Linux Gaming

>used to play stuff that was much more graphically demanding without any issues on the same machine back when I had wangblows 10 (MGSV, Revengeance, no FPS drops)
I think I may be doing something very wrong here.

Also, anyone know any lewd vidya for linux? FC and CoC are okay, but I'd like some actual video games. Alternatively, any type of game will do, really.

Here's a couple of linux gaymen links I found over at /scurv/:

thepiratebay.org/user/Sarah116/0/3
rutracker.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=899

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/mtgo9
change.org/p/valve-corporation-remove-steam-support-for-gnu-linux
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Unreal_Tournament#Installing_on_Linux
pcworld.com/article/2921385/its-optional-for-now-but-linux-mint-expects-to-switch-to-systemd-next-year.html
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=230673
torrents.linuxmint.com/torrents/linuxmint-17.3-mate-64bit.iso.torrent
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOP500
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just pirate windows 7 and dual boot

I can't express how smug I am right now.

Actually only some flavors of LiGNUx are compromised. Truly free distros like Arch aren't a part of the botnet.

Then of course there's always BSD or Amiga.

Why not just pirate win10 Enterprise LTSB? Runs everything that I've thrown at it.

No I just steal software.

do you mind naming the distros that are compromised for future reference?

Dual booting is getting more and more attractive, but I'd rather keep spyware completely off my hardware.

OpenRC Manjaro a best nigger. Also consider QubesOS+Whonix or some other security-oriented OS if you want to cry harder about vault 7

Man I feel sorry for Wincucks, ya'll should give this a go and not drop it the second you have to type something in the terminal.

Just because the CIA can get into any of the compromised Linux distros doesn't mean they constantly spy on everyone who has them because then they would have been noticed immediately. Meanwhile NSA/Windows 10 actively spies on you at the OS level.

Tell me more about this please. Is it better than PlayOnLinux? Because I couldn't stand not being able to install my shit in places other than C://

Just make a symlink to your drive_c
ln -s /pathtofile /pathtosymlink

And Lutris explains itself just fine on the website, no need to spoonfeed.

I'm a pathetic excuse of a human being. Not worthy of being spied on. I don't even have any CP anymore.

Well maybe when they outlaw lolicon I can become an enemy of the state.

Just make shit games with microtransactions. Basically what PC gaming has become. MMO, MOBA, Pay2Play.

pic related

Can I apply symlink to the whole of the PlayOnLinux folder without it freaking out over dependencies or is it preferable to do it on an individual VM basis?

Probably, but I haven't tried it. I'd imagine you could symlink your whole home folder and everything would work fine.

You're a fucking retard.

I currently dualboot thought about running windows in a VM but it's incredibly ardous and a pain to set it up not to mention I don't know shit about linux I can install a package but that's it. I've managed to get a game or two running on wine but I like to play a few online games and I don't want steam on my linux. My overall experience with linux mint has been a painful one.
Took me 3 installs to realize that level 3 updates are not worth it. I love the idea behind linux but I don't want an OS I have to constantly battle, I just want something that works. ReactOS soon.

Lutris looks interesting, but is there any reason to use it when I already have /usr/local/games, PlayOnLinux, and Steam?

Whoa nigga you expect people to spoon feed you? Where the fuck do you think you are?

tbh fam I don't see much of a use for it if you keep your stuff in neatly organized folders already, plus certain emulators didn't work out of the box so fuck it

I installed linux in addition to windows after a recent hard drive crash but I haven't bothered to use it. I'm just keeping it there in case the new hard drive breaks I guess.

have you thought about doing GPU passthrough?

just get a second add and select which one to boot during restart. you can pick one up pretty cheap used on anandtech trade forums. dual booting on same HDD can be tricky with win10. I found 2 HDD a route simple and gets job done.

Lol my router runs linux, why would my computer need it too?

ftfy

You can't steal the source code nigger…

I can't get baldies to work on wine. It's an old DOS ported to '95 RTS that I saw on game dungeon and want to check out. It just boots up to a black screen. Anyone a pro at this shit?

The moment that GPU Passthrough comes in a windows .exe is the moment that it will take off
NEVER EVER unless you go full autist and learn a bit so you can follow a guide proper

For guidance, see this 3 year old video.

Explain further
Are you trying to run a dos game through wine, a dos game in dosbox through wine, or the windows version?

Gpu passthrough is a meme and requires you to use open source drivers with half of the performance of the proprietary ones, and then it still performs like shit on it's own and eats up a few GBs of ram for itself and loonix. Or you can fall for the AMD meme and get an AMD card at which point you'll be getting worse performance than nvidia with 1.5x the power consumption, and the "cheaper" card is going to cost you on power bills, a new power supply and a set of fans to put down the flames that come out of the vents.

here's a more recent tutorial on how to get it working in Arch: archive.is/mtgo9

I haven't tried it yet myself but I was considering it as an option for a future build. The guide is lengthy but seems to be written in such a way as to be accessible to a new user

I'm running the windows '95 version. I though maybe specifying it was originally on DOS would reveal if there was a library or something it might be using.

The installer also asks if you want to install DirectDraw, DirectPlay, and DirectSound.

Yeah 95% performance out of your graphics card is totally shit user. Def not worth it to encase botnet10.
Also, really, you're going with RAM use as the bad point? How's getting an extra stick so difficult?

Linux works except when it doesn't at which point it really doesn't at all and windows works, sometimes.
GPU passthrough means you get all the downsides of windows and linux with decreased performance as the piss frosting of the shitcake, while not helping with linux adoption because you're still on windows, just a version of it with overhead.
At that point, you might aswell dualboot and get a shitty SSD which will make rebooting and changing operating systems take 20 seconds at worst and 4-10 seconds at best

The point is being able to alt-tab user, so you can disengage from using your software in botnet10.
Why would I browse 8ch in an os that records my keystrokes?
I want my games, and my games I'll have. But for everything else, it's easy enough to go full Stallman.

I've tracked down a copy, and I'm getting the same error as you but no luck getting any further.
play the dos version?

There is nothing wrong with Windows. Meanwhile you go to a meme OS that only autistic programmers can use that can't play any good games and can hardly do half of the things Windows does. WTF?

pic related
Windows is a legendary mountain of ducttape and an absolute pain in the ass to work with. It slows down and breaks for inexplicable reasons not even Microsoft's hapless programmers understand, and solving Windows problems is more like ineffective voodoo rituals than anything else. It's specifically designed to lock normalfags into an ecosystem of awful UI and slow, often broken proprietary software. Literally the only thing going for Windows is the large userbase and backlog of games/software that depend on it, and the latter isn't even an issue anymore now that Wine runs most legacy games better than Windows 10.

At least Windows is usable. Linux is an incomprehensible mess that everyone hates to use. Windows has a nice UI and is fun. Plus it has games, since Linux is too fucked up to really develop for.

None of that shit means anything to most people.

Confirmed for having no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Prove me wrong then.

Tomorrow. I just finished my before-bed fap and I'm not staying up any later to explain the fundamental differences between Unix and Windows development to some faggot, or why home computing is the only place where a non-Unix OS is remotely popular unless you count vidya consoles, and even then Unix pops up in surprising places.

I haven't bothered trying it because the DOS window is 1/4th the size of the windows one.

Don't listen to these heathens. Temple OS is where it's at.

you are a nigger

I only speak the truth.

I'd ask who you are, because you're obviously not from around here with your shit taste in OSs, games, and general incompetency, but I think I already know.

come on man

Fuck linux and fuck windows. Both are pieces of shit. The smallest fucking shit goes wrong in linux I swear and you need comprehensive knowledge how to fix it. I upgraded to Mint 18.1 and now I'm finding the volume level is really low even when the volume level adjusted on nthe speaker itself is the highest it can go. 17.2 worked best, FUCK LINUX.

Any one with systemd.

Face it, there's zero chance of hiding from the botnet, if you're connected to the internet you're part of it. Everything is compromised.

