You can no longer pin enemies to the wall when you kill them with the crossbow in hl2

you can no longer pin enemies to the wall when you kill them with the crossbow in hl2.

why did valve let their biggest title go to shit with poorly tested updates? Don't they care about preserving the original intent of the work?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/stats/HL2/achievements
steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/220/hl2_pin_soldier_tobillboard.jpg
github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No. Where have you been?

You're probably just doing it wrong.

replaying all the hl games to figure out if they are any good. HL1 is a 7/10, op4 is an 8/10, hl2 is so far a 7/10 but man that's fucking disappointing.

Fucking what? How? Even tf2 still lets you pin people with the huntsman.

Play the Coast level where you first get the crossbow. There's a combine guy on a billboard and you can pin him 100% of the time because he's so close to the wall.

the combine are 1 foot in front of a wall before I shoot them in the head/upper body. worked all the time in hl2dm and the hl2 I played 10 years ago. IF anything I remember the game going above and beyond to get the combine pinned to surfaces, giving a generous magnetism quality to the pin just to show off how neat the physics are.

that's what I just did and he tumbled down with the board he was standing on. they even made the achievement reflect that. That was the first and most iconic pin kill I remember from when I played this game a decade ago.

You need to replay it clearly.

They need to be up against the wall.

?

Just play FEAR its a better game

steamcommunity.com/stats/HL2/achievements
steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/220/hl2_pin_soldier_tobillboard.jpg

my mistake, I saw it wrong when it popped up.

regardless, pinning enemies to the wall is much less likely to happen now. It's a shame.

also it's now impossible to play chicken with the razor train.

What do you not like about OP4? It was one of the best FPS games for me, except for putting those penguin grenades in multiplayer. I still play it to this day

Fuck Valve.

levels lacked a sense of placement in the game world and the game didn't have the best enemy design. The last boss is terribly boring. Overall it fixed problems with the original HL by cutting away shitty weapons and adding in good ones, but recycling some concepts made some levels less interesting to play.

It is better than the base game in the more important aspects but it definitely doesn't sit in memory for long.

hl1's best chapter was surface tension.
who cares
I think you mean slow, and apart from the cutscenes, I don't agree

I don't think you remember how bad some of hl1's weapons felt

yeah the game was solid at launch

I don't spend my time fantasizing about games that were never complete, I focus on what's there

Most of HL2 weapons felt bad and it didn't have much variety in it either. They really went all in on the physics meme and vehicle sections

Understatement, tbh.

The only gun that felt good in HL is the magnum (and maybe the tau cannon). The only guns that feel good in HL2 are the magnum and crossbow.

shotgun, pulse rifle, gravity gun, crowbar, revolver are all very satisfying to use. In HL1 everything is shit except for the magnum and shotgun.

crossbow would be more satisfying if they didn't totally nerf the pinning.

magnum and gauss gun*

I last played its single player long ago I had forgot about that boss, you're completely right

I don't remember thinking this for majority of the game. After you start teleporting around(and around this time you also get teleporter weapon IIRC) it does start feeling like this but that doesn't last long anyway. I was going to discuss the other things with you too but I noticed I really don't remember its single player well. Its multiplayer is still great if you ask me however

Half Life 2 has less weapons, and what they keep from the first game either wasn't good in the first place, or is made shitty due to ammo restrictions and the shitawful inaccurate crosshair. It doesn't even make good use of the ragdoll physics that Source has, because everyone just slumps over when shot, and never gets moved by gunfire.

I remember how HL2 blew me away when i played it back in the day. I recently got a free copy of TOB for the 360 so i decided to replay it, aside from the sewers it still holds up pretty well although i wish the dialogue was skippable. I'm pretty amazed whenever i see someone on Holla Forums who claims that they hadn't played iconic games like HL2 or FF7 until recently, do some of you niggers even play videogames? It's even more amusing when they "don't get why X title was so popular". Sorta off-topic so sage.

No, from the start there's a lack of a sense of place. In the base game you can get a clear feel for how structures are joined together and how the facility is laid out. It's surprisingly pretty reasonably done. The HL1 "reused" areas (I mean reused very lightly, at best you just pass thru them in a few seconds, and its a nice throw back) are the closest attempt at giving the place a sense of location, but there's a lot of inconsistencies like proximity of a tram cart to a presentation room, a tram cart that doesn't really go anywhere or seem to be part of a greater complex of transportation, it just feels under-realized all too often.

