Let's talk about Final Fantasy for a second. Which one was the best, and which one was the worst, in your opinions?

Let's talk about Final Fantasy for a second. Which one was the best, and which one was the worst, in your opinions?

Best are 1, 5, 9
Worst are 2, 13, 15

My nig. I wish materia in 7 worked the same way skills did in 9, where once you master it, it's yours for good.

Main series games a shit

4 Heroes of Light is pretty shit, honestly. Art style and aesthetic are great, but BD and BS did everything it did better, which is good, as it shows they are learning. Their team, at least gameplay wise, should be in charge of the battle system for 16.

Best were 2,5,9
Good were 7,8
Worst were 10,12,13

I bought a PS3 to play 13. Biggest disappointment of my life. That was almost half a months wages blown on that venture. I hated it so much I didn't even bother completing it. So angry it made me that I bought a next-gen console for this game alone and got punk'd so badly I went full mustard and never looked back. 15 doesn't interest me in the slightest. Square have jumped the shark and they seem to churn out shit game after shit game. Nobuo Uematsus FF music scores have gotten progressively worse since 10 as well.

Front Mission obviously.

Just don't play 13 and 15 and you're set.

The last score he did in its entirety was 9. He did a few songs for 10 (Hymn of the Fayth, Dream will End, Suteki, Seymour's theme, final boss) but most was other people. He didn't do any of 12 except the image song, if I remember correctly, and nothing of 13 on.
12 has the best FF soundtrack because Sakimoto > Uematsu

Front Mission is the worst SRW game.

Best was 6,7, and 9
12 and 10 were decent, but had some very serious problems.
8 was the worst by far because of the horrible leveled bosses, and the retarded story. Squall was decent though, but whatever.

Squall? what kind of faggot are you. Your entire life is null and void.

I know it seems like Squall is best Girl, but really Raine is.

7 is the best overall

How did she died, anyway?

Also, a song criminally underrated from 8. All the Sorceress' themes are awesome.

I know you're just shitposting, but those theories drive me insane. Also, when you have Edea in your party, her Ice Spike does incredibly shitty damage. Easily survivable, especially in a world with revives.

Can someone explain to me what the Final Fantasy universe is?

I never played it when I was younger, and I see images from the games that have wildly varying aesthetics. Sometimes I see an emo faggot driving around in a car, other times I see people riding on dragons around mushroom things. What the actual fuck is this universe? I'm deeply confused.

There's no shared setting (usually, for instance, 12, Vagrant Story and FFTactics [psx] and Advance 2 take place on the same continent(s) while the 13s and Type:0 share a metaphysics and multiverse), just shared themes, mechanics and designs.

Tactics Advanced
Every single Final Fantasy that was first released on a CD is the worst Final Fantasy except maybe 9 which I haven't gotten around to playing yet.

Was she in your party before the end of Disc 1? No? Then maybe her ice attack was weak because if it was weak then Squall wouldn't be dying in the middle of a parade.

They are generally self contained stories that share common elements.
There are some direct sequels such as Final Fantasy X-2 and the many sequels to 7.
A few times Square has implied and even confirm there are greater relations between the games such as in Final Fantasy X-2 where

Tried to play the GBA version, I'd always die immediately. How does the leveling up and all that shit even work?

Shit taste fam

9 is a bit slow gameplay wise for me but its for sure the one with the style and mood that I would like to see more of.

Chrono Trigger>Chrono Cross>Tactics>IX>XI>V>VII=VI>XIV>III>XII>IV>Tactics Advance 1 and 2>I>X>VIII>Type-0>XV>X-2>Lightning Returns>>>>>>>>dogshit>>>>>>>>XIII>II>XIII-2

How many times per week do we need to have this template thread?

Multiple universes.

XI
XIV

Tactics series
Vagrant Story
XII
Revenant Wings

VII
Crisis Core
Dirge of Cerberus
X and X-2 (supposedly)
Other shit no one cares about

XIII Trilogy
Type-0

Sometimes I get the feeling XV, VI, and VIII are supposed to take place in the same universe but there isn't a whole lot of evidence supporting that besides little things I notice that could just as easily be said about most any other FF.

Honestly VIII had the best sountrack.

Isn't XV in the same universe as XIII? Or did they completely drop that during its development cycle?

Not anymore. Also, it's been heavily implied that 14 takes place in the same multiverse/universe as Ivalice, as the villains are named after the Scions of Light, opposites of the Lucavi/Scions of Darkness from 12.

Dude this is chick logic. You are working backwards from a conclusion.

