RTS Thread

So anons, what do you think of RTS and FPS Hybrids like Battlezone, Natural Selection, Nuclear Dawn, Carrier Command, Empires Mod etc? Niche genre within a niche or best genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamspy.com/genre/Strategy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_War:_Warhammer
archive.is/ZKCnW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Niche games and hard to pull off
But when they're done well, as in battlezone and battlezone 2, they're top tier

One person goes commander and can produce computer units to send against enemies while anyone who joins can activate a structure put down by the commander to build a vehicle and go off fighting. Very hard to gameplay wise to pull off but pretty satisfying when it does.

Are Orcs just brokenly OP compared to Humans in WC2?

That was the shit. Shame nobody plays it anymore.

my dream RTS is to be able to command while my friends play as hero units who can take squads and equipment I produce to make pushes on the enemy base while I autism a very indepth tech tree and base buildtans

There were so many custom maps in warcraft 3 that did that
Its a shame so many game developers didnt get it, Natural selection 2 is probably the closest most recently, It just didnt have extra AI's acting as cannon fodder

Instead now all we get is ASSFAGGOTS and dlcfests

just got done doing some youtd and elementtd in wc3 actually

God there were thousands of those
Some of them were pretty good
Still i think i preferred Castlerush (or was it castle fight?)
The one where instead of towers it was more focused on building automatic Unit builders that Fight across 2 lanes

Isn't Nuclear Dawn kind of like this? I do wish we'd get more RTS hybrids. Batallion Wars on the Gamecube was a lot of fun.

I should give that ago sometime then

not heard of it but I do know there's afew games like this out and all of them are shit

You could try playing AI War which gives you more than enough base and tech to autism while your friends go around causing trouble with their hero ships. Downside is that you cant really give them anything, however you can enable shared unit control and let them take from you what they need.

is it as indepth as warzone 2100 is?

I have not played that so couldn't say
the best thing would be to watch some videos on it or try playing it yourself as it's such a clusterfuck that I can't really begin to describe anything in detail.

that's what put me off from trying it in the first place, it looked like a what happened if someone made a vidyme out of EVE online fleet battles in nullsec

Best series. Rest in peace.

Are there any RTS' with micro of unit abilities and an alive multiplayer community? I was thinking of looking into WC3, but googling to see how the community is turns up that it's full of botters, hackers, and DotA shit.

I really wish we could Make RTS Great Again

you can rename troops in Tzar

wc3 still has a scene, not as big as it once was mind you

have to make our own rts

but then I'd be sad when they die

Shame that the Scrin were cut from Tiberian Sun so all we got to see was their ship

I'm pretty sure the ship was just staged by kane to throw off GDI

Mental
Omega

Not really. Scrin were meant to make a larger appearance in Tiberian Sun before being one of the 5 factions in Westwoods version of C&C 3. Tiberian Sun was meant to have more shit linking in to that game and the idea was that there would be a taster mission where you'd face off against some Scrin Units to have a premonition of the shit to come. Anyone have the screencap of the Petroglyph forums post where the former Westwood devs posted the concept art and story?

Tiberian Incursion was going to have GDI, Nod, CABAL fighting it before getting their asses handed to them by the Scrin, before an expansion that introduced The Forgotten as a playable faction would go literal Super Saiyan on the Scrin's ass with Tiberium based abilities

that's the kinda thing which makes me alittle bit glad it was cut

At least it was a better story and ending than [Error: Game does not exist]

tiberium never came out so we don't really know how it'd be, probably for the better though some of the concept art looked really off

Can you actually vary from the meta in WC3 or are you pretty much stuck to it. Like, one thing I know is you basically always get a death knight because their death coil spell is OP as fuck for healing.

I'd say the meta is very strict for orcs if anything with undead you can go Crypt Lord or dread lord and things will be o.k still while as with humans every hero is viable and the same can be said with night elfs

Is there a way to fix StarCraft 1's resolution problem on W7 at 1920x1080 without having to reduce my screen resolution?

I think he was referring to the game that shall not be named. Tiberium was even bigger tragedy, it was literally going to be Ghost Recon mixed with Republic Commando and Deus Ex

Speaking of cut content, do you think Fel Orcs were ever planned as their own independent faction in WC3?

I remember browsing through the game's model files and finding an unused model for a Fel Orc that had an uncanny resemblance to Wolverine, with two claws as weapons (filename listed it as "Axethrower" though).

Also, fun fact: The game files have an alternate skin texture for the Demon Hunter which shows him with poorly drawn sunglasses, a cigarrete in the corner of his mouths, and a big handgun in his right hand. Guess even Blizzard themselves knew that he would be the edgelord hero most popular with a certain kind of audience.

Let me guess. Blademaster into workers. Every single time.

Almost as fun to play against as the Divine Intervention Paladin.

Depends at what level you play. Orcs can run Far Seer and harass with wolves if they're good.
Humans are best for variety.

That's pretty much it.
If you're a Human, you only need to build some arcane towers and not pick the archmage.

Sure. People still pull all kinds of alternate combinations on the regular servers that work.

at least it was a side game canned and not a side game made main

every tiem

not even the professionals do that in tournaments

Right then, this should make you less mopey. At least, I hope so.