Plus the squad AI is fucking horrendous. Astoundingly bad compared to the AI you fight in HL1.

hl2 has more interesting weapons in the end. Nobody fucking wants more hive hands or gluon guns. The shotgun is very satisfying with a strong kickback and a copious amount of blood and blood decals. The kickback for the power weapons in hl2 is extremely satisfying really. Plus all the unique noises for the gravity gun, I like smacking enemies with paint cans just to see them get a white cover of paint, or that "poing" noise you get when you hit them with a radiator.

I don't know how you felt the crosshair was inaccurate, you just put the center dot on your enemy and your shots hit. Some weapons have a notable amount of spread but it's not too important overall and I honestly haven't really ran low on ammo yet. Maybe I'm just a good shot or something, but I'm pretty much ready to use any weapon at any time.

I don't know how people on Holla Forums can miss out on the bigger titles. It seems weird. Also, thinking about it, the original Xbox, not even the 360 version of the orange box, may be the most faithful way to play HL2. So much shit is broken in the current steam release.

nice dubs, and yes you have completely summed up what's shit about HL2.
Half-Life wasn't about Gordon, he's a fucking nonentity. It was about Black Mesa. Throwing that away was retarded.

hl2's not really about gordon either. is this from that retarded guys hl2 video or something? It's about city 17 and a humanity rebelling against alien rulers.

I didn't really play Half Life 2 until recently because I booted it up on a friend's PC way back when, thought it was kinda shit, and went back to playing Republic Commando.

Oh shut the fuck up. You get two submachine guns, a shotgun that sounded better in the first game and had more use because there was more enemy variety, a gravity gun that's unreliable except for Ravenholme, a revolver with no accuracy and no ammo, and a crossbow that's too slow to use effectively. Compare that to a wide variety of conventional arms and multipurpose explosives that you can actually get fucking ammo for, experimental weapons with fun properties and the occasional weird shit like alien killer bugs, and it doesn't compare. In every encounter in Half Life 1, you're dealing with much more varied opposition in varied circumstances, with a lot more choice in terms of functional and useful armament and how to handle the situation. Yeah the hive hands suck, but you're picking the one or two shit guns out of a fantastic arsenal of which Half Life 2's mediocre set barely compares.

I've played through all of HL2 and can tell you that 'the power weapons in HL2 is extremely satisfying" is an absolute lie. There's no feedback to any of the weapons. Everything sounds muted and lacks the same kind of punch Half Life 1 had. The weapon sounds weren't as realistic, and because of that, had a lot more sense of power to them instead of HL2's 'semi-real' sounds.

Then how come Gordon is treated like the fucking messiah?

hl2 wasn't a bad game but hl1 was better.
the story did become pants on head retarded tho. hl1 was full of sarcasm and gordon was just a guy exploring black mesa after the disaster.

I still find the guard waiting for you in the tunnels hilarious. "Oh, your suit has so many tracking devices everyone knows where you are" or something like that… or some later encounter. But the request to "could you please launch a rocket, it is on your way" was pretty funny.

mad at the gates

and they're both better than hl1's 1 smg

enemies took a lot more damage too, making the shotgun…less useful. especially on armored enemies who become abundant later in the game making the crossbow and revolver and tau cannon more useful. someone was shit at hl1 and hl2 it seems. HL2 also had far better sound design.

nope, it's pretty much a useful weapon from there to the end of the game, git gud.

bullets go to the center of your screen. Do you have trouble clicking things in your OS too or something? Shit, git gud.

most of the weapons are shit. gordon throws all explosives like a bitch. the SMG farts out grenades like a bitch. Most weapons are unsatisfying as fuck to use. tripmines are shit except for climbing. only good and satisfying weapons in the game are the revolver and gauss gun, unless you can't aim (which it sounds like you cant)

yeah, despite it being mediocre it's much better than hl1's shit cast of weapons.

sure you have. The increased kickback, variety of particle effects from both enemy and environment, variety of sound, reaction from the environment, sure is a total lack of feedback.

the fuck does this even mean? The weapons sound differently depending on the acoustics of the area you're in even. In HL1 the best you get as far as acoustics is a really irritating reverb effect. The only weapons with punch in HL1 are the revolver and gauss gun.

nigger fuck off

because your friends at black mesa know you, lead the resistance, and you lead the rebellion as you become a wanted man shortly into the game, and once word of your success travels after the slow teleport from nova prospekt to kleiners lab the rebellion is in full swing and you're an icon of the resistance. Is it so hard to get? It's really basic story telling. Are you sure you don't run that cringey examined life of gaming channel?

1 0 V O L T I G O R E S

wew child alert :^)

That doesn't match any of the sounds. The shotgun's firing sound doesn't have the kind of percussion the original shotgun had. Probably the only satisfying sound in the game is the sound of the shotgun being cocked. Besides that, and maybe the SMG firing sound, nothing else in the game really feels like I'm firing a powerful weapon.

