Why can't modern FPS into atmosphere?

Why can't modern FPS into atmosphere?
To this day System shock 2 and half-life 1 are able to feel more real than any FPS released today despite the aging graphics. I want this again in a shooter.

Atmosphere has a lot to do with lighting and with modern engines making everything look right and not stupidly reflective is too hard for many devs.

what

STALKER (and to a lesser extent Metro 2033) and Dying light all did atmosphere really well. I would consider all of them modern FPS games. Games like Project Reality and Squad do atmosphere really well but it depends a lot on the people you're playing with and if you are playing them like they're supposed to be played.

lol it feels like an exploration of unfinished video game features by a company that never designed a first person shooter before. Sort of like a failure museum.

SS2 and HL1's atmosphere isn't too interesting or engaging. The idea of being immersed in something is a gimmick and loses its effect significantly over time. Any developer is better off focusing on making good game play first and above everything. Although, HL1 does deserve recognition for its sense of placement in the game world.

t.Soulsfag

Metro 2033 was incredibly immersive and atmospheric, to the point where while wearing good headphones, the outdoors sections with the gas masks were fucking with my head because of the breathing noises.

Turbopleb detected, fuck off outta here.

first person shooter is a genre for casuals

Not everything has to be an area shooter.

Because realism forces every single game into one single style, therefore all look the same.

not everything has to be a shooter, don't worry you'll graduate from your dead game eventually. Who knows, maybe you'll realize some day bugs are a pretty bad thing when they infest a game so thoroughly.

I guess so

Go play F.E.A.R OP, its like playing a Japanese cyberpunk noir.

In reality different places have different atmospheres, it's just laziness.

>>>/a/

Yeah m80, but muh open world with big urban cities.

Absolutely, only someone whos never left his home country wouldn't know that.

cancer killing the industry

I bet you sperg out at ARMA for having ironsights, too. And you've probably never touched a real gun in your life, because mommy said they were bad.

in stalker: it slows down the game, its not necessary considering crouching gives you the same accuracy and not a giant metal shape in your face, it not only obfsucates your view, it zooms it in stalker, providing you a crutch, and it makes a joke of a game even easier.

We get it, you need a crutch to play piss easy slav shit, but get fucking good, you're holding back game design.

lmao milsim garbage is quite possibly the peak of first person cancer

You bait is weak but somehow others are taking you seriously.
I also hate the entire ASSFAGGOTS genre

GTA does it well though, Mafia 3 oozes atmosphere as well, too bad its a shitty fucking game.
I mean, how many fucking Open World games are set in the South of the US?

>>>/cuckchan/

entire genres can be shit, and first person games are a pretty safe bet for shit. There are a handful of good ones but not many that are worth the time. stalker is objectively a bad one. I get that it's a meme russian game but it really has no redeeming values, and the only people who like it are atmosphere fags of the worst kind.

game play matters more than anything, and stalker's atmosphere requires you be incredibly forgiving of every flaw you see because they are all immersion breaking and you will be seeing many, many, many ridiculous flaws in any playthrough.

Agreed.
STALKER has a heap of issues and only a retard would claim it isn't a buggy mess but it has an interesting setting, so interesting that many, myself included enjoy it despite the bugs.

You just seem to be making many baseless claims in your posts which is why it looks like bait. If you genuinely don't see the gameplay implications that iron sights offer then your opinion is worth very little as you clearly don't but any thought into your opinions.

I've described all the implications of iron sight shooting in stalker in a previous post, and also how the game disregards them without using them. Poorly designed.

You have to go back

Are you really trying to have a decent discussion with this baiting derailing faggot?
Hes arguing that ironsights do nothing in S.T.A.L.K.E.R, proving he hasn't even touched the game
Tell him to fuck off son

this is why stalkerfags are impossible to talk with

I think FarCry also has a neat atmosphere, its like playing as an Action Hero in a B movie with Predator gameplay and camerawork due to the vistas and level design.

the voice acting improves the game, trigens are shit tho

I played the shit out of that, dense jungle needs to be more common now even toasters can handle it.

The SVD is worse than the Makarov if you don't use the scope you autistic mess.
One has to merely pick up an MP5 just to prove your argument is bullshit.
Heres my last reply to (You)
>>>/cuckchan/

Get the fuck out already, the ayys are even more of an issue than those 2 shotgun shell meatsponges.