I assume you have checked wineHQ. Say no and use winetricks to install those things. If some of them aren't on winetricks, check the libraries tab. Add overrides for those libraries (should be called dwrite, dsound etc.) and experiment with the settings (builtin, native etc.). Google in a more generic manner i.e. how to get directdraw working in wine. Google if this is an issue with the game itself and if there are solutions.

How's Debian for a first time Linux user? I don't really want to go near Ubuntu and shit, and unsure of bothering with Arch right now.

Am wondering this too. Want to try out Devuan but I couldn't even install it in a virtual machine. All I really want with linux is to browse the internet, ffmpeg, qbittorrent and maybe 1 or 2 packages. I don't need thousands of packages.

I'm not entirely sure about the packages I'm looking them up now and I don't see network manager or openvpn, stuff that comes with Mint cinnamon.

If you mean the library tab in winecfg I couldn't find them. WineHQ doesn't have jack on this game, it's too obscure. I was able to find DirectSound (I think) in winetricks but not the other two.

Go away, poser.

change.org/p/valve-corporation-remove-steam-support-for-gnu-linux

Considering the intelligence agencies have infiltrated every telecom corp and chip maker since the 70s: pretty much.

Daily reminder the internet was funded by the Pentagon. It's hilarious how paranoid people are about Windows and ignore everything else. What really keeps you safe is the shear volume of traffic to sift through. Until they invent Daedalus.

I don't give a fuck about any of that autistic shit, pedoscum.

Enjoy your nogaems :^)

Managed to install devuan and get this.
Linux sure can drive someone crazy. Not sure how I messed this up when I only made one account.

Mate.

Why not use Linux Mint instead of a semi obscure Debian fork ?

Explain.
I realized that at the installation it asks for root password and then it creates a regular account without root privileges.

I am using Mint but from what I read about systemd's privacy and security I'd rather one without it and with all the CIA scare I'm afraid systemd distros are compromised. I'm sure all of linux is compromised. Mint's pretty comfy though.

if you don't know how to use sudo, use su

I wanted to install the cinnamon desktop because during installation it kept failing. It told me it can't download it because it's missing dependencies so I'm reinstalling it now. I'm just really bored right now and I just want to install it with cinnamon.
Also isn't su root?

sudo lets you do things as your current user with the privilegdes of root

su lets you be root

you need to add your user to the sudo config to be able to use sudo

Ah, explains a lot.

I figured that out. I found one post saying to use visudo.

Mate, do you have any idea what you are doing? How about reading the man pages for su and sudo?

Just have a windows machine but use it for gaming and only gaming and nothing else.

Get with the times, faggots.

you may as well just install windows, there is no difference

It reminds me of a discussion on the MSDN about how to disable tabs. One guy asked how to do it, and some MS dev popped up of nowhere, and said it wasn't possible because "it's bad practice to disable things for users as it may be confusing to them and may not understand why they can't click on it". The other guy pointed out there was a library out there doing it, so bad practice or not, it was possible (he just wanted to do it with the WinAPI instead of relying on third party code). The MS dev came back to pretty much reply "do it our way, or else". That was the thread. Instead of trying to figure out how the information should have been presented so there would be no need of disabling a tab, it went down to: disable each element in the tab, but don't disable the tab itself. Reminder that they were responsible for removing drop down menus in favor of ribbons where there's not enough room to show every option possible, where some things are hidden unless you click a tiny arrow in a corner, and things suddenly appear or disappear in the ribbon when you de/select elements; reminder these are the people who think that "mouse sensitivity" is a "display" setting, not a "control" setting.

They also decided to remove support for INI files. Because "everything that can be done in INI files can be done with the registry", but they don't seem to understand that sometimes, you WANT to be able to create portable programs and you DON'T WANT them to leave a trace on the local machine. They justified their choice by arguing that you can't store non-printable characters in text form, even though programmers do JUST THAT using hexadecimal notations such as "0x" or "0h".

There's also a page explaining how "installers should be done". Turns out, according to MS own documentation, they've been doing it wrong for decades (to them, it's bad practice to have a splash screen explaining what you're about to install on your computer; just provide a path to where you want to install that shit right away; who cares if you downloaded a file many moons ago and don't remember what it does?).

I also love how users wondered why it was no longer possible to sort selected files in Explorer and keep the selection intact starting Win7. A dev replied "This is by design". That's your answer. My guess is that they changed the abilities of tree controllers, shat all over their API, and it was too hard for them to code it back the way it used to be. I had to fucking unlearn how to do things in an efficient manner, or rely on third-party tools to browse files. Thanks Microsoft.
https ://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a6fce253-a7af-407d-b9cf-6321ecb9fdc4/sorting-with-selection-kept-in-windows-explorer-why-is-selection-reset-when-sort-order-is-changed?forum=w7itproui

When they added native ZIP support back when they released XP, I was ecstatic. No need to install WinRAR to zip or unzip files. Sure the interface is a bit disappointing, but it works. When they finally included native virtual CD drive for ISOs, I was in heaven… but somehow there's no way you can convert your CDs to ISO without third party programs?

I'm done.

Pretty much.

Source games run well on linux natively. Granted you need to like those games in the first place but I was kinda astounded that the setup was seamless opposed to an earlier try at getting Theif to work.

What
You do realize to use GPU passthrough, you can't have drivers initialize it under Linux so that the VMs drivers can use it, right?

I hope no one thinks shit like this is funny or clever.

You probably set a root password during installation. root is a separate high-privilege account that you access through sudo. You can run "su", enter the root password, then run visudo and add your regular user account to the sudoers file (look up a guide for this).

Although I recommend just installing something friendly towards inexperienced users, like Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE.

Systemd takes some excellent security measures that other init systems don't take for the sake of portability, and it's only mentioned in Vault7 in a general usage guide, meaning that the CIA apparently considers it good enough for internal use. Systemd is fine.

GNU+Linux+SysVinit+OpenRC+ALSA master race.

Linux 'gamers' are literally the Vegans of gaming.
Just admit Linux is more limited than Windows at a lot of things and that you just like using it for your personal autistic reasons and stop making these threads smh fam

The "vegans of gaming" would be people who only play libre games on a linux-libre kernel, possibly on a librebooted thinkpad. We are more like "feels good to not eat junk food".

As long as windows users acknowledge that they are plebs it's ok.

The worst is when they are blind to their own hypocrisy.

You see it regularly on /r/pcmasterrace where they claim exclusives hurt the industry and console gamers are dumb if they stick with console for exclusives.

Then if you ask why don't they switch to GNU+Linux, they immediately shoot back that it doesn't have the exclusives that they want.

Alright, so they're more like vegetarians of gaming t. vegetarian

/r/pcmasterrace is filled with peasants genuinely worse than consoletards. During boston salt party 2.0 i made a reddit account and went there, and I got banned for spoiling fallout 4 of all things. So much for being the "master" race.

Linux is wasted on the new gamers who coast on the hard work of programmers and developers who made their ezmode PC lifestyle possible in the first place. Steam and Windows 10 are so easy that the kids who use them don't realize how technologically illiterate they are with computers. Regardless of how difficult Linux can be, the point was always to someday escape the walled garden of microshit directx and have an open system to play games on. That's the dream. The new generations of gamers would rather worship Steam and Reddit while Intel and AMD are liteThat said, linux is still ass for high-performance gaming.
rally putting extra cores into their processors that can spy on anything in the system. They'll snub Linux while each new iteration of Windows becomes more closed off and more malicious while older editions of Windows are broken through updates.

These fucking kids are out to turn gaming into another dead by-the-numbers business. Yes you can run your windows install for games, but be aware it has no future. Gaming on Windows must end and Linux or some alternative must prosper.

I don't go to reddit, so I don't see that regularily. You should go back though, if it wasn't for the fact that you reminded me Shimoneta exists.

You say go back like I don't have it open right now in another tab.

There's no master race. That's the horror of it all. People are playing the same trash everywhere only now in 60fps.