Well, read what I said. The weapons sound muted and don't have any sort of punch to them. Compare the HL2 pistol sound to the HL1 pistol sound. There is significantly more 'oompf' behind the pistol in HL1.

Okay, you've explained why he's treated as the messiah, so tell me again how the story isn't about him. My entire point is that Freeman is treated as some godsend when he's just some fag in a suit, not some special guy. Freeman going from a survivor to the spearhead of a rebellion is a massive shift in story direction, and the gameplay shows it. It's a lot slower, and a lot less interesting than HL1 is.

I'm a fan of his content and if you don't like it, that's fine, but if you don't realize that his over exaggerations of character are done specifically to fuck with nerds on Holla Forums, maybe the content is lost on you. Go look at his other videos, where he does a lot more honest reviews for things, like his Deux Ex retrospective.

wtf!

Gordon becoming the messiah didn't make any sense. Gordon only survived Black Mesa because everything fell apart AHEAD of him somehow instead of around him. Every time he needs to get some where, a scientist is either dead, dying, or has to die to progress. Gordon quite literally used the unfortunate of others to his success, even unwittingly. He didn't do anything heroic.

ok, how?
may be the second worst shot noise in the game, ar2, crossbow, shotgun, gravity gun, are all much more satisfying.

how? They make plenty of sound to me. The balance doesn't feel off in the slightest. The HL2 pistol may have the worst sounding shot noise in games. But if we're comparing game sounds, the hl2 shotgun, smg, crowbar, rocket, grenade, etc. has the hl1 equivalents beat.

because…it's not a story about you. It's a story about humanity. It's really not hard to pick this up. It's pretty obvious once you start playing the game and see how fucked up the population is. The game is pretty much throwing it in your face. Don't take that retard on youtube too seriously, no one does because he's a fucking idiot.

apart from leading the rebellion and being the key force in waning away combine control of earth, sure. Not some special guy at all or anything. I think you almost got the point of how characters in the game interact with freeman. I think you're almost there and it's weird you don't get it.

hl2 isn't exactly original but hl1 was pretty tired about 5 years before it was even released in terms of story.

I don't listen to retards who don't get surface level games like hl2 and neither should you, you should make up your own mind.

Who killed Breen? Humanity, or the fag in the suit?

Who fought off helicopters and gunships? Humanity, or the fag in the suit?

Who raided a prison alone with just some bugs and a dumb bitch? Humanity, or the fag in the suit?

Who singlehandedly took down a combine helicopter? Humanity, or the fag in the suit?

Stop being retarded. For every minute of 'humanity fuck yeah' there's 3 hours of 'gordon fuck yeah'

you missed a not there. And yes, you are almost getting it, so very very close. I am really at a loss of words here because you don't seem to know this.

He's an avatar for you. That's like, the whole point of HL. Since the first one. Gordon is an avatar for the player.

so close, so so so close. I think it might be terminal.

Not an argument.

that you literally don't get the key point of hl that the game is hitting you over the face with since the very first game? Like minutes into the first game? Really? The point is you are a retard if you don't get this and have no opinion worth any value.

I'm waiting for you to actually debate my points instead of going "b-b-but you don't understand shut up retard."

Explain why numerous fights in the game are Gordon singlehandedly doing shit when it's supposed to be Humanity's struggle, despite being able to rarely actually see Humanity fight.

Holla Forums leave

I'm actually curious how you got through the game and noticed none of the characterization of the citizenry in hl2, the rebellion after you return to city 17 from nova prospekt, the people fighting in the streets, waging war against the combine, pulling down video screens of breen, etc. I'm really wondering how you don't realize this. How you're fighting side by side with people at various points, taking commands from others, numerous kleiner cast speeches in episode 1, people in episode 2 doing more of the same from the previous ones.

Really like, are you missing all of this? Did you really take that youtube retard that seriously? Are you him?

Thanks, Valve.

valve's support for games is atrocious.

PLEB
Go back to 4chan!

It's funny because 5 years ago, they were praised for their support of even GoldSrc titles.

Then they released CSGO, Dota 2, TF2 F2P…

That's the thing though. You go around seeing people do shit, like assaults on the combine, tearing down the screens, and the resistance base in Episode 2, as well as the final parts of Episode 1, and that's cool and all, but it vastly pales into comparison when you see Freeman fight gunships, helicopters, entire platoons of combine, zombies, hunters, and numerous striders almost entirely by himself. It's not a matter of "oh but it's humanity's struggle," it's a matter of the game shoving Gordon's superiority to everyone else in your face every 20 seconds.