They're hilariously hit or miss when it comes to games
They managed to fuck up Red Dragon and AoA pretty bad

Are you so jaded that you can no longer be even cautiously optimistic about any new game?

This dude right here?

Yeah, I remember reading that the Burning Legion was supposed to be its own faction before it was cut. That's why there is still a "demon" faction in the editor.

I want a first person real time strategy. Kind of like roman general sim.

I know that there have been a RTS where you could take over some hero units in first person and fight

Dont remember the name trough, the game was set in ancient times i think, with greeks n shit

hype isn't being cautiously optimistic though

There's been a handful like that. It's specifically the commanding units using a realistic chain of command I want.

Rise and Fall: Civilisations at War?

Yes exactly
Thank you

maelstrom you can also do that

God, the new faction looks really ugly. Either the flashy, neon style or the unsynced frames.

Indeed

I think i know what was going trough speeder (main dev) head trough out the development

it's more then likely a self insert faction

Probably
Also
fugg you speeder

what's with the trash music that doesn't fit the theme?

also the sprites look straight out of another game entirely and what even are they supposed to be?

rule of cool baby

Only now doI realise that Milagro literally is "Melee Aggro". Deepest lore.

Are you implying that they are more lore-rapey than Empire of the Rising Sun?

Bravo speeder

that's pretty deep

the only bullshit of that was time traveling to kill Einstein because without him then there is no time traveling

I really miss this game.

I think Foehn is a product of the devs having too many disparate unused ideas which didn't fit the existing factions so they said fuck consistency and just vomited all of them into a new faction. Which leads to Foehn having no real identity or niche other than "quality over quantity" aka
Thanks to the user last thread who suggested the way to beat them is by forcing them to interact. I've been rushing all day and harvesting Haihead tears.
and so on. I expect this shit to keep working until they stop being brainless idiots and build something other than t1 infantry and Jackals.

The balance of the old factions is pretty okay right now, it's just Foehn who are dumb.

so play it

I can't. It doesn't work on Windows 7.

That's kinda the classic mecha anime plot - discover ancient civilization tech that allowed to build effective giant humanoid robots because they won't make sense otherwise as tanks and whatever are superior. Weapons mechs use is human tech so it turns out using ancient tech to beat the shit out of each other with large chunks of steel is super effective.

This pisses me off so much
Instead of adding 4th sub-fraction to every established fraction to add variety they decided to shit out 4th new fraction

Bullshit, I installed it on Windows 7 a few months ago. Force it to run in 256 color compatibility.

Don't forget the allied strats
And if he's retarded and doesn't spam AT infantry

1. wc3, just play the normal game and choose automatch
2. soulstorm is alive and well
3. dow 2 retribution (with elite mod on weekends and evenings), pure micro and no macro at all

Wait you got it to run just by doing that? I had blackscreen issues and all sort of color issues when doing that. Was there anything more you did?

Nope, that should have been it. I know I got it working using the download from isozone and ticking that box. The computer I installed it on is packed away right now, let me see if I can unpack it and figure out if I did anything else.

I kind of call bullshit on that one. I had to download a chunk of old Direct X code that was no longer in use to get it to work again. Fuck though, Submarine Titans was such a good game, shame it's a bit under the radar

Cheers user

Link?

played. it's a buggy shit pile

Well that took longer than I would have liked. Had to setup a DVI monitor because I just swapped graphics cards out of it so it has a GTX280 in it again. So I have a tool in the install folder called "DirectDraw_Compatibility_Tool" and I can just run that and it runs fine. I can't take a screenshot because DirectDraw is fucked otherwise and when I alt-tab to switch applications, the colors get fucked. No way to run windowed, either. It does work though, and I think the tool comes packed in with the Isozone download. This is running on W7 SP1.

Looks pretty nice, is multiplayer alive?

i think warcraft 3 would have been improved a lot if it had more than 4 fucking factions

I think it would have been improved if it didnt had all this proto moba elements like hero focus and creeps

IT'S TIME TO BE PURGED, YOU FILTHY GOYIM!

sadly I'd have more of these bad boys ruling the sky before you can get even one of those up, assuming that is you even can get it up

go ahead and be cost ineffective, I'll be over here on the beach dipping my bricks

gunships are massively cost effective, you're right there

Being able to fire on the move is probably the biggest advantage of Aeon ground troops

sure, good luck finding any targets and keeping up with them

Bricks an cute.

You would be slaughtered and their corpses will be reclaimed
Even if you were able to even get past the shields of a single Harbinger they can easily repair each other
And the worse part is you actually think that i wouldn't have an omnisensor in range at tier 3, I mean they're like cheap as fuck and can be quickly built

bricks out range your shit but they're only there to laugh at the mass grave this bad boy sow'in

FUCK CYBRAN
FUCK AEON
FUCK SEPHARIM
UEF PRIDE GALAXY WIDE

So does anyone actually play FA or does everyone play FAF. Just checking, because there are differences.

I mainly play FA, thinking of changing to FAF
Is there a way to ban fucking
these in FAF?
They're pretty much gameenders and the
ban gameenders in normal FA doesnt do shit

FA. Never had any interest in FAF since it seems like its made by "muh balance no fun allowed" tourneyfags and I'm just not into that.