Why though

It's good for news. Not everything on reddit is the default homepage, that's like saying Holla Forums is all there is to 4chan or /gamergate/ is all there is to Holla Forums

With point release distros like Linux Mint, it's sometimes best to back up your files and reinstall the distro from scratch whenever there's a major upgrade like that. If you're going to stick with Mint I'd also suggest moving over to the Mate edition because Cinnamon currently has some huge memory leaks.

That's only true if by you mean shit like "doesn't have native builds of bloated Adobe software," and that's less a limitation of Linux itself and more Adobe realizing that Linux users would be less tolerant of their bullshit. Graphics drivers are constantly improving (and already way ahead of Macfags' stagnant drivers) and even shitty Linux software is usually objectively better and less bloated than equivalent mainstream Windows software.

oh I remember trying to migrate on linux

that was the point where I gave up
I booted win10, installed it in 30 minutes while doing literally nothing but watching some silly shit on youtube
15 minutes later system was fully operational and I was already playing a match

linux - never again

Are you a Microsoft shill or just retarded? What distro?

you've spent the last decade+ of your life learning windows, but 3 days is too much to learn an entirely new system?

stick at it, you were doing well. I suggest Archlinux

Please stop doing this. Run any flavour of ubuntu first or try manjaro. Both distros just worked for me, and you barely have to use the terminal (if you pick ubuntu don't use the software center, it's garbage, try synaptic instead manjaro's pacman is really hassle-free).

Arch is throwing him into the deep end without really teaching him much, and if you're going to do that you're probably better off suggesting a similar distro that isn't shit like Void Linux.

That's how my linux experiences go. You can take any Windows machine and it just werks, but Linux always has problems pouring out of every hole and then you need to copypaste pages worth of terminal commands to get the most basic things like graphics card drivers to work or install a program that isn't in the app store or whatever it's called, for example Krita.

That said, you should kill yourself for using Windows 10.

I tried multiple times with Ubuntu and Debian.

No way. This is simply not worth my time and effort. There's nothing linux can offer me. Literally nothing.

Arch is tough love, I suggest it because even if it's not the most minimal distro, it's bloody well documented.

I was a beginner when I installed arch. ubuntu/debian/mate/etc are honestly barriers for entry, they prevent new users from learning how the system works, they are great for absolutely incompetent users like your mom or sister (which i've both switched to ubuntu), but not for someone who should have some technological literacy.

You need to learn the system isn't windows, and once you know the basic foundation of how it ties together you can start to become a true user.

master race coming through

Arch is a joke, honestly. If you can read, you can install it and still not really understand what you just did. I didn't REALLY learn Linux until after a good amount of distro hopping, and settling on Opensuse Tumbleweed and Fedora 25 (XFCE), and playing with WINE.

If someone really wants to learn Linux, I now recommend www.linuxjourney.com.
Arch is a meme.

ok

Same shit, faggot. The point is that just installing a meme distro using a wiki will not teach you Linux, and to suggest that it will is retarded. You learn by doing a large variety of tasks, not having to prop yourself up with a crutch because the KISS philosophy apparently doesn't include a halfway decent installer. This little detail is why Antergos and Arch-anywhere exist.

May as well just suggest they install Gentoo.

I didn't claim installing Arch made me a guru, I claimed I was a a beginner when I did it, which you said was a bad idea.

But please strawman more.

aka installing arch and setting up a fucntional desktop to use as a daily driver.

I get the feeling you are just shitting on Arch because you've never used it.

jesus
i use linux as server os and for some programming shit but that chart is just fucking autistic

I get the feeling you're butthurt that your meme distro gets shit on everywhere outside of Reddit. Installed it a couple times. Was still a beginner after doing so. Also, you don't seem to know what a strawman is, but nice try at the "here's a fallacy buzzword I hear a lot" argument.

Suggesting Arch as someone's first distro is definitely not the right answer and then to argue about it when multiple anons tell you the same is doing no one any favors.

For a beginner: Pick a distro that 'just werks.' I used to suggest Linux Mint, but that shit, and other Ubuntu based distros, has gotten buggier than normal. Now I would suggest Opensuse Leap or Solus.

That's following a step-by-step guide, installing a bunch of packages, and doing a little configuration. You don't learn that much from doing that, and half of what you do learn is inapplicable to actually using your system. It's useful, but there are better ways to learn.

Other distros don't prevent you from learning how your system works, they just don't have a hard requirement of learning. If you want to learn about your system you can. Debian in particular has more options for advanced usage than Arch, it just provides easy options as well.

It is a more correct answer than your "install some graphical preset ubuntu knockoff and fight with it everytime you update or want to install something"

Maybe for a beginner with no intention to learn.

is this a joke post?

debian is awful for beginners.

Arch is undeniably the best distro for beginners.

Yeah arch is toptier

Command lines and config files aren't incomprehensible: normalfags used them regularly back in the DOS era. Windows pretends it "just werks" by hiding all of its bullshit backend from the user, thus leaving you completely helpless if something goes wrong. Linux problems are easily solved through web searches, reading manpages, or asking around on IRC or forums and mailing lists as a last resort.
If you're a game developer and know OpenGL or Vulkan, Linux development is fairly comfy. You typically use a cross-platform abstraction layer like SDL2 so you don't have to deal with OS-specific things like audio servers and your game really does just werk across everything you deploy it to. Porting is more difficult if your renderer uses DirectX: you can write a new one in OpenGL or Vulkan if you know how, or outsource to someone else with more experience. There's also companies that port big titles like DiRT and such using Wine-like compatibility layers: these vary widely in performance and quality but still usually run well if you have decent hardware.
I'd love to go into much more detail but you're probably a shitposter and I'm trying to keep this normalfag-friendly.

name better shooter on linoops

Please keep recommending ubuntu/debian type distros then. You'll notice they are always the ones complained about by beginners.

see:>>12123731

red eclipse

I find these posts really interesting. Could you please continue?

You know shit has become terrible when compiling custom kernel from scratch to use BFQ scheduler is more fun than today's video games.

nice meme

Any worthwhile arena shooter that wasn't released last week like Reflex.

Arch's main strength is its documentation, which is useful for almost any other distro. If you're actually going to set up a distro mostly from scratch, something like Void does the same thing with a better package manager, init system, and the freedom to chose between glibc and musl.

Sure.

I think maybe you people are retarded.

why would anyone pick anything other than glibc

To be fair to Linux: it took me a day to tweak win10.

That's not really a variety of tasks… It also more or less throws the user at it with only the manual and the usual forum entries to cling onto. I'd recommend picking up a pi and putting a minimal distro like alpine on it. Given it won't be your daily driver anytime soon but it has less stuff to break and allows for the realization of small projects like a media server, NAS or relay and doing those provides a nice introduction to some basic systems and workflows.

lucky no one listens to your recommendations

Out of curiosity can I ask where do you learn that sort of stuff? Is it just from experience or books or what? I'm very fascinated by this stuff even the most I'll use it for is for hobbies.

by installing arch

BS. Windows is the most used OS. You can google every problem.

Looking at this thread I can see why Linux will never beat Windows. So much autism.

Except that's actually a pretty good suggestion. Having a Debian unstable or even Ubuntu system as your main, day-to-day OS while using something more minimal like Alpine to play with and do projects on is an optimal setup. The Arch/Debian/Gentoo wikis are plenty useful no matter what distribution you use.

Upon which you'll usually find several cargo cult solutions that may or may not work. Windows documentation is a joke, which is to be expected because the OS itself is a mess of spaghetti code and Pajeet-tier band-aid solutions for legacy problems.

except it's a shit suggestion because putting learning out of the way means it's learning that won't be done. you wan't to learn lignux? dive in, give yourself no option to hide from it. every task you need to do, solve it, and you will gather knowledge.

Most people don't want to do that and if they follow your advice, they'll be turned off from Linux entirely. When you teach someone to swim, you don't throw them into the fucking ocean.