I think it's interesting to see humanity rise up against the combine and all that, but the game would have been better in that regard had Gordon been among the humans doing shit with them, instead of the game sitting on the fence of 'one man army' or 'guy with army' and never committing fully to either.

apparently they lost the goldsrc…src. In a recent interview someone mentioned it like a what if of some old licensee of the goldsrc engine started dripping out parts of the code bit by bit. It was phrased as a question about open sourcing the code, and the valve team replied "we would if we could, we don't know where the code is."

there are no games like that which are any good. HL2 isn't that type of game and never was going to be. You want a different genre and are judging a game not by its content but by what you think its content should be instead.

And you are mistaking gordon freeman for an actual character.

Half Life isn't a shit game, I think anyone here calling it that is just shitposting tbh, but it sure isnt a masterpiece either. The first was definitely the best with HL2, while being a technological improvement over 1, had weaker gunplay and less interesting level design compared to 1.

Also it'd be pretty nice if Valve just released HL3 already, I don't care if it'll be shit I just want an actual ending already.

No, I'm not asking the game to be the humanity vs combine game it tries to pretend to be, what I'm saying is that the game constantly is at odds with itself. You've missed the point entirely.

which is why the game constantly shoves references to his background, references generally made up on the spot, like Alyx's comments about him and Barney racing in air vents when Kleiner would lose his keys, or Barney's jokes about MIT education?

If the point is that he's not an actual character, then why did Valve make so much characterization for him? The history practically fucking revolves around him.

LMAO

It's probably on some computer in their office in some tucked away directory but of course, those lazy fuckers won't go look for it so they probably will lose it.

They should really spend a week and try to find it and get it onto their code server already though.

I don't think you recall how absolutely terrible some of the level design was in hl1. On a Rail was an entire level that they shipped with the game. Xen was factories in space with giger textures. HL1 had no moments better than HL2's best, and many moments far worse than HL2s worst.

I really think you might have autism like that guy on youtube if you aren't getting this stuff. Really, like, not making fun of you or anything here, but I don't know how you could miss cues like that.

will probably never happen, but I hope that was their way of encouraging one of the number of third party devs who still has the source to leak it.

Fuck off cuck I'm right and you're wrong.

we'll see what my wife's son has to say about your taste once his father drops him off from private school.

Remember when Holla Forums loved Gaben? Remember when video games were fun?

Xen was awesome.

sure if you like snipefests and hitscan enemies in empty open rooms.

HL1 source was released some years ago. The only things missing from the public repo are a few third-party libs that the current version doesn't use anyway.
github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife

You can't play for shit mate!

Wow, looks like 56f9e0 has a personal agenda against HL1. Kek
This nigger will be loud for a few months!

He killed Nihilanth, and the people at BM know it, because Freeman was the one sent to Xen, and killing Nihilanth stopped the Resonance Cascade (though not the subsequent Portal Storms).

I recall Nihilanth being a damage sponge but I usually stop playing HL1 about 2/3 of the way through. HL1 has some incredible sections and back when it came out my friend and I would play it and it would blow our minds at how cool it was.

HL2 is still fun too but I can see why people are pissed off at how slow it can be when long talky parts that were kinda cool at the time but now are just boorrrrrrinnngggg

Half-Life 2 was indeed a great game if you were 12 and didn't pay attention to anything and kept moving.

I wouldn't call him like that:
- First method: shoot until it dies (the longest way)
- Second method: open his head and land 3 nade inside his head to insta kill him (the fucking difficult but funny as hell way)
- Third method: Land on his head, and club him to death with the fucking crowbar (the gimmick way)

Gordon only becomes a hero/legend to the resistance because of his actions against the Combine at the beginning of the game where he goes around wiping out CP bases single handedly.

At the very start of the game all they were going to do was teleport Gordon to Black Mesa East so he can be a scientist with the rest of them.

This, the negro scientist even says that Gordon needs to get out of the HEV suit and into a lab coat when they meet.

No.

Mustn't have been on imageboards for a very long time then. Back in maybe 2008-2009, people still revered gaben and valve.

I mean the real problem is that as soon as Gordon arrived they didn't immediately start packing up and getting the fuck out of there. It's not like Freeman didn't just cut a bloody swath through the Combine that left a huge trail of corpses leading to BME and parking his airboat right outside the base.

Hold me user

People who don't like hl2 are contrarians. You might think it's inferior to the first game, but it's still a pretty good game.

HL2 is the most overrated game of all times that did not manage to surpass HL1 and got BTFO by F.E.A.R.
Try and prove me wrong.

