Finally...

Finally, the tech behind Borderlands' art style is no longer rendering the game twice at once with a slightly larger scaled inverse map.

Such a shame it'll still be complete shit. Bitchford literally used GDC to advertise because he can't afford marketing. Is there any way this kind of tech could be aqquired or at least copied? There's so many better people that could use it to make cool looking comic-style games.

Other urls found in this thread:

advances.realtimerendering.com/
web.archive.org/web/20160316035720/http://www.research.scea.com/research/research.html
jp.square-enix.com/tech/publications.html
frostbite.com/topics/publications/
crytek.com/cryengine/presentations/
guerrilla-games.com/read
valvesoftware.com/company/publications.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT BORDERLANDS 3:
- Being worked on
- Uses UE4
END OF LIST

GDC in a nutshell, if you buy into the shill shit. Practically, how else are they supposed to talk about something recent or upcoming that they designed?

It's part of the UE4 toolkit, so obviously yes.

- will be shit

Borderlands is garbage, user. Just because Birch isn't writing for it anymore doesn't change that the gameplay is fundamentally broken, repetitive, mind numbing schlock.

No you forgot
Yes it will be complete shit faggot

The hatching shit is pretty clunky but it could work in a game with better art direction. Everything else is standard UE4 or triple-A stuff these days and Gearbox showing it off is just a sign of how fucking desperate these faggots are.

Showing off elementary stuff is about half of GDC talks. CCP has one on designing by enforcing expectations and minimizing special cases (actually pretty cool), 343 has one on designing abilities for competitive play, Volition has one about creating a voice acting pipeline, Meier has one about the gap between player responses and expectations, etc. Be glad this wasn't a fluffy one like "Health: Made of Meat" or "Designing Games As Accessible Experiences".

I think the pre-memequel wouldn't have bombed if it weren't 60 goddamn dollars. I have no idea what justified a price jump from 20 to 60 but no one but gearbox saw it.

Oh god please tell me you're joking.
Copy what? A retarded technique people have bested in the 90s and servers no purpose other than to bog down performance?

3D modeller here. I can't confirm or deny whatever technique Borderlands uses but I can tell you that it's true the easiest way to get a cartoon outline on a model without using shaders is to duplicate the mesh, then increase the scale slightly (for example, in 3DS Max I would use the "Push" modifier, ordinary scaling that you might think of actually wouldn't work right), then invert the normals of the larger mesh and texture it solid black. Done and done.

If Borderlands is in fact doing this, then the polygon count of everything in the game would be doubled to draw the effect.

>we made it! we didnt stole it from a short animation
Jesus

It sucks because even with the SJW poz infecting everything else, GDC's tech panels can be really interesting.
Since most of this thread is going to be shitting on Memelands, should I dump some related links for anyone interested in good vidya-related presentations and R&D papers?

Sure why not.

hnngh

post moar

It's mentioned right at the start of the video: a standard Sobel-Feldman filter. Which is extremely inexpensive, and certainly doesn't involve doubling polycount.

Sure, whatever. I'd like to expect some productive discussion about how the techniques shown are really improving asset production and visual fidelity, but I guess everyone here wants to chase the meme herring.

Ah yeah you are right.

Do it faget.

Can't be Burchlands 3 anymore, Gearbox fired Anthony.

Maybe they will actually fucking do something with the aliens this time.

Okay

Here's some stuff from my bookmarks. I'd suggest looking through the first link and checking out stuff from the others depending on what you find interesting.
advances.realtimerendering.com/ - fuckton of SIGGRAPH presentations, covers a lot of neat shit from AAA games and big engine devs

web.archive.org/web/20160316035720/http://www.research.scea.com/research/research.html - Old Sony presentations from late PS1-early PS3

jp.square-enix.com/tech/publications.html - Squeenix trying to polish the Final Fantasy XV turd

frostbite.com/topics/publications/ - Anything using the Frostbite engine gets papers on here. Will make you weep on such great tech being wasted on shit vidya

crytek.com/cryengine/presentations/ - Crytek stuff, page is fucked up right now but you can still find the presentations somewhere in there

guerrilla-games.com/read - Check the publications tab: more neat tech completely wasted on bad games

valvesoftware.com/company/publications.html A mix of Vulkan/VR stuff and various stuff about their design choices and aging Quake fork

There are people on this board who think Borderlands 1 was good or fun. It wasn't. Borderlands was never good.

Borderlands is like the lame version of Bethesda's Fallout.

And here's something interesting on R6: Siege since a lot of people here play it.

I agree BL1 was like the simpleton's bethesda's fallout 3 (not van buren/NV 3). Do missions in the desert and shoot or sneak to kill. You can't go in buildings and nobody has a face.

Do it.

It's mostly redditors and shills.

You think they learned from the absolute failures of their recent projects?
I doubt it
Will this be the death of gearbox?

There's no evidence that they might've learned from any of the mistakes they've made, so no

The Mad Max game is really good, save for the MMO missions and BanHam on-foot combat.

Nobody here will buy it. They might pirate it, but buying it is pointless.

You vastly overestimate our userbase