What's with fantasy and past settings being so generic and boring?

What's with fantasy and past settings being so generic and boring?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalocnus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Course_landaise
antediluviansalad.blogspot.com.es/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons_in_games#Role_Playing_Games
weirdrussia.com/2014/06/08/fantastic-art-of-vsevolod-ivanov/
quora.com/What-is-the-Kabardino-Balkaria-megalith
timecube.2enp.com/
antediluviansalad.blogspot.com.es/2016/09/night-stalker-rex-part-i-sue-is-built.html
retrieverman.net/2010/10/27/the-wolves-of-paris/
canopy.uc.edu/bbcswebdav/users/gibsonic/Snaiad/snduterus.html
bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/romans/fallofrome_article_01.shtml
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Haytham
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Did you forget that you already made because you're drunk?

Apparently someone had the same idea as me.

Now look at pic related which lived during the middle ages and explain to me why it doesn't show up in vidya.

Newsflash, game developers don't try anymore and are only in it for cheap cash grabs.

because in the middle ages nobody knew what the fuck a madagascar was

Its the result of risk reduction. People will go with familiar over foreign.

you'd end up playing as Polynesian spear chuckers
you'd end up playing as VERY early civilizations, nothing fancy

fighting megafauna would be cool, but contextualizing them is much harder
I doubt there were many knights in Madagascar
you're absolutely right about the settings being boring, but you're sort of just throwing stuff in that really didn't have a place there

It's more believable to have animals that actually existed but in the wrong place than animals that don't exist and are generic fantasy animals.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a knight civlilzation finding new and crazy land and they are trying to take it over but it has shit like giant eagles and stuff

I just thought it was weird seeing both threads directly next to each other on the front page.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. There are shit-tons of extinct animals that would be fucking awesome in games that are just never touched for some reason. If a game is going for extinct animals, it's usually just dinosaurs at the most.
As fantasy games go, it would be cool to see more cryptids in games. Anything beyond the obvious Kraken, Yeti, Bigfoot, and Chupacabra would be awesome.
Imagine running into a Bunyip or a Dobhar-chu.
The best we've got is the Zelda: Majora's Mask Flatwoods Monsters, or Monster Hunter, but I don't think that really counts.

Oh and ground sloths existed up until right during the golden age of egypt which isn't that long ago.

I ain't see nothing wrong with that.

why did we kill all of the cool shit?

Why do you assume it was hunted to extinction? Thing go extinct all the time for a dozen reasons.

Well all the cases in the OP are because of humans.
We hunt and kill all big things because they have the most meat for the work.

thats fine I suppose, but you'd kind of turn it into more of a weird dark aged farcry 3 than like a traditional medieval setting, which is totally fine, I just don't think thats exactly what op was getting at

ah, my bad, but which ones? I doubt we were getting megatherium sized behemoths at that point

oh no its totally fine by me (as long as it isn't butchered like in farcry primal) that just wasn't what op was talking about specifically

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalocnus
This is the last known ground sloth which lived until the 16th century.

Futurama did the sci-fi the best and it was a fucking parody.

yeah thats what I figured
I mean I wouldn't want to fight one but they were dwarfed by some of their predecessors

Ground Sloth were going out because of inability to adapt, Haast Eagle died off because it couldn't adapt fast enough to a new diet, and Roman's aren't extinct at all.

Couldn't survive getting it's man food source taken away by humans.
I bet you think Italians are "Roman".

That's not the same as being wiped out by humans.

Your picture of a bunyip is inaccurate

That's like saying it was the water who killed the person you drowned.
If you take an animals food source away it will die.

never heard it spun that way before
humans are an incredibly invasive species
its almost impossible to adapt when a foreign species changes your entire ecosystem's synergy, especially when you're at the top
evolution favors specialization even if it ends up digging you into a corner

They are if they live in Rome.

Evolution favors specialization because otherwise you all get eaten. If you're not the best at surviving in some specific way, some other species that's better at it is going to make it so you can't survive at all, even if just by displacement.

Is Mario from Rome?

No it's not.

No, it will eat something else. That's like banning someone from a McDonalds and then accepting blame that they starved to death a week later. They could've ate elsewhere, ate something else. Not your fault they're retards.

Haast Eagles didn't just eat Moa, they could've adapted to survive on the small items available but instead didn't, because they were a genetically lazy species, like the Mexicans.

It's not a spin, it's a revision based on more recent evidence. Look around for current research, their food source died out due to weather changes.

Tell that to your mom

TELL THAT TO YOUR DAD

Mario's not from Rome, he's from Mushroom Town in the Mushroom Kingdom.

I miss Futurama but at the same time I'm glad it ended and didn't turn into Simpsons.

Christ almighty how is that thing supposed to even function, also I've seen like 4 different depictions of what a bunyip is supposed to look like so I don't think there's much of a consensus.

I'm not sure if you've watched seasons 5-7 but it turned into the bastard lovechild of Family Gay and The Chimpzones.

But it didn't have anything else to eat.

It was a carnivore/omnivore, and it was the alpha predator of the whole island. It could kill and eat, and did kill and eat, humans beings. Are you McFucking kidding me right now?

Yeah they were mostly shit but some of the best episodes were in them (The Late Philip J. Fry, for example).

How is pulling an extinct animal from guatemala or Madagascar and putting it into a medieval european setting better than just making an animal up?

But they don't. They put a generic fantasy animal in the game. They didn't "Make up" Dragons or other generic fantasy creators, someone else did a long time ago.

I don't think you quite understand how the whole predator/prey arms race works
Haast's Eagles had evolved to prey on a particular large prey item, yes they could supplement that diet with other game, but it wasn't the main food source
large predators need large prey, and if that starts to dwindle so does the predator
their metabolism was too damn demanding to keep such great size and survive on scraps

you do understand that environmental changes hit apex predators the hardest right?

Because a lot of aboriginals refused to draw them because:
A) it would summon them
B) it would actually make them
C) It would bring bad luck (tbh there were a whole lot of things that brought bad luck in abo mythology)
Still they had various descriptions and all of them made it out to be an abomination, usually composed of parts of different animals (Considering that Platypuses were only recently discovered at the time and people outside Australia thought they were fakes really put Australians on edge)
The only Solid consensus was that it was in water or near it

Still i dont think its as scary as the vampire, Vore-loving, red, Koala Mantlet that drains peoples blood, then devours them, later regurgitating them, giving them a redddish skin and making them shorter, and then repeats swallowing them and regurgitating them until they themselves are a vampire, Vore-loving, red, Koala Mantlet that then sits in a tree waiting for some other faggot to come by.
Yara-ma-yha-who are fucking retarded

There aren't enough humans to sustain an apex predator because humans themselves are an apex predator.

Unless it's a good species and adapts successfully, like every successful species ever. Any faggot knows that. Haast died out because it couldn't adapt, not because humans extincted it.

Don't make excuses for the Mexicans of New Zealand birds.

If there are enough to wipe out the Moa then there are enough of them to be eaten.

No. That isn't how it works. There is ALWAYS going to be more plant eaters than animal eaters.
There were far more Moa than human but humans ate more than one Moa each.
In fact there is onyl about 10% as much energy resource in each level of predation from the last.

Yeah and the Haast Eagle should've dwindled to a sustainable number, but didn't because they're genetically retarded. Yet another reason as to why they killed themselves.

user, it doesn't work like that. 10% of it's previous population isn't sustainable.