You have shit opinions and are almost certainly the caricature of an Arch user who thinks that knowing how to use pacman makes you a 1337 h4xx0r.

Peeking and tweaking around in the system you want to use as a daily driver, especially as a beginner is shitting where you eat. Not only will it hinder any other work that that person would otherwise do on a PC(Which is a big part of what deters people) but again it will leave people stuck in the middle with neither understanding the high level user-facing applications nor should they and they will fuck up understand what the system will be trying to convey to them in terms of error messages or simply mis behavior.

It's true that pacman can be confusing for a new user, but Linux GUIs suck and make it even worse.

you are the reason lignux confuses new users.

the point is you do fuck up, you will fuck up, you learn from it. if you scare people into never touching anything they will never learn, people should learn to wipe their hardrive, or break their install. if you coddle them with shitty guis and handholding in ready made graphical environments you may as well just have them use windows.

Allowing people to wipe their hard drive "because they need to learn" is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Kill yourself.

There's a reason pic related exists.
Now back on topic, if you're not a disciple of Stallman, and don't have any real issues with proprietary games, Linux can definitely be used to play a large portion of games, with the added benefit of not being under the thumb of M$.
If you don't want to migrate, then don't. I still suggest installing a VM, and seeing if you like it. There's an opensource version of just about anything on Microsoft. That said, there will definitely be some exceptions and programs that don't run as well. The average gamer has no real reason to migrate, but even just a half-curious user should give it a fair shot.

if they have fucking installed linux there is no reason they can't wipe it and trash their install, it's a fucking new install, they can reinstall it. you are fucking retarded.

It's a combination of experience and following the right resources. Phoronix for keeping up with Linux development and vidya, Wikipedia for quickly learning about different software libraries and things like the Linux kernel architecture, and as mentioned the Arch/Debian/Gentoo wiki trinity for learning how to set up and troubleshoot specific programs. I also watch dev talks on Youtube sometimes and read the source and documentation of vidya libraries and engines, although you can skip those last two if you aren't planning on going full freetard /agdg/.

Aside from and , there is also the developer's perspective. If you're writing software you want to avoid the "it works on my machine" problem, and as nice as a distro such as Arch or Gentoo can be you'll usually want to develop your shit on something fairly vanilla and stable like Debian or Slackware.

the funny part is that Arch is actually the most beginner friendly of all those distros.

I hope you are just pretending to be retarded man

make them use lignux and they will learn lignux

it's that fucking simple, now go fuck yourself.

Then when an issue arises, they won't want to work on finding an answer and then they will give up on Linux later down the line. If people can't be bothered to learn how an operating system that they are going to use everyday of their life works then screw them, they can't can handle the responsibility of free beer. I have no Idea why linux people want to bring more people in when it's clear that majority people don't care about software freedom or bothering to put in effort to learn how things work on devices they buy. It's only going to lead to another major software company that will just aid in spyware and proprietary software with a drone audience that goes "I DON CARE I WORKS, gimme gimme gimme". I would rather have the linux audience small and competent instead of large, showoff, hipstercredware that is slowly becomes something that stands against everything that it once stood for.

I will give this though Arch is a hard first install, so just install virtualbox to learn how to install it on virtualbox first so you don't fuck up your computer and are left with a brick you don't know how to reinstall. There are also other operating systems that are inbetween the install difficulty of gentoo, arch and ubuntu and Debian, which would be a good learning point too. But learning about the different operating systems and finding the one for you should be fun in itself. end rant

Wrong.

Can you stop being a walking stereotype and shitting up the thread? You're the Linux version of some faggot on /o/ who demands newfags rebuild a car as a "learning experience" instead of buying a good used vehicle and learning to maintain it. The average normalfag or Holla Forums user doesn't want or need to set up their system from scratch.

then they have absolutely no right to complain if they don't understand something

How?
Just run DriverBooster and go through control panel once.

You're probably a NEET but some people, believe it or not actually need their machines working.

Or maybe they just want to keep their data and haven't yet learned to put /home on a separate partition if they want to distrohop.
But hey, that's just part of the learning experience :^)

oh really, will u die if u cant play cod for a few hours?

And they don't need to understand absolutely everything from the beginning. It's a good step to make eventually but if I'm going to take this further, you're the faggot who suggests rebuilding a car before learning to drive and repair it.

yeah. fucking. right.

they will never know how to use lignux and they will always complain about it and so the prejudice will set in and they'll hate it for life

tough love is the only way, they will learn the values of discipline, self respect and hard work. you give a man ubuntu and he'll continue using his email and watching youtube or whatever, you give him arch and he'll give you back the next software innovation someday.

It would be extremely painful.

Sounds good to me. People who want to learn will learn. People who don't can use things that just werk.

"Say where is that paper you were supposed to submit for the course"
"Sorry man, eb44ac told me to scrap the system but then the dhcp client couldn't lease a network IP so I couldn't get any needed resources"
But keep on projecting

I exclusively used arch linux for my 4 years of college

try again you fucking imbecile

it clearly doesn't just work, judging by the replies in this thread

Why didn't you use Gentoo or LFS?
You're not some kind of plebeian who doesn't know how his system works, riiiiight?

Holy shit, good on you! But I was talking about the hypothetical new guy you numb nut.

i was a fucking new guy you god damn genetic failure

He's a collegefag and doesn't understand why anyone would want to use musl over glibc, so he doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks.

glibc is objectively faster and if you wanted to play games as this thread was meant to be about, you need glibc.

go get fucked by your high horse

so essentially the surface of mars in 40k?

I suppose you never got anything done then. You don't fucking use linux as a daily driver if you are new to it.

The normalfags I've installed Linux Mint Mate for would disagree.

jump off a bridge

Pardon. I meant you don't use linux like that if intend to find and work with all the nuts and bolts of the system.

heh

it's ok to admit you're retarded, your parents should have told you by now

I believe the best way to really understand Linux instead of just learning a specific distro is through installing and using something like Slackware, but that's not necessary for the average Holla Forums user.
There's a fairly decent guide for Holla Forumsacks interested in Linux, should I compile some basic infographic with some resources for Holla Forums anons? It could go from shit like Linux Mint Mate "babby's first OS"-tier stuff to things like Gentoo or Void on the upper end.

ehhhh? What do you mean user? Is there a way to run windows programs without WINE? Please tell me how!

if you are using wine just go back to windows you fucking cuckold

Please user…. At least give me a hint

He's an Archfag ricer who's shitting up the thread, you're not going to get anything useful out of him.

Sure why not, that way some of most basic things could be answered straight away. Just as a start, I'd probably start at linking to ways to dual boot since that is what most people would likely be most comfortable with.

Install windows

How could you NOT want to use GNU/Linux when all the autistics are loudly suggesting that you do? I mean, accidentally wipe my hard drive? I was JUST THINKING about how I was sick of trusting my Windows OS to keep safe all my absolutely critical projects I need for my livelihood. Too much simplicity and safety. Thank golly gosh for Linux!

someone already suggested linuxjourney.com

If you use Linux like you use your Windows, that shit really doesn't typically happen. Wtf would you be doing, normally, that accidentally wipes your hard drive without any prompts?

Wow you're so cute user you're just so enthusiastic and happy to help others to make this community better uhm thank you

He's probably the sort of retard who runs random code snippets from joke Holla Forums threads and runs sudo rm -rf /* .

I didn't see this asked, but what GPU do you use and what driver set did you pair it with? The current rule of thumb is:
Nvidia = Proprietary drivers
AMD = Opensource drivers (Finally beat the proprietary.)

The emulator lag is kinda interesting. I haven't personally emulated any DS stuff (mainly go with SNES, NES, and Genesis), so hopefully some other user can chime in on what that could be about. Again, my first instinct is to check that GPU/drivers. Or maybe make sure your rom isn't shit?

Your post made me realize I had installed the proprietary driver, but was still using the open source one by default. I've removed the open source one and now I've got the most massive of erections because I'm getting silky smooth frame rates and much better performance.

