I decided to replay through half-life 1. It's OK, not really as good as everyone in the world wants you to believe...

I decided to replay through half-life 1. It's OK, not really as good as everyone in the world wants you to believe. Xen is genuinely bad and incredibly boring. Poor level design leads to combat becoming a snipe fest. Game seems to have become less stable over time too, I had numerous crashes at several points.

Anyone had any similar issues? I verified the integrity of the game cache after the first two crashes happened in the same map early on, but there was a lot of problems with stability. Seems to be a PC gaming thing these days. Shame older games are getting neglected like that.

A lot of the weapons are kinda shit. Gluon gun uses too much ammo to be useful compared to the gauss gun, pistol is a headcrab killer only, crowbar is a joke weapon, hive hand is pretty much worthless in both fire modes. crossbow's reload time and projectile travel makes it less useful than the revolver, seems bizarre they would balance the weapons so poorly.

What were your feelings on hl1? Have you played through it recently or has it been a while? I used to love playing the multiplayer games like day of defeat 1.3 but that game is long since dead.

Well, thank you for your insight on one of the most famous and influential games ever, random dumbfuck.

Half-Life's weapons exist as backup for when your revolver ammo runs out.

it did some cool things for the time, however I feel it aged rather poorly.

he's not wrong though, actually he's completely right.

pretty much how I went through everything. revolver, and double shotgun. plentiful explosives made them consistently useful, at least.

The game which had no problem with my Voodoo and TNT graphics card kill a modern current year pc
POTTERY

I decided to start playing opposing force to see if my views had changed on it at all, it does start out a lot better than HL1, and the arsenal is immediately more interesting apart from a useless knife. Better paced too.

Still crashes when it wants to.

I replayed it last week and played through Opposing Force today. Not a single crash on either of them. And I only got a single bug (in HL:OF), which stuck me in an elevator.
Did you play the Source version? I hear they fucked it up in the most recent patch or something like that.

Wolfenstein 3D?

No, I wouldn't play the source version for game play reasons alone. goldsrc physics > source physics.

U wot m8?
Pistol is probably one of the best weapons in the game

yes, for headcrabs.

For anything.

Learn to headshots.

Cause it's the only other gun that can except for the revolver because it's dead on accurate

It's the MP5 (not grenades) that's totally useless

yep, and I'd rather use the revolver. Not like you're ever really low on ammo for it. Any other power weapon is more useful too.

Fuck off its probably one of the most bland and boring games and contributed to making FPS games what they are now bland stale shit and boringly repetitive

Source version is pretty much a garbage!
It's dumb down the enemy AI, remove the body-part damage, look shittier than the original game.

You mean the game which was overshadowed by Doom? Hahaha Man, it wasn't big even our time!

For the OP? Maybe you play with the patched version? The one which replace the mp5 with the m16? If so, then that must be the problem! That patch fucked up the whole game!

Nigger! Take it back!
The level desing still beat any fucking post-2007 game. Fuck off!

who cares about games that came out after the fact? It's a pretty weak game on its own. (also for the record, halo 3 odst is better)

Can you fuck off back to reddit please? This game is a post 2007 game in itself its probably the most boring game I've ever played stop enjoying this shitty mainstream overrated game and play something better and stop being overly zealous

games dont age. I've been playing half-life 1 longer than you've been alive.

Yes they do retard.
DMC 1 has aged horribly because the other games exist.
All media ages because things that were original at the time are no longer original.
A piece of shit game like Duke Nukem Forever would be considered amazing if it came out in the 70s.

No? It's just not as good as the other games. It hasn't aged. Games stay the same.

Some games don't age. Specifically, the games that aged are those that have mechanics that have been heavily improved upon with time.
For instance, early 3D platformers have "aged" because camera controls have gotten better. Medievil is one of my favorite games of all times and shits on most games nowadays, but I can still admit the camera wasn't the best. I mean it's a minor annoyance, but it still could be better.

The best games are usually designed with those limitations in mind. Other, newer games may improve on some mechanics or systems earlier games used, but this does not void the older games or make them worse.

Why are you lying you fucker?

would you

Where did I say that at any point?

It was less repetitive than fucking DOOM and the rest of the FPS designed at the time. Each enemy is placed in a very specific way and it had amazing pacing. I like Doom and Serious sam but for the most part they just constantly throw enemies at you. That is far more repetitive.
Also OP is a faggot and a pleb and therefore his opinions don't mean shit.

You're talking semantics here.
I don't care what "ageing" means to you, the general idea is that camera controls used to suck compared to how they are nowadays. Whether this matters to you is another subject.

none of what I've said is wrong.

