What the fuck did I just play and why it was so good

What the fuck did I just play and why it was so good

A bad sequel but a good game.

i guess now you know what people are talking about when they say all modern gaming sucks.

I think it works great as a sequel, what's so bad about it?

?

Everyone who picked it up, did to play Chrono Trigger 2. It's nothing like it, and has nothing on it.

not really similar to chrono trigger, but i must admit i enjoyed the multitude of crazy characters and their unique attributes. haven't seen something like that before or since.

That's like shitting on FF IX because it's not FF VIII-2. And even then, both Chrono games are highly related.

Chrono Cross innovated Trigger's already effective, albeit rustic, combat/gameplay. Sure, it's not the sequel die hard Trigger fans wanted, but I wouldn't go as far as to say Cross has nothing on Trigger. Cross is a well made rpg, and a good successor to Trigger's legacy.

Character variety is nice and makes the game much more replayable both ng and ng±. First time I went through, I ended with Serge, Kid, and Glenn. Second was Serge, Grobyc, and Orlha. Then Fargo, Doc, and Guile. Currently going through the game with Sprigg, Glenn, and Serge for that sick triple tech skill.

checked
Y'know, I think I'm gonna finally finish a playthrough.

True, the mechanics are all different, but in a good way. The game is fun to play.

Wrong, both games are deeply connected. The events of CT influence everything in CC.

Cross is good, but Trigger was better paced. No disk 2 exposition dump and "oh crap we ran out of budget" that hampered so a lot of ps1 rpgs. I don't mind them even "killing" off or what ever the hell actually happend to some of the old cast, hell if I know what actually happed to them. I think Crono and co are in limbo or something? Robo is a robot, did he not make a back up? That shit was just stupid and completely out of no where.. So much as it happens off screen and only alluded too. Hell not even a spoiler incase anyone haven't played this game in the 17 years, but its said in the first quarter of the game that Lucca gets kidnap and then dies, or died in a fire, or is stuck in limbo, but basically is off-ed off screen. Despite being a high level fire mage in a world where magic is next to non-existent.

I did like how they tried to make the big bads more of a neutral then blatantly evil. Lavos is just an animal trying to survive, and Fate was basically trying to unfuck up shit. Although I guess brain washing the island citizens so that they do the opposite of what they did in the other dimension is kind of fucked up, but their ancestors signed up for that shit, so can't give it all the blame.

The magic system was both a great idea and shit at the same time.
Good
Neat
Shit, especially when the character unique skills are tied to it as well. Good thing you can just run away and have Kid steal again. When you have her.
Good idea but in practice was complete horseshit and random luck. Even if you got down the AI patterns, they still had a chance of doing some random fuck all spell. Not that it mattered though since the summons did shit damage anyway.
Nice
Complete shit, I don't even know why so many rpgs are dead set on 3 party members for your group. Especially if its turned base. Real time combat can become a cluster fuck with more then 4+ people are on the field, but turn based shouldn't have that problem. Probably a hardware limitation, but damn is that pointless. Again though, less then half of them are any good. NG+ was a bit more fun, but still, only 3.
Fun

Crono and Marle supposedly died. After their marriage there is a scene of destruction of Guardia by Porre (which is still existing and powerful in CC).
Robo went back to future, but after Belthasar constructed Chronopolis, he chose to be integrated into the city as the Prometheus Circuit.
Lucca is the main protagonist, she found Kid (Schala's clone) at the ending of CT and raised her in the orphanage until Lynx and Harle came along to set fire to it. They did it because they wanted Lucca to release the Prometheus Circuit and let FATE access the Frozen Flame. There is no clear ending to Lucca, but she was most likely killed.
Ayla went back to the past, married Kyno and basically started the Guardia family.
Frog may or may not have returned human, it depends if Magus lived in CT. He definitely left the Masamune in Guardia, when it was later stolen/used and corrupted.
Magus was planned to be in CC, but it was cut. Guile is supposedly what it remains of the original idea. Anyway, I guess in the end he kept searching for Schala, eventually they reunited again, nothing official out there.

It shits on Chrono Trigger

horrible sequel. It should've just been a different saga with different characters.