This user is right
They take their "balancing" too far

nigger please
Can the scathis even increase double its fire rate by having power generators near it?
Can the scathis even compare in terms of fire power to the salvation?

Both are so slow to make, that in most games you are dead long before you can make them.

FAF nerfed 'em I'm pretty sure. They're still able to end games, but they need to be guarded.

Eh, most RTS environments have casual players, but to each their own.

I wonder how this is going to end.

Btw what's the status of Renegade X?
Played it a while when it released, but that's already a few years back.

It's a pity there will never be a hybrid C&C game in the style of Battlezone. That's what I was hoping for.

Does any one know how to get Shogun 2 to work on Windows 10?
Believe me I've googled it.

Depending on the map size, The salvation will likely be finished first and win
However if you play on the largest maps, the salvation's range only covers a third of the map and will not be able to hit all the enemies basses, Still both of them are inferior to the seraphims nuke launcher
Fuck that abomination

4v4 64k maps best.

start by downloading windows 7

kek

WC3 no longer sucks! If only it were that easy.

Thats not going to stop the absurd amount of lag from having absurd amounts of units
Anyway the Altered Melee maps sort of fix it there
But thats custom maps

Nah. WC3 was designed with smaller conflicts in mind. You'd have to remake all the maps for such a change to be viable.

It's because of all the models. Reduce them to low poly voxels like C&C does and the lag problem is "fixed" at least until 500 or so units are reached.
But if you ask me, the game would end up as archer/troll/musket/spider spam just like Warcraft 2 because of how cost-effective they are when massed. Maybe massive Guard-upgrade footsmen or a one-click caster rush would be effective as a counter, but 20+ trolls is pretty hard to take on when they can do hit'n run attacks. On the offset, you could make heros autospawn at level 6 or 8 so you can have something to trow at the horde that could actually thin the crowd a bit.

Yes. The game maps are fucking tiny, just like starcraft's. Scaling the game would likely break things even further even with the minimal logistics needed (health+mana management, crypt creep for undead, item shops?). Though some 6+ maps are up for the task, most of them would be terribly crowded, hell some of them are already with just the 80/100unit cap.

Maybe? They're not meant to be real base defenses, more like anti-harass and base support structures. If you wanted to radically change how the game played, add walls.

(checked)
Triple dubs my man.

But humans always made walls with houses. It's just that siege damage is ridiculous in wc3. They drop like flies.

you forgot savage
I think there decent, original natural selection was better than NS2, but both NS games suffer because of how little room for gamepaly variety there is

it was shit like this that made there only 3 viable strategies for each race at most, Also taking into account that Team strategies and Death match strategies were significantly different

Savage focuses on the first person part, so does natural selection. In general hybrids lean strongly on the action part and not the RTS part.
Others liki divinity dragon commander deliver a mediocre RTS.

Dont remind me user, The shear amount of cut content in that was absurd
You could argue it was responsible for the poor RTS aspect of it, They actually cut out a tier of units

Siege is relatively ridiculous. They usually have an attack speed 2 or 3 times slower and are weak or slow to boot.
Only exception being siege tanks, but they were a wincon.

I don't want to make a hyperbole out of your words, but that's not a bad amount of diversity for strategy.

I wouldn't mind seeing a complete version of it, but there were flaws with the main game itself, like having units that have abilities you need to use yourself when that was the entire point of the unit in a game when a big part was allowing you to play as a dragon.

Which is why warcraft 3 wasn't a bad game
Custom maps improved it significantly though
The Blizzard jewed out on starcraft 2 resulting in Starcraft 2 becoming shit

Yeah i see that
tbh you didnt even need to go dragon anyway

Starcraft 2 was never going to succeed. Blizzard is long since past their creative days. They're in safe, Triple A territory now.

You didn't need to, and it was definitely detrimental thanks to those abilities unless you relied heavily on the dragon, which was really not possible thanks to how badly anti-air could fuck you up. Fucking homing missiles.

The only way to dragon was to turn into a dragon for a second, cast all of your spells, then get out of dragon form.

Didn't it cost you 1k troops every time you transformed?

Every blizzard rts has really shit maps because they were made with multiplayer in mind. You can't have super big armies because the game can't handle that. Also heroes were a mistake. Most heroes are useless (especially the ones from the frozen throne exp), but a big part of the game revolves around them and items.

Custom maps could only fix so much. Most maps are either DotA knock-offs, helms-deep grind maps, or laziness in general. Custom campaigns is where it's at.

you mean ASSFAGGOTS right?

I'm more partial to RPGs and the like, Anyone here play real life of morons, fantasy life and the like?
Those were fucking great
Then you had games that tried to mix the genres like Heroes and Empires
There were so many types of games that I've yet to see done outside warcraft 3 that it makes me sad

People aren't becoming less original, its Games Developers that are becoming Unoriginal

Believe it or not, it takes a lot of effort to make an assfaggots. The two key-points of assfaggots are the map and heroes. If you're map is too empty, battles become boring with no obsolesces or paths to escape to, so battles boil down to who can deal the most damage. If your map has too much stuff crammed in, it becomes cluttered and a mess to navigate, which is vital if you need to get somewhere fast (e.g. a battle). There's also the the task of determining how big the map should be. Since it's one universal map for any number of players, you have to hit a goldilocks zone of balance so your map doesn't feel too big or too small.
Most assfaggots share a few heroes in terms of gameplay, this is because designing heroes is a nightmare. I don't exactly know how many heroes there needs to be so the game doesn't get stale, but the number flies around 20-30. Now good luck balancing all of them. If you have one lackluster hero that his niche of better performed by another hero, well that's one less hero to choose from.
Most assfaggots maps are copy and pasted from the original DotA. Hence why I call them DotA knock-offs. Fuck, I'm autistic.