Games age faggot.
When something does something better it makes the older game not seem as good or unique by comparison.
It's why Romeo and Juliet was considered amazing but today would be a horribly generic and 1 dimension story.

yep, they sure did. They improved. Good games with bad cameras minimized their use so they weren't a problem. Mario 64 largely had a solid camera despite the fact it mostly pointed in 8 directions, it's a proper full 3D game and its limitations popped up once in a while. Still, because the camera was largely out of your way, it worked very well.

that's nice, but you're wrong.

But it is.
Also
That's fucking retarded. By that logic Doom contributed to Call of Duty.

Did you reply to the wrong person or get caught samefagging?

I've never argued Half-Life 1 contributed to anything. I am talking about the game independent from almost everything around it.

I am the OP. I was replying to his last line.

He doesn't even quoted you. Are you just here to bait anons? From legit critism you swifted pretty fast into autism mode!

So you agree with the general idea. The not-improved, old games are considered aged.

No, he "doesn't" even quoted me. I am the OP, so I responded. Not hard to follow, is it? Are you ESL?

I do not think this affects games, I think it can cause the way some people perceive games to change, but the games stay the same.

sure, what part of my criticism was wrong, then.

I hope you're not retarded enough to be implying I'm saying the games themselves changed, as in, they're somehow different than how they were back then despite the fact that they're immutable pieces of easily reproducible media.

Of fucking course I'm saying the perception is different. That's the definition of a game ageing. Jesus.

Last post from me (not for shitstrom, but for consideration):
If the game didn't aged, and games dont age, then why they make remakes? Why there is a thing what we call Black Mesa? Why is it full with improvements?

Something aging implies it changes. That is what aging means in every context. It's pointless to argue semantics because I refuse to use stupid ones.

black mesa isn't full of improvements and it changes too much of how the game functions on a core level to be considered a proper remake, more a reinterpretation.

maybe if you actually made one instead of saying "it's bad".

90s cawadoodie

It never means that for media.
That is literally autism no.

The only thing I said is bad is Xen because pretty much every area is turned into a snipe fest for revolver/tau/crossbow action instead of quick switching weapon action in close quarters.

Do you not know how to read?

Yeah, you didn't realize explain why it's bad.

Or any other part of the game for that matter.
Your casual brain couldn't handle it.

I did actually, and I explained again in the same post. So you don't know how to read, very interesting.

The only thing worse than an actual ignorant is a stubbornly retarded buffoon. At least you can teach the ignorant a new thing, but the stubborn one will always refuse to acknowledge different things, and will put himself in embarrassing positions for it, like you are now.
If you disagree with the semantics of the word, then you've been having pointless discussions about it from the get go. I'm not even mad I wasted my time, I just feel sorry for the fact that you enjoy wasting yours.

Furthermore, in your retarded ways you're ignoring that many words have stranded from their original purpose anyways.
Do you use the word path to refer to something other than a literal path on a piece of land that marks the way from one place to another?
Then you're a hypocrite.
I could provide thousands of examples, no hyperbole, thousands, but I hope this is enough to illustrate why you're a retard.
Not to you, because you're hopeless, but to anyone else who's reading.

you've reached peak autism son. Time to stop posting and getting mad at retarded words like "aging" applying to things that stay the same.

Using autism as an argument and your only argument is pretty autistic.

Like I said, my post wasn't aimed at you. You're already hopeless.

Played through it this past summer. Besides some pain-in-the-ass areas (conveyer belts come to mind), it was good for what it was.

Barney's retarded AI is hilarious, and bumping off scientists just for the heck of it is fun. HL2 is said to be a lot more fun (idk since I've yet to play it), but for shooters that are just fun this ranks up there with Bioshock.

you couldn't defend why you would use aging and you think that the semantics are more relevant than the argument. I don't care what you think, and I don't think anyone else cares what you think. You've demonstrated you're a weak little child and need people to play by your hyper-autistic rules or else you'll make incredibly longwinded posts about nothing relevant.

the allied AI being ridiculously bad carries over into everything on the engine it seems. Playing Op4 now and it's pretty frustrating how AI will decide to stop following you on a whim. I feel like the locations you go through lack a better sense of place in the world, but the levels and the scenarios are pretty tightly designed, so it's fun to engage in the action.

As for just pure fun shooters, bioshock 2 is great. The first is…OK.

(1)

I did. If you were so mad that you couldn't read my post, that's your own problem

Now you're making shit up.
Your argument is old and useless. Everyone already knows digital media doesn't change. You dumb fuck. Everyone uses "ageing" in the context of videogames to refer to changed perceptions
If you didn't know that, then it's like you walked in a meeting where they're holding a discussion on the declining oil industry without knowing what oil is. Dumb fuck.