Cryetek could be swimming in money right now.
What a bunch of fucking retards.

it's not actually, just crouch and wait for your crosshair to tighten. sorry you're shit at one of your favorite games. Sorry your taste is also garbage.

you don't like it when people bring up how the last third of the game is ruined by boring enemy types, do you

I'm sure they got a decent payout from Amazon when it became Lumberyard but they were always terrible at marketing their engine.

it is really impressive how crytek botched it. CE2 was a great engine, although it was very front heavy with its rendering loads making it taxing for both cpu and gpu. Despite that it had superb tools and the fact that they were publicly available and incredibly fast to use was tremendous.

What a shame it was the last real PC game.

Yes, (11), and you've become the STALKER threads' equivalent of the REDDIPOL autist.

this isn't a stalker thread

try it cassie

I'm to prove your implications right?
How about you go do it and post evidence here.
Or alternatively fuck off since you dont even know how this shit works. You made a claim, you prove it.

Wish I could /agdg/ up a low-poly immersive Adventure/RPG game that uses modern shaders. I don't think such a thing exists yet, and I bet people would kill for that.

I don't care enough to reinstall shit games, I'm just saying you clearly don't know shit about your favorite games mechanics. Weird because it's so shallow. I take it you post more in stalker threads about made up epic stalker stories instead of actually playing the game, right?

Get UE4 and start learning, I smashed out a basic platformer in a week with no experience using their tutorials.
I then dropped it completely and started learning C++ for my arduino, I never follow anything through

Because it's about the diversity, not the atmosphere.

what did he mean by this

Support for normal maps, subsurface-scattering, metallic reflections, volumetric lighting, etc.

Come back when you got something else besides your gay ass.

That-
Whateer that is- is brilliant, because it gives that old horror feel only low poly gave, because it gave room for the fear of the unknown effect Lovecraft mentioned in that one quote of his.

Couple it up with highly detailed concept art for monster bestiary and decent art assets, you've a GOTY.

Thanks for nothing you faggot.

I agree, in these two games I actually felt like I was the main character in the game. This happens very rare these days. Adding to the suggestions others said, I also liked the atmosphere of a Wolfenstein game, I think it was Return to Castle but not sure

Oh also you mind explaining pic related?
So like I said. Fuck off.

I like both of them because you're not the center of the universe. Things "happen" around you without you being the main instigator, there's events outside of your control that you need to adapt to.

Also, the antagonists feel like a threat and there are mysteries to unravel. I can't imagine all that many games these days with someone like the G-Man being around without going out of their way to point it out to you. Gotta squeeze all the value they can out of their setpiece.

shit man you sure do love avoiding actually playing games

Blatantly false.

First test: Picked up a standard AK-74U and repaired to full condition. 60 rounds into right door, 52 at left because I ran out of 5.45. Fired at center until crosshair reached the top, then stopped firing and aimed at center again. Left door was crouching only, right was ironsights. Ironsights gave vastly lower climb speed and notably better grouping.

Second test: Same AK-74U. 40 rounds per test. Semi-auto mode. I let the aim fully recenter between shots. As before, left was crosshair, right was ironsights.

Third test: Used Big Ben, two mags per test. Again, I let the aim fully recenter between shots. Guess which side was ironsights and which side was crosshair? what a shocker - same as before

All of these tests were done standing in the same location.

oh, not sure if I'd consider those modern shaders, since the math for these existed for a long time now, it's more about modern hardware having fast enough fill rates to use the more expensive stuff. Normal maps and reflection on low poly stuff has been a thing for quite a few games around the doom3 era, though it depends on what you're aiming for with "low poly". Do you literally mean as few polygons as possible, or just having low poly-looking models that deform right?

crippled slowbaby needs his iron sights :^), make a webm instead if you want anyone to believe you except stalker fags

play STALKER you nostalgiafag

everyone has played it

proper low-poly won't make use of normal mapping; it'd just feel wrong. the rest are fair game, but you might want to make spare use of subsurface scattering in this case

So after we pos pictures, the data file responsible for the calculations you're just shitposting like you're right even though you havent proven anything?
Even you must see how much of a fag you're being or you have 0 self awareness.
I bet if someone makes a webm you'll just imply its edited you giant fag.