It's worked like that for every successful predator species that survived through any major environmental change ever.

Not when you are a species that exists only on a single island. Their numbers weren't great to begin with and because they were big their numbers were already smaller.
Learn 2 biology.

there are no "good species" dipshit
you adapt to your environment
you dominate your environment
the environment changes
the culmination of your adaptations is now a burden rather than a blessing
you go extinct
more moderately adapted species takes the place and the cycle continues
the only way to "play it safe" is to never adapt too well, which doesn't make any sense for survival unless the niche is already taken
why do you think this planet has had so many insanely powerful apex predators?
animals at the top of their food chain are at the most risk of going extinct

And please keep this shit coming, I'm currently taking notes.

If you want an explanation, it's ignorance. I had no fucking idea that this shit existed.

Oh, so you're saying it's a shitty species that couldn't adapt now? Thanks for agreeing with me, retard.

Yeah there is. It does:
When it stops doing that, it's no longer a good species.

It's bad because it lived on an Island?
So the fact that it evolved on an island makes it shitty?
What?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Course_landaise

That is still really cool but pic related was actually about the size of the bulls being leaped back then.

Actual Australian animals are so scary that Australian bogeymen end up ridiculous to people who aren't constantly in a state of fear from horrible killer everything.

When you live in a country with giant bird-eating spiders, snakes that swallow men whole, packs of baby-eating dogs, fungi that make animals kill themselves, plants that make you feel so much pain that you commit suicide, and Australians, the shit you have to make up has to be more scary to you than "it'll kill you", "it'll eat you", "it makes you kill yourself", or "it's an omen of death", given that all of that just comes with living in Australia.

sweet christ you don't understand how evolution works
then nothing is a good species
you've got this weird Lamarckian idea behind evolutionary mechanics
you do know animals can't change at will right?

Ok user. Not some huge animal but

Nice, killer whale looking penguin motherfucker

this sounds ungrateful, but anything really fucking weird?

I'm talking like "you can use this fucker as the Jabberwocky" weird.

At this point I'm just waiting for death
Worse case scenario that if dont die soon, I'll smuggle thousands of redbacks, Brown snakes, tiger snakes and at least a few dozen Funnel webs under my Trenchcoat before making Suicidal Run into Parliament House and go down in a blaze of Venomous creatures
Hopefully their old bodies will not be able to handle the venom so well
Might have to resort to taipans instead of brown snakes then

Oh man, next the flat earthers and christcucks are going to show up.

It's ok user. This isn't 4chan's /his/ where most of them believe the earth is only 6k years old.

Holy shit how fucking retarded can they get?
Everyone knows the earth is only 2017 years old, which is why its the year 2017
How fucking unbelievably fucked in the head can they be?

The middle ages were awful

antediluviansalad.blogspot.com.es/

Really, I recommnend this blog. The theories are plausible and interesing, making reconsider a lot of what could be the past in reality.

jesus fuck

seems a bit too fanciful for me but really cool ideas

It's not.
You finding it boring is subjective - probably because you played 100 games with similar settings.

I can create the greatest and most tasty dish - objectively better tasting than anything else - yet if you were to eat only that eventually you'd get sick of it.

While I love Rome, personally I find knights 100000 times cooler. Your dream game is uninteresting to me.

Yeah I get that feeling too
Like, nobody is still alive today to tell us how it was, we just have texts and drawings, so I think it was actually very different of what we imagine Maybe it was less shitty of a period, who knows?

But yeah I'd like to see something happening in a fantasy medieval times that's not fucking Tolkien all the way. It's fantasy, we shouldn't cater that much to the rules of the genre.

Ther's a lot of things peopel get wrong about middle ages.

for example:
- women were allowed to fight in judicial duels
- there were actually many crazy inventions going around (like a working diving cuit/skafander)
and so on.

It wasn't nearly as dark and dirty and bad as most people think.

Food, money, luxury goods. The global whale population is on the order of 1% of 1% of what it was before we started whaling. People used to joke that you could walk across the ocean on the backs of whales because you literally could not go to the sea without seeing a shit ton of whales. And who knows what crazy shit living on the sea floor went extinct when whale carcasses started floated down there much less often.

Australia's fauna and flora is fucking meme tier once you realize most of that scary shit would die out instantly the moment it would come into contact with Eurasian species.
It makes you realize how fucking deadly the ecosystem is in which we evolved and that we take as normal.

Because they are basically low-quality copies of Lord of the Rings. For example, dwarfs and elves fit his setting whereas most post-Tolkien works just copy-paste them without discretion; there's no 'why,' just "let's put them because they are so cool." You know what I'm saying?

There's no sense of history, no understanding of mythology, no place for religion etc. It's all for the looks.

Fuck OP you made me feel.

The last RPG I've played that was set in the medieval ages was Darklands and that was released way back in 1992.

Even better. In one Russian city, women were allowed to send a man to fight for them in a judicial duel, UNLESS they were fighting other woman.

Strategy game is Medieval 2, adventure game… I have no clue, action game never ever. Games actually set in the medieval ages are rare as fuck, American fauxTolkien kitsch is very common though.

My knave

I can only imagine how pissed would a person from medieval times would get on how often we half-ass games regarding to his time.

The genesis of fantasy genre from myths, to early romances, to the "fairy stories" of the late 19th century and early 20th century, to pulp authors and Tolkien, and the immediatly onsetting degeneration of the genre is a fascinating process.

It's fantasy, but FFXV had some cool megafauna.

Holy fuck why is this so much scarier?

Yet we're the first to complain whenever we see a nigger in a medieval setting lel

Brethren! It's still one of my favorite RPGs.

How did this even happen? The fantasy genre is all about made up shit that never happened, more often than not with made up universe mechanics (like magic). It's an incredibly wide definition, and yet it's become "elves'n'dwarves'n'dragons'n'shiet" ever since Tolkien released his works

Part of the appeal of fantasy is worldbuilding, and yet retarded authors insist on using Tolkien's shit with little to no additions (in fact, it's usually dumbed down to the extreme). If you don't feel like making up everything, could loosely base it on Greek mythos, on South American legends, on Hinduist religion or even on the same European legends Tolkien used to base his world off, but instead, you decide to grab what's nowadays the blandest and entriest level fantasy and call it a day. Holy shit, use your imagination or go write something else.

People don't even use the opportunity to expand on Tolkien concepts, they actually dumb it down. Not to mention it's always medieval europe and the worlds are always in complete time stasis. Even Tolkien is to blame for that, his universe spams thousands of years and it never evolves past medieval europe.

What pisses me the most is when people try to come up with bullshit excuses like "they don't need to develop technology because dragos 'n magic!". Just admit you're a lazy fuck!

To me it seems fantasy genre was born with terminal cancer. Before it was actually seens as a separate genre, authors just wrote fanciful stories about whatever. As soon as the definative genre started to form after people wanted more books just like LotR, the genre started immediatly dying. Similarly writing science fiction became a contest of trying to stuff your head as deep in your arse with the science as soon as people started calling it science fiction.

Tolkien got his inspiration directly from old myths. He learned Finnish, one of the hardest to learn languages in the world, *just so he could read the Kalevala in the original language*.

The problem comes from people who never read any old myths and instead got their fantasy inspiration, often this used to be from Tolkien, Howard, etc, and while Tolkien's quality is pretty damn good people got the wrong idea from it, moreover, these days they are just copying other newer fantasy like DnD, Warhammer, Warcraft, that sort of thing.