Well, it also made me feel rather retarded, but that's relatively common.

GIT GUD: THE OS

Xonotic or Unreal Tournament 4

Only if you want to set up emulators without the hassle.

You're right, Windows is a lot better than Linux if you delete system32. Trust me user, I'm an anonymous user on the internet so you should definitely follow my instructions without figuring out what they mean.

Damn near every one of us has been there at some point. Good on ya for getting it figured out!

Windows:

Linux:

this post gave me PTSD

Can you give me an example?

Except the first step of your Linux section works perfectly 99% of the time and is far less tedious than the Windows process.

oh the ironing

It's like this user said
Anyways, I've been through similar things more than a couple of times. Your 99% hyperbole is more like 70% or 75% at best.

I remember installing ASSP to act as a spam filter when I needed to set up a mail server was particularly tough.

Linuxfag here.
Try installing UT: GOTY directly on a modern distro. You'll see he's not kidding when dealing with getting old shit running.

To be fair windows isn't much better, Directly launch a copy of DOOM2 in Win 10 and watch what happens.

At least there's guides to doing that shit, like pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Unreal_Tournament#Installing_on_Linux

No, he said go back as in close the tab your currently on!

The only hyperbole was that it was just the first step, I'd say about 30% of the time I have to copypaste a line to install a repository but I've never had to build anything, I guess it just depends on what you use.

Last I did it was in 2012, and getting Pulse, ALSA, OSS, and SDL to have a happy little orgy was a pain in the ass. The fact that we don't use HAL any more makes things interesting. I also had to track down a specific version of a package that required me to scour google to obtain. Once I had everything in place It worked flawlessly, but It was a pain in the ass then and 5 years later it's probably not any easier.

If it really was just old shit it wouldn't be so bad
Though the lack of support for old shit and being too reliant on fast internet connections are two serious problems I have with pretty much all Linux distros
But I've had this sort of problems with NEW programs
Like, recent versions of programs that use ancient libs and dependencies
Every time I need to build something that's not available from the repos, I cringe

Oh yeah, I know. It's why I use Fedora, RPMfusion has almost everything.

Well yeah, if you only use Linux to shitpost with Firefox, write school essays on LibreOffice, draw OCs on Gimp, play Steam games and watch gook cartoons on vlc (whilst praying that the codecs work though), it shouldn't give you problems most of the time.
But then you try to get some real work done, and that's when you find out that you'll have to work for the OS more than it works for you.
It's no wonder so many companies and institutions all over the world that switched to Linux, are going back to Windows.

Have you actually used Linux or are you just memeing?

Define "real work."

wew

C'mon anons, you're embarrassing yourselves.

You know, programming, sound editing, video editing, cad programs, desktop publishing, setting up servers, or even trivial stuff such as using a shared printer or scanning a document.

All those meme reasons on why win10 sucks mean nothing to me. sometimes i think im getting too old for memes altogether
I just downloaded latest version and cracked it with KMS.

Now you are one with the meme

Windows sucks for every one of those things except video editing, and even then Blender's video editor is pretty good these days.

Sorry, was meant for this guy.

Read the last line of the post, sperg-kun

Running windows in a VM with passthrough in a distro like slackware is fucking top-tier.
You don`t do everything in windows, that would be fucking dumb. You run windows-only vidya in the VM, and everything else in the much more usable, customized slackware (I like being able to use a fuckload of keyboard shortcuts to control everything [though not VIM tier]) with generally better running, more customizable, and easier to update programs (browsers, media players, IDEs, file managers, etc.).

If you're going to use windows for everything, of fucking course don't bother running it in a VM, that's dumb as shit.

You have to disable the fog for DoS to run ok

How does one go about doing that? Using OpenGL instead of the soft razterizer? Because when I try to do that I get

(desmume:4934): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

daily reminder that the average braindead Holla Forumsirgin only suddenly cares about AAA shovelware is when becoming a microsoft apologist and defending their own selfish apathy

if you actually cared about "muh privacy/muh anonymity" you'd be running fucking OpenBSD
but of course you don't

if you are not using a free software OS you are the one being used.

Doesn't Arch have systemd too?

There is nothing wrong with systems. Ignore those fags

that's been for a while

I will shill my guide to you >>>/poltech/66

Linux Mint is a good first time distro and a good game distro as far as linux go but it's Debian/Ubuntu based so it runs SystemD and is NOT OpSec safe

what the hell are you even trying to install?
there is nothing there

Fucking run now, man. You done goofed and it got ugly. We understand, it may happen to everyone but things are how they are.

It's probably in good time if you have the matches and all the gas already. Don't burn only the computer, instead think the entire house and hope may smile at you. As long as you move fast.

Never, ever again speak, and preferably don't even think in your head about the name you've been using so far. Jack is gone.

mint is fucking ass

install arch

Say why its ass retard

see>>12128485

conceals the workings of the system and is prone to break during upgrades.

also is hard to use for new users because of the way packages are configured in ubuntu/debian, new users will complain and stumble around shouting how lignux is shit because they have to use thirdparty repos and cant figure out how to get the correct library for their architecture.

is, is that all?
I was honestly expecting worse

just install windows 7, turn off updates, and block microsoft's data collection domains

it's fucking awful for a new user, especially if you want them to play games as this thread suggests

can you elaborate on that?

I've gotten GOG Stardew Valley and GOG Hotline Miami running out of the box with it and steam works fine too

Oh hey it's the archfag again. Why haven't you killed yourself, user? Until you install LFS without help you don't really understand your system.

Mint is fine, as is Ubuntu. Debian is good but Stable is really fucking slow to deliver non-security updates.

you people propagate the bad stereotypes about lignux by recommending shit distros that break if you look at them the wrong way

One computer with Windows for games. Another computer/laptop for pedophile needs. It's not hard.

You still haven't told me when you're going to install LFS. Arch is babby mode if you're a Holla Forums stereotype experienced, competent Linux user.

I fucked up

see

Isn't linux mint 17 SystemD-free?

yeah I've had minimal issues with mint, but if he knows something I don't I want to hear it
any experience with Devuan? I've been meaning to try it and try getting it running and have been asking opinions when distro talk comes up
also checked

I've never had Mint break on me to be honest
what distro would you recomend?

God is it?
I actually felt like my copy of 17 ran better than the 18 I'm on now, like Cinnamon mint 17
that would be some shit if it is, looks like sort of
pcworld.com/article/2921385/its-optional-for-now-but-linux-mint-expects-to-switch-to-systemd-next-year.html
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=230673

Yep, just checked and mint 17 is systemdless. Only going to be supported until 2019, so let's hope devuan gets it's own ubuntu-like distribution then.

I guess I'm switching back to 17.3 next time I install until I get some experience with Devuan distros, there's like 2 of the 6 that looked decent

I had issues migrating my system to it, whereas Debian just werked. Some kind of issue with cryptsetup and LVM not activating. If you've got a vanilla-ish setup I'm sure it'll be fine, but I'd go with Gentoo or some Arch-alike like Void or Alpine if you want to avoid systemd.

17 is yes.
Check out Manjaro OpenRC if you don't wanna fuck around too much, because replacing systemd with OpenRC manually can be a bitch

I'm really just a guy that uses beginner distros and can write a nice guide for beginners, so I'll probably stick with easier stuff that I can show others how to use easily, even if I could probably Gentoo by now

arch

you people are fucking hilarious lel

No problem with that. I honestly think the systemd thing is a bit of a meme. It's shit if you like to mess around with your system, but it's not compromised or a problem for the average user.

Gentoo's only big problem is the whole compiling thing, I actually found it easier to install than Arch aside from the WAITING. I guess that's the price you pay for customizability.

you wouldn't happen to have a link for that would you?

Go install LFS.

Windows:

Linux:

The price for all those advantages? Sometimes I'll have to lose some time fixing problems. Yeah, really sad boohoo, life's a fucking bitch. How terrible!

you must be really bad at web searching if that's your experience with finding windows programs

Come on, user, you don't want to base an argument for Windows vs Linux defending the variety of software on Windows' part.

