So the marker effects organic tissue and makes people insane…

So the marker effects organic tissue and makes people insane…

But the game takes place way in the future and the ships have AIs.

So why don't they just send in a bunch of AI robots who will both be totally unaffected by the marker, and can't be turned into additional monsters? Their metal bodies would allow them to better deal with killing them as well.

Since the future setting does not have AI that does that. If it did, the AI would probably not be able to distinguish Passengers from Aliens, either.

That, or the acts of System Shock 2 would probably repeat themselves ala Xerxes.

Well I mean, as it is we've got google home and such, and self-driving cars will soon be made commercially available. We're maybe ten years away from being technically more advanced than the Dead Space universe, then.

If I was in charge of the next Dead Space I'd work this into the plot somehow. It would make the game less scary (which is the real answer) but I'd then have it become more scary by having the robots become corruptible as well, and I'd give the whole thing a title like "Dead Space: Corruption of the Flesh" as well.

That's how stupid you sound.

see

Also if I remember right in the story Humanity was already short on resources.

Who do you mean by "they"?

(((they)))

The entire series is schizophrenic in terms of technology and world building. The background of the first game shows that humanity has wrap drives, exceedingly precise and miniturized gravity control technology in terms of both gravity plates and kinetic modules, all the essentials for an individual or a group to find a random habitable planet and make their own colony.
But for some reason humanity is downtrodden, facing overpopulation(?!), requires MULTIPLE planet-cracker class space ships to keep up with resource needs (even though one Earth sized planet would be able to fulfill hundreds of billions of humans' material needs), depressed because muh aliens and lacks any kind of advanced robotics technology.

Heck, if you take the third game into account, then you can see that there's been little to no changes or improvement to technology in over 200 years as you learn that galactic humanity has already faced the Marker threat before, defeated it without using the MacGuffin in the 3rd game, and somehow all of humanity, from Earth to the colonies, forgot about it.

Why the fuck do you care about this shit? Most of the stories in vidya are rushed nonsense.

I don't remember a single robot in that setting.

Really makes you think, huh?

I think you need to play through the games again, user. You're missing a lot of the story.

..You idiots realize superior technology is the exact advantage that historically as won wars, right?

Your argument is like saying
was a bad strategy.

It's all forced and bad writing, which shouldn't even be taken serious but instead being laughed on.

I was not aware tanks were autonomous, unmanned fighters.

They are now.

I think the rhetoric here is to ask yourselves why there weren't more tanks on the field than there were infantry.

Because the original Marker was found on earth and is still there. All things marker related are tied to EarthGov and High Ranking Unitoligist.

Anybody who would know about a markers location is already too far gone to realize it and are just acting out the markers wishes to spread Humans around the cosmos to build more Markers to create a Universal Convergence.

If Dead Space 3 was any good we could have at least went to earth and seen this shit at ground zero and gotten some real revelations about the Marker's effect. Instead EA cut the game in two and hoped that it would sell well enough to warrant the other half as Dead Space 4.

So we'll be getting Dead Space 4 then?

I remember EA saying they have shelved the series because DS3 (unsurprisingly) sold like shit and received equally shitty feedback.

iirc the Ishimura is an old ass ship ala the galactica in Battlestar Galactica.
And most of the problems stem from unitology which whorships these things and doesn't care or/and doesn't know about how the marker operates.

Because it is neither the goal of EarthGov nor Unitology to destroy the Marker and Nekromorphs. They want to study it or worship it. And this requires human interaction of course. Also it is heavily implied that the Marker indoctrination starts almost immediately, so everyone who works with the Marker is heavily influenced by him long before they turn completely insane and finally into necromorphs.

You just solved 75% of the problems in horror fiction

No, they killed everything at the end of 3
Earth gets eaten and humanity is mostly wiped out

So where would you guys set a Dead Space 4 in the unlikely event it was going to be made? Reboot? Remake? Go to Earth and kill the Brethren Moons?

Probably Earth, with Isaac executing some batshit insane plan to kill off the moons that just might work. All while navigating gloomy, cold, dead cityscapes and jumping at every sound and shadow, like it was in the first game. Preferably with an extremely dramatic but ambigous ending that makes it impossible to determine whether he succeeds and dies in the process or fails and dies in the process.

I wouldn't
put the resources towards a different project, the dead space ship has already sailed and sank

As another user said, they should have done 3 based on earth trying to uncover more secrets about the original marker while continuing to lose your mind due to extended exposure

I agree with this user.
I would like more sci-fi horror, though.