Want to make fantasy great again, do what Tolkien did and go back to reading ancient European myths. Beowulf, the Kalevala, old Greek stuff, whatever.

Though devs should keep in mind that they're doing it for a video game and not try to tell it like they're writing a book or showing a movie. Vid kind of related. Myth is good for inspiration but should remember they're making a game, not a new myth, and play to the game's strengths.

It's not, pick up a history book sometime.

Because the people who write any setting nowadays are just copying the surface elements of settings that influenced their tastes. I'll use a BioWare written phrase for irony sake here: demons of the fade are copying humans without understanding humans.

See, when a setting is well thought out, it is usually conceived by someone who has studied more than just shitty basic literature in college. These people draw from the sciences they have studied and so they create settings that not only are interesting and with natural potential to be expanded, but that also make sense.

Creating a setting isn't just making up random nonsense names and blending elements from other works together. World building involves a lot of work and it never has to be fully complete, but as long as it has a strong foundation that makes sense, it can be expanded on forever in interesting ways. The hacks that create settings for modern games never go balls deep because they are uncultured, they can only copy. Sometimes they even create interesting settings by accident but always end up wasting their potential, see Bioware first titles and then the respective sequels.

SNOOKI WANT SMOOSH-SMOOSH

Medieval Europe's actually rather rare in fantasy tbh. Most fantasy is a weird sort of mishmash of stuff that doesn't really match any time period, by people who're just copying other pop fantasy.

I worded it poorly, medieval europe was probably not the correct term. I meant the "knights and dragon" stuff. Just wish people would get more creative and try to add development to their wordbuilding. It's just so lazy to have a setting that spams thousands of years and both culture and tech never changes in the slightest.

Isn't there also some kind of jellyfish out there that makes the victim of it's sting pretty much beg to die? Like, it's not even just from the pain, but it actively affects desire to survive the sting?

More games could use some of those Cambrian era creatures. A fair amount of them belonged to animal groups that we don't have proper modern relatives for and look rather alien from what we've found of them.

And then there's Anomalocarids, which can be considered to have relation to modern arthropods, but it still looks weird, had grasping spiked "arms" to bring prey to a circular, plated mouth, had VERY advanced eyes for a creature of such a time, and could be multiple feet long while other creatures of the time were much smaller. I think it's been in a few games, namely Pokemon (artistic liberties making it cute as Anorith) and at least one Endless Ocean game (admittedly I haven't played those myself).

The "Cambrian Explosion" is actually pretty neat if you're into paleontology.

Because most normalfags and the other Niggers don't read books. There is a universe of other more amazing shit out there, it just simply never makes the step from the printed media into other forms of media.

Yes, it's called platypus.

Jokes aside, jesus fuck I hate jellyfishes so much. I have acute jellyfish phobia, like, I can't even look at the photo of jellyfish. I refuse to even go into the sea, because there might be a jellyfish in there. And worst thing, there isn't even a proper name for my phobia. All retarded phobias have their own cool names, and my phobia of disgusting poisonous tentacled pulsating slime blobs is just "jellyfish phobia". No, actually the worst thing is how I am living in a place that is probably the most remote place from the ocean on entire Earth, and then they go and find freshwater jellyfish in my country. It's like I'm a protagonist of Junji Ito manga.

Middle ages are the best setting hands down.
Instead of extinct animals devs usually put in fantasy animals of their own creation.

Is a fad started by skyrim.

A shit.

that is a valid complaint.

The total number of blacks present in Europe at that time was no more than a dozen.

You are underage, please leave.

So you've never played Morrowind?

It's the truth. Before skyrim RPG games hardly had dragons in them.

Is this bait? You know dragons are so endemic to RPGs that there was a series of games (before Skyrim) that literally just called itself
D R A G O N A G E
because of how fucking fad-tastic they are. Even other recent, pre-Skyrim stuff, like ASoIaF, How to Train Your Dragon, Eragon, etc.
I'm sorry for biting.

Great, that's one game.

I've got family that lives by a bigass aquarium that has a massive section on local jellies out where they are. They can be pretty, but I would NOT want to get in the tank with them.

Out of curiosity, do man-of-wars scare you too? Because they're not actually jellies, but rather whole colonies of organisms that have assumed a very similar form as a bigass jellyfish, and act like a composite creature with each individual performing a function for the whole.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons_in_games#Role_Playing_Games

Every LotR game ever made.

I think he's talking about the irukandji. It's a jellyfish the size of human nail. It's poison causes extreme pain that can last for several days. Some women who got stung by it says the pain starts comparable to giving birth and constantly goes up from there. Morphine does little to nothing since the enough dosage to decrease this kind of pain would kill you. There is also no way to develop an antidote because each irukandji have a different type of venom. Only thing doctors can do when you get stung is keep you hydrated and fed, hoping the pain won't kill.

What makes these things specially dangerous is that they are small enough to get through protective nets (the ones they put on beaches to keep jellyfish, sharks and other dangerous animals away from the people), so the only way to avoid it is to not go on the water. They are so tiny and transparent that for a long time people thought this was a new disease and not the work of poison.

Anyways I want more RPGs with creatures based around the sort of cosmic horrors you'd see in a lovecraft story. Bloodborne scratched that itch but I want more. Also the majority of enemies are more in line with gothic horror.

I'm never going near the ocean again.

I hate these cunts, them and box jellyfish are the reason you can barely swim in the waters of North QLD.

Depending on the tides and wind you'd get a shit load of bluebottle jellyfish, they're not deadly but they sting like hell. They're pretty entertaining because you get to watch tourists screaming and freaking out once they've been stung.

Knowing shit like this I would cry for my life if I ever felt a sting while swimming in the ocean.

We could even use some rather unknown animals as basis, like sea lilies, sea cucumbers, vampire squids, or pretty much any bathypelagic/abyssopelagic fauna.
To be honest, all you really need to know to make some interesting creatures is a little understanding of evolution and ecology. Just take some weird mechanism that already exists and explore fun ways to show it (like external digestion, starfish style).

Kek, maybe you should pitch this to him.

This fish has eyes inside his head that only look upwards. The ocean is a fascinating place.

What about a psychopath, sadistic, murderous monster who hunts in packs, and feels the constant need to kill and rape. Then mother nature decides to make it a cuddly cute thing with this constantly friendly smile on it's face.

Eragon is like the worst of generic fantasy, coupled with a slow as fuck pacing. I regret even reading that shit, and I couldn't even get past the first fourth of Eldest.

Really, without all the purple prose, the first book could be reduced to maybe one fucking third of what it is. A rundown of all the relevant events would probably be at best one page long, and that's not even trying to write it like a synopsis.

And I am talking about books here. It's all the same shit, just simplified Tolkien or D&D with some gimmicks. Worst thing is most fantasy writers tend to have the 'tism and write thousands of pages about their magical realm without bringing anything new to the table, so you only realize you are reading the same fucking shit after you get past the first 300 pages of purple prose.

To put an example, the latest setting I had to read was the 13th Age manual, and it had some really, really cool things (like a secret floating island HAARP powered by runic windmill generators, amongst others), but it doesn't quite manage to shrug off that D&D flavour, because that's what it is at its very core.