Next you're going to start explaining how you've become a faggot as a way to avoid aids.

i'm not saying linux isn't better; windows just isn't bad

Oh shit the whole time I was using 17.2 I thought it was systemd. I just installed 18.1
Time to downgrade.

Get ready to be spoonfed, here comes the choo-choo train!

torrents.linuxmint.com/torrents/linuxmint-17.3-mate-64bit.iso.torrent

god speed

I was actually asking for details on it not begin systemd and the support till 2019
I can find images and so a sha256 myself man

One is defined by variety, creativity, constant innovation and trying to fit the users' needs as they come.

The other is defined by stagnation, lack of any genuine desire to go forward, and forcing the user to adapt to the company's tastes and preferences.

user thinks he just has to say something good about the second.

Point?

10/10 not even mad just very impressed.

w e w

l
a
d

If you have an integrated GPU and a dedicated GPU you could boot windows in a VM (and pass the dedicated GPU through) while your host OS remains Linux based.

You have to check if your hardware supports Vt-d and Vt-x though.

You won't lose much performance some people have managed to squeeze near native performance (95~99%) you won't realize the difference if done properly and won't have to reboot your PC to play games.

I've never payed for Windows. Instead of learning linux learn to pirate. It's a lot easier and a much more useful skill.

Hell I wager more people use win10 enterprise than linux distros at this point.

It is pretty damned close performance wise, I run Xubuntu as host with i3 which doesn't suck up much RAM and I have more than enough to go around at 16GB.

Only thing that has been giving me shit is the audio and not being able to pass the GPU back to host OS hopefully that will change soon with newer GPUs and Wayland.

I approve of this post.

Funny you should mention that.

Windows by default doesn't let you even see most of the shit let alone give you permission to delete it. It doesn't let you have superuser permissions out of the box. You have to try really hard to fuck up your system.

Different user, I haven't tried AMD with linux before only Nvidia so far.

Nvidia has good performance with their proprietary drivers but they have been doing some annoying shit like attempting to block users from passing through the GPU if the guest OS is windows.

It was an easy fix with QEMU but I don't know if they will keep pulling this shit and I really don't want to resort to dual booting.

AMD also seems easier to rebind the GPU back to host, which I couldn't figure out for Nvidia. Not the biggest deal but I would prefer not to have to boot a linux guest VM to use the dedicated GPU when I could be running native.

Might get a vega for my next upgrade if it turns out to be good on linux, I hear their open source drivers are improving and not as shit as they used to be.

I hope Vulkan kicks off so that I don't even need to run windows in a VM except for the few games and applications that I can't get running with WINE properly.

I've *fixed* people's computers by installing win10 enterprise from a flash drive and spending 20 minutes in gpedit and powershell. Everyone's happy so far.

You never recommend linux to people who just don't want to see onedrive ads.

It is weird, used to get 2fps in a populated lobby due to some bug in EDF4.1 on native windows, but if I play it through a VM it works fine.

Do you also cure people's STDs by giving them HIV?

for what purpose?

This thread is a reminder why MS is terrified of Google but not Linux.

Same reason why you install ublock origin in your browser of choice? Has anyone here ever seen windows 10?!

They're not afraid of Linux in the regular PC consumer market, but they are very much taking it into account in the developer and server markets.

I just castrate it with KMS and DWS. It takes literally 2 clicks. Would recommend.

So ARCH LINUX. Gotcha fam.

If you're new to GNU/Linux I suggest Linux Mint.

It's very easy to use and can automatically install along side your Windows partition.
Works well with video games.

awww, isn't he cute?

You just have to be like this don't you.
Whatever, I just tried to help, my bad.

Linux is good for programming, web-browsing, and as a multi-media player.

It does not have the newest games nor the newest media-creation tools. We could get that shit on there but we need developers to help port shit over and also to get Wayland up and going.

Most developers are awful at their jobs and only make gratis freeware Windows programs…

You're thinking of Parabola. Arch has binary blobs that do not comply with the FSF-stated software freedumbs.

Waste of trips.

The opensource drivers are fast on AMD hardware. Not an issue unless you use Jewvidya like on one of my PCs

This

Let me guess, you're angry because you couldn't figure out how to install it correctly (even though it's just like installing Windows), so you ended up fucking mom's laptop and had to take it to GeekSquad to get it fixed and now you ragequit Loonix all-together.

Wew

If you want games, you can't avoid Windows. The point is that the user has to fight against Windows and keep it caged so it doesn't tear your face off.

Linux works for the user and alongside the user for the user's benefit.

We should encourage GNU/Linux as the de-facto computing platform (will also allow us to run on BSD and the like).

This isn't a tech tutorial forum where you can say bullshit, and people just believe it. I'd say it's safe to say that at least 60% of people here on Holla Forums have used Linux of some sort at least once. I've installed it a dozen times, and always ended up reinstalling Windows with a bad taste in my mouth. Let's go over why!

First and foremost is the idea that "everything should be free." This is a problem, because most of us aren't hippies. The GPL license is an infectious cancer that once infected into your project is pretty much impossible to remove from your project. So for anything you intend to release for other users to use, you now have this retarded impetus to give out your source code upon request, and you have to do that free of charge of course. Not wanting to release your source code means that 95% of Linux resources now can't be dropped into your project, you now have to use the very unsecure and unsafe practice of dynamically linking any resources you need, which creates a security hole the size of a small country on an OS where everything is open source because a culture of "phreaks" who hate corporation and worship a man who literally sits on 200,000 patents and receives monthly payments from big software corporations while espousing the evils of software not being free. And despite the claims that "Linux is not for profit" many of the executive officers of the free software foundation receive yearly salaries that look like an executive from a motor company, with Stallmanu the Freetard Whale and his best friends all getting 3 salaries because they work in the margins with loopholes to appoint themselves as working 3 seperate jobs in the same company. Totally not shady at all.

Then there's a culture of "suffering is transcendental" all Mother Theresa like, the idea that subjecting your users to the least enjoyable experience until they figure it out and then allowing them to enjoy themselves until the next update in 4 days makes them chew their fingernails and consider whether it's worthwhile to install the latest update or not.

Installation on Linux isn't so much "installing files," as it is downloading source code and waiting for the operating system to compile the program itself. This sounds like a good approach to avoid any kind of problems and allow the machine to support things long after the distribution life of said programs, but it's a flawed idea because of course, Legacy code bloats everything, having the OS try to figure out how to support a program with source code rot can expand the length of time to attempt to compile said program by as much as 100,000%.

Then there's the culture of arrogance. Linux users love to smugly talk about how they're so much smarter and better off than Windows users. Their smug attitude makes Apple fags look humble, and that's fucking saying something. And going hand-in-hand with that fact is the added fact that Linux has been confirmed the homosexual's choice for an operating system, with there being more homos on Linux than on Windows, despite the fact that Linux has such a tiny market share compared to Windows. I guess if you like to fuck boys who pretend to be girls, and want the HIV, you'll fit in perfectly on Linux.

Speaking of smugness and the retarded practice of doubling down, security. Linux users love to believe the idea that Linux makes them inherently more secure than Windows, but sadly, it's not so much that Linux is so much more secure as it is that no one gives enough of a fuck about Linux to actually target Linux users. Turns out freeloading bums who don't pay for software aren't appealing targets, either by commercial companies, "hackers" or viral attackers, so they choose not to attack Linux not because they can't, but because there's simply not enough victims to target in said attacks. Because Linux is all about community support a new update can be done almost instantly (unlikely), or take even longer than a big corporation (very likely, and usually the case) because "hey man, this isn't my job." Maybe it should be, because it's not fucking ridiculous to expect to get paid for your work.