I never did understand this part.

Like, what do they DO with all that shit? Even one mid-sized moon probably has a million times more raw materials than have ever been dug up and used on earth since the dawn of history. Let alone a whole planet. Earth is 81 times as massive as the moon.

Like, they must be wasting so much shit that their garbage dumps become brand new planets. Shit just doesn't make any goddamn sense

Aside from the fact that nobody but Isaac and pals seem to have any interest in getting rid of the markers, didn't the marker completely fuck with all the computers in Dead Space 1?

of course, maybe that was just isaac being cray cray.

I'm gonna give them the absolutely most stretched possible benefit of the doubt and say they need specific amounts of resources from specific planets, and that's why they go out to so many different planets, because of their abundance for a specific resource.

But everyone knows that's retarded and the reality is that the writers are just dumb

The games say they're after energy not resources and that's why EarthGov wants to exploit the markers as they generate infinite energy. What I don't understand is how many times have people "uncovered the truth" about the markers?
From what I counted, it seemed to have happened 4 or 5 times and its just retarded because it was all buried/hidden each time.

This shit was retarded. Being able to construct markers means they are made out of mundane materials, through comprehensible processes. Any time you try to explain (or pose a logical reasoning) supernatural phenomena, you lose the fucking plot. It's supernatural precisely because it DEFIES explanation. It also removes any sort of threat, since it can be dealt with - either controlled or destroyed - by mundane means. It ceases to be threatening, and instead just becomes an engineering problem to be solved.

Why can't people just leave ancient unspeakable horrors, unspoken? They should remain elemental forces to be endured and survived at the absolute best.

Speaking of the unspeakable, I also thought making Issac a voiced protagonist was pretty fucking retarded. The first Dead Space was alright, because the focus of the story was on the events of the Ishimura - and the character was just a proxy for stringing the player along through the horror show. Dead Space 2 put the story focus directly on Issac, and then made him the most absolutely bland milquetoast boring fucking character imaginable. I get WHY they did it, and why they THOUGHT it would work. It's just that it doesn't.

Haven't tried Dead Space 3 yet. I think it's probably best if I just use DS2 as cautionary tale to ignore the rest of the series and just enjoy DS1 for what it did right. If I try DS3 and it's even worse, that may retroactively taint my enjoyment of DS1 and make the entire franchise irredeemable shit.

DS3 is a joke, it's a cover based shooter and you frequently fight fun wielding enemies

Because the writers of said games or films really aren't good at their jobs

That's even more retarded. The Sun produces far more energy than we'll ever need. Ever.

Yeah, it falls apart when you look at it closely, why would they be cracking planets in the first place, why not smaller bodies like asteroids
They should have just had your ship be a deep space exploration vessel, which would justify the need to collect/refine various resources

It sucks when companies sit on gold mines and have no way of realizing how much they can profit from them.

As mediocre as DS3 was, please don't pull shit out of your ass and pose it as fact.

That would make too much sense.
Also, that got me thinking. It would make for a perfect prelude for the series. The first humans ever to get fucked my the markers.

How is another co-op zombie game a gold mine?

Jews have low IQs, which is why everything they run seems to fly apart at the seams instead of being impressively menacing.

It's not just a zombie game, you cunt. IT'S A ZOMBIE GAME
IN SPACE
=uuUUUUUUuuuuuh==

using 'their memes

Some parts of 3 are okay, especially the part where you're in space and you have to investigate 200 year old abandoned ships. Rest of the game isn't worth shit though.

The original black markers were made from ayylien materials that we didn't have, we made imitations (the red markers) but due to not having all of the same materials they had to swap out some, causing the color change. Also I think it's said at some point the black marker and red markers have some small differences in functionality but are mostly the same. It's never really explained how they work exactly, how they transmit and are able to do all the shit they do, it just works.
The moons being behind everything in 3, and 2+3 being more focused on Isaac and his drama was fuckin gay though and did ruin the feeling.