I want my fantasy to be imaginative, or batshit insane, and people usually mention Kirkbride's writings for TES whenever I say that. It's true, ancient tech mechas that got multiplied by a weird time paradox tickles my insanity senses, but these things always become minor side details in the games' main plotlines, so it's yet another case of "we sprinkled some cool gimmicks on top of D&D, but they are extremely secondary so it's the same conservative D&D fantasy you all love".

The closest book to batshit insane fantasy I have read is Artemis Fowl. Maybe their technical quality isn't very high, but fuck, the setting is so crazy it works.

I wasn't recommending Eragon, just mentioning it as an example of dragons in popular culture before Skyrim.
Eragon is shit, I agree.

Just like us in so many ways.

Read malazan book of the fallen

I'd recorded Clark Ashton Smith's work and his Hyperborean cycle, similar to Tolkien, but more of a prehistoric and Lovecraftian theme.

Also if you want a more Russo-centric fantasy id recommend Vsevolod Ivanov. Though i dont know much about him so you'd have to only go of this link.

weirdrussia.com/2014/06/08/fantastic-art-of-vsevolod-ivanov/

I think you're looking in the wrong genre

i want to fuck a dolphin tho

They probably want to fuck you too.

There are a few truly great fantasy games. I'd say tolkien is its own genre, part of fantasy. Tolkien is a cancer to fantasy so its best to separate them. Just need to keep an eye out for them, research for them too.

In games but especially in movies it's probably because they can pretty much skip a huge chunk of exposition by using these tropes.
If a lanky jew with pointy ears shows up you know it's an Elf. No explanation required.
Same when a smelly halfstack with a beard walks in.
Somebody else already did that part of Worldbuilding a few decades earlier and the writer can go right into exposition regarding the setting itself.

I'm not saying i approve of this lazyness but i see why it's used. In movies which have a limited time for exposition moreso than Videogames.

sweet

You'd hate hominids too if you had to deal with abbos for tens of thousands of years.

Maybe check warhammer fantasy. It's a dead setting, but there is all kinds of interdimensional fuckery going on underneath the veneer of a generic fantasy world

Reality has much more creative spiders than fantasy games.

Morrowind.

Yeah they do. They are gelatinous and have tentacles, that's close enough for me. That's pretty much how I know I have real phobia and not just mild aversion - I mean, I don't like spiders and try not to touch them, but I have no problem seeing them in vidya and even fapped to Rachnera. But jellyfish is too much for me - when I was playing San Andreas and there was a mission that required you to have trained diving, I prepared for it by diving in some puddle in the park.

Thing is, the sea I actually visited (as a kid) doesn't even have poisonous jellyfish. The ones it had weren't even stinging that much, apparently (I never tried, of course). It only had aurelia aurita and another one, but I don't know what it's called in English and I don't wanna google it because there will be pictures and it looks really fucking disgusting, and I can't even bear looking at photo of moon jellyfish, let alone this monstrosity. But the beaches were fucking plastered with them.

The most original setting for an RPG in general that i can recall is still Fallout (1997)
Even modern/future settings are fucked.

Spiders that do that with schemes/plans. LG spider goddess

Not really. A lot of the names "Tel, "-abi," "-mmu," are influenced by Mesopotamian languages, but that's really the extent of it. Morrowind is definitely a unique fantasy setting, though, which I do appreciate. The only real touchstone is the Imperial presence on Vvardenfell.

*planes, not plans

Check out panzer dragoon saga. Mix of post apocalypse 10,000 years after the fact, bone marrow powered air ships and vast empires and biological weapons. Combine that with massive AI networks and a unique low tech prehistoric aesthetic in both music and visual design and I'd wager you have one of the most unique fantasy settings.

What fantasy settings in video games you guys consider good?

One of my favorites is Ivalice. Even for japanese standards it does a good job at having well defined geo-political conflicts with multiple races that are very different from each other and aren't just tolkien style elves and dwarves.

Does New Vegas count?

Realistically they should all fear eachother. When there were multiple species of men walking around earth we didn't cooperate, we feared each other, and that fear got implanted into our brains. An orc should be a terrifying sight for a human, not just an ugly green man with underbite.

For some reason, I find Seiken Densetsu 3's world to be really appealing. It's something about the mix of various magical beings and styles of civilization to be quite fun. I kinda wish it was larger though.

There was a lot of fugging going on between humans and Neanderthals.

If 100 other games have the exact same idea than yes, it is generic user.

You mean raping. I honestly doubt that Early Man would have let the Neanderthals into their homes willingly, and vice versa. The raping and fear happened for some time I believe, until Cro-Magnon tribes had the idea of getting rid of that scourge of the Earth, so they traveled northwards and rid the world of them.

When will they learn?

What the fuck am I reading?

That's possible, but I think you're jumping to conclusions too quickly. Our knowledge of interactions between homo sapiens sapiens and homo (sapiens) neanderthalensis is spotty and incomplete. The fact that every human population except niggers has some Neanderthal DNA seems to imply that the fugging was very, very frequent in the Arabian peninsula shortly after we left Africa–enough that I'm not convinced it's entirely down to rape.

Maybe because it only lived in remote places during the middle ages you fucking retard. If you're going to put romans and shit like that together you might as well put in shit from different time periods or ones that didn't exist at all. Both are fantasy.

Retardation.

H sapiens niggers migrated north, h sap women wanted big white Neanderthal dick, and interbred. Because Neanderthals had very low fertility rate, the result was a mostly h sap species, modern man. Exception are sub-saharan africans who have no neanderthal genes.

Where did these names come from?

no, but he's Italian, which was Rome historically. I think it's disingenuous to call them one and the same considering Mario was made in the 80's.

Humans had a low fertility rate, too, though. It didn't rise beyond one or two until the development of farming. Or are you talking about infant mortality?

DAS RITE!

Read Jack Vance, Walter Moers, Lord Dunsany.

Will we ever get something like Phantasy star ever again? A mix of sci-fi and classic fantasy?

You know unicorns were probably goats.

I actually hate sci-fi/fantasy mashups. Unless you have taken exceptional care to explain why your world is that way, it always just struck me as the product of a juvenile attitude that simply wants to "throw all the cool shit together" at once.

At the very least these creatures deserve to be rememebered if nothing else. They did nothing wrong.
Pics related all died between a few hundred to less than 2500 year ago meaning that all of these existed at least up until the ancient Greco Roman times or middle ages.

Best part of Morrowind and worst part of Oblivion, hands down. At least Skyrim tried to bring the Roman feel back.

Which is fucking stupid because the average citizen would probably like modern technology that would help them eat far more than needing a magic man to make fireballs.
Why not Fantasy Roman times? Or Fantasy Africa if we are going to be taking off of the past?

I have never understood that meme.

Probably too much work for a dumb shit dev.

First of all don't post that WE WUZ KANGZ shit, and second of all you're retarded. If we're going to go "fantasy" (implying) then you might as well go with historical fantasies like Hyperborea or Atlantis. There's so much shit that we're standing on that it's insane. There are "caves" and "tombs" so deep and intricate with such small and sophisticated dwellings that it's impossible that any kind of human could have made or lived in it, massive stones the size of buildings being used as building blocks, entire cities covered by the ocean, massive lines that no trees grow on in Siberia (and the ocean's floor) that go on for seemingly forever. Entire cities were carved out of rock, massive walls made out of stone that goes on and on and on. I'm willing to be that there is an ancient and much more advanced civilization living under our feet deep underground right now.