Have you really played custom maps? There were tons, of different genres, complexity, many featuring save/load system, custom sounds, icons, models etc. "Most were DotAs" because fags played it the most. Custom maps were where WC3 was at, you can play campaign once or twice, you might or might not enjoy ladder but with so many shit created by players and a good editor there's bound to be something you'll enjoy, and people kept delivering. I think like 5 types of maps made it out to become real games with only one being DotA.
Also gotta say jewzzard really made effort to kill custom maps with bnet2/SC2.

O'm 90% sure Aeon of strife was the first Dota-like map on warcraft 3
Taken straight from starcraft

t.Australian

FAF fags also overnerfed Cybran making them pointless late game, there was no need to nerf Cybran at all on top of the nerfs they received from regular "balancing"

post yfw relic will go bankrupt
alternatively, post yfw relic will blame gamers for being "nostalgic idiots" or "closed-minded, anti-innovation" for low sales, and the gaming media will lynch us for it

More like

Something like this on both counts.
Post yfw no mod support.

Just like DoW II essentially?
Post YFW no map editor and you have to pay for overpriced map packs

hopefully they will be a very, very small minority

I was lurking the dow 2 elite mod forums and there are people there who literally defend it, they say "you clearly haven't played the beta, also you are no skill player, don't talk if you didn't play it yet" and there are others - with more than 50 or 300 posts - who say "I'm 100% psyched! I'm so excited"

but those are like 20 people, normalfags won't buy it. 0% of the dow 1 players will buy this shit and about 1% of moba players will switch from lol or dota 2 to dow 3

it's going to crash…with no survivors

also no forums, they switched from steam to their own website so they can delete criticism and ban posters

See pic related
Also I wonder if they remember what happened to Dark Nexus Arena?

Probably one of the few games I've been hype for in the last few years, say what you want about Wargame's balance but it was fucking fun. I think WW2 will lend itself better to the type of game than the cold war too.

post yfw relic will go bankrupt
alternatively, post yfw relic will blame gamers for being "nostalgic idiots" or "closed-minded, anti-innovation" for low sales, and the gaming media will lynch us for it

At this point i dont think they even know who they are supposed to be making games for again
Most people who play RTS's aren't a Major fan of ASSFAGGOTS
If they're expecting this to sell well they're definitely mistaken, However it will still sell
Warhammer40k fans will defend this even if they dont even play RTSs
I however doubt Games Work Shop will ever let them make another warhammer game again, Considering they've always generally had a strong resistance to pandering, at least from SJW's, especially considering how poorly DoW2 did in comparison to DoW1
Now that They've made a Strong Female Black Knight as one of the main characters i can definitely tell you that the games going to be pozzed to shit, with useless ASSFAGGOTS mechanics and more of an RTT than a RTS, which is one of the main reasons DoW2 is considered less than DOW1

Fug wrong pic

lol how embarrassing

fuck, the fucking Holla Forums servers fucked my reply up. I had to refresh the page several times and then it replied with this

T-that's very l-lewd, user.

hey wanna be my bf?

I think you should post yfw user when you are about to get spanked by a Sister of Battle.

Not very niche seeing as COD BO2 had RTS FPS gameplay during certain optional missions

tbh user, I'd rather be the one spanking a sister of battle and some heretical eldar ass too

You are the one that needs to repent user!
Would a Third Peron Shooter and RTS Hybrid make a good Sisters of Battle game?

How do you even fuck up this badly?

Any game with Sisters of Battle is a good sisters of Battle game
personally i would prefer first person for shooting and third person for melee
Like starswars Jedi academy
Sisters of battle had alot of weapons to use, some melee some ranged

Did i really fuck up badly user?

wow its memed

wew lad

how do you post two pictures about being a fag when you meant to post only one for smug anime reactions

pic marginally related

user, most traps are straight, rather it is flamboyant homosexuals calling themselves traps that makes people thinks traps are gay
Traps are a path to pure love, Through becoming a trap you can create a pseudo-Yuri relationship which is the opposite of gay
Transsexuals are a whole different problem, hell even transvestites are better than those degenerates

user what the fuck are you doing?

how?

It's a faggot from Holla Forums that goes around derailing and shitting up threads constantly putting up "Gay Community" pics. If the mods here were doing their job he would be banned already from Holla Forums for Rule 8.
Frankly he's a faggot that proves that Holla Forums mods need to be replaced since that place is literally ran by reddit.
Sage for offtopic

I always knew you were a faggot.

But fucking sodomite spam is not derail in your opinion?