Anyone know if PS1 multi-disc games will work normally if one of the discs is the greatest hits version and the all the others are original? Specifically for VIII and IX. It's the fourth disc that's greatest hits so I'm not particularly exuberant to find out myself. Well, for IX its vice-versa on discs: 1-3 are greatest hits and 4 is original. Both are black label cases. I think some dumbass fucked up when I bought them used from FUCKING EBGAMES a decade and a half ago.

Should work.

It seems like discs would mostly just pick up off saves and not anything else so I would think so. But I guess the saves could have been changed between versions, especially if the greatest hits version changed the game in some way.

It has a lot of good tracks and they're mostly "environmental" in a way man Uematsu tracks aren't. It's almost like Uematsu did a Yoshida soundtrack. I don't get how FFX-2 (not Uematsu, obviously)'s soundtrack can suck so hard, but then have three or four really good tracks like song related.

If you're that worried about it, just emulate them.

Best: Tactics

Worst: 13

Does anyone know why the games were called Final Fantasy? Was the first one made without sequels in mind and things just got out of hand?

It sounds cool. Every other explanation is apocrypha.

IIRC square was on the verge of closing down and that was the last game they would make.

I'm basing the idea that the disc switching works off of saves on the assumption that you could take an end of disc 1 save, turn off the console or go to a completely different console, and start the end of disc 1 save with disc 2 without using disc 1 at all. I don't know if that's true or not, but it seemed like it would be the case.

I haven't had great experiences with PS1 emulation but I only ever tried it a while ago. I don't have a functional PS2 or 1 anymore anyway and the PS3 seems like it emulates with discs too so I guess I might as well. Really though, I'm just sperging out because I like to know details of how shit works and do tend to be a little paranoid.

Not true, actually, and it also wasn't Sakimoto's last game.

Best: 6, 7, 10
Worst: Mystic Quest

PSX emulation is easy as pie. Just use EPSXe or a PSP.

Best FF song hands down coming through.

The game jumps the shark past Disc 1 EVERYONE IS AN AMNESIAC except for Irvine who doesn't tell anyone until later in the game and the ending of the game is 2deepuuuu imagery
Why?
There are 2 explanations either its horrible writing or its brilliant writing.
Squall being dead is a better explanation for the events in the game then explanation the game gives the players.

Neither is satisfactory. Squall's face being hollow does not symbolically equate to his death at all. The story is shit, but that doesn't make it the 6th Sense.

Then what does it represent? If its not his death what does it represent in the context of the game?

2 - 7 are best. X is alright, I guess, but only because Lulu's great set of tits. I did not like the whole drawing for magic and junction system in VIII, and the story was a shit. I don't know about the later games.

His inability to open up to his friends and "family." Yes, it is that bad.

From a story/setting perspective, X is probably the best one, as nothing is out of place or unable to be explained by the rules they set out in the first three hours.

I don't think Square is art-house enough for that. For fucks sake squall has 3 belts, Final Fantasy 8 is when the fucking basic as fuck belt symbolism started. I cannot believe that in the same game where they started their belt fetish they put in symbolism that is artsy and character based.

They're actually supposed to symbolize something? Or did you just mean belt fetishism?

In Japans, belts are a sign of military rank.

I tried making a tier list in the last of these threads, but then I realized Final Fantasy Tactics is easily in the top five with the main series, and since it's set in Ivalice like 12 it would be silly to exclude it, but if I include Tactics I have to include everything, and if you include all the spin-offs and guest appearances (Ehrgeiz, Chocobo's Dungeon, Kingdom Hearts) it's like 96 games, and I haven't played any of the Crystal Chronicles shit, and fuck the like forty mobile games they've put out.

I also haven't played 15 or World of Final Fantasy yet either. That in mind, personal taste from what I have played and finished:

FF9 = FF7
FF6
FFT (and it's sequels)
FF5
FF4
FFX
FFIII (DS remake)
FFXI
FFXII
Ehrgeiz
Dirge of Cerberus
Dissidia
Crisis Core
FFVIII (I keep trying, but I can never fucking get into this game.)
FF1 & FF2

All That Gay Shit I Hate:
FFX-2
Kingdom Hearts (whole franchise)
FFXIII, XIII-2, XIII-3

KH is actually damn good though.

Surprisingly decent, btw. Had good mechanics.

I agree and add Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring and Final Fantasy tactics in "Best."

b.b.but guy I just don't understand!
WWWWWWHHHHHHHHYYYYY
why we need another thread like this when we already had his topic a few days ago?

What is going on in that picture? Is she dodging bukka shots?

You must be a thrill at parties.

Honesty? It looks as though she's about to charge up a kick.

if you idea of partying is austisticly listing final fantasy games then I don't want to be invited.

