Saturday night horror thread: Searching for new horizons edition

TIME FOR SPOOKS

I'm noticing a real drought of horror games lately. People don't seem that interested, so I thought of doing something fun tonight.

1. Go here: itch.io/games/tag-horror/tag-singleplayer
2. Bring something back.

My choice is The Mask Reveals Disgusting Face by some Russian dude.

zykoveddy.itch.io/the-mask-reveals-disgusting-face

Other urls found in this thread:

plueschkatze.itch.io/the-beast-named-eliza
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I had no idea this site existed, but there really seems to be some gems.

This one in particular looks nice.
plueschkatze.itch.io/the-beast-named-eliza

I'll take a look at it. Seems interesting.

Recently finished the first Thief game. It technically isn't a horror game, but had supernatural elements that's pretty unnerving at times for a first playthrough.

For those looking to play Silent Hill 3 in current year. Forget all about that picture. Instead, use Xinput plus to allow the game to use triggers as buttons (works for Dualshock 3, 4, 360 pad, anything that can use xinput natively or emulated) and now you won't need Xpadder anymore. Xinput plus writes a dll file to the game's folder so no need to run the program every time. For FOV and resolution, ditch sh3FOV and the whole editing of config files, just download sh3Proxy, configure that shit to your liking and you are done!

Nigga, the old cathedral was nothing short of terrifying.

I recently beat Dino Crisis. Graphics, level design, and the puzzles were all pretty great. I quite liked the fingerprint sub quests, where you have to ID a dead body and find their access codes. The story managed to hit that cheesy B-movie quality that makes the RE games so charming. However the game seriously needed more enemy variety, there is so much potential here with different dinosaurs. Your only real threat are the basic velociraptors, steroid velociraptors, and the scripted bits with the T-Rex. I guess I'm just too genre savvy at this point to play a game like this on Normal difficulty, because I could run past enemies without much trouble. The game gives you too many safe zones where the dinos can't follow you. I didn't even use the rocket launcher until the final T-rex confrontation. Health and ammo were too plentiful as well. I didn't like how you never find any in the environment, you have to use plugs to unlock the emergency boxes. The combining mechanic was a neat touch but I was never short on supplies so it never really added much to my playthrough.

Overall I give it a solid 7/10. The 2nd game looks like a shooting gallery and not horror so I'm not that interested, and as we all know there is no 3rd game.

The fan mission for thief 1 and 2 can be pretty spooky.

Is it that good? I hear this annoying puzzle system where you basically Wheel of Fortune style guess it.

If you're complaining about lack of variety on enemies and too much resources, never played the second game or you'll end up puking of the easiness of the levels. purchase system, easy money and retarded velociraptors Also, you can say goodbye to the horror setting, it's straight action in the future.

And user, never forget about the travesty of Dino Crisis 3. We must never forget, in order to never let that happen AGAIN

What started this trend? It's awful
Why can't devs rack up the tension by instead restricting resources, making fights a "do I waste ammo here, potentially fucking me over later or run?" situation

coz shooting baddies is wrong user what are u some kind alt right bigot? u have to hide from everything and if you fight back against the enemy ur just as bad as them!

boo

Check the Aliens FPS on PS1. Its a pretty good one for being an early console title.

penumbra black plague started it

Isnt that one of the few shooters that aged better than expected because it had Halo-tier controls?

For the longest time Survival Horror turned into a closet hiding simulator to appeal to bro-tier lets players who perfected the art of fake screaming.

Clock tower : the first fear, one of the best horror games.

Depends how far you're willing to take the fucking me over later part. If the player can inadvertently set themselves up for a failure state down the line without realizing it, I think that's bad design. On the other hand we don't want to baby players either (pic related).

Is that the 3D one? I remember having a demo disk for the PS that had a clock tower game on it, and it was scary as fuck.

Well, the system itself started with Clock Tower on Snes, where you couldn't defend yourself except by using the environment. However the system was dependent on scripted events and added quite a bit of risk and reward since you couldn't just crouch behind a table every time. The system was refined until it reached it's peak with Haunting Ground, where you had scripted events to defend yourself using the environment, hide or order Hewie to attack, while also maintaining complete control over your character. It did away with tank controls and kept the amazing semi-static camera angles. This allowed for better scares since you couldn't tell where something could attack from.

The real shit show started with Penumbra. The game was creepy and original with its atmosphere, but also featured a barebones "stealth" system that amounted to little more than hiding behind a table. Then Amnesia happened, Pewds played it, mops started touting it as the best horror game ever made and dollar signs started to appear in everyone's eyes. An easy to make system where the only things needed were some basic AI coding, pathfinding, maybe some position-based noise, spawn points and loud noises. Plot, characters, setpieces, camera angles, puzzles? Not needed when we can just do the bare minimum. The trend kept going after a while until Outlast revived it and thus we kept on getting the same shit. Sega looks at this and says: Hey! If we add weapons that don't actually do anything and shitty copy pasted puzzles, we can pretend it's survival horror. Let's add a bunch of fluff and cinematic moments, some crafting for good measure and BAM! Alien Isolation came out to great success to keep the trend alive a bit longer. And that is why all horror games nowadays are first person, based on hiding, with minimal puzzles and zero creativity. Bonus points if it's made in Unity and sold on steam.

It's the one on the super NES. The playstation one was good though. Really a shame the franchise went to shit after those two games.

Why does this shit always have to happen?

Same thing happens in the movie industry and is just starting to become a major thing in games. Shareholders want more money, so they decide to cut corners, take creative control and pass it off to cheaper staff to milk it to death due to its name only and previous successes.

At the same time though with games they dont need trillion dollar budgets to succeed, and even then you can do a lot with great sound when it comes to horror as many low budget indie horror games have shown.

Dino Crisis 1 was fucking shit.
Dino Crisis 2 is a gem though.