuinely hates America and traditional values (but not enough to fuck off, apparently) and just sits there making anti-american tweets all day long. At this point he's essentially a parody of the worst kind of tumblr snowflake.

buh muh star goys

i liked him as joker though

I can respect the series and everything, but god damn do I hate the game. Wish all the characters in it would KYs instead. Repetitive and tedious combat, unbearably anime dialogues with the main protag being silent for no reason and yet have a sidekick that talks for him EVEN THOUGH THE CHARACTER STILL SPEAKS TO OTHERS SOMEHOW, and long ass boss battles that wear down your thumbs.
I was told this was a Diablo clone on PSP, but the two games are nothing alike.

RUNE
Marlow Briggs (not great, just surprisingly good for a budget title)
Bloodrayne

You can add nier automata to the list now

I wanna fug blacksmith cats

I want to play Ninja Gaiden & Ninja Gaiden Black again but I don't want to drag out my xbox or 360. Are there any solutions available?

It's such a shame that Bethesda's one (1) good game gets overlooked. It's the best Quentin Tarantino simulator in existence, go get it right now.

play Sigma

gunsmith cats

Not the best but still a pretty decent game that expands the world of the movie

The best in the franchise and probably in the H&S department

Now that I think about it, what was the big deal between Sigma and Black again?

You're damn right.

sigma is the worst version of the base game, easiest too. black integrates some of the dlc from the base game and has NG+ and is the best version.

That's not really helpful but
Jesus fuck how hard is Black then? I can barely deal with the levels of bullshit Sigma throws at you on the higher difficulties.

cats

Black has new weapons and enemies, the game is a little harder and the new difficulties change have exclusive enemies, item locations and some chests have traps inside

GUNsmith cats, you dolt.
I would too

It's actually called Fast-Action Grace

Gunpowder tats.

I was about to say you were wrong, but then I re-read your post and saw "base game"

character action is fine
it's like "role-playing game"–you need context to understand the origin of the term, but everyone knows what you're referring to when you say it

hack and slash is an RPG focused heavily on the combat–central example is Diablo, a borderline example would be something like Icewind Dale
the use of the term hack and slash to refer to character action games comes from retard journalists who didn't understand the context or history of the term

hate revisionism

It's not really that great, but it did have an awesome soundtrack. I remember shitty AI and a distinct lack of ability to actually avoid a lot of damage, leading gameplay on higher difficulties to be about cheesing shit quickly.

When will we finally get a functioning Xbox Emulator? We're going to get a practical Wii U emulator before that.

Do Platinum always do it right (when it's their A-team, less so when working with other IPs like Airbender and TMNT)?
What could they (or anyone) do to add something new to the genre (either as a one off unique spin, or something to change the genre itself)?

Oogie's Revenge is surprisingly decent if you like the film as a guilty pleasure.

The gravel in his voice now actually makes his Joker voice a bit better.
Shame he's a bleeding lefty. Didn't realize Webm related was out of spite.

Diablo 2

Wrong, fast-paced interactive action dramas featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series

Chris Saranden, the guy who played Jack Skellington in the movie, didn't sing in it, but did sing in that game, actually makes for a good Danny Elfman soundalike.

absolutely nothing :^)
seriously though, they could do randomly generated levels with puzzles and platforming sections, and something like L4D's AI director

It's great, but way too reliant on external trading for viable (good clearspeed) builds that can actually tackle all of the content in the game solo to be considered the best.

What? I dunno I soloed it with a bunch of classes just fine.

Maybe you fucks are having so much trouble defining your genres because your favorite games have no defining mechanics and are all style over substance?

Yes, I'm sure you fully cleared the game (normal through hell, Pandemonium and all), 100% self-found with "a bunch of classes just fine".

Surely you aren't lying on the internet.

user, how much do you like frame drops and blur?

I suppose you get so many people trying to perfect/pure platinum the game, that any "additional" content would seem odd- but a mode like that might help to rind in-game money, learn new tricks, and possibly provide a new challenge for those who do perfect the game.

The sheer number of casuals however means tha they'll see how few people platinum the game and decide it's not worth it.

Why do people play the same game with the same class more than once?
I only played through normal with them, I though maybe new difficulties added anything new like in DMC3, but it was the same with inflated stats so I didn't bother.

Well that explains a lot.

Yeah it explains that I'm not a terminal autist.

Git gud.

>X game has issues with build self-found viability for tackling all content
Jesus fucking christ.