Ayla and Frog obviously couldn't be messed with without massive time paradoxes. Crono and Marle are supposedly implied alive or at least their kids are since that would screw up the future decedents even more. The Kingdom of Guardia is supposedly still a thing. I remember reading something a while back that Zoah was suppose to be a masked Crono, but that got nicked, and Leena was suppose to be Crono's daughter, but that got nicked too. There is also a reason why Marcy looks like a mini Marle and Nikki's red hair is supposedly a rare thing, but again cut. Glenn and Cyrus was at one time confirmed to be decedents of Frog. Don't even know why they bothered changing that one. They cut and changed so much shit in the planning stages, its amazing they even made that game with its low budget.

Apparently the DS ending suppose to confirm that idea. Even though it still doesn't connect the two characters.

Also after Chrono Cross is "resolved' this is suppose to undo the bad end the original cast gets because this sequel exist. Also Schala now has cosmic powers and implied dimension hopping and time travel. Did she merge with Kid? Does she help the Crono and Marle? Who knows!

More or less. It was destroyed and annexed to Porre 1 year after Crono and Marle got married, officially is dead.

No heirs were left by Crono, Marle and other characters. Even though you can see some resemblances with some of the cast.
I suppose that all CT's cast travelled through time and met with Lucca at the orphanage at some point, otherwise how can we explain the drawings made by the kids? This may imply that they still lives somewhere, I don't know.

That's right. Magus was originally to be put at Guile's place (to safeguard Kid etc..), but then they decided to cut him because it was hard to fit him in CC's story, so they opted for Guile which is just a character who reminds of Magus, but it is not him.

I don't think she merged with Kid, in the diary you see at the end there is a picture of Serge and Kid's marriage. BUT when Lavos got separated from Schala with the Chrono Cross the dimension got restored to one, SO Serge and Kid couldn't be alive at all!
I'd wish the story was less complicate.

Does anyone have a gif from the OP showing the kid, then the camer entering her eye?

Their had to be an heir, because otherwise this fucker wouldn't exist. If He doesn't exist in 2300A.D, then Chrono and Co couldn't have saved his ass in the future, which they already made a "good" future. If they didn't go into the future, they would never have saw Lavos. If they didn't learn about Lavos, they wouldn't have tried to change a thing. If they didn't try to change anything then Chrono Cross would never have happen.

Thats not even going into the double-triple layer time traveling BS Chronopolis was dicking around with. Its nice to see the universe just get fed up with their pull shit and just crashes everything.

Play Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes, supposedly a bunch of fans got themselves the script and plotlines that would bridge Trigger and Cross, but Squaresoft didn't have the time or budget left for a non-Final Fantasy title, so they cut and rushed the shit out of the game.

The only gif I have is in shit quality. Here's the opening, so you can make one yourself.

Time travel worked fine in CT until CC came along, I know.

The problem is that Chrono Cross didn't happen, once the Time Devourer is defused, everything reverts to the original CT happy ending. Guardia is fine, Chrono and Lucca and co are still alive, as no Devourer means no Chronopolis sent back in time which means no Lynx which means no burning of Lucca's orphanage.

Feel kind of bad for the seven Dragon Balls Gods. Yeah, they pull a fast one and all, but imagine if you where one of them, you where just chilling in your dragon lair, when all of a sudden time and space crashes around you and suddenly hairless apes are shooting lasers at you. Do they fit in to the fixed time line? I would imagine not, but that would be no kick ass giant dragons now, Dinosaurs.

Also, dead sea was metal as fuck. Wish there was more of it.

How can one girl be so perfect?

Chrono Break when? I hate Squeenix…

FF13-2 was originally pitched and developed as Chrono Break. Lightning Returns was originally pitched and developed as Valkyrie Profile Hrist.

Not a Chrono Trigger sequel, that's for sure.

source?

If you don't show me a source on that I'm going to call you on that bullshit.

Also:
Oh hell no.

you guys talk like marketers

That's like shitting on FF IX because it's not FF VIII-2. And even then, both Chrono games are highly related.
no its not, Chrono Cross is a Sequel, not just another game in a franchise

landscape shit sucks
he means not as good as CT and you're wrong anyway because you can't reference save data when starting CC

Diminish+Spam attack. This breaks the game.