There's a difference in trying to keep it on topic and spamming "Hurr durr, Da Gay Community" The guy is cancer and does it literally every thread to derail it.
And what sodomite spam? If you ignore the trap chart the user's post was on topic.
Sage again for off-topic

He posted the pics intentionally because he knew that it will cause shitstorm, he just craves fucking attention like a faggot he is.
After all all sodomites are attention seeking mentally ill faggots

have you tried being less gay

Stop replying to the mentally ill faggot and ruining a fucking RTS thread, if you want to shitpost about your degeneracy go shit up the Overwatch thread or something.

Now back on topic: why is every modern RTS so stagnant? Why is the highest praise for a modern RTS "it's not as good as *game released in the fucking 90s on a shoestring budget*, but it's kinda close"? Look at games like Tiberian Sun (or Maelstrom more recently, though apart from the tech that game was kinda shit), where did that kind of innovation go?

You know you could have been non-retarded and just ignored it right?
Anyway this thread has been derrailed far enough.

I remembered what I had to download for Submarine Titans to get it to work, it was d3drm.dll which is basically an old graphics driver from the 90's that has been removed post Vista. I think a few older games have this issue
Just download it and put it in the directory for the game and it should work.
Link: www.microflight.com/img/d3drm.zip

Nobody ever talks about 10Six/Project Visitor

Most of the people that could "innovate" have long since retired from the industry. I am not even shitting you, quite a few people who worked for Westwood, Big Huge Games, Ensemble Studios and Gas Powered Games for example are no longer working in the industry at all anymore. That means that a lot of talent has gone completely with nobody really replacing them. RTS genre literally has to restart from scratch.
If I was to make an analogy, imagine if there was a group of people who made a series of game engines and only they knew how to make it. They never taught their skills to anyone else so as soon as they retire people are still trying to use the game engines but as soon as they want to update or replace it they run into trouble as nobody knows how to actually make it, they need to start again from scratch.

No market
People are just not interested in RTS anymore, really dunno why
Just look at the sales of games that were supposed to be "big". Cossacks 3, Grey Goo, act of aggression.
All failed, when you look at youtube and trailers they get 20.000 views at best, its a miracle that more people heard about DOW3 (but thats probably because its W40K)

I seriously dont know why RTS are such niche, even RTT are more popular (eg. wargame series)

Lack of talent is not the issue, nothing done in the 90s or early 2000s was particularly impressive. Take Tiberian Sun for instance: the deformable terrain is piss easy (I'm a rather novice programmer and I can still do heightmap deformation no problem and TS' system was simpler than that), the random weather effects and wildlife is no harder than everything else that goes into making a game, and the lighting is much easier today, needless to say stuff like destructible buildings and bridges are the easiest. To note that back then people had to make almost everything from scratch, while today we have it much much easier on that side (from engine to physics engine to just about anything).

I really doubt it's down to a lack of talent, I think it's down to retarded leads (perhaps you can call it a lack of talent in thinking properly). Their process for making a game is looking at what sells, and they see Starcraft, at which point it's over, the esports cancer takes hold and ruins the game. Dynamic levels? Not balanced. Fauna? Don't even think about it. Interesting balance that isn't pure Rock Paper Scissors? Never.

Can't speak for others but I have not purchased nor played an RTS released in the last 4 years or so, and I can tell you it's precisely because of a lack of innovation. I've played RTS since the early to mid 90s, playing Grey Goo or Act of Aggression is a step back from playing Total Annihilation or Tiberian Sun. They're all fucking Starcraft or C&C (-ish) clones and the furthest they dare stray from that formula is having slightly different factions (e.g. Grey Goo).

Why the fuck would I pay for Grey Goo to play some generic factions (sorry the goo isn't new at all, mobile base-style factions have existed in many RTS games) on a static map with hitscan magic projectiles when I can go play TA or TS?

I'm one of those that moved over, RTT games actually innovate and provide different formulas, which is why I play them. When I play Men of War or Wargame I don't feel like I'm playing "game you already played 10000 times from the 90s to present BUT…".

TL:DR as far as I am concerned unless RTS completely drop the stale old formula they've been stuck in for the last 10 years, I'm just not interested, even if they were free.

I meant it more on a technological perspective that the people who knew how to implement all these features you just described have left the industry without actually teaching others how to do it. Yes you could do it again but could you imagine how much it would cost to do it from scratch these days?

Because both TA and TS have hilariously dumb metagames and one would hope newer games are something of an improvement but of course they're not, just more sanitized and boring.

(checked)
user…I…

it's the developers. there are more dow 1 soulstorm + UA players than dow 2 at its peak

look at wc3, it's a 15 year old game (2003 frozen throne right?) and you can find an automatch game within 10 minutes tops, any time of the day, fridays it's more like 1 or 2 minutes

the good devs got kicked out of the industry due to diversity quotas, cheaper to hire manveer heir than pay a $300,000 fine + PR costs + lose sales due to boycotting

bullshit,
kill yourself
people are interested in RTS, RTS is not interested in them. pretty much everybody who ever played dow 1 or read the w40k books expressed discontent with dow 3, everyone plays dow ss UA and wanted something similar, everyone played dow pro and the devs even copied sob from modders, just kys relic shill

tfw you're the one who usually gays up a thread, it's interesting seeing it not at all happen and still get the same reaction

no he's right, although it's not so much people as it is market researchers who think that because a genre isn't selling well there's no point in pandering towards that genre rather then there's a lack of new games in said genre

but it does/would

look up steam spy, dow 1 vanilla sold 1.7m copies, dow 2 vanilla 2.6, dow 2 retri still has over 1m owners

now there are more dow 1 ss + dow 1 UA players than dow 2 players, while there are more wc3 players than dow 1 + dow 2 + their mods combined

the market is there you faggot

It pains me to no extent.