Belts are a symbol of authority to the Japanese. IIRC it came about during the US occupation/rebuilding of japan post WWII
This is why JRPG protagonists have so may belts its to show the player that they are in charge.

I purpose a similar argument for the reason why Anime Protagonists have goggles. I would wager its a nationalists hearkening back to to WWII and their "ace" pilots. Possibly also the kamikaze attacks near the end.

Yeah, I definitely want to get it, I've always wanted an FF game with monster raising in it, which they sort of did with XIII-2 I guess. And I'd heard the stacking thing looks wird, but it's fun to manipulate. Sounds a lot like Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart

I've always hated everything about it. The overwrought writing where every sentence has like six uses of the words "darkness" and "hearts". Some of Nomura's absolute worst and progressively laziest designs, the completely out of place kiddie versions of FF characters. It just doesn't feel right that a villain who is ostensibly the product of rape followed by the introduction of alien cells in the womb who then goes insane and obsessively burns down villages, stabbing people with a giant katana that doesn't draw blood while talking incessantly about his mother and carrying around her severed head while tossing her body parts at people is in the same game as Winnie the Pooh.

You realize that Disney is the company that turned Zeus into a wholesome if distant father right?

Bravo Nolan, we uncover more of the truth and light of the plane scene every day.

The severed head thing was only for a bit in Nibelheim, and the body parts were Jenova trying to get to Sephiroth, not Sephiroth himself doing shit. Granted they are more or less the same entity at that point.

You clearly do, as you've made 3 posts in this thread.

Yes this is true but its not because this template thread is good. First post was a sage. The second post was a genuenly inquiry cancerous level of autism. The third was a retort to (you)r snarky. Clearly the thread is popular for some bizzaro neo/v/ reason so I didn't want to sage all my post as off-topic because I know it makes listfags spiral out into autistic screeching.

You ever consider that it's because people still wanna talk about FF?

Baneposting JRPG when?

CUP NOODLES!!

I've honestly hoped someone could hack together an old Final Fantasy into the plane scene, or at least a drawfag do an image resembling SNES sprite art of a boss battle on the top of the plane (have CIA, Maimen, and Dr. Pavelheer on the party's side to the right in the super deformed look, while a gigantic Amano-esque boss Bane is halfway out of the roof of the plane to the left with two hired guns as additional enemies).

As for Baneposting in JRPGs, I've found what have wound up as retroactive shoutouts in one I played (dating back to 2006 or so).

Reminder that Squall was actually a perfectly fine character surrounded by useless fucking assholes in an absolutely shit world, and he deserved better.

From GDC it became known that if FFXV didn't break 5 million copies sold, Square Enix would consider pulling the plug on Final Fantasy. It sold more than 6 million.
Feels like another Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Also he got perma-raped because Rinoa used a damn mind control roofie spell on him.

I liked 12 despite it's reused combat system from 11, still quite possibly the most beautiful game on the PS2
VENAT & CID DID NOTHING WRONG!!!

The one with the tightest guy.

VP2 looks better but it had the advantage of being a side scroller most of the time.
Patrician.

The best Final Fantasy games are both Bravely Default and Bravely Second

Best: 9, Tactics
Worst: Dirge of Cerberus, 8
Holy shit worse than shit why does this even exist: 12

stats go up as you use them
get hit, defense and hp go up
attack, strength and weapon skill go up
cast spells, well you get the idea

don't venture too far west from the starting town; there's neither mountain range nor meatwall to keep you from wandering into bomb terriotory

1,4,5,6,7,Tactics
2,X-2,12, any PSX, Steam, or mobile ports of any title
13 and the direct sequels

3- Boring, only official English version is remake cancer
8- Draw/gf system sucked, shit story
9- I hate the character designs and the throwback bullshit
10- Annoying protagonist, shitty dungeon design

Bravely Default would have been fine if it didn't turn into the JRPG version of Endless Eight. I didn't bother with the sequel since the first game was garbage after Chapter 4, and it was another serving of NoA's trash localization.

Get this hothead out of here!

Mah nigga

BS is actually great, there's a single loop but it doesn't work the same way and things go an entirely different direction from the first time, as you know exactly what the villains are planning and cuck them relentlessly. Also there's a patch that restores the injun bikini boss and job to its rightful model.

Best: 10, 9
okay: 8, 12
worst: 10-2
will never play: lightning shit, 15 (probably)
5 was fun. 6 as well.

8>10>6>4>9>12>everything else>shit>7

Here's your hipster trying to be plausible card
Now fuck off

This is the correct answer.

Great argument faggot.

11 is my favorite. It's a beautiful game world with a very unique atmosphere. Combining that with the comfiness of the early 2000's was the pinnacle of nostalgia and those feels will never be felt again.