See

would an infinite mode like that even feel like it's worth something though? i feel like everyone's just gonna drop the fucking game, even if it's the best fuckin cuhrayzee character action game ever, after 10 generated levels if there's no reason or reward for it. i completely dropped the survival genre because of me thinking "what kind of reward do i get out of doing these things over and over again?"
would this kind of mode need to unlock [insert most outrageous weapon ever] to be worth programming? would it need to have a small, but engaging story to be worth playing and making? would this extra mode need a million intelligently designed challenge rooms instead? i just want a game to come out that screams "fuck you all, we're the best" when we look at it

Time to post my obligatory Cross blade canceling Webms so anons know how to make the combat more fun.

Does the cancel work well with the gauntlet or just with the scythe and blade?

i always reccomend ninja gaiden black, 2, and razors edge, but that's already in the OP

not quite a "hack and slash" but yakuza games main point is fun melee combat

Plebs, the lot of you

there needs to be a warning about ninja gaiden sigma series on that list, sigma 1 is acceptable but sigma 2 really fucks up the game, especially the weapon upgrade system. instead of letting the player upgrade what he wants as he progresses, it pigeonholes you into using 1 upgrade per upgrade station, and you can't max out a weapon until near the end of the game. so you can't upgrade your favorite weapon all the way first, and since upgrades no longer cost money, you get a bloated amount of currency you can't use on anything but healing items that aren't expensive enough to put a dent in your wallet

It's been a little while since i'v played far enough to use the Gauntlet. So I can't say for sure, but from what I remember it didn't work too well it hit's enemies down ward so that would just end up stopping an air combo, maybe if your were more creative then me.

Are X-Blades or Blades of Time actully worth actually playing?
what's good about them if so.

All of you go back to Reddit

I mean they don't look that good that's why i'm asking.

If you have a friend over and you want to laugh at how terrible the game is its worth playing.

I remember when bought it thinking it was a sequel to fable tlc just by the font but when i found out i was wrong i gave it to a friend, to this day i dont know if its actually good or not

Severance BoD

Japshit is brainless button mashing garbage 100% of the time, i felt dumber when i played trash like Ninja Gayden and Gayonetta

I've played through and beaten Bayonetta, God of War 1 - 3, DMC3:SE and Ninja Gaiden Black on the hardest difficulties.

God of war was the easiest and the least technically polished / shallowest of the games by a large margin but it's the only game I seem to want to play again.

Something about the setting, music and how it plays just clicks with me.

Bit plebby I know.

This was alright if a bit ez

Have you played Dante's inferno?

Jedi Outcast and Academy are the best hack n slash game ever made, period. They have the most depth among all games in movement and combo mechanics. Great AI as well, they were like actual people playing the game.

You can mod Mount and Blade into a 1v1 game instead of an RTS by tweaking the troop size and spawn rules. That game has some really nice blocking mechanics.

I like Rune too. It's more janky than Jedi Outcast, but still fun.

Shadow Warrior has some great-feeling melee combat. It's first-person so idk if that counts as a hack-n-slash, but man does it feel good to slash enemies to bits with a powerful melee weapon with some special attacks.

Rune.

So how is Yaiba?

It's funny, I think if Ys 7 was designed for something other than a PsP it would have easily been much better than Felghana or Origin, assuming that not designing for PSP entails more detailed boss fights, larger areas and a z axis.Basically what I hope Lacrimosa to be
But playing it again it's so much fun, especially playing as Dogi. Although I have to admit Falcom dropped the ball hard with the text.

Or not Falcom, Xseed. The translation seems very off in a lot of places.

dear god no. Do not play shadow warrior, it's horrendous with awful combat.

I don't know if this really qualifies with one of the "best hack-n-slash/character action games ever", in fact it's kind of lacking in a lot of areas. But hell, X-Blades has already been mentioned, so why the hell not.

What we've got here, Heart&Slash, is an attempt at combining the character action/hack-n-slash genre with the roguelite meme, so you've got randomly generated maps, 70+ possible weapons that you can use, and permadeath. It's difficult to recommend, because by any sort of quantification it's hopelessly broken, but it's still incredibly comfy to play.

The good:

The bad:

It's like the perfect distillation of Fun: the Buzzword: the Video Game.

I would have gotten the game before, but something told me it wouldn't be worth it. Maybe it was the lack of post-launch content updates. Maybe it was the "oh look, another roguelite" factor. Either way, I'm conflicted about the game

Yaiba is so utterly shit that I was genuinely floored when I learned the same director went on to make Nioh.

I picked Darksiders Remastered up recently on sale and I'm planning on playing it soon. Does 2 actually improve on anything or should I just walk away once I've finished the first game?

Spartan: Total Warrior. Highly underrated.

To be honest it's the fucking camera that makes it not worth it. I swear to god it's the default unity orbit 3rd person camera with no tweaks.

The game is fast paced but the camera ends up being allover the place. It's a shame it could have been good.