Look at stats retard and show me any ANY RTS that topped 1 million sales post 2010
(not counting in some big names like COH2)

steamspy.com/genre/Strategy

Its not, all major RTS released post 2010 failed

fixed

which one(s)?
men of war 2 sold decently, dow 2 was RTT not RTS, AOE 2 sold decently, COH 2 was RTT, age of warhammer sold well, gothic armada sold well, sc2 sold well, sins of a solar empire I think sold decently

Lmao

Pick one and only one.

Cossacs 3, Grey Goo, Act of Agression

afu-fu-fu~

AFU-FU-FU~

Seriously considering in what sense?
It wasnt a bad game, it had some names behind it, it was marketed as return of RTS

And look how it ended

men of war assault squad 2: 460k, 160k more than men of war assault squad

tw warhammer: 1.3m

sins of a solar empire rebellion: 880k

aoe2 HD: 4m

aoe3 complete edition: 2m

As i said in my original post RTT
RTT
Less than million, just as i said
Because its a game with a legacy and nostalgiafags

nice b8
shifting the goalposts, I see

Lad…
Also that shit could also apply to all three games you quoted
Those are all arguably more nostalgic than fucking Age of Empires 3.

you mean >"the studio that hired the coffee boy from westwood"

read nigger en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_War:_Warhammer

Maybe you guys can help me out: I'm looking for a version of Yuri's Revenge where the actors from the Hollywood stage aren't using generic GI voices. Even the files or an uploaded video would do great.

retail version, the shit on origin fucks the game in lots of different places

I think i have this version
Ill upload it to vola

Shogun 2 came out 2011. I like it.

Anyone know if you need a WC3 CD-key or battle.net copy to play on wc3arena. Blizzard is charging 20 sheckles for that shit.

Played plannetary annhilation recently.

holy fuck it's such a gimmicky version of SC. They should have just made it a fucking mod instead.

THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO…

how do you fuck up giant robots fighting each other so bad? they found a way

But user, it failed because people dont like RTSs not because the standard of RTSs has dropped

People liked it enough to kickstart it :^)

well it was kickstarted so being a failure doesn't matter sadly

How do you install AI profiles in the GOG version of Total Annihilation?

Wew lad
People paid over 500$ for early alpha and it has 1,234,333 owners on steam
Doesn't sound like fail to me

By that Logic all those shitty phone games are "successful" games

thanks brev

t. Yuri

You have disgraced this thread with your faggotry.

money means success. it doesnt matter if you like it. what is it about rts threads that attract the deluded?

I wish there was an RTS/FPS with the hotswap mechanic from the console version of Battlefield 2.

Pretty much this. However it did kill off a lot of people wanting to back Kekscammer ever again and make a lot of people shy about future RTS games

Actually scratch that. Forgot Planetary Annihilation got sold 2 for a $1. A better question though is what the fuck happened to Ashes of the Singularity?
Sage for double post

ftfy

dress it up however you want to help yourself cope, homeslice.

not FPS but Battalion Wars 1 & 2

You know what didn't have great financial success? Fallout 2. You know what did? Fallout 3. You can shit yourself blind across a dozen threads about how terrible Fallout 3 is on a dozen levels, but at the end of the day, Bethesda isn't about to sell the licence out like Interplay did.

If a success makes people hate you so much that you lose every chance to get more money then it is not a success.
No man's cuck would be an example of a huge financial success, but by the end of it the developers are hiding their faces from the public.

user, a successful game Isnt about how much money you make, but rather how likely you're going to get a 2nd job to make more games
Unless you're Phil Fish
Especially Considering Planetary Annihilation is a one time purchase and not a cash cow

This user is correct

Explain how EA is still in business then? :^)

Play Sacrifice

EA is hueg fucking megacorp that can allow to shit on absolutely everything and still make profit by abusing IPs, marketing and cutting corners. They don't care about you or anyone, you don't care about them.

EA was forced to maintain radio silence for several years before going back to mass effect.
They however make tons of cash from sports games and that compensated the damage ME3 did.

its cash in the bank, thats the whole point. tehy might not be able to run another kickstarter scam but if youre measuring success by sustainability uber entertainment is still around, a sullied reputation isnt as big a deal as you think. note all the scumbag corporations that continue existing and consider that they didnt have much of a reputation in the first place. they arent really any worse off than they were before during the downswing of their monday night games.

There was one specific custom game that I remember that blew me away at the time. My friend and I would LAN it all the time because it was co op against bots but also still hard.

I think it was called "The Plague", with choose-able factions with further customization, I specifically remember "Fast attack" cavalry, "Border Guard" heavy infantry and a magic based healing faction. The map was super big and every unit that died came back as a zombie. Demons and shit too. That was seriously one of the best things I ever played.