Whether or not you care about what I think is irrelevant. Why bring that up?
Everyone already uses the term ageing for changed perceptions. It's not what I think. It's already what everyone thinks.

Says the incredibly autistic one that threw "U MAD!!!" and "U AUTISTIC!!!!" when he got proven wrong like a dumb sissy bitch.

For the record, the one that goes against the already established concept for no reason other than "I don't like" (right here, don't play dumb and pretend you didn't ) is the autistic one.

that's nice, but this is a half-life thread. Time to move on autist, you lost.

Isn't this the same "argument" the autsts at the OW general use?

I don't know, I don't post there but you sure seem to know a lot about it.

My God.
You really are this desperate.
Enjoy having the rest of the thread mock you for being the little sissy retarded bitch you are.

please type more paragraphs. I'm not the only one enjoying your fits.

kek

its not a bad game, just overhyped, but you're still a faggot for making this thread

that's nice, I didn't say anything about 2017 standards.

you're still a faggot

and you are a retard, but you're welcome back with an actual argument any time.

So are your opinions from 1998?

gay

You are a retard. The use of the word "aging" to mean "is not the same experience now than it was then" is common.
Embed related is an example; this came out in the mid 80s. It was very impressive at the time, because CG was a new field that wasn't yet exploited very much at all. For sure, the animation is still impressive, but compared to what we see in many films today? The point of this being that you would be hard pressed to find people who are as impressed at this now as they might have been when it was first made, even though the actually video has not changed. You could say it has aged.
Faggot.

I can't wait for more kids to say bad old games were.
I bet Metroid Prime and Duke are Next.

but I won't, because I'm not a retard. Either way I'm glad to have upset so many people. One or two half-life fanatics, a few mustards, and a swathe of retards who can't get over the fact that someone refuses to use the word "aging." to describe something like a video game.

I've got some bad news for you user.

Don't understand this sudden trend of disliking old games out of a sudden, and this has been pretty much prominent with this game lately for some reason. Is it because it inspired many cinematic games because of its first-person narrative in storytelling or what?

Nope, not trolling, just happy that if I can't have a legitimate discussion I can upset a few spergs along the way.

Reply to me, are your opinions from 1998, or from today with influence of other newer games?

I don't think it's been the source of cinematic games. I think if anything, in-game scripting, especially in first person games, has more in common with how call of duty did it back in 2003. Half-Life's scripting is very free form in a sense, things happen around you rather than things taking you along on a roller coaster.

If anything, HL1's scripted events are tightly done in a way that doesn't intrude on the player, and if the player fails to observe them well, they can also die to them pretty easily. They are well done.

(you)

You could but instead you decided to shitpost and "Troll".

No arguments, huh? I guess Half-Life and your brain aged quite a lot

I try to look at most games in a vacuum and observe how it might have been inspired by some, and how it was interpreted by ones that followed, but never to have the things around it affect my judgement of it. I think that's pointless.

what I don't get is hl1 isn't really a hard game. I think when you call people a casual for disliking a game that isn't particularly hard, it just reflects poorly on the person crying casual.

Regardless of the game in question, the idea of an honest to goodness casual going out of his to come post on a vidya board on a laotian sock puppetry enthusiast website is pretty fucking absurd.

Star Control isn't that hard either but casuals can't stand it.
Casuals don't like games that aren't normalfag focused.

that I also agree with.

Literally the fastest and best part of the game. You niggers can't crouch-jump or…?

PLATFORMING IN FIRST PERSON IS HARD FOR MY CASUAL BRAIN

I didn't like it in '98.

The first part is OK, pretty empty, not many interesting enemy encounters. There's a small section just before a gargantua chase that is adequate in the Interloper chapter that is OK, but after that it's literally just bland alien factories with generic hr giger textures. Factories with wide open spaces that you need to snipe vorts from and avoid and snipe the floating cheese puff tosses. It really is the opposite of a well designed area for game play. The platforming is whatever but it's not very interesting either.

Really you spent the entirety of the game in human factories. Who's bright idea was it to reskin them and make them alien factories?

Shit design.

Exactly. It's the same people that get confused with 2D Sonic's momentum and "why doesn't he go straight up" when they jump on sloped surfaces

Dysgenic retardation of the greatest order.

I ran past all of those guys and only shotgunned the ones in my immediate path. The rocket let's you skip past most of the enviroment so it seemed natural to do.