In 1 Isaac and friends went there not knowing about the necros at all
In 2 Nobody sees it coming and there aren't any AI that we see in the civilization anyway
In 3 he had to leave the place in a hurry cause it was hitting the fan, and the space ships he stops at along the way are long abandoned, also no AI
The government and the major religion both didn't give a fuck about getting rid of necros or the markers, only hiding them, and since common corps and people didn't know about the threat, AI robots were never created for that specific task

That one ship with the cowboy with all the traps is my favorite part of the game, gave me some serious feels man

I have an idea for a dead space inspired roguelike I will start on Some Day™
Basically it would only be inspired by the first game, and its gimmick would be dealing with the hand dealt to you. You are on a ship, something is wrong with it, and you have to leave. Pretty much everything else would be randomized. Your occupation would give you 90% of the skills you have to work with over the course of escaping, so you can't become an electrical engineer as a marine, and you can't become a programmer as a botanist. The problem you encounter would be chosen from many things, including disease based enemies that are the former crew, intelligent aliens who have captured the ship, cultist crew trying to do something nasty, and weird shit that you can't figure out decisively what is wrong, perhaps similar to Event Horizon, or the early effects of the Marker, or demon possession, or what have you.
The focus of the gameplay would be on neutralizing threats (whether that be killing them, sneaking past them, herding them into different areas, or whatever) using your (randomly chosen) skillset. There would be multiple ways to win, such as eliminating the threat, repairing the ship, activating a distress beacon and surviving until help comes, or escaping on an escape pod.
I wish I had all the time in the world to make it.

So, like a single player ss13? Where the first thing you have to do is get Captain access and somewhere down the line call the shuttle?
Sounds cool.

I actually really enjoy DS2 for having Isaac become hardened (and fucking PISSED) towards the necromorphs. While the horror vibe isn't as strong, it was a clear progression of the character and the player too. I think the devs understood that fans would be harder to scare so they made the game more action oriented with Isaac being a tough mother fucker who just wants the shit to end. I'd imagine a first time player to the series would still be freaked out in DS2, but they'd quickly adjust (like Isaac and co).

The real mistake to me is having Isaac as the MC in DS3. It's totally unnecessary for him to be a player character at that point as he's completed his arc. Dead Space 3 suffered from too much meddling and not having a clear focus. It should have been a new main character with Isaac present as some advisor or figure referenced throughout the story. They could have focused more on action and had the title be a spin-off too, admit that Dead Space as a horror series would be on ice while this so fans understand what's happening. Instead of "PULPPULPPULPPULP".

Here's some more.

might be interesting if there was a re-boot with a new MC, going to a colony or something and having it completely abandoned or few survivors due to a marker and its just a story of the MC subtly getting dementia throughout the game until its overwhelmingly obvious and at about that time you find the marker

there was an AI in 2 and if it was any indication of how well developed they are at the time, they were in the early development of AI's

That was just Isaacs dementia setting in

i just assumed that crazy people fucked with the computers. or its just space magic.

really makes you think

Like pointed out, wasn't there an AI in 2 that had might have become corrupt or even rouge, meaning the technology might not have been up to par yet? Besides, EarthGov didn't even seem interested in wiping out all necromorphs, they just wanted to mess with the marker, and if an outbreak occurred, then oh well. They seemed relatively unfazed by the outbreak in 2, and might have had things under wrap until Isaac fucked them and triggered a convergence. Not to mention the Unitologists within EarthGov that also wouldn't give a shit if more people got turned into Necromorphs, and could sabotage any AI soldier in the works to help achieve that. It's been awhile since I've played Dead Space though, I might be off on some stuff.

what a way to miss the point

That's already been done. Everyone seems to have forgotten the first Marker humanity encountered was on Earth

You're stupid and that's boring.
Eat a penis.

Neither of those two technologies are particularly good, with google home essentially just being voice commands at a central point which can be hacked and allow full control once compromised of whatever it has access to control and the other essentially being a "please kill me sign" and a "I'm too much of a pussy to learn to drive manually" sign.

Besides if these moons are even half as advanced as it's implied with making the markers being more advanced then the human faction doesn't mean much, they could just control the ships outright without assimilation if they wanted to.

I bet the CIA promoted/funded the Internet of Things.

And thank fuck for that.

Let me guess, you or your dad is a truck driver, taxi driver, or delivery man of some sort.

Xerxes goes insane because an infected crew member hacked it. Sure, Shodan was there with the eggs but without the proper material, she would have had no chance of doing it herself. Also, it was those dumb humans who got mind-controlled by the anelids and then carried the eggs back into the ship, condemning the whole stupid human crew.

Anyway, anyone here has Earth's President phone number? I realized I lost it and I'd love to talk to him about human feelings and stuff we have in common, you know, as fellow humans.