Google the black Israelites

This shit is cool and has so many under rated extinct animals in it.

We caught a live one.

Top wew, I didn't know that was a thing. I think I'll save myself the trouble of looking into it, since I wasn't feeling suicidal today.

I wonder if you could ride that thing. it would be like a real life chocobo.

'''
STOP
'''

It's not a hard concept.

And yet when I ask you for proof, you will give me a wild song and dance about epistemology.

No, but I will give you sources of very old and very ancient mega-structures.

quora.com/What-is-the-Kabardino-Balkaria-megalith

W E W
E
W

Nigger, the people who LIVED during the middle ages would fucking disagree with you. If you knew anything about the middle ages the general consensus was
Ever played a fantasy or Sci fi game with a dead "Race" of people with far advanced technology? That idea came from the way people viewed the Greeks and Romans and their superior Architecture, City planning, Technology and life style.
There were so many influential people trying to bring the great Roman empire back. Any time a powerful man did something important they would reference the great holy Roman Empire and compare themselves to it. The Roman and Greeks were the perfect Ideal civilization to the people of the middle ages. In fact the Renaissance was about going back to those times.
For fuck sake people were LIVING in the great Roman ruins for hundreds of years after society collapsed at the begging of the middle ages. It was basically Fallout but instead of Super mutants you would have Roving banks of Barbarians come and kill your entire family.

>Roving banks of Barbarians come and kill your entire family.
Amusingly, this is also accurate even with the typo.

are you telling me that giant ass kangaroo elephant actually existed?

How is the megabat called?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

did these guys ever partner up or get close to some neo nazis at any point? would be interesting to see such a bizarre symbiosis.

i kno that feel 2 bh fam hav u hurd of dis 1 it rly blu my mind
timecube.2enp.com/

Dolphins are fucking rad. They are the only other animal on earth that could be a comparable to a human in intelligence.
I think they are the only non endangered animal where it should never be ok to kill unless it is trying to kill you.

Dolphin also want to fuck humans so lucky you.

I thought elephants were about as smart as dolphins.

Here's a game idea: Time Travelling hippies went back in time and saved a bunch of giant monstrous animals from going extinct, fucking the time line. You have to go back and kill them yourself to save the timeline.

Dolphins confirmed to be chads.

How so? Is there a genre specifically for fantasy, but crazier?

Yeah, but when you have released more than 8 >300 pages books set in your magical realm, "quick exposition" doesn't really seem one of your priorities. I can understand why movies have to go generic, but series with their own worldbuilding that span thousands of pages of your autistic shit? Nah, the author is just a lazy or unimaginative fuck.

Magitech is probably the logical conclusion of fantasy worlds where magic doesn't solve all of the problems humanity has. People just assume the typical "eternal medieval world" when designing a fantasy setting, but it usually has no explanation whatsoever and just comes off as the author being lazy or just preferring to write something medieval because it looks cooler.

That said, fantasy sci-fi usually ends up being an absurd mishmash of elves in spaceships that ends up having no real taste of its own. It's really hard to get it right, and I would argue the only way to make it work is keeping one of them as "primary" and the other one as "secondary" (ex. low fantasy high sci-fi, with, for example, some machines and devices being powered by mystery mystical energies; or high fantasy low sci-fi, with out of place artifacts in an otherwise fantastical setting, often understood as magical items by the inhabitants of said world).

You should realize that most users on here have more of an open and discriminating mind that not only allows for the filtering of bullshit but also allows for the entertainment of the plausible. Those who don't normally reside on Holla Forums or come from reddit. The only message I get from you is that you're one of those retards who think birds are dinosaurs because it is the "hip new idea that is in the sweet zone between not well known and generally accepted", even though the idea is completely retarded to any person with a rational mind

I think magic in general is overused in fantasy. I'd like to see more fantastical pseudo-medieval or pseudo-ancient settings that either completely forgo magic, or treat it as a unique, exceptional, profoundly disturbing miracle with earth-shattering implications.

try cutting your steak with a railroad spike and tell me how that goes
holy fuck your spelling is atrocious and you don't even know what time periods you're talking about
what the fuck is a mesiosaur? you mean a mosasaur?
I'll admit its perfectly plausible that theropods had the more "ugly" appearances of birds like vultures, nothing wrong with that
but basing them off of modern birds of prey is perfectly acceptable as well since they're a good analogue
that entire blog feels like its trying REALLY hard to be another "All Yesterdays" but taking shit up to a fucking 11

The thing is, it's not even Middle Ages. It's always D&D and Tolkien ripoffs.

I like Wakfu and Drakengard/Nier because of all the crazy shit they put into it.

Wakfu has a nice art style and while it has Elves and Orcs they are just one tiny part of the rest of the universe.

Same with Drakengard.

I will try to remember more but that is all that comes up in my head.

I would much rather have a creator that existed but just had to be placed in a new spot than have a generic as shit dragon.
There is nothing wrong with creating your own creators but most fantasy doesn't. They "borrow" creators from other works. If you aren't going to bother making something up use something that is cool and actually existed.

That looks great. Why the hell is fantasy star now generic animu art style trash?

Fuck, I fucked up writing Cenozoic instead of Mesozoic. My mistake.

When about hunting other animals, agility, or the ability to evade, and cancell the prey maneuvers, is very important. Adult T-Rex werent very agile, while even big herbivorous prey were agile enought.

antediluviansalad.blogspot.com.es/2016/09/night-stalker-rex-part-i-sue-is-built.html

This is bullshit but it would make a good setting for a vidya.

Bastion, Sunless Sea, and Recettear are some that stand out when I browse my Steam library, but I'd say Sunless Sea is the only one that really has a fleshed out world.

Yes user, and not that long ago either.

The giant vampire bat. Yes it drank blood.

only 20mph? I mean I cant run that fast but i imagine a lot of humans could run faster than that And we dont die when we fall over.

They can't. Running a 4-minute mile (which is 15 mph) seems to be right around the human limit.

Are you saying they aren't?
Are you serious nigger?
Birds ARE dinosaurs. We have fucking fossil evidence from Dinos to birds to prove it. Not only that but Dinos and Birds
Are you the same user a few months ago that said black holes were a conspiracy made by jews and that the universe isn't expanding?

Absolute peak physical condition along with certain genes can get a human that runs 28 mph. An average human can run top speed of 15 miles, and that's only for short periods of time.

Learn to google m8

this tbh

Forgot pics.

Narwhals are redditor memespouter-tier, kill yourself.

If modern mammals were transported to the time of dinos they would probably do pretty well. They wouldn't be as big or powerful but they would be far faster and better at reproducing.

I had it right; fuck you.

What fucking purpose does a little shit like that even serve? Why does it exist? Just to torture living things?
I don't fucking understand.

Would be pretty interesting to figure out how it creates that venom then. But still fuck those creatures.

Wakfu has "elves", but really, 90% of the races in the World of Twelve are "elves". Cras may be the most elvish of them all, but in the end, all of them are knife-eared effeminate faggots.

I guess the easiest way not to make elves "humans, but better in every way" is by making everyone an elf Rogues, Masqueraiders, Steamers and Huppermages are canonically humans, yet they still seem to have pointy ears or not on an arbitrary basis. It worked.

Are you retarded.

Is "max speed" really useful when it can only be sustained for a few feet? A mile isn't that far, fam; no human is going to chase prey or flee predators for any distance under a mile.