I wish I was, so then I'd be paid to respond to your dumbass.
:^)
polite sage for off topic shitpost

That's cute, you're wrong. The strong standouts of CC are as follows

- Potential of its battle mechanics
- Lush and fucking beautiful maps
- Colorful characters that pertain to story
- Not grind-heavy thanks to the exp/star sharing system
- The godlike soundtrack
- The godlike soundtrack
- The motherfucking GODLIKE soundtrack

And its drawbacks
- Battle system not entirely well thought out. Double/Triple techs are pointless, as are summons. Percentage accuracy system can and is easily abused, taking all the challenge out of all but maybe three fights (And one you're not even supposed to win)
- Roster bloat. Insane, Suikoden level roster bloat. And all of them feel insanely samey. Individual stories are great and that's ALL they bring to the table. Waste of time, otherwise aside of the "I like this character" feels.
- It mashed the Chrono Trigger plot in during the second half to not only utterly destroy the game's pacing, but also destroy the fond memories the player may have had of CT as agency and good will are stamped all over allegedly in a fit of the writers being edgy.
- The various endings aren't actually fun to chase after
- The True End is a goddamned joke of a sendoff, not at all weighted or meaningful, unlike its predecessor.
- This is a technical argument but that game had no fucking business on a PSX, and Square damn well should've waited until PS2 processing power was obtained to finish & release it. The fucking slowdown is tooth-grindingly annoying.

Chrono Cross is a fun game with a lot of standalone potential that was slightly bruised by all the new mechanics attempts it made, but almost entirely marred by the baggage from CT's narrative shoehorned into its plot. For non CT players it's confusing, and for CT players it's one long segment of shooting Old Yeller again and again and again and fucking again.

Goddamn that fucking excellent soundtrack, tho.

If that's true then I'm glad the Chrono series is dead and they never made a new one after CC.

Chrono Trigger was a special game that will never happen again. The game was a collaboration between Enix and Squaresoft back when the two of them were in their prime and back in the 90s when JRPGs were still good.

Maybe if Mistwalker + Bravely Default devs + Dragon Quest team all collaborate on a AAA JRPG that's closer to Bravely Default or I Am Setsuna in gameplay than it is to FF15 you could recreate the CT dream team's magic, but the odds of this happening are zippo.

Chrono & Marle were killed in the Porre invasion of Guardiana. The neighboring kingdom to the south that had no standing army? The joke of a boss in Zeal, Dalton, ended up in Porre, raised an army, and burned Guardiana to the ground.
- Lucca was killed by Lynx who was hunting Kid
- Robo was killed by Mother Brain 2.0 aka Chronopolis' computer
- Glenn/Frog died of old age or someshit as a hermit iirc
- Magus went into PTSD and erased his memory after losing pitifully to the Time Devourer. He's SUPPOSED to be that fruity fucking magician you find in the first major town next to Vipor Mansion.
- Ayla, Kino, and her tribe "die" to the dinos that make Dinopolis. The cave baby you find in CC is her daughter
-tl;dr everyone in CT is Old Yeller. Everyone.

If memory serves, Square even complained about the DS port's sales, saying that clearly if people had wanted a new Chrono game, they'd have bought more of the port (which was a port of a game that had come to NA twice already and was emulatable in its prior incarnations by that point, though admittedly that was the first time PAL had gotten the game, fourteen years after its original debut). I really just think they don't want anything more to really do with the IP, beyond ports, digital rereleases, and maybe the occasional shoutout in another game/series at this point.

I still haven't finished this game. I started playing it and the fun, happy-go-lucky, but still sometimes serious world of Chrono Trigger got replaced by a super edgelord ugly 3d game without heart or soul.

If I go into the game as its own game and not related in anyway to chrono trigger, can I enjoy it anons?

I never got into Chrono Cross. I can play it any time because of emulation but I just cant get into it. I remember seeing it on store shelves back in the day but didn't know it was a true sequel to Chrono Trigger. I just thought it was some spiritual successor and without the artwork of Akira Toriyama I wasn't really appreciating it as much. People keep saying its good, but I somehow doubt it being that the original Chrono Trigger is so overrated.

I played as a child, didn't know chrono Trigger existed, therefore I fucking loved it.

This game is shit and shits all over everything that made Chrono Trigger good.

That's what I felt back in the day, but I'm wondering if it would be good on its own merits if you treat it as having nothing to do with Chrono Trigger.

You think? There is no pleasing some people I guess. For me, it's probably on par with Xenogears, just a completely different feel and style.

It's way better than Chrono Trigger because not everyone looked like Goku

I have to agree with him that CT is overrated. I'm not saying it's bad by any means, but a lot of it is pretty much bog-standard as far as JRPGs go. Part of that may be a case of "seinfield is unfunny", but I am strongly of the opinion that being the first to do or popularize something doesn't inherently make it better.