Best is 6
Worst i'm not sure because i haven't played them all, but out of the ones i have played Type 0 is the worst.
Most overrated is 9.

Fuck I just realized there's a FFXII remaster happening soon. I wish it was on PC, but I don't care either way since I can emulate the original perfectly. However, I'm so hyped for the new version of the soundtrack. That would make 3 versions in total, the original soundtrack as played on the ps2, the one released officially which sounds slightly different with different samples being used for the instruments, and this one which seems significantly different

It most likely will be eventually.

V > Any other FF that isn't XIII or IV > XIII or IV

I like nine because you have a tail.

I've never played a Final Fantasy game before. Which game should I start with if I want to get into Final Fantasy?

That sounds retarded. No wonder anons hate the fucking game

It's also where the shitty fucking SaGa series comes from.

Your list is probably the best FF list I ever seen, well done; I agree with it completely, I would just add X and FFTAdvanced (how someone can like it despite living in same world with FFT is beyond me) shit to worst too. Wish I could go back in time and kill all the human trash responsible for 13 and beyond, maybe that would have saved the franchise. When you think about it, 15 is still the leftover curse of 13. jesus Christ.

While I'm into it, would probably kill all trash responsible for Persona 3 and 4 too.

Best: 1, 4, 12izjs, tactics, vagrant story
Worst: 2, 8, 11, 13, 14

Best story: probably 5.
Worst story: 15

Best graphics (for their time): 10
Worst graphics: Lightning returns.

Best gameplay: toss up between 10 and lightning returns.
Worst gameplay: 13

Best world: 7
Worst world: 15 imo

Best summons: 9
Worst summons: 13

Most content: 12
Least content: 15

Best characters: 12
Worst characters: 15

I think creating a fair and good FF tier-list is fucking impossible, absolutely no-one is on the same page about anything in this just the mainline series alone, especially in regards to the X/X-2 games and XII. The only thing people seem to agree on is that XIII is hot garbage.

FFTAdvance 1 is kind of in a weird spot. The frame story takes place in real Ivalice after it's been fully demagicified, but the in game magica Ivalice is just an illusion/altered recreation of the historical past. FFTA2 just straight up teleports the main character back in time from modern Ivalice.

Final Fantasy XV was the best Final Fantasy!
ALL YOU HATERS ARE JUST FAT LESBIANS WHO ARE INTIMATED THE THE FEMALE FORM!
why does Cindy trigger you Holla Forums?

yes
Kill yourself

Because I can't fugg her.

Maybe she'll actually be playable in one of the four sequels.
They need to give FF 16 to the Bravely team or Yazmat.

I'll fucking fight you mate. SaGa on the SNES is top-tier shit and the PS2 one isn't bad either (the one that isn't on a board mind you)

12 looks amazing for a PS2 game
12 also has the best world and cast, and the is no way in hell 10 or lighting has the best gameplay

Either they canned it due to Square opting to bring the remake over for mobile phones, or it's an outright "Never Ever" just because. Who can say? That faggot Zhi refuses to take inquiries on translation progress, even when at this point it seems an exception could be made (on account of them saying fuck all for over a year).

She's not even playable you nigger.

Probably after a year they'll port it, they've gotten every other FF on the platform.

10 looked much better than 12. 12s environments were shit.

10 also has the best turn based gameplay, LR has the best ATB gameplay.

I'm playing the psp version of 4 and it's not very fun so far I must say. I'm the evil bad guy and I steal crystals.

Aside from Lightning and shitty story and all that.
Is the combat considered allright in XIII-3 or XIII-2 ?
Embed related

Best is 6
Worst is 2 (and anyone who says otherwise hasn't played it)

Now let's talk some real shit:
Nomura a shit
Amano GOAT

Nomura's monster designs are godly, though.

Amano's are better.

Worst was 5.

Because it made me spend over 300 hours in it.

Best story: VI, or maybe Tactics
Worst story: XIII (XV's would be decent if it weren't executed so poorly)

Best graphics (for their time): X (can't argue with that, XIII-1 looked purty too)
Worst graphics: Type-0

Best gameplay: V
Worst gameplay: XIII

Best world: VI, VII, or X
Worst world: XIII-2

Best summons: X
Worst summons: XIII

Most content: XII
Least content: XV

Best characters: IX
Worst characters: XIII-2

le why le didn't they use le phoenix down on le Aeris le le le?

Best: 7, 9, 12. Honorable mention to 8 for having the best final dungeon.
Worst: 10, 13

inb4 faggots defending 10.
inb4 hipsters saying 7 is bad.

He's too busy being a social justice cuck on twitter, not to mention he's busy on the 500 other translations he starts and then never finishes.