What rpg sequels let you play as your previous character/party without removing your old character progress?

What rpg sequels let you play as your previous character/party without removing your old character progress?
What is the best way to acknowledge previous progress without breaking the game's balance and still giving a sense of great character growth at the end of the game? Any examples?

It is amazing how many games (rpg or otherwise) either remove your upgrades/levels/whatever between games without explanation or they make up stupid excuses, poorly executed most of the time
Surprisingly, the first game I can remember that gave you some character progress between games was mass effect where they give you some extra skill points instead of a level 1 character. There's probably more examples, but I cant remember any game at all right now

I miss this, being gable to carry on where I left off in a new adventure, or at least Newgame+ with prior game ownership goodies on my save file.

There's just no continuity anymore.

On the subject of Mass Effect:

You can carry over your character and a little bit of equipment from BG to BG2, and you can carry your character from DA:O into DA:A. But in the latter case, it's an expansion, and not actually a different game, so it would be stupid for it to be otherwise.

It's pretty rare as a general rule.

Jagged Alliance 2.5 allows importing characters from Jagged Alliance 2. But it's not an RPG, and more importantly, it's shit.

I got you, famalam.

I got you, famalam.

Also:
Samus confirmed for MTF.

Golden Sun into Golden Sun 2. Take all of your first game's items, djinni, renamed characters, and I believe levels when you team up with the first game's party near the middle of the second game.

.hack let you import your character entirely.

Suikoden games. More 1 to 2.

Basically, if you have save data from the previous game, you can have the main lead from the old game join you. and some stats from the previous game carry over. that's about it

Wzardry series

Get out of here John.

The Quest for Glory/Hero's Quest series back in the good ol' DOS days. Each game ended by asking you to insert a floppy disk where you could save your character to use in the sequel.

The sequels DID let you roll a character from scratch, and assumed you had the same backstory regardless, but imported characters tended to be much stronger (and could have skills that the game wouldn't let a new character start with.)

Another example - that's a GREAT way of acknowledging your effort without breaking the game - is Sakura Taisen V on the PS2. If you had save files from the previous games in the series, you would get extra cutscenes that acknowledged the events of those games; it made no difference to the gameplay, but it was really nice that it affected the story.

It was a really pleasant surprise playing through that game and suddenly getting a cutscene where Gemini talked about her travels and the people she'd met, and then finding out it only happened because I'd imported Episode Zero. (The cutscene would have made little to no sense to anyone who hadn't played that game.)

Xenosaga solves this by changing battle systems ever game, but scaling everything up. The characters "feel" more powerful in the 3rd game than they do the first.

The Trails series kind of gets around this by having the characters start at a decently high level in the second and third parts. So in TiTS SC, most of the party starts with all the skills they had in TiTS FC and simply get more.

I think in 3rd GBA DBZ game you start at level 100 or something and then just go up from there.

I missed this:

She's literally an inch and five pounds over me. That is so arousing.

All the old Wizardry games and some other 80s-90s CRPG dungeon crawlers featured this.

I honestly think the adventure game meets RPG never got fully exploited. Point and Click Mouse interface as opposed to text was the death of the Adventure game and QfG wasn't honestly that good. The creators are full blown degenerate SJWs who barely new how to code and basically utilized AGS game maker tools. But I can imagine a really amazing RPG being built form borrowing many of the core mechanics. Modern Wrpgs are so stale and uninspired in terms of mechanical design. The writing in wrpgs has always been bad. It would be nice to see a developers try and improve on some of these more experimental takes on the genre. Oh and it was the first game I played that had choices and stats carry over to the next game in the series.

What faggotry is this?!

What's wrong with tvtropes?

Drank the koolaid.
Is filled with fanfiction reading/writing teenagers.
Instead of being an examination of tropes and how they affected culture/the medium/the product, its a catalogue of "LOL REMEMBER THIS!"

Aside from graphics the VGA remake was shit my man. Their was some funny adult easter eggs in these games that could have never existed if it was point and click. The vocabulary of the engine was remarkably verbose. The best game was QfG2 all the others where shit in comparison.

The Gold Box games
Shining Force 3 trilogy
Golden Sun 1/2
Baldur's Gate

Danball Senki had a neat explanation for why you are level 1 that fits this even though nothing carries over. A kidnapped scientist in the first game had to use a private company as a middleman to smuggle the player his special tech. By the second game said company has capitalized on everything they were given so everyone has stuff on par with your end-game stuff from the first game.

there *

So exactly like this board?

wow their salty bitch, if you don't like it leave. Nobody is forcing you to stay here. Maybe you would be happier back on That Guy with the Glasses.

Yes, but the difference between 8ch and tvtropes is you don't get banned for calling people a bitch on here.

Who's salty now?

True enough.

golden sun
as far as i remember this one do this at the best

That's pretty fucking good actually.

Ultima IV-VII iirc.

You can't be serious, dude. Holla Forums's best strength is that it's honest about how shit it is. If you forget that, it's just another dump.
I bet you got triggered by pic related

Mass Effect 3

A shit game, but it fits the bill, you cap out at level 30 in ME2 and if you import you start at level 30 in ME3 with your paragon/renegade status intact, complete with like half your skill tree filled. That game doesn't do a whole lot well but I thought that was a nice touch.

SJWs took control during the great purge of the Rape trope.

We hate niggers and jews around here. Capisce

Here's your (you)

source?

you out of town niggers that don't even value the context of our inside jokes are pure cancer.

Monster grill quest

You'll get no argument from me there. QFG2 is easily the best game in the series, and the original Hero's Quest is better than the VGA remake in almost every way - I think combat system in the VGA one is better, but that's about it. They even rewrote the dialogue to be less entertaining, and while the graphics may be more detailed, there are a lot of times when they looked a lot better in the original.

I was just baffled to see the original game's title screen, but it says "Quest for Glory" instead of "Hero's Quest". Did they rerelease the original (EGA) game with the new title?

Neverwinter Nights did this for moving from the base games to the expansions. Or possibly moving from one expansion to the next, it's been a while since I played them. But I do recall it was handled well.

Here m8

Holla Forums is populated by many types of people, fanfiction writers are not among of them.

I dunno but if you want some hilarious emulator fun load up a Mario64 save-state in Mario Kart64 on UltraHLE or Project64.

Warning: state-crossing between emulated games is fucking addictive!

>>>Holla Forums785460
There's some clips posted in the Holla Forums thread if you don't want to watch the whole video. You should though. It's fucking great.