Just call they them beat 'em ups for fuck's sake. They function the same way. A bunch of dudes appear and you have to dispatch the dudes to continue? What's wrong with this term? Technicality/depth is developer/game specific.

Character action is only a term Woolie and that red haired cuck propagate. And call them spectacle fighters if you're a cancerous cancer ridden britcuck.

Thread-related - Shinobi for the PS2, one of the best.

Fuck I posted the wrong picture.

Hack and Slash is a shitty term to use for this kind of game anyway because it's already a term for a genre of action rpg.

Character Action Game is what I use, but it doesn't really mean anything.

Also I've never heard of Woolie or whoever that is, but I think I picked that term up around when the first Devil May Cry came out.

Fair enough. I'm talking about the faggots at best friends play. They made me hate the term once they started debated separate games in a "Nah-ah that's not character action that's a STYLISH character action game." way.

Reminds me of metal splintering into sub-genres for the most superficial of reasons.

Also, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom, you can't actually lock on to enemies until after you've picked up some sort of head equipment. I think it also fucks with the boss camera in some areas, like when you fight Copgore, sometimes the camera works the way it always does, and sometimes it always follows the boss.

Nobody knows what "Character Action Game" means . Everyone knows exactly what hack and slash means.

Reminder that PC now has the version of Bayonetta with the best framerate out of all versions provided ypu have the computer for it

Damn, alright. I guess I'll just emulate some games and wait for something else to come along.

i dont even know what the fuck a hack n slash is. is it a diablo clone? golden axe? i thought what youre posting in the op was referred to as spectacle fighters. is there ever going to be a consensus on what a hack and slash is? i dont really care, i just think we should strive for clarity because thats what separates us from shit flinging marsupials

Yakuza and Shenmue will always be a class unto themselves. There really are no other games like them out there.

Seems what people are talking about here is a beat em up where you use swords.

Is this for real? How come CEMU is progressing so fast?
Reminder that there still s no way to emulate the only Ninja Gaiden game worth playing.

Now come on user, the OG ninja gaidens werent bad and ninja gaiden 2 is worth playing too

But once you've played Black, you have no reason to play any other.

But what about Sigma's 2kat

I have no clue. I was actually talking out of my ass. I've never any of the 3D games because I never had an XBOX. I'm a PS2 guy.
Going by the infographs, 2 Sigma appears to be the best. Is that correct? I do have a PS3.
Still no way to emulate either of those two.
I actually didn't like the 2D games I played.

I got the remastered version of God of War 3 on PS4 for free. I thought that I had never played through God of War 1 aside form the first level and none of 2. But the other day I decided to watch the SGB LP of these games just to catch up on what I missed before playing 3 and realized that not only did I play them years ago but I also beat both of them. My friend owned a PS2 at the time, so if I played them it was at his house. Why is GoW so remarkably forgettable?

What's the matter, the NES games 2hard4u?
I see where you're coming from to be honest. The nes games have their faults.

Yeah, jut need a pretty damn good computer to pull it off but I assume if you forget about 4k and can deal with slightly more dips any recent intel Core will play it as well as the console minus a few glitches here and there that might or might not get fixed sometimes in the near future.

WiiU architecture and API is similar to Wii and the fact that game devs don't care to do low level stuff anymore outside of the GPU means you can HLE more stuff without breakage.

Hopefully with the recent growth in patreon backed emulators a solid XBOX emulator might come up.

Bumping with some Fairy Bloom Freesia.

It's a little more complicated than that, and partly the reason why this genre is so difficult to define. You could call it a beat-em-up with swords, but then that doesn't necessarily include games like God Hand or Wonderful 101 or We Shall Wake. A beat-em-up with 3D movement? But then what about Viewtiful Joe, Rainblood Chronicles, or Fairy Bloom Freesia? Is air techs and juggling a necessity? God Hand, Mad World, Metal Gear Rising beg to differ.

Names like Character Action or Spectacle Fighter come to mind because for the most part, they're recognizable for being a god damn spectacle to watch. It's the same philosophy with people who use the term "cuhrayzee". These games are fast-paced, reward players for using varied attack techniques and looking stylish, and have complex combat mechanics that can be mastered, or in some cases exploited, for greater effect. It's like the meaning of Christmas, it's easier to identify than it is to explain.

Bumping with some iCEY.

Yes, it means Diablo, you dumb motherfucker.

Fight me, nerd.

Wizardry.

I'm a big fan of the dynasty warrior games, even though I acknowledge they are shit.

Are there other games in the musou genre that aren't made by Omega Force? I'd really like to play something similar to a musou game, but harder or with more depth or something.

Sengoku Basara series, Senran Kagura and Oneechanbara.