Also you move faster with your ironsight while standing than you do in low crouch, so you're the slowbaby here moron.

Nah, it'll take forever to render and I'd rather use my CPU time for actually playing video games.

Not you, apparently.

why not

The latter is more important than the former for sure. Then again, it'll all depend on the look and style you're going for.

maybe it's time to upgrade your toaster.

no one said low crouch by the way.

Low-poly means a low number of polygons, nothing else.

OR! Or…
You were alot younger back then.

Crouch implies low crouch, because normal crouch offers no benefits over low crouch. Or did you forget that the game has a low crouch? Or did you perhaps never know in the first place, because you've never actually played it?

In part, I blame people throwing bloom and camera effects all over everything.

This is why Holla Forums is dead

That's not the issue, the problem is that most modern FPS put you in a corridor and let you know it's a corridor, there is no exploration. Another problem is that few of them actually have their own art style and identity, most just default to gray and brown pseudo sci-fi military shooter trash.

As time went on games became far, far more homogenous in both presentation and gameplay, hence why older games feel more distinctive and stand out more, many thing hadn't become finalized industry standards yet and everyone was ding their own thing.

everyones shitting/shilling up the switch thread atm

God this place is filled with with the worst newfags. That's the only reason I can think of for this. It's like looking at Twitter where normalfags don't know when they're getting rused.

Complaining about it doesn't make the thread better, hes already proven hes nothing but a cuckchan shitposter here

Any of you fags ever play Dark Messiah?

Dark Messiah is top-tier. Discovered it thanks to Holla Forums, it's no wonder that it's well-loved around here.

God-tier. It's depressing though, because even though the stealth is severely gimped, it's still one of the best FPS stealth games I've played. Probably because they blatantly show their inspiration from thief.

Why did none of you report this

I got the game in 2008 for like 10 bucks on a Gayme
Best fucking purchase
Did Jewbisoft even shill this game?
I remember the later Xbawks 360 version port being more heavily shilled than the PC one.

Its made by Arkane and several of the devs there worked for Looking Glass

Nah

yeah stalker fucking blows. slavshits can't into good game design

op, have you tried Metroid Prime?

don't do low poly, after the trash that was pixel shit """"""indie""""""" devs are going into low poly and simple bland flat bright textures

this had everything right going for it

Stop

I still play Renegade X from time to time

Because they were games and didn't try to display their atmosphere with cutscenes but implemented them into a game.
It also backfired in Xen as it took you way too much from the game and you were just wondering what the fuck is happening and how the hell did you win.

Sound is much less of a focus than graphics nowadays despite sound being much more important to atmosphere. The mind will fill in gaps in graphics easily if you have a consistent art style.

Resident Evil Revelations did a great job with atmosphere mang.

RIP thread, you were good but newfags can't ignore bait and filter shitposters.

you move slower in low crouch you retard.

decent for a half finished game but damage sponge enemies are really boring to fight against.

Shit thread tbh

probably the only good thing going for unreal is the atmosphere.

The music helps a lot

A shame Shogo barely had any atmosphere outside its trailer

Your gif is not working.

Read the filename

The xbox port levels for you, stopping you from cross-classing. It's trash.

i can't help but think that devil daggers has the right look and feel for a quake-style atmospheric horror game

Pic related.

The Grand fucking Cyclops of atmospheric games.

Honestly can anyone make a list of games where you actually walk slower backwards? System Shock 2, and ironically enough Resident Evil 7 are the only games i've seen do that.

Morrowind

I don't know but in Ocarina of Time you actually walk faster backwards. Game of the year 10/10 IGN

What does the S stand for, slaughter? You almost never shoot people in those games

there was a fair amount of gunplay in the first half or so of condemned 2, if i recall. i might be wrong, the last section of the game sucked so hard i forgot a lot of it

Maybe it was because I was playing at minimum settings, but that game was a boring slogfest for me.

Modern gamer want action pack shooter where you kill everything, fuck atmosphere

First Person Smacker

You mean the second half. The most you'd get in the first half was a smg with 15 bullets in it, or your starting shotgun with like 6 shells. Occasionally you'd find a revolver. The second half was basically COD with every enemy having a assault rifle.

I was kinda getting at the Thief easter-eggs.