That doesn't imply anything. The games are still connected. And those connections can be found in Radical Dreamers and the stuff that came before Chrono Cross.

That's like ordering a hamburger, being served a hot dog, and the waiter says 'don't judge it on the merits of being a hamburger'. Doesn't matter how good the dog is, i'm gonna be munching on it thinking of the burger i never had.

Unless, of course, it's an exceptional hot dog like, for example, FF Tactics was, or in a non-RPG sense, Resident Evil 4.

I think you're suffering from reverse-nostalgia: you don't realize how ballin' CT was when it came out.

Reminder that overrated does not equate to "bad" on its own. Chrono Trigger is pretty good in my experiences with it. Admittedly though I haven't given Chrono Cross a go yet myself, so I can't speak for whether or not I find it to be good at this point.

what's that? you were having FUN? well, NOT ANYMORE

Honestly, that fight wasn't hard at all. The first time you aren't expecting a move that insta-kills one of your members, but Diminish + Healing/Revive is more than enough.

look closer at the picture and pay attention to detail look at the elemental wheel or whatever it was called

If you let it go all white then it's the player's fault

first what this user said is correct.
I don't mind Chrono Trigger. When I first played it I thought it was great but it doesn't have much replayability aside form seeing the alternative gimmick endings, which you can accomplish in one pay through with save scumming.
Second, Xenogears is very overrated as well considering half the game is unfinished garbage. Sure the combat and artwork is great, it had potential to be one of the greatest JRPGs. However the story is so bloody convoluted that its hard to really appreciate it unless your are a fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion. The characters are all unlikable and its hard to care about what is happening. I personally hold Dragon Quest 3 (nes), Dragon Quest 4 (nes), Breath of Fire II, Breath of Fire III and FF5 as my Idealize top traditional JRPG's of all time (excluding TRPG's). The fact that people constantly put Chrono Trigger and Xenogears in the top 2 games is baffling. Sometimes I wonder if its not partially because they haven't played other JRPGs or are just conforming to peer pressure. It's maybe in my top 10 or top 20 JRPG's but there are many more games I would rather play if given the option.

While it sometimes has a few good jokes (usually George or Kramer) Seinfeld is often more irritating, whinny and neurotic than actually funny in my humble opinion. and Curb Your Enthusiasm is pure shit

Diminish+Healing/basic attacks is more than enough for the entire game, including the final boss. Only the bonus/side bosses require some other strategy and only because they are basically puzzle bosses.

of course it is. but that doesn't make it any less ass destroying.

Disposable weebshit

1/10

"Seinfeld is unfunny" is a trope referring to the something that has become retroactively generic and bland by being copied to death, despite being original and fresh when it first was made.

My point was that Crono Trigger was one of the earliest examples of what later became the standard for most of JRPGs. Sure, AT THE TIME it was fucking amazing but by comparison to what came after, not so much.

A good game that was a bad sequel.

Because it was made before Sqauresoft became irredeemable shit.

I want to marry Harle.

There are way better waifus in the game, such as Leena, Orlha, Miki, Razzly, Steena or even irenes.

How about no

No you are full of shit because the first JRPGs I ever played was Dragon Quest and the Original Final Fantasy on NES. The only thing remarkable about Chrono Trigger was that it was the first time Squaresoft and Enix worked together. It was the Dragon Quest Team working with the Final Fantasy team with the art of Akira Toriyama. It was "Generic" because that's Koichi Nakamura sensibilities. Is a decent game, I was sold on it by Nintendo Power calling it the Dream Team. Akira Toriyama, Nobuo Uematsu, Yūji Horii, Kazuhiko Aoki, Hironobu Sakaguchi where all veterans with good games under their belts. Still it was by no means groundbreaking. The only thing truly innovative was having multiple endings on a console game.
no, it just wasn't ever that funny. I honestly sorta hate the show aside form a few rare time where I honestly found it funny. hehehe a "trope". Are you sure you are not lost? Maybe you would be more comfortable back on NeoGAF

t. thirty year old who was into JRPG's before they were "cool"

I would hug crying Harle and tell her everything will be alright

How can one user have such a shit taste?