Medieval Builder was really fun too.

some of the things people could come up with were pretty amazing. i remember at least one person managed to make a first person sniper game with 3 dimensional aiming. it wasnt particularly fun since it was so cumbersome but it still blows my mind.

Scumbag corps can use their megabux to attract customers, small companies can't afford that so they gotta make quality product to attract costumers and at the same time it'll help them when they will make sequel, sell IP/company or move into larger company. Endless series games are a good/successful example, Endless Space was good but it felt "raw", then more games followed with similar (good) quality, now they are working for sega and I'm pretty sure they are happy with their new salaries. Though we are yet to see the new quality.

But compare them to EA.
No man's cuck will not sell again, while EA manages to sell a new mass effect game, which will make millions.
If your idea of success is money, then EA is the master jew while no man's cuck is the failure of a jew who cannot make cash anymore.
Clearly if cash is the goal, you should not be making single hits but strive for MORE AND MORE AND MORE AND MORE, right ?
By that logic no man's sky is a failure, it's like someone winning from the lottery.

what is this. anyone know?

nm found

Also men of war 3 when?

Technically it's already been out and it was cancer

Medieval Builder was one of my favorite maps, I especially liked troll
Blood Elves were OP though

honestly? if any of these companies put out another game i have no doubt people would buy it. if hello games put out no guy buy 2 claiming to fix all the issues people would pay for it. people dont want to learn when they can hope or get a fix.

This is what i hope for Ass Defect: Androgynous
At least they wont be able to ruin the IP after this one

oh yeah i forgot about that. does it bring anything particularly new besides the units?

and also why has no one ever tried to mod a COH and mow combination thingy? that would be great. if relic or cocksoft did it they could make a shitload

Has anyone played survivor squad? worth a look? any suggestions for horror rts/rtt hyrbrids?

Could you share a link? I want to know if it's the same one I remember

Describes modern games to a T.

Whenever I see a woman in an interview my hype for a game instantly decreases. Instead if it's a middle aged overweight neckbeard, the opposite happens.

You have the business sense of a 12 year old. The game selling well matters little, the game was ill received, criticized, has bad reviews, is dead, and has a community that feels ripped off (to the point they had to cancel their next game because people were pissed). This massively impacts any future games made by the developers and completely ruined their chances at making a successful new IP. So no, it is not a success.

Same happened with Diablo 3. Diablo 3 sold a tonne, but it sold the vast majority based on almost 15 years of hype and success of Diablo 2. Do you think Diablo 4 will enjoy the same hype? Do you think that in 13 years when Diablo 4 comes out there will be a horde of Diablo 3 fans ready to buy the game on release unconditionally?

Honestly? Yes, considering the new fan base will be hipsters trying to fit in. And most of the gaming community does not have a fucking spine, even here on Holla Forums. They will most likely forget and allow themselves to be disappointed continually, but worst of all they will still give them shekels.

Does anyone here play ROTR?

How is it? Is the multiplayer alive?

that sounds FUCKING COOOL
I must play this

Not so fast, im a retard who cannot find where are the sound files for units in RA2 folder. Tell me what filenames do you need?

Just the ones omitted from the final game. I mean, the ones for the actors from the Hollywood mission. I think there's some more units that lost some lines but I can't quite remember which.

I still do. It's been an entire year since the last big update. It's great, I have no real complaints. Except that ECA's artillery is a bit OP.

.>>12123400
now why have you chosen diablo 3, a game by blizzard, someone who already has staying power and a reputation? you know its different when its a small unknown company with nothing to lose anyways. and thats the whole point. they arent doing any worse off than they were before.

as for diablo 4, maybe not diablo 3 fan boys specifically, but yes people will flock to the game, especially if theres nothing else to take its place by then.
do you think people arent going to buy mass effect andromeda despite the outrage over 3? despite the idea that mass effect 3 was a huge embarassment being drilled in to everyones head every day for 5 years? is starcraft 2 unsuccessful, even though people got mad by the droves regarding custom maps and how the game was sold in 3 parts? did that anger carry over into overwatch, making that game unsuccessful?

If starcraft 2 was a cash cow i would doubt this, so far they've only released expansions that sold less after each one
But since its a single time purchase, no i think blizzard aren't going to be worse off, especially when the RTS audience is significantly smaller than WoW Audience and Overwatch faggots

Yes but people will flock to what ever blizzard puts out regardless, They're called blizdrones
also what are the chances of something not taking its place?
Grimdawn, torchlight, path of exile ect.. are proof that the genre is still active and that blizzard has lost their monopoly on diablo 2 clones

Yes, or at least levels Significantly lower than Mass Effect 3
My hope is EA dumps them straight after
Because EA has destroyed IPs for less

In comparison to starcraft 1? Yes

No, two different genres usually means 2 different audiences, Therefor Overwatch fags will play overwatch regardless of what ever happens with the RTS franchises blizzard puts out

That game makes me sad because I just know they could have made something great with it, but then the dev stopped working on it.

What game has the best Artillery?

Supcom and total annihilation, But Ruse comes a close 2nd
I didnt mind the artillery in CoH either

Guys, if I've never played SupCom
before. Forged Alliance has a different campaign right? Should I play the original and then the expansion or just jump straight into the exp? Thanks.