It's a trashy linear corridor shooter that bragged about doing away with cutscenes only to lock the player in various locations listening to exposition.

no one needs to prove you wrong, everyone knows fear has incredibly boring level design

FEAR doesn't have great level design, but at least it's fun as hell to shoot shit and the AI is pretty dang good

Whenever I play HL2 I just feel like the game is shouting at me 'LOOK HOW COOL OUR ENGINE IS, YOU CAN MAKE HORROR GAME, ACTION GAME, OPEN GAME, LOOK AT ALL THE GAMES'

that was every game during that generation. Serious Sam, Doom 3, Fear, Far cry, and HL2.

Fear's level design is really, really bad and the AI is fun to fight against, but only the human AI - mechs and higher tier enemies are an absolute joke.

As opposed to driving a buggy and a boat for two hours, watching scripted barrels fall into water or a game stopping you every two minutes to do make seesaws with bricks and stack boxes so you could marvel at games physics engine?

FEAR's level design facilitates its AI unlike Half Life 2 where the devs have to script every single encounter because they actually regressed in enemy AI from HL1.

did you get lost? I got to ravenholm by the time I was two hours into the game entirely. the airboat section maybe lasted 15 minutes and there are numerous breaks where you go on foot to explore areas or complete objectives. I don't know how you get lost in a linear shooter but Holla Forums surprises me every day. As far as the buggy, that would be about 30 minutes of game time, and I still hit every cache and on-foot section along the way.

Do you have any actual criticism or are you just vaguely recycling post hl2 jokes and yahtzee quips?

to be fair the hl2 ai doesn't drop a grenade in the middle of all their allies. There's not enough variety, and it's all pretty easily dispatched. The non-standard zombies are alright.

Two hours of boat and buggy combined. Learn to read.

Are you a Valve employee?

I'd say about an hour, and considering there's a good half-hour on foot section between both. Is that all you got?

yes, which is why I'm shitting on my companies support for a game which has broken awesome things like the razor train chicken and seriously nerfed the rebar crossbow.

Thanks nu/v/

What is even the point of this post?

Replayed HL2 about 3 years ago. It was a good game when I first played it at launch but hadn't aged well.

The only fun part in the game was Ravenholm and it looked better in the E3 presentation

Half-Life 2:

F.E.A.R. actually has great level design from a gameplay perspective, it's just terrible from an aesthetic perspective. There's a video that goes into it and I'll see if I can dig it up but a large part of the AI's actions are dictated by the way the arenas you fight in a laid out. F.E.A.R. 2 actually had AI that was in some ways more advanced than that in the first game, for example, but level design was dumbed down for consoles (technological restrictions and frankly to avoid putting off less-skilled players) and so they had no opportunity to showcase it. Don't mistake admittedly bland/repetitive dressing of levels for bad level design in the functional sense.

Worth noting that HL1 had the marine's actions scripted into the levels, they just hid it well with appropriate call outs that made it seem organic. HL2's AI isn't quite as terrible as it seems either, a lot of it comes down to linear level design and Valve dumbing things down due to stupid playtesters (e.g. buffing resistance fighters to the point they'll win every fight). This can be resolved by changing the scripting on the NPC to not retardedly stay on the gun at all costs, for example, and given a proper map you will see (primitive) attempts to flank from the Combine. None of this takes away from the fact that HL2 has some fairly major flaws mind.

Only good thing was the new engine, the gimmicks and the story were cancer but everyone was too amazed at the source engine to notice.

Stop posting your shit video, retard

Half-life 2 was fun, i don't know what you dweebs are arguing about.

You shouldn't play it on Easy. Combines are too slow for the AI they use and if you play on Easy the AI has even less time to act. Combine AI DOES flank you all the time and uses grenades tactically, they also flee and regroup, try to trick you and shoot you in the back, they try to push and pull you to position you better to be attacked. We don't see any of this, or rarely see it, because we just crush them the moment we see them. Play it on Hard so they don't die right away and you will see that they act very unpredictably when they should. Of course some map layouts are better than others for the AI to shine.

Since Reddit loves it and they think its better than Half Life, 2 sucks ass even though it still holds up today aside from the ingame cutscenes that at most take 2 minutes.

Look cuck, go back to your wehatevideogames-meme board back in cuckland.

Not even once

Half Life was a trend setter and a fun game. Now you have young shitposters here trying desperately to fit in calling it shit.

tfw they never release HL3 and had no intention to do so all these years.

Sorry to have to tell you this but FEAR was shit.

simply epic post my dude

Someone made a standalone version of the game based on the collector's edition running the oldest version available. It does not require Steam.
Too bad the guy uploaded it to fucking MEGA.