With all of the software that's used to make Linux act more like Windows there comes this funny irony where their smug attitude about botnets and conformity falls apart, because the components used to make their OSes not act like a command terminal are in and of themselves logged resources which document every install case, leaving your footprint in the sand for anyone who wants to know what you've installed and where. And then we get things like Vault 7, OpenSSL, etc having exposed elements in them which makes rife for attacks and botnets.

And there's the undeniable fact that using Linux doesn't make you impenetrable. Any government agency who would actually want to get into your computer can probably do so without much trouble whether you're using Eunux or Wangblows.

While it's easy to configure most things in Windows in just a few moments, it can take quite a bit of time to configure your Linux environment due to the fact that everything has to be accessed through a somewhat specific breadcrumb trail through the system menu. Want to change your display resolution? On Windows you can right-click the desktop, hit personalize, and change it. On Linux you click the programs menu (which looks just like a Start Menu; for people who hate Windows, Linux users sure love to immitate it!), go to administration, display properties. Put in your admin password, now you can change things. Apply, and close. Oh but you forgot something, okay, just redo those steps, put in your password (again), and change it.. Every single time. Who fucking knew that the act of changing your background picture or changing your DPI or your resolution was an act of administrative authority? Don't have admin access? Then you gotta put up with whatever someone else set, cocksucker!

I've met smarter trash bag juice in my life

No.

buzz off

Nah.

You know, most people would be too embarassed to write such a long post about topics they know so little about.

That's the beauty of anonymous image boards.

You do make a good point about dynamic linking, and static linking on Unix should become more viable as musl matures. There's also smug faggots such as the Archfag, but almost every community has some of those.
Pretty everything else you said is full of shit, and your story about needing the admin password to change the desktop background is especially retarded. With almost every DE I've tried (even a shit one like Cinnamon here) lets you change it through right-clicking on the desktop, and tiny WMs for autists let you change the wallpaper through editing config files, no password needed for either.

He was probably trying years back when X was still an extremely broken piece of shit and ran in root.

what's funny is that's how they cured small pox with chicken pox

GPL does allow a project to be commercialized as long the source code is open and GPL only applies to the code not to other contents such as sound effects, sprites and anything else that is not really "data" in the sense that it compromises a program code. Secondly not all Linux based project are using GPL when things like MIT, BSD 3-way clause and Creative Common exist. ASE Sprite does that by charging moni for the already compiled Binary files. If you are using a Linux Distro that doesn't actually mean that your project is forced to use the GPL license I have no idea how you came to this conclusion.

Whose man? Stallman? He surely does not have 200,000 patents, where is the evidence for that one?

It sounds plausible for Linux Foundation or Red Hat where they do things like selling services and other stuff in being able to have several employers and due to other several corporate sponsors, A few dudes who are working on a forked distro such as Xubuntu, Mageia or Slackware hardly gets any money from their work and probably most of their income is from donations, Linux Mint gets a lot of donations and sponsoring. They still offer those distributions for free and the source code for those is available too somewhere else, not to mention that there is dozends of several Linux Distribution for all possible flavors for newbies and advanced users. Can Windows compare itself to that one? Nope. If Macroshit decides to shit out another flop like what happened to Windows 8 or 10 then your only option for that one is either stay with your current OS version or suck it down and upgrade it despite with all the freshly introduced flaws and there are plenty of Windows users complaining about that one due to Microsoft mischief.

I have used Linux Mint for 2 years and regular updates don't break stuff or rarely, the only risk from updating that way is by updating all the kernels and even then you can easily roll down to the older kernel as it doesn't get removed by default. Such stuff is bound to happen if you fell for the Arch Linux meme before using a more newbie friendly Linux Distribution.

I hardly go to any other Linux community let alone engaging them as I see no reason why, so I cannot write my point of view for that one.

(1/2)

Which actually it is the case if you spent the 10 minutes why and since you were too lazy making your own research about that one I am going to write it down for you. The first point is that common Distros comes with things like Sudo which allows the first made account to access it and nobody else so by default the first account will not have the ability to seriously damage it's own system since the / (root) folder cannot be accessed by non root/sudo users, he will only have the ability to change it's own home folder and all the content in it. In contrast to Windows users which at least during the XP era it was common for the users to give themselves administration right which bypasses all the security function the guest account has which results that much more users get exploited simply due their lazyness so when a malware managed to sneak itself on a admin account it can wreck havoc.

The second point updates: Modern Linux Distro leds you easily update all the packages without having to restart the system in the first place in Windows this is not the case as still on Windows 10 a restart is needed to upgrade a packages, now what does that mean? Windows users get annoyed by that fact again and hardly updates their system anymore because it often requires reboot and mix that in now with the recent telegram functions and double down a forced restart since the user cannot click "later" anymore even if the said user is compiling/rendering etc a important project. Couple in with the fact that several organizations, other firms and most importantly banking institute are running outdated Windows system such as XP where there are no more free updates or 7 whose free update last only a for a few years from now on, and those firms are even economical keypoints so if a hacker manages to break in their system some serious stuff is going to happen but luckily it did not happen, still this risk is out there because firms don't want to pay stuff to modernize their several computers and becoming cheap skates and don't want to educate their personnel how to use the updated system. If they were running on something Ubuntu based or anything else really they can freely update their system and it won't become all of suddenly a different product and they don't have to constantly educate their personnel anymore.

I wrote now at least 2 points which destroys your myth that Linux security is the same or even worse to Windows security.

Yet funnily enough those "freeloading bums" as you call them happens to run a few super computers or even several dozends servers since this is where also Linux excels at, like at least 500~ Super Computer centers that are running on linux you can check out Jewgle or Bolshevikpedia for that one en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOP500 . Linux is a bit harder to attack as you can simply grab a program via the terminal or a GUI so most of the time there is even no need visiting a dubios site for a binary program (2 options where Windows offers only 1 - via Internet Browser only). The Hacker has now several barriers to break in order to successfully spread out a false-certified packages first of all he has to get somehow a valid signature that comes from a trusted package maintainer, then he would need to break in a few mirror site and some of those mirror site have their own security measurement and of course hacking the site itself that is at least now 4 barriers he has to overcome in being able to spread malware not so easy anymore as he could do it in Windows eh?
(2/3)

In that case for the paranoia user he has the option to use Tails which is built to be as secure as possible by leaving no trails to the running system which should be bootable via RAM or he can modify his Linux Distro to act more hardened and setting off a few switches that disables things like installed packages and what else, Gentoo, Arch-Linux and other such variants where customization is a much higher priority would let the user disable all the logging shit by installing a different packages and configuring the behavior differently and luckily Gentoo and Arch-Linux is well documented. why a CIA nigger would be interested in program of GCC-4.8 that is installed I have no idea you tell me.

Since Government have a very large pool of resources and if they really want to get a certain person they have the resource to do it but in order to become such a target in the first place you must be doing some highly illegal things or so for that to happen, I highly doubt it they will do that for every torrent piratz. Protecting itself from the Government is anyway a very hard task in order to do so the person needs to own a few burner computers which are used temporarily just in case they somehow became compromised and having no highly illegal things stored somewhere in those computer location, I could elaborate this point a bit more but frankly do your own research if you want a highly sophisticated protected system.

Yes and guess what? Macroshaft and Bill Gates made it on purpose that every somewhat tech literate can easily use Windows that their main marketing point and their success in the first place because it is so easy to use. And yes it take's its time to learn a different Distribution which is just as normal depending how fast you can learn it takes maybe about 2-5 days to get used how Ubuntu and it's variant works and Ubuntu is made to be easy as possible probably not as easy as Windows but it is nonetheless you just need to have the patience to learn it.

I can easily alt-click on the desktop and change the wallpaper it doesn't ask for a sudo rights what Linux Distro did you even used? For the resolution in my case I had to use arandr for that which is for me just a minor inconvenience but due to your slave-mentality it is for you a shock and jumped straight back to Windows 10 because you don't want to use a system that is built a bit different and Linux even gives you the options of trying out different window managers and desktop environments which Windows lacks again in customization, you can install those also via a package manager or directly in the terminal no need to visit a website in the first place.

