So what progress in terms of graphics have we made since the last gen?

So what progress in terms of graphics have we made since the last gen?
What new game made you go"yeah,this is next-gen"?

The FOX Engine, but then again I don't think it was used for its right purpose. PES looks absolutely fantastic compared to earlier iterations but it's still dogshit at emulating real life stuff.

Klonoa 2 and soul reaver 2, I guess.
Saw it in a store display during christmas. First time seeing 6th gen graphics other than Sonic adventure.
Everything looks a lot better nowadays, but that was the last time a graphic jump really hit me.

So long as you didn't get too close to the ground Ace Combat 6 was a looker of a game, even if they probably spent a majority of the budget on making missiles look pretty.

Skyrim
Only recent game I think that looks good is UT so far

There have been no major improvements to graphics since 2007, only polish.

MGS5 and Dark Souls 3. But it's probably thanks to animation quality rather than textures or polycount.

This isn't a "diminishing returns" thing, this is the fact devs stopped giving a shit about optimization and pushing games to their limit WITHOUT BEING LAZY ABOUT IT, plenty of games will max out your hardware, but that's just because they were coded like shit.
Doom was so well optimized that the entire game was actually a 2D map which calculated what walls you can and can't walk through via a sector value that used a special render to make it look indistinguishable to an real 3D environment.
Why did most gamedevs lose that passion? I know some still have it, just look at the Serious Sam games, but it seems so rare now.

graphical quality isn't just measured in polygons and textures (both of which still aren't fully developed and utilized).
Modern games still have problems with particle effects, dynamic shadows, lighting in general, physics, sound dynamics, and destructability (that used to be the hottest shit but then it just completely went away).
The problem is that companies don't try to squeeze the most technology they can out of their constraints, they just either poorly optimize and make the game run like shit, or they make it unabashedly shitty-looking.
It's just a lack of effort on the part of developers.

But the cloth physics in Bloodborne/DS3 looked really good.

Shadow of the Colossus/Power Stone 2/SuperMario64
Crysis if we're not talking about consoles.
Jesus fuck, this board needs a purge

Killzone 2
Halo 3
Definitely Spyro for the PS1 and the Legacy of kain Soul Reaver 2 port for the PS2

Just felt like I'd point these out, because from my personal experience they actually made me say "holy shit" the first time I ever saw them

The Serious Sam tech-demos were mildly impressive, but fall far from showcasing anything that could be considered feature complete; let alone a game. Things such as lack of AI, lack of level and character design, lack of gameplay, lack of story, etc.

Anyway I didn't fall for the "next-gen" trap this time around so my newest console is the Xbox 360. The engine that From Software used for Dark Souls seems pretty impressive to me (my first console was Pong).

You ninny, the reason people are saying recent games is because OP specifically asked for changes between last gen now.

I've heard a lot of games not called games before, but SS is a first.

uncharted 4 is the best looking game to date, easily.

passion? Nigger it's based off of old research on binary space partitioning from the 70s. Carmack's entire tech career has been him repurposing existing technology and applying it to video games.

Exciting things are still happening, it is your own fault you fail to recognize it.

Yeah, thats why they're listing 7th Gen games, right?

Morrowind with MGEXE looks better than most AAA devs can come up with. I haven't cared about graphics for about 9 years at this point.

Graphics don't matter.
The japanese never had a graphical arms race like the west did. So their middle tier devs were never killed off. One of the reasons japanese games are better than western ones.

Any walking simulator beats it and has gameplay has engaging as it.

Nope, they're just as trash

I think we've reached the point of diminishing returns for graphics. Not really in terms of how good we can get them to look, but in terms of the absurd amount of time required to make games look marginally better.
Developers should focus on performance instead of adding more shaders and post-processing effects.

worst post on Holla Forums 2017

Impossible, it not the one praising Uncharted 4 as the best looking game to date.

Worst bait I've seen in years. Fucking apply yourself.

This is some next-gen 6000000D chess going on right here

Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
NIGHTS Into Dreams
Jumping Flash
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil

Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Gran Turismo 3
GTA III
Metal Gear Solid 2
Ico
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Halo

Gears of War
Lost Planet
Viva Pinata
The Darkness
Crysis (couldn't afford a PC confident enough to run this fucker until about 5 years after release though)

……
Closest thing might be MGSV or Shadow of Mordor (say what you will about the game itself but the scale and optimization were decently impressive)

honestly the "effects" in some games are getting pretty spectacular. have any of you guys seen the particle effects in resogun, second son, or gravity rush 2?
im not making an argument that the ps4 is good, but the fact that the ps4, but the reason im using it as an example is because its a weak old machine. it can process and display particle effects like that just blows my mind.
just like how the depth and details and graphics of mgs2 amazed me at the time, and the ps2 by far did not have revolutionary hardware.

i'll try to find some examples. but its hard to find a video format that can capture the particle effects without becoming a massive filesize.

They add extra visual effects to screenshots if you use the built-in screenshot feature.

i just played the game and liked using the neon light ability. the effect of pulling the light from the streetlights looks really crazy.
are you talking about bullshots? or in-game bullshots?
the regular gameplay is pretty impressive when it comes to particle effects.

Are people really this stupid?

r u just pretending to be retarded?
Halo: Combat Evolved 128-bit??? It's 32-bit on Windows. Current gen is 64-bit. PC, XBOX ONE, PS4