I don't know why you thought they wanted you to clean out the room if it was filled with actually dozens of those Giga-nigga looking soldiers and vorts and flying brain-guys. Seems obvious to just run past most of them and rush the exit.

because vortigaunts attacks are hitscan, so it's necessary to kill them if you're moving through wide open spaces without cover, which there is a lot of in those areas.

I thought they missed if you were far enough and moving fast enough. Huh.

You definitely have to tank a few hits but I don't remember going too much below 40 health.

1. To "age" means to "cause to appear old or older". Yes, context can "cause" something to appear older. Similarly, "aged" is "having lived or existed for a long time". Yes, that applies to video games. Check it out, pick a dictionary and do it.
2. If you have an issue with the word "aging", you only had to come up with one word that might have been more appropriate to you. For instance, "dated". Yet you didn't despite your 35 posts. Which leads us to:
3. You wrote 35 replies in this thread. This thread is 37% you. And you have the nerves to call others spergs. Projecting much?

Not an argument, games tend to less stable on new hardware.

It's even less of an argument considering HL1 runs buttery smooth on just about anything, you just have a potato machine.

There is a small chance they will miss while you are moving, but I'm not sure what the factors are based on. It may just be random, like the gib skull toss, or scale with difficulty (I don't know, only played the games on hard mode in recent memory.) Still, it's not consistent enough for me to want to risk on a difficulty where three hits from a vortigaunt is death.

So in order to progress reasonably with enough health from situation to situation, sniping became a necessity in the end.

an op wanting to talk about his topic, how bizarre, right? Would you prefer (1) and done's?

casual

That's not an argument.

I think it's time for dubs.

isn't an argument either. Feel free to fuck off if you're going to be retarded.

this is just reminding me i have to do my annual replay of the half life series soon and it's making me feel like a procrastinating asshole
yes i replay video games annually fuck you

And here's why you're retarded
You use it as back up when you the guas sun is out of ammo.
Nigger what? Early on it's your ONLY weapon and as a starter pistol it's effective especially at headshots.
I'm sorry you fucking suck dick at maneuvering and melee combat
Sort of agreed
Sad.

I try not to, I think playing new games is far better.

I played Half Life and the sequel when I picked them up at the last Steam sales (Before Christmas. Halloween?) Half Life 1 felt like Doom 3 with '98 graphics and you could actually see where you were going.
There were some pretty awkward designs in the level, like the toxic waste area having barrels bouncing around going down a fall. I filled up and tried to bounce on the barrels and ended up following them into the path they go up when they fall. Didn't even know that area was technically out of bounds and buggy but the game just lets you through anyways, looping back to the first room. The problem with that all was mostly because of the contrast of barrels to the bright green waste directed my attention to that, instead of the rusty pipes up above where you were supposed to climb up onto and walk along.
Some things felt pretty bad to use too. Shotgun pellets felt RNG. I think they just had some buggy pellet physics and didn't count if you shot point blank or something, so it felt weaker than it really would've been if it worked.
I wouldn't say it was the worst game ever and it's nice they had story and script mostly happening around you, since that's a more videogame-like way to tell a story than cutscenes and taking your ability to move away all the time. It lacked a lot of environmental diversity though which got boring. I can only really remember lots of office halls, a few toxic waste and metal areas, and a few mountains and deserts outside. Xen felt exciting after slogging through so much of it. Half Life 2 did a lot better with being in a big city. The most memorable probably being Ravencroft or whatever it was called.
Most encounters were fine or didn't bother me too much, but I played a lot of the game trying to get shotgun to work which as I said above, was shit. This was especially bad when going through that chapter with all the military encounters. Got really mentally exhausting and was a I think one of the longest chapters in the game.
Those were probably my biggest gripes I remember about HL1. HL2 is a straight upgrade I'd say and HL1 aged from being compared like that. It's certainly not the worst out there today but saying it's the god of design is a stretch. Not a bad case study for good stuff though.

I prefer pic related.

Except it's not.

Agreed, gluon gun is the most disappointing "super weapon" of any 90s FPS game.

Actually the pistol is really useful, most accurate weapon of the game, good to snipe enemies at a distance, just go for headshots.

It's mainly to break objects, vents, etc in order to save ammo, not really a weapon and more of a tool.

Pretty much.

The reload of the crossbow is really ridiculous, and ammo for it is also very rare.

Also, they say it's a weapon specialized to kill itchyosaurs, but I find it awful to use underwater. Its underwater travel distance should be faster to become useful. Use the speargun from SiN and you'll see how it should be done.