Given that the discussion was specifically about animals with one horn, it was an appropriate response. No need to be a tryhard.

true enough I suppose, though Tyrannosaurs absolutely weren't any sort of clumsy as adults
and you're correct about Tyrannosaurs being ambush predators, but really that would apply at both day AND night
also the focus on Sue probably isn't the best idea to base on average adult tyrannosaurs
Sue is a behemoth even by T. rex standards, and its very possible that she was at the upper limits for Tyrannosaur age in the first place
I'm not against the idea in of itself, but that blog author REALLY tries to push everything he comes up with as the next revolutionary step, is it worth a look? sure, but take it all with a grain of salt, none of that is certain, nor is it required to be

holy fuck you're actually retarded aren't you?
birds being theropods is all but indisputable at this point
this is well documented stuff, theres an avalanche of evidence if you'd like it

user asked if humans can run faster than 20 miles an hour. He did not ask about realistic distance running, only whether or not it was possible to be faster. I gave him the actual answer, with an addendum that in a realistic scenario, it wouldn't work out. You, on the other hand, gave the answer to a different question, which would just be misinformation to him

Step up your fucking game.

I like his Zothique stuff more.

I prefer the hypothesis that therepods are actually birds rather than the other way around. The raptor dinos in particularly appear to be secondarily flightless. They're not dinosaurs turning into birds, they're birds turning into (back into?) dinosaurs.

You're right.

Fucking what? Therapods can't have come from birds as they didn't exist when the first dinosaurs did.

that doesn't make any sense
that is an INCREDIBLY fringe theory at this point, but even if it were 100% true my point would still be correct
even if the entirety of paraves could count as "true birds" that still resides within theropoda
also the arm muscles from Maniraptors never got powerful enough for true powered flight, even for the smaller species, so the theory in of itself doesn't really stack up that well

yeah, Sue is not to be the "poster child" of all rexes.

Here, meet Jane (BMRP 2002.4.1)

The missing link between Baby Rex and Adult rex. We'd been finding baby rexes all over the place, but they were so different from the rexes, we were calling them Nanotyrannus. Jane showed that during maturation, they got LONG ass legs before filling out their body with the intense muscle Rex was known for.

I'm talking about "birds" in a very loose sense. Tiny basal archosaurs. Proto-bird would probably be a better term.

Ah, Confuciusornis among many others.

You should kill yourself if you're that dumb.

I thought they're all the same race only 'evolve' once they reach a certain age and class.

Maybe because the Fauna was killing us in the middle of our cities?

retrieverman.net/2010/10/27/the-wolves-of-paris/

>long legs = "I'm an adult, I'm mature, and I need you to fertalize my eggs

In comparison to Sue and Jane, here is Samson, the one boasted for having the most complete skull.

I'm well acquainted with Jane thank you
its nice that tyrannosaur ontogeny is as well documented as it is at the point

oh god please don't tell me you're getting into B.A.N.D territory buddy

also apparently some recent studies on smaller paraves show that they could have powered lift-off and flapping flight, so thought I'd correct myself there
so secondary flightlessness may be possible in deinonychosaurids, though thats still not exactly concrete proof of including them into aves itself
and being a sister clade does mean that they are insanely similar to begin with

What got you so upset?
Dolphin fiddle you?

You're too stupid to know what human-level intelligence is and you're too autistic to be able to parse emotion. So yes, kill yourself.

Maybe even further back than that too. Pterosaurs are pretty damn bird like but are certainly not dinosaurs.

In the Soviet Union, when wolves would prey on rural farmers' livestock, the government would retaliate by hunting them with attack helicopters.

what? I'd hardly call pterosaurs bird-like
I do think that their pycnofibres are certainly homologous to the protofeathers dinosaurs were sporting, but thats about it
again, I'm really starting to get some david peters vibes from you dude
I swear if you mention longisquama you'll completely discredit yourself

Nice try.

Yeah, that's the idea. Said race is said to be humans, but well, they don't really look like humans. That said, Rogues, Masqueraiders and Steamers are still the same base race because they worship false gods. I think Huppermages simply don't worship anyone, so that's why they are still "vanilla".

Eniripsas a best

Well, the oldest "bird link' we know of is archeopteryx and that was in the mid jurassic, giving a SHITLOAD of time for other proto birds to join in on the race, though the membrane flyers of Pterosaurs were winning the race as feather fliers had to stay mostly small.

at first

I think Sadidas are a separate race, at least the show makes it seem that way.

How the fuck do fossilized bones tell you any of that?

We've found fossilized nests with eggs in them m8, and as for warm blooded it is inferred using paleoclimate and the range in which they lived as well as looking at common modern relatives.

warm bloodedness can be determined by morphology, taxonomy and proposed lifestyles and habitats
feathers have been found fossilized on MANY dinosaurs, china in particular is a gold mine for them, but more exist
and nests and mass mortality sites have been found to show nesting, and family oriented groups/packs

Well, yes and no. People can be born a certain class, but you can choose to worship another god and physically change into that one, but only if you do it before puberty. After that, you may change your worship, but you will be stuck with your body.

The exact mechanics of the world are kinda unclear because Ankama basically made sure the Krosmoz was an easily retconneable framework, but basically, you may enter the world through Incarnam (in which case, you enter with a set class defined by the way you navigated the Krosmoz up to Incarnam), be born as a "spiritual child" (which means you are born with a class, not sure exactly how it happens since it was kinda ill explained) or as a human.

Fantasy is pretty broad and you can see that in countless concept arts. Its just most writers imaginations are limited.

If you look at Final Fantasy, it's a fantasy series that doesn't always follow the generic formula, at least ones expected of fantasy genre in general. Lots of modern elements and technology for example.

The point of fantasy is to transport you to another place, another time. Most professional writers, (if videogame writers can even be called that that), don't really understand this - they can't break out of their own bubble, and besides, all the fantasy they've ever deigned to read themselves is probably something derived from another derivative work. So their whole idea of fantasy is a childish fairytale aesthetic carelessly slapped over a generic story. No one important stops to ask if there's any point, if the end product has any value.

And it fucking doesn't. And the actual developers trust their worthless writers and designers completely because the english language is still treated like unapproachable black magic by otherwise very skilled technical people. Add a big animation/grafix budget and you get games with a "breathtaking fantasy artstyle" that fail to impress or immerse anyone at all, like castlevania LOS or lords of the fallen or shadows of mordor, dragon age, korean mmos…

Bones wouldn't, but feathers have been fossilized - to the point where there's a small handful of species whose individual pigment cells were fossilized well enough for us to know what colour they were. It's ridiculous!

Warmbloodedness can be found by looking inside the bone, into the fossilized marrow where said blood forms, but it's also a deduction of how an animal would've had to function to live the way they appear to be designed to.

Behavior is usually deduced from scattered fossil evidence (e.g. literally finding mothers who died while brooding their eggs) or from putting pieces together between those ultra-rare fossilized clues, their anatomy, and their current-day counterparts.

I'm pretty sure all of the people in Wakfu are the same race (except for the Eliatropes, who are aliens), and their appearance is based on which god they worship.
That means you can snu-snu the catgirls and still have babies

I was going to make a post listing good games not made on a medieval setting, but I cant. There are some final fantasy and other jrpgs, but that's it. I blame the burgers for making muh medieval knights and castles and shit the standar for fantasy

Blame Tolkien. Tolkien is to fantasy as WoW is to MMOs: it ruined the genre forever; it wasn't really the fault of Tolkien/WoW, it just succeeded so well that the default in the genre became "do this thing again but change a couple little things."