It has a separate campaign that builds on the original and drops you in at the deep end. Play in order.

Thanks bro

I imagined that would happen. Wouldn't WoW's expansions sell increasingly worse as well?

They really declined after the lich king one, and then practically plummeted after cataclysm

Wargame in general overnerfed artillery to it being absolutely worthless. I think if 20+ Grad's are firing at a grid square that grid square should be taken off the map, not everything within it being slightly tickled.

anyone want to play Red Alert 3 Co-Op?

You may not need to worry about that because apparently Blizzard may be releasing an HD remaster of SC1 soon™.
archive.is/ZKCnW

Nope.

So Carrier Command then?

I am trying to remember the name of that lewd/hentai RTS some user mentioned a while back. Anyone remember the name?

reeks of underaged in here

>Look at competitive play because the single player is boring

I'm calling out those fags next time they post that shit. only thing keeping me from playing it is having to deal with learning at a level people who've played for 15 years have

fixed

Blizzard has no reason to not make SC1HD

I never cared for Warcraft or Starcraft for that matter so I ignored them, mainly cause I was more an Age of Empires and C&C fag. Was there anything wrong with me anons?

C&C is the true RTS

I tried C&Cnet and it wasn't for me really. There's typically just 1 or two go-to strats left. I was thinking of trying Age of Empires. ATM my sights are on WC3 though just because I want to play a game where you micro a bunch of units abilities.

C&Cnet is a lobby for lots of C&C games, which one did you play?

None of the Westwood RTS'es were ever that great in multiplayer. They tend to be remembered fondly because a lot of guys played them back when they were kids and didn't know what they were doing strategy-wise.

Take the first Red Alert for example. I remember it being funtimes back when I was 14, but now when everyone knows a few things about RTS strategy they just bog down into boring tank spam (for allies) and Tower Defense (for Soviet).

you've only ever seen a handful of professional matches then

Is red alert 3 any good? I tried to play RA2 but the game shits itself whenever I try to play it.

its no where near as fun as red alert 2 is and it's basically just another generals reskin so you're better off playing generals mods tbh

I've never played any C&C game before I was just going off the recommendation of a friend so I really have no idea what you're talking about.

get red alert 3 to work or play C&C generals with zero hours too

red alert 2*

It completely misses the point of C&C in general and has a worse story/artstyle than RA2, you're better off playing Tiberian Sun if you have never played any Command and Conquer game. You can get it for free in cncnet.org.

For what he was talking about, C&C Generals (and Zero Hour) is a good spinoff of the C&C series but plays nothing like the original games.

I assumed because his friend recommend red alert 2 that he's new to RTS on the whole and so if he can't get red alert 2 to work then the next best introductory game is generals even though as you've said it's not really a C&C game

Still a fun game though.

The newest CnCnet client for TS is known to work with IE7-8+ systems because of dirty hacks and IRANfaggotry, which is why i suggested it.

absolutely

see I figured he just got the origin version of red alert 2 which is shit all around for reasons I can only assume are down to the fact that EA don't have the source code anymore

I still don't get the point of that thing. It's so cost-ineffective vs a monkey lord, it has considerably less firepower and its unique ability will be far behind your main base's output regardless of how many you make.

It obliterates fleets. Seriously use it like a naval unit and for shore bombardment

this and so long as the Megalith survives he can rebuild or reinforce your bricks

I.. I never tried to use it as a naval unit.

It can survive and shoot in situations where a monkey lord will just get instantly fucked if it tries anything. Monkeys are better for an experimental rush or base wrecking, that's for sure.

Those torpedo launchers and anti torpedo defenses are not for show user. Plus making Brick's underwater never gets old If I recall it also got a speed boost when underwater.

Dude, why?
it has a trillon torpedo launchers plus torpedo/depth charge defense that can only be outplayed by massive amounts of T2/3 anti-sub units or a goddamn nuke, it's by all means the best experimental for naval play short of an UEF altlantis spamming torpedo bombers

it's your only real option vs t3 navel units since cybran don't have good t3 ducks

if you don't have any kinda anti air then yes they'd get fucked pretty quickly and do nothing useful but if you can kit with them then they can last abit longer

Did you upload them?

I'm pretty sure it was either RA 1 or 2.

I wonder is there a Open Source C&C Generals out there now?

both games are pretty tank spammie I'd agree but I say that red 1 is alot more criminal here to that point however that's just what you transition into from infantry to keep your self defended and to poke at the enemy

both those games are fast paced so it's not that nothing else is better but more so that matches don't last long enough or it comes down to low income and few production

EA gets paid from Red Alert 2 and up so I highly doubt they'd let generals out when they don't even let red alert 2 out

I wonder if there's more to RTS than just rushing people to death with tanks in the first 5 minutes.

if you don't fucking suck then yes there is

Guess i'll just have to git gud.

By the way, new thread when? We're on page 13.

may want to hold off on making one, seems like RTS threads have become somewhat of a general

They aren't?

I hope not at least, it's abit hard to talk about the same games all the time

theres also helicopter and superweapon spam

Its easy when you start a new thread

whats the point? the only active conversations revolve around opinions about dawn of war 3, and theres already a thread dedicated to whining about it.