The only pro of the crowbar is that, being a stealth weapon, you don't alert nearby enemies when you pick them apart.

the crowbar being a tool is a reasonable conclusion, I agree. I liked how they made it a solid anti-headcrab weapon in hl2, and an actually usable weapon in desperation situations. That was a good change that provided more utility for the weapon.

I didn't realize the crowbar was silent. I suppose I don't see much value in that on hard mode because it takes a lot of hits to kill enemies.

I don't mind Xen, the only weak part for me was the Gonarch fight, too heavily scripted for my taste.

Also, the scripting on rare occasions break the level and you can't complete it, the gonarch stays on a corner forever. You're forced to pick an earlier save to fix that.

Sorry, I meant that the crossbow was a stealth weapon.

I don't really want to get sucked into the "ageing" debate, but I feel it's worth mentioning that games that cause major shifts in genres or subgenres and thus are remembered as highly influential tend to be both made with a lot of love and rough around the edges. Half-life, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 4, Deus Ex, etc. It's always easier to polish an established format than to break some new ground.
HL specifically is the genesis of the "no cutscene, tell the story through the ride" FPS. So arguably, it's the grandparent of some of the biggest cancer in gaming in terms of level design and scripting, but it was a fresh new approach at the time.

I hope BMJ draws lewds of Antlions at some point

which version gold source or source?

I didn't know it existed in '98
chk m8

Literally who?

Half-Life porn artist
He's only ever drawn Half-Life porn, nothing else.

I thought this game was cool 15 years ago but it hasn't aged well. Same with Half-Life 2.

When I play them now I get bored pretty quickly.

Maybe it's because these games were focused on gimmicks.

It's time for this degeneracy to stop, anons.

OP seriously fuck off, this isn't your personal soapbox you dumb cuck

I mean, one of the scrapped monsters was supposed to literally rape you in-game.

Ignore that fact or not I still don't have the desire to fuck anything non human and if you do, there's something wrong with you beyond being a basement dweller.

you may not want to fuck it, but it wants to fuck you.

I recently played plenty of retro fps games.

I'd much rather play the first alien vs predator (1999) than half life any day of the week. A clear arcade shooter evolution with beautiful movement controls for all three races.

The only thing half life had, which is why its a better tech demo than game, is a cinematic feel and an extremely impressive physics engine at the time. Kind of like system shock, but system shock had absolutely remarkable but beautifully clunky controls at the time.

I like Half Life a lot and some issues with just the existence of some arguments anons are having.

It's mostly a boss gauntlet and that's visibly shown where sections focused on fighting a specific enemy becomes more linear.

The game should run perfectly fine but you might be playing on the awful Linux update. The game is stable across all other versions.

That one user also mentioning they only used the 357 is silly since there really is no way of using that all the time unless you don't attack most of the enemy. Most weapons seem to have a purpose with one of my personal exceptions being the hornet gun. The crowbar is a better alternative if you somehow have no ammo.

If you don't want the game to crash, get an older steam version or get Xash3d which is an engine port or play the WON version. Your only excuse for playing updated half life is the multiplayer which has seen better days sadly.

But that's about hl1 not minecraft

Don't be such a prude, user.

9/10 bait
Check these dubs

Now

This sounds like modern gamer cancer to me. You're too used to being led by the nose.

It's vastly overrated though not as much as its sequel.
It mostly gets a pass because "muh cinematic experience" but we all know what that gave us.

I forgot these existed. Dump, please?

HL games have always been a meme.

Is this a shareblue bot thread?

Very weird spacing and such un nuanced speech patterns.

Yes. Fuck yes.
That would've been much easier to tolerate than your autism and incessant whining

I get occasional crashes in all gldsrc games nowadays. There was an update back in 2013, I think Valve must have fucked something up.

Gluon Gun is for taking out many enemies at once, Gauss is for take down tough enemies and enemies behind walls. Both useful in their own way, but yeah the Gauss is definitely more interesting. MP has gaussjumping, making it even more OP.

The pistol is actually really good due to having perfect accuracy, crowbar is only needed to smash crates and vents

Won't dispute that

I think it was only intended to be used as an underwater weapon

I love it, it's my favourite game. I go back and replay it every year or two and fall in love with it all over again.

Most gldsrc MP is dead unfortunately, CS is probably still alive but that's shit. You can occasionally get good HL/OP4DM games going.

The knife was great. It kills most things in one hit when backstabbing and kills zombies in one hit when attacking from the front.

Will this run alright on my mac?

Valve stopped updating Gldsource ages ago, which was for older OSes.
You're saying as if a DOS emulator is shit because it's unreliable on a modern OS.
Just boot up Xash3d instead.