All works of art especially in writing are usually a derivation of something else. Tolkien derived his stuff from myths and tales to create a consistent universe different from our own. Nothing ever is completely new and uninfluenced by something else.

Yes, but fantasy is unique in how closely the majority of it is explicitly derivative of one work.
Italics.

Fantasy is pretty stale right now. Even dungeons and dragons moved past the generic elves and orcs tropes with the diverse amount of monsters and the other settings like planescape.

What said. There is a difference between grabbing 100 different sources and mixing them, and grabbing at best two books and basing your shit off that. Tolkien did the former, most fantasy does the latter.

pick one

Also, I must add that it's not true fantasy is unique in this regard. Sci-fi is another genre that requires extreme amounts of worldbuilding and yet all we get is generic soap opera with political elements. There is also cyberpunk, but just like fantasy's Tolkienism, it suffers a bit from Gibsonism (but thankfully, the plotlines of all books aren't always the same "you are a hero now, go save the world" that plagues fantasy).

I think a thing to keep in mind is that the average player only allows for so much suspension of disbelief. You more or less have to maintain a more or less obvious construction to the real world, or otherwise the game produces no proper immersion or the player plainly gets confused.

That being said, it is quite disappointing that stuff like mammalian megafauna gets far too little screentime. Or, even better than that, creatures that simply reflect the local eco-system.

When you have dragons and magic you can pretty much get away with anything and it will be more realistic.

Oh good is it time for this otherwise good thread to be crashed by crossboard shitflinging?

What's really interesting is to note that if it weren't for the Muslims taking over European land it is unlikely that modern medicine and scientific ideas would have crossed from the middle east to Europe peacefully.

Go study history before spouting garbage like that mate.

Ahhh, Snaiad, a wonderfull alien planet, from the mind of the turkroach "Nemo Ramjet", were an entire carnivora clade of vertebrates predators put their survival in the skill of "How many times I hump to death my prey, until disembowelment/loss of blood"

canopy.uc.edu/bbcswebdav/users/gibsonic/Snaiad/snduterus.html

Yes and no. Dragons (and their behavior) have been part of the established western mythology for so long know that we more or less as granted - they're not really alien to us anymore. Same thing goes for classical "I cast magic missile!" magic.

There's that word again.
There was never a Dark Age, but instead Early, High and Late Middle Ages, each one rich on its own political, cultural and economical movements and changes, be it seen from a traditional Positivist/Marxist Historiography or a more modern and micro-historical take through Annales School.
The concept of Dark Age was invented during the Renaissance movements as a way to justify how good their new ideas were compared to Middle Age philosophers, kinda how liberals nowadays love to shit on the 19th and early 20th century was being a time of regressiveness when every white person was a slave-owner that ate black children for dinner and sold opium to his newly migrated Chinese neighbor.

The fuck is this shit

But it's true. Places that were taken over by Islamic invaders had access to translated greek philosophy and medicine that might have otherwise been lost. Even more important it helped spread modern advances. Once the land was taken back many of the citizens of the conquered places still kept that knowledge. This would help lead to the scientific revolution in Europe.

Translated to what? You think Europeans knew arabic?

That is a penis with legs, and nothing can convince me otherwise.

To be fair, after the classical Greek philosophers, all new philosophy was shit until the 17th century.

I just downloaded the game and like it a lot (along with The Hunter Call of the Wild), what's wrong with it?
There's little amount of games based around hunting things, so i tried it, and so far the beginning was alright.

Most people at the time didn't knew how to read, and those of knew dedicated their whole life to scholar pursuits, learning Greek and Latin. That's why, not until access to education for the lower classes and the printing press, that was more common to learn the original language instead of translating books.

I haven't played it, but I watched some dev diary where they talk about the constructed language in the game. For some reason they decided to use Proto-Indo-European as a base for the language, despite the fact that the Proto-Indo-Europeans were the most advanced civilization of their time, and certainly not fucking cave dwellers.
Someone involved in that decision was a retard who needs to brush up on history and anthropology.

The reason it is called the dark ages is because
It was the basically a post apocalyptic civilization in comparison to the great Roman empire.

wat
What about all the Roman philosophers? What about all the Catholic Clergy that had access to the best work of antiquity and did nothing all day except copying said works and building new philosophical theories from it?

Many things in greek got mass produced into Arabic which was then retranslated again in the west thanks to the mass production of Arabic writing on the subject.

Those aren't dinosaurs dumb dumb. All the animals posted in this thread are less than a few hundred to a few thousand years old.

Greek philosophy was far superior to Christian philosophy. Call me a Fedora tipper but trying to understand the meaning of math and how it relates to the world was far more productive than the theology of the middle ages.

But it's true user. They had superior medical and scientific knowledge at the time and had good records of greek knowledge.

All shit. Things got going again with Descartes, Hobbes, and Locke. I guess I can grant you Aquinas, but as brilliant as he was, he was hampered by the time he lived in–his philosophy itself is less impressive than the fact that medieval philosophy could produce a thinker like him at all.

They had optics and algebra, but little else, and even that was only because they raided Greece.

What's worse is his ascertain that anyone who believes in the scientific fact that birds evolved from Dinos are wrong.

You forgot medicine as well. Also their knowledge of Optics was the foundation of modern scientific thought since it was heavily based on experimentation.
Also don't pretend that Algebra isn't fucking huge.

Something similar has always bothered me about zombie games.
Fucking why? Those animals in a zombie state would be terrifying.
Yes I'm aware of RE Outbreak 2 but the structure of the first was so fucking shit that I just ignored it. No idea how good or how bad the zombie animals are in that.

When we're at it, when will we get another fantasy setting based on Gothic Horror? Bloodborne was cool and all, but I was thinking more in terms of actual RPG.

I just want something that scratches my Poe itch.

I made a setting based on that idea once, but I have no way of turning it into a game as for now

It is huge.
I am not familiar with these memes ideas.

There will never be a game how the cambrian extinction event wasn't extinction but a time shift of almost all the biosphere and suddenly the modern world is inundated by pre-dinosaur beasties.

So THATS what those turtle fuck shell things were in Ice Age.

They used experimentation and observation in order to make gains in those two fields which are the first known cases of anything resembling science during the middle ages.

There is nothing wrong with mixing your zoics until its xeno.

Did you try the Ravenloft games, Clive Barkers Undying or Wrath of Malachi?

>tfw no game about hunting down semi-intelligent extinct megafauna released by a mad scientists actually time-traveling ayylmaos, who did it as JUST A PRANK BRO as a terror weapon after an apocalyptic event

How fucking cool would it be to have a game that played like a cross between a Cabelas hunting game and Evolve if Evolve didn't suck a million bags of dicks? No drones, no thermal goggles, electricity is precious and fragile - you survive with your wits and big goddamn guns as a professional monster hunter.

I hate fucking video games.

Experimentation and observation were hardly new ideas. But yes, they weren't formalized or emphasized as much as they should have been in medieval Europe.

Isn't that the plot of Horizon: Zero Dawn?

