What does Holla Forums think of Bungie's Oni? I haven't played it myself, but from the gameplay footage I've seen...

What does Holla Forums think of Bungie's Oni? I haven't played it myself, but from the gameplay footage I've seen, the combat looks pretty fun. There's also a fairly active modding community.

Other urls found in this thread:

mods.oni2.net/node/79
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stop posting and play it you nerd!
And when you finish it, play it again but using cheats
Some cheats let you play as a different characters.
>mfw no ONI 2

It's a unique game with some cool stuff, but pretty flawed. You can pirate it, or you can find it for really cheap at a vintage game store. Usually only a couple of bucks.

It would have been horrible, and you know it.

Good music but a little bit easy to end. Atmosphere are great.

After obtaining few Combos here no need to use pistol or stealth.

I loved it back then and beacuse of that i probably can't talk about it objectively.
It still fucking hard and fun to play…

There's a mod that lets you play as Major Kusanagi.

But you are basically the Major already.

Bungie's last good game.

I saw it in decent condition at a local hobby shop the other day for $20, but I didn't get it. I keep meaning to download the iso and play it, and maybe get the disk for collection purposes later, but these last few months have been pretty busy in terms of games.

I'm surprised this game has such a loyal modding scene to it. There are people still working on mods for this game today and there was a complete overhaul of the game.

Maybe in current year +2, but before 2007 it would be glorious great if you didnt know, it was under development, but it died a silent death

Stange, i heard even the first one wasn't finished because they drained out the money for Halo…

I mostly loved it. I'm actually planning on making a video about Oni sometime in the future, but I'll shill that then. So far, I feel that the hand to hand combat is a goddamn breath of fresh air. We've got too many fucking Batman Arkham clones nowadays with the same shitty one-button combat. I love how Oni gives you a lot of control over your own movements and attacks in comparison. The gunplay though…eh…I don't know if it's just my pirated copy of the game or what, but the aiming feels shitty, almost like it's on a grid. I saw some "fixes" online, but none of them seemed to work for me. I think that the levels feel too barren, but I do like that they're spacious and sometimes fuckhuge. I know Oni 2 got canned, but I bet if it were made today it would probably have Batman combat. Part of me is glad that it's dead.

Also, I noticed that there's not a lot of great high-resolution wallpapers for Oni…so here, have a wallpaper.

The worst part was auto-blocking system. There should have been separate block button. I think there are mods for that though, but I didn't have any real internet when I played it.

I'll agree with that. I'm just glad there's no goddamn lines that show up above enemies' heads when they're about to attack. I'm glad that there's no button that allows you to infinitely dodge enemies' attacks by jumping over their heads and all that shit. If anything's bad about the CQC, it definitely is the blocking, but I think that everything else makes up for it, especially in comparison to the sort of third-person beat-em-up games we get nowadays.

Yeah, modern western action games are all one button auto-win nonsense, while eastern are either over the top DMC clones or one button auto musou nonsense.
I miss games with elaborate, fun yet not completely batshit insane combat systems like Oni or Comix Zone.

One of the most dedicated pc modding communities out there, the amount of cut content for that game is insane.

I wanna fug Konoko

Nice meme. H2 and ODST are pure kino, and while overrated, 3 is decent as is Reach

That's nice, go kill yourself.

I think it's a dumb buzzword myself but i'm tired and I couldn't think of anything else to describe what I meant.

stay mad

I thought it was interesting looking .. back in 2001. I never played it, but I never played Invisible War either. Back in 2001 I was playing Diablo II, I didn't give a fuck about PS2 games, and I never saw the PC version on sale anywhere.

Speaking of which, fucking faggots who hate online purchases of games need to shut the fuck up. Back in the day you still only had access to a handful of the games on PC, because for a game to be available to you, the local stores had to stock said game. Very few stores stocked large selections of new games for PC. Every store within 50 miles of me had every PS2/Xbox/Gamecube game under the sun, but if they had a PC game shelf, it was a little corner unit that typically held price code 3 items (price code 3 is where a price ends in .93, and it means they're not going to restock it when it's gone because it doesn't sell any units). If you look hard enough in any type of local store you can find items that all end in .9X where X is a number other than 9. 97 is a discontinued product line, 93 is a product which can be restocked but won't be because it sits on the shelf far too long to be considered profitable.

You can always get nerds online to make up inserts for you to download and print out at your local store and fake like you got an instruction manual and shit with your games, there's sites devoted to that shit. But limited selection of PC games meant that if the local stores didn't want to stock a game for any particular reason, you were shit out of luck.

Nowadays thankfully we can buy whatever the fuck we want or need.

15 years later, you are still mad and stupid.

15 years later, you are still poor.

But I'm not the one who got asspained because somenone dared to shittalk his company.

Keep renting those licenses, goy.

I couldn't care less if somebody insults bungie, but I do care about somebody having shitty opinons

Admit it, you just dungoofed yourself and now trying play it off by derailing the thread. Not cool…

This is the only correct answer. Though when ODST was released it was a fucking semetic move by Bungie to charge full price

My local Electronics Boutique had its longest wall dedicated to PC games. Just because you lived in Shitsville doesn't mean everyone else did.
Fucking casual.

I didn't really go much on it. Neat idea but the gunplay wasn't very good and the stealth was lacking. Melee was fun.

A spiritual successor done right would be very welcomed though.

What an ugly ass game. Looks like dogshit.

neither of these things apply to video games or any other intellectual "property" and you are the goodest of goys

Isn't Lugaru supposed to be inspired by Oni?

It was fun until devil may cry came along and did melee combat much better than oni ever did.

Spotted the american. These are the kind of people who think golden eye was good.

I played it and kinda liked it, but god damne those controls were fucking hard
Piloting a space craft might actually be easyer than playing this game

Anyone got links to the ONI mods and stuff?

Post them all, user.

Hell, I went to frys electronics BACK IN THE DAY, and it was the place with more pcgames I ever saw as a kid. good thing I live next to the border
Now, most places dont sell games and the pcgames section is full of sims, WOW and puzzles games.

Played Oni 18+ months ago. It's a gem. A very flawed game, suffers from the same thing as Max Payne in that Rockstar fucked over the end of the games development from what I can tell. It's so flawed but the core of the game is just so fun and hard that it's good. Picking up weapons and efficiently reloading them to dispatching the enemies just to survive group fights. Especially love breaking backs with the stun gun.

You download the anniversary patch/updater thing and it has a library with all the necessary online download info stored within so you can easily install or uninstall any mods you wish with ease. It's quite surprising such a niche game has the support it does but it deserves it.

By not a lot, I mean none.

I had a similar issue watching the PC game section of my local game stores (UK) slowly shrink from an entire wall + a central 'bucket' of sorts of second hand games down to one shelf of the fucking sims and WoW expansions, by 2009ish it wasn't worth looking anymore. At first I was opposed to shit like Steam but nowadays I have no sympathy for physical retailers bitching about losing out, the fuckers can go bust for all I care. It's also worth noting that you never legally owned a physical game either, only the license to use it (same as nowadays) and a disk to install your licensed software. The nice outcome of this in both cases is that strictly speaking there's nothing illegal about torrenting a game you own/ever owned as long as you don't upload anything while doing so (you're just acquiring something you have a license to from an unofficial source). Of course Valve themselves have started to jew customers also so I've moved on to other stores or just pirating things, the latter wasn't an option with the terrible download speed I used to get.

If anyone's interested, here's where you can get a version of the game that can work on modern computers. You need a retail copy of the game though. mods.oni2.net/node/79