But that would be a lie ;_;

FUN FACT: Harley would NTR you for Serge

Serge is literally just a self-insert

Who cares

that's what a cuckold would say :^)

Bro I bought Chrono Trigger brand new back in the day too. It was mindblowing at the time. Saying it was "just a decent game" is bullshit revisionist history. I'm not just being nostalgic either. I replay the game every few years and it's always a blast to play. Can't say the same about any JRPG released in the last maybe 10-15 years.

Modern JRPGs are cancer.

I don't think you know what nostalgia means.

Nostalgia would mean that the game was never good in the first place, that I'm only remembering it fondly, and that if I were to replay it again I would realize how poor it actually is. The exact opposite is true. The game was actually great at the time and it still holds up to this very day.

Saying modern JRPGs are cancer are pretty much the words of a nostalgiafag that will only see old games as the good ones.

Not really. The story is a fucking mess and the combat is shit because of how magic and techs work. There are some special snowflakes that will defend it, but most of those people have speedrunner-tier autism.

Fuck you nigger, Xenogears was actually good.

My issue with Chrono Cross is how ALL OF IT is out of left field. You travel the world in Chrono Trigger, and nowhere are there "dragon gods". I can buy am archipelago or two coming out of nowhere, because there is no way the SNES could do that many places, but having sudden divine deities, among other things, makes CT a lot weirder in context.

Also, don't fucking tell me that Chrono would be killed by fucking Dalton. Don't give me that shit. Its like they took pleasure in ruining the originals ending: Lucca either dies or runs away forever, Gato spontaneously develops a fear of mortality as he burns, Chrono and Marle die off screen right after their fucking wedding (with that really fucking cute cutscene in the PS1 version onwards), Frog lives, but the Masamune is suddenly EEEEVIIIIIL because Masa and Mune fucking fell asleep(???), And once you reclaim it, it goes from the coolest goddamn broadsword ever, to a neon green, spiky dual bladed Bat'leth knockoff, and it doesn't even require a hero's trial to awaken the proper power. Murder whoever designed that weapon. Also, Robo dies literally the most futile death, to the boss of his side quest from CT, which implies he never got his happy ending with Atropos, and Magus still gets his little shadow spying bit when they read Schala's journey which is also supported by the secret boss of the CT DS port, but it's left completely unfulfilled in game.

Nothing you did in CT mattered, you made everything worse, and it turns out the true hero was this little faggot with a bandana, and Marle-but-more-of-a-whore. It slits on the previous game, and the ending implies that it all fit transported to our world in some kind of message about dreams and adventure.

the STORY is connected
a continuation
the games are not directly influenced by each other

Lucca may have a fate tied to brainwashing and descent into full mad scientistry
Luccia being a different person is based entirely on her word; she knows far too much about Kid

also, Dalton must have been preparing the invasion for years. Grobyc was made in AD 994 by Porre's advanced military biolabs. You know, the ones that were totally there

That's the other thing: I went to Lorre, it was a shit hole, and the mayor was super nice. They had 0 military presence, and it was hardly even a country.

That's before the Time Devourer, Dalton and Lynx/FATE started fiddling with the timeline (which the former and latterest had been doing since before Chrono Trigger ended, after Lavos is defeated) to make their endgames work out the way they wanted. All of that is now undone.

If it reverted the timeline to as it was, I would be better. But it somehow warped the dimensions to turn it into our world, so nothing happened, meaning robo and frog probably stopped existing.

Schala's wandering around 1999 AD in their world. It didn't magically become Earth, that would make CT Xenosaga 0 instead of Xenogears 6.

I meant the FMV, they used footage of Tokyo. According to the dev it's supposed to represent how Kid is in our dimension, and we need to find her or something. I don't quite like how it gets this weird philosophical vibe, CT mostly limited that to the camping scene and oddly the Reptite Castle.

And all of Zeal. Those parts were written by Kato, who wrote most of CC and plotted Xenogears with Takahashi.

I prefer the older turn-based combat over the modern ADHD action-based combat. Older JRPGs also had more freedom and exploration, but now it's all just straight corridors with no world maps and no towns. There's legitimate reasons to prefer older JRPGs to new ones.

The vast majority ARE cancer, just like everything. There have been very few good JRPGs recently. Last year there was what, ToCS2 and BD?

*BS

Right, I forgot about that. That was a neat area, but it didn't work out over a whole game.

Bumping for interests.

Hey man, don't shit on my childhood waifu. I agree with everything else you said though.

Holy shit this game came out almost 20 years ago

you know what that means