Here's a better question, how come there are only one or two games (only one that comes to mind is Asura's wrath) based off Indian mythology? The Mahabharata has enough content to make countless games if you just ripped it off wholesale, let alone changing or adding things in. I want to play as Arjuna mowing people down with endless arrows in his chariot with krishna, or play as an ascetic and fly around shooting fucking lightning and chakra blasts at rakshasas. Indian myth is perfect for a cuhrazy type game but no one uses it.

You speak like it was a bad or good thing. Life simply became more rural, that's all.
What? if anything else it was far more rigid than Roman times. Not only the center of power was closer to the commoner thanks to the fragmentation of power (instead of a centralized system on a capital thousand of kilometers away), but you also had the whole theological moral system enforced by the Church.
Yes. And the same is applied to the Ancient word, or do you think a shoes maker read Plato? Access to knowledgeable was always a privilege of rich people or scholars.
Again you show your ignorance. Medieval engineering, especially architecture, made enormous strides during the Middle Ages. Just look at Gothic architecture. Yes, concrete was lost.
You're talking you of your ass. Pic related.
What the fuck you're talking about?
No. If you think that they had modern medicine during the Roman Empire you are fucking wrong. Not only the knowledgeable was preserved thanks to the Church but it was also build upon.
Yes. Without the trade routes and materials from roman times art became shit.

Street shitters need to learn that there are other vowels besides "a."

No, but now I really have to.

I am certain it comes from the devs ignorance. They don't know shit outside of generic fantasy just like they don't know about any extinct animals outside of dinos.

You dumb motherfucking faggot we wouldn't have such an interest in fantasy today if it weren't for Tolkien

No nigger, faggots ripping off Tolkien are cancer to fantasy. Do not blame a good author for the fact that retards cannot see world besides him.

Sanskrit names are fucked, shit like dhritarashta, vichitravirya and yudishithira,

That's because most devs are cucked nowadays and will bend the knee to streetshitters if they use their deities (most of which are widely still worshipped today) in a game because it "offends" them.
See: Smite when they introduced Rama

Is it? I thought it was like Skyrim with robots or some shit like that.

Far more people were literate during the Roman times than during the middle ages. The average person was less educated.
On a technical level gothic architecture is less impressive even if it looks nice.
Proves my point. The santa Sofia was created 1000 years after.
Mdecine in the Roman times wasn't modern but it was better.
So here are the facts
it was a Dark Age.

But not knowing some dinos I could forgive, but AFAIK everyone in India is familiar with the Mahbharata and Ramayana, they even have TV series for them and perform them as plays regularly. How could you miss the culture of 1 billion people?

I guess that makes sense, but couldn't they just ask the dumb street shitters how to make the character as to not hurt their feefees? I mean the KI team talked to Native Americans about that one character just so they could say how cultural and inoffensive it was.

I think you're mostly right, but I take exception to this:
I think medieval art was (mostly) shit because of a cultural abandonment of humanism. When it returned in the Renaissance, the art became better again.

He's right, though. I love Tolkien's work, but hack authors and designers have been replicating it ad nauseam for decades. It's not Tolkien's fault, and it doesn't reflect poorly on his books, but the basic fact is true: it's inescapable in fantasy, to the genre's detriment. If he was unironically calling Tolkien's work itself cancer, though, he can kill himself for all I care.

It's strange when you consider that Hindi is an Indo-European language.

Well, I might have been reaching. I don't think there's time-traveling or ayys, but it is post-apocalyptic cavemen hunting giant robot animals. I think, I haven't played it because it looks kind of cancerous.

They did, See also Smite when they had to retexture Kali because she was dressed too lewdly despite being depicted as fighting naked

The problem with middle ages is that people make it far worse than it actually was. By which I mean, they make it seem as if there was no development during the middle ages, which is simply untrue.

That doesn't change the facts that it was a big step down from the anciet ages.

This is true.
This is why I called him a dumb motherfucking faggot.

Now that just makes no fucking sense, why would they get mad if the depiction is faithful?

Joke: Medieval Europe lived in a dark age.
Woke: We are still living in the dark age.
I'm sorry if I meme'd wrong.

Well if you gonna pull facts out of your ass I suggest you tell what you ate and then I will shut up. I made my claims on research made mostly by Le Goff, but there's also influence by other Annales School authors.

Because people think sex is something extraordinary they either thing of it as evil or the most important thing on earth , and get offended by simple mentions of it.

I wish for an age where sex stops being controversial. The fact that people get asshurt over seeing a nipple is fucking pathethic.

One would argue that being dress provocatively is more sexually inducing than being completely nude, but that boils down to opinion.

Streetshitters gonna shit.

Here's another setting, why not the Tain bo Culainge? Play as Cuchulainn and tear motherfuckers up, and activate your warp spasm as some sort of rage mode? and surely the Irish wouldn't give a fuck about muh appropriation or anything like that.

Fucking street shitters/ puritans.

You'd think we'd already past it in a time where everybody's boning everybody. Except me.

kys

It's not hard to look up the dates of buildings user.
bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/romans/fallofrome_article_01.shtml
You already know they lost concrete.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Haytham
Used experimentation for his research in optics and spread the practices around the middle east effectively making it the first real precurser to modern science.
As far as Algebra goes it's called Arabic numerals for a reason. They along with Indians (From India) help create Algebra and the way we write math.

No, user, you are the retards.

Just don't reply nigga it's obvious he's shitposting.

I didn't have cavemen in mind, more like the mid-19th century but without old west, victorian or "le steampunk" aesthetics. Somewhere between Amish and Mad Max; everyone has a handgun but cargo ships have sails again.

The inevitable revolution will renew society.

Even now there is hope for man.

I still want to keep my animu porn you niggers

You can do as you please. That's the whole point.

Truly, nice things are not allowed to happen.

Why even live?

bumplocking this thread since OP went off topic

Why not just delete the off topic, because clearly other anons were having some nice conversation.

Epic. Just epic.

Are you new at this or just stupid?

That was Mark, so…

So the latter.

That would be a great time to set fantasy. You could choose between gun and sword.
Wait, isn't that pretty much Fable?

Dinosaurs were cold blooded you fucking mong

Who told you that Rubbish? We have known them to be warm blooded for years. It's why they don't have to spend hours sun bathing.

There's been a lot of evidence indicating that they were actually warm-blooded.

thats been proven wrong since like, the 1990s
fucking Steven Spielberg was figuring that shit out

Hell, I recall hearing recently something about a partial dinosaur tail being found in some amber, complete with feathers on it too.

The SMT series loves using Hindu gods as punching bags. Not sure why they aren't complaining about their Shiva looking like a gay parade entertainer. At least their ultimate god is a cool concept.

EXACT same? NO really.
And since when is generic the same as bad. Those words do not mean the same.

I happen to like "generic" medieval fantasy. Sure, you can make a fantasy game taking place in Africa. Go ahead, no one is stopping you.
But I won't be interested in it.

I actually really love jellyfish and think they look cool, so much so that I have a 3D poster of moon jellyfish on my bedroom wall. What's even funnier is that I actually got stung by a dead one. It had probably been dead for quite a while since it looked like a brown blob on the beach but it still stung. Luckily the pain wasn't too bad, a bit like nettles.

You might want to try out Sunless Sea. You captain a ship on an underground sea underneath London filled with all sorts of horrors and monsters, but you can't live on the surface because you'll die if you spend too much time up there. You make a living going from island to island checking up on them to see how they're doing, and then sellling that information to the main town.

This has been the most educational thread I think I ever read on 8/v/. Glad I saw it before it died.