Next time I suggest you make a better research and take a bit more time before spreading several easily disproven myths.

(3/3)

This thread is now serious linux discussion

Thank you for taking your time in reading my post, I highly appreciate it that that you came here and not just simply dismissing by either just simply ignoring it or responding with non-sense post just for the sake of posting, through it would have been a bit more preferable if you posted your point of view with this windows versus linux discussion and thus adding more points to consider.

This made me install Gentoo. Thanks.

I mean uh Linux does have like 90+% market share when you're talking about computing in general as opposed to the desktop, and servers/big iron are much more appealing targets for hackers

but haha linux rite

Try Xonotic. It's a GPL v2 game and it'll run on Linux along with Windows and Mac. If you aren't good at arena shooters or even FPS in general, we've got some people you can duel and git gud with. Additionally, some of our players are willing to coach newbies to bring them up to an intermediate level quickly.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with GPU passthrough? I want to make the switch for avoid M$ bullshit, but I still want to play games.

Nice posts.

Don't pay attention to this fag. It's just worm.
Windows 4 vidya
Linux 4 work.
I can't really make this more clear to you.
If you want to try Linux games, start whit 0 A.D. On your machine (pc or laptop) and see the graphs (if they look fine, install steam and begin your quest)
Don't use arch just yet. Mint is great for starters.
Windows 7 is your goto option for vidya (there's a patch for dx12)
And please, stay away from win10. Will turn you into a fag in milliseconds.
Enjoy.

Alright I've read a good amount of this thread and one thing I do not understand is everyone's saying you have to learn linux to use it. What if I just want to use it to browse the internet? What significance is there to learning the ins and outs when I do zero programming? All I do is browse the internet. I've learned how to install packages although sometimes it's frustrating following instructions for a package adding a repository sometimes shit just doesn't work. I feel that you shouldn't have an uphill battle with your OS, it should just werk. It should allow the freedom to delve deep into the innards of the OS and be as simple to use.

Say if I were to install Debian tomorrow, I'm currently using Mint. What are the significant differences? All I can think of are the packages are different.

The community is full of elitists. I think it's unreasonable for everyone to have to know how their system works. Knowing how it works is fun, though, and getting familiar with the command line (terminal) in particular is great for automating normal tasks.

Debian does less hand-holding. You can get it to do a decent amount of hand-holding and let it set up a desktop and everything for you, but it's been too long since I've used it in a non-autistic way so I don't remember how much it ends up doing. It has less just werks but makes it easier to set up things just the way you like instead of the way someone expects you to like them.

Digging deeper can be fun and useful, but don't listen to the people who say it's mandatory.

Indeed.
I really don't understand that whole mentality knowing linux is mandatory. I assume every mainstream distro configures a desktop automatically for you, what more would I need than that? I don't need no scripts to automate anything for me.

So basically setting up the desktop with toolbars and other GUI settings or just system settings? Sounds like it doesn't require a terminal or deep knowledge of linux, seems it can all be done with a GUI.

Another complaint I have is simple stuff is never that simple to configure or troubleshoot. I can't seem to find any documentation maybe I'm searching the wrong terms but for the most basic simplest shit like changing the refresh rate it didn't work. I did xrandr -r 60 didn't work. I had to enable the nvidia drivers. All I rely on is forum posts because I can't find documentation. If ReactOS takes off, I will be incredibly happy.

Yes that is a good point telling a newbie who used Windows for ages that he should learn the in and outs of a typical Linux Distro is pretty a lot since he has to familiarize himself with the Distro first before going in any more technical depths and since most Windows users don't really know much how their system works and are rather the type it should just werk out of the box. The Linux Community should rather take this point a bit more serious if they really want to increase their desktop market share.

Hmm yes I have a similar experience as I was running on Mint I couldn't managed to get the Iridium Browser to work with the Ubuntu instruction and they are just writing the instruction for installation and didn't made any explanation for their unusual instruction, but lately they seem to have rewritten the installation part and it works now. Well there exist a alternative to install packages which is called AppImages, a AppImages contains all the data it needs to run the program and is contained itself so it doesn't has to extract it's folder first but since AppImages don't come with any additional security stuff not many package maintainers are offering AppImages for their program.

Ubuntu is working on a more secure model which is dubbed as "Snap" and the other model not by Ubuntu but is firstly supported by Fedora is the "Flatpak" model, the Snap model seems to be pretty young and last time I tried still heavily relies on the Terminal instead of having a more streamlined easy installation and running method. I did not try the Flatpak variant yet.

(checked)
mhm I assume it has to do with the X11 rendering system, well X11 is pretty old and I have read on a few places that X11 contains a lot of old stuff that is not really needed anymore for a modern system and maintaining X11 is not so easy anymore, there are now at least 2 replacements being made for that one the first one is Mir which is being made by Ubuntu and Wayland which is made by someone else for me personally I did not bothered installing those 2 since I don't have any major problem with X11 going on. I am not aware yet of any distros that ships with Wayland now instead of X11, through probably one of those KDE based distro might be using Wayland now but I forget it's name.

But yes Linux and the Open Source drivers can get very finicky and doesn't always just werk which it should do normally. I am using myself only the Nvidia proprietary driver instead of the Open Source variant as it doesn't use my Graphic Card to it's full potential and I get even much less performance with the Open Source driver.

Yes that is true as long the name is not Gentoo, Funtoo, Arch-Linux and what else. *Ubuntu and Linux Mint is currently the easiest Linux Distro available and the most used too.

I've set a few people up with xubuntu, and for them it just werks, only issue they run into is from not updating when the notification pops up every week, so I've had to reinstall for one guy after his version fell a few releases behind, the other person I was lucky enough to just force an upgrade. My mistake was leaving their house while it upgraded though, they interrupted the upgrade and I ended up having to boot one of the older kernels to restart the upgrade.
For the most part xubuntu requires no learning of the ins and outs of linux, you get a simple package manager, a desktop environment that isn't completely locked down like gnome3, and for browsing the internet it's just a matter of getting an ad/script blocker.

I sure haven't. The last time I interacted with Windows, 10 didn't exist yet. Hell, 8 didn't exist yet.

That's like saying "this thing is not covered in shit", as if that was something desirable.

Also, it's hard not being smug when you know you're not a shitter.
Wow, that took like 60 seconds to troubleshoot. Better install Windows 10.

did you even bother setting up the drivers for your GPU?

The Linux for Holla Forumsirgins chart will have to wait until a future thread because I'm busy backing up shit before switching distros, hope you don't mind.

lol typical useless linux cunt cant get anything done

Don't you have college, archfag?

what's it involve, also see

All valid and good points. Linux is good and all but can be incredibly frustrating to use.

Linux is the superior and comfiest OS for many things but NOT for vidya don't try to pass it as good for vidya because Windows is the only OS if you play a lot of different vidya.

I fell in love with slackware and built the most autistic game library I ever had on it for the longest I remember, on fucking slackware. And it was painful, I was proud of it, but I really spent most of the time tweaking wine and finding stuff to make things work. And I could do that because Im mostly into old games and classics so 70% of my games ran ok.
But you see I just cant accept that my system wont run SOME. I couldnt accept dual booting because Id spend all the time on vidya on windows partition, I was on the windows partition for months and never loaded slackware once when I had dual booting.
I want to play vidya. My linux could run almost all of them but even if it cant run ONE game it will piss me off. And it will piss me off if my comfy machine's proprietary drivers are gimped or underperform and the dx games still run worse than windows, not to mention you will have a great probability that patches and mods or tools just wont work. I forced myself to shut down the autism and decided I only wanted to play vidya and I wanted to go back to the XP days when none of this shit existed. Maybe I'll make a linux machine if I find some use for it but I doubt it, all I ever do is play videogames and I'm happier than before because Im actually playing now instead of tweaking. The only autism that I let through is minimal compared to before.

Linux gaming always bites you back in the ass. webm related.