ITT: enemies that unnerve you

ITT: enemies that unnerve you
*please contain your penis weenus jokes*

One of the rotations had a room with a long, straight corridor filled with nothing but these fuckers, at least seven or eight of them. That unnerved me a LOT.

The DS3 jailers. Fuck those things.

fucked up the spoiler tag, i'm a faggot

Is there even a foolproof way to kill those? Seems like when one lays his eyes on you, your HP is already fucked, even if you get a drop on them and attack first.

The Dead Hand is made even more fearsome by its low-poly graphics

If you run up and kill them before they turn red and let out the steam or whatever you can leave fairly unmolested.

this reminds me of something from Evangelion

the first boss in Illbleed scared me more than anything in any game before or since and I'm not sure why.

In all seriousness, I'd hate to run into this guy in a dark alley.

There's just something about this enemy right here. It's so spindly and weird and just fucking gross. It looks like a tree but it's a living being and it's just so fucking nasty it makes my skin crawl. I just hate looking at it.

Glad I wasn't the only one to think that at first.

pic motherfucking related.

he was my personal nightmare when i was 8 and trying to play megaman legends

the bone tubers are annoying but fairly easy. get close and bait them into attacking.

if they do the 2 hit combo, just take a couple steps back and hit them when they're done.
if they do the sanic attack, you will have enough time to run back. you can outrun them with a little timing, it has a fixed short distance, if you manage to make him stop close to you, he is completely vulnerable afterwards
if they do the tornado attack, they will ALWAYS jump back. they jump back once or twice, and then do the tornado, you also have to run back to dodge this one, and hit them when they land.

why, my peenus weenus ofc :]]]]]

Wanna be spooked, user? Trees are living beings too.
Nice digits, by the way.

oh thats right, i forgot

after MK-4 bone tubers, they gain a new attack, the lightning dash. they have a fairly long build-up for this attack. The only way to dodge this one is to put a wall between you and him, or killing them completely before they finish readying it. run the fuck up and hide behind, above, or under anything solid.

They're easy, sure, but that doesn't make them any less intimidating. Their dash is actually their huge vulnerability, as it's not actually attack, and it leaves them right next to you and open to damage.

Is that shit a triffid?!

>>>Holla Forums
No one here is falling for your environmentalist bullshit

Yeah, and they also lose their shit against the iron's parry.

I don't think I have ever been hit by this attack once. They always either miss, or I manage to kill them before it starts.

hehe that's a good one user
this is a joke right?

I should've said organic as opposed to living. Harhar trees are still made of organic material fug. Thanks though.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was somehow inspired by it.

That + the Ayy's makes me think they should make a fifties b sci-fi movie soulds game.

Speaking of running, the rolls in LID are a joke. They eat a lot of stamina, have no i-frames, and also have weird ass tracking when locked on. In virtually any situation you're better off sprinting in a circle in front of an enemy or jumping, since jumping for some reason doesn't cost stamina at all.

I don't get unnerved anymore but these two did when I was kid.

My hands shook whenever I fought Duriel.

monster ock from the ps1 spiderman game

they're not meant to have i-frames.

in dark souls the rolls are pretty stupid, the sword can cut your body in half but OH WAIT, THE FRAME THE SWORD PASSED THROUGH ME WAS AN INVINCIBILITY FRAME, NO DAMAGE FOR ME :^). its kinda ridiculous. Or it could be worse and be the opposite, remember It's a shockwave!? that was just awful game design. people who played online had lag and would get hit by attacks that didn't even touch them.

Dark souls 3 took it to the extreme, dodge rolls consume almost no stamina whatsoever. you can roll like 6 times with the level 1 stamina bar. while in das 1 and 2, you needed a maxed stamina bar + ring of F&P to roll 6 times in a row.

rolls in LID are meant to get out of the way of an attack. not to roll onto it and not get punished for it because of some silly videogame logic. im more afraid of the bullet tubers and the Reversal tubers. their fucking flamethrower always comes out of nowhere and it pushes you the fuck back, i fell off the buildings in gunka's area twice because of it. The reversal tubers do their quake thing so fast you have no time to roll away enough, not only you cant dodge it because it has a huge aoe, but it hits like a fucking truck, unless you're properly equipped it can easily hit 10k damage, that's instant death.

also too bad we end up having legit LID discussion here while the LID thread is on page 13, RIP

I realize they aren't meant to have i-frames and I'm okay with that. But they should either have more distance or use less stamina, not to mention that silly circular tracking when you roll to the side when locked on. As they stand now, the rolls are only good for extinguishing yourself when on fire. :^)

I never saw the LID thread, shame on me.

I still find it hilarious that Dr. Dickghost here LONG predates that shitpost yet fulfills it as well (considering it attacks by slapping your characters in the face with it's lengthy "protrusion", to use the bestiary's description, or rubbing some magic out).

Whole series has great enemy design ranging from strange to downright disturbing.

All right now, what game is this? Shadow hearts?

spooks me every time

The metallic moaning sounds in the Saul Kada ruins tracks are the Wojigairon calling out for masters that abandoned it millennia ago.

To this day, nobody believes me when I say that I beat the rhythm section on my second try.

yeah, i give you that the lock on in LID is fucking broken. not only it royally fucks up your dodge rolls, but you can't change target, and the targeting is REALLY wonky, sometimes it targets enemies in the back instead of the nearest one. letitdiethegame.com has a support page where you can email the devs, and they always reply to you within 1 day. if more people complained about it, they'd probably do something to fix it.

i've learned to work around it, i only lock on when im on a 1v1 situation, the rest of the time i try not to lock on and just attack by aiming, and when im stabbing, i lock on, stab, and quickly lock off, weapons like katana, cleaver, and lance definitely need you to be locked on.

as far as stamina goes, i think its fine. you shouldn't be dodge rolling 20 times in a row like in meme souls 3, if you overroll, you get punished. thats perfect, dodge roll is something you have to use sparingly. or you can just buy Silver Hearts and Olympic Athletes, i got quite a few premiums of those already.

goddamn i remember shooting dozens of homing missiles at them.

These guys. Genuinely scared me when I fell down a hole in the water tower world and landed in a room with two or three of them running around and attacking (after seeing one a while back just standing in place).

They lose the creepy effect when you realize you can perfect guard most if not all of their attacks, including the roll and lightning dash. Or wait until they run towards you and immediately walk slightly pass them. They stop guarding and stay open enough to kill them quickly.

Where were those? You kill Wojigairon by cutting off its magma supply so it couldn't heal anymore.

It's cool that if you rewind time while it's talking you can hear it speaking properly. The chase sequences in that game were some of the best.

that was good stuff
the point where the prince almost gave up when he was in that tomb really got to me

Yeah, Shadow Hearts series. Three games on the PS2, and a predecessor (Koudelka) on the PS1. It's not just the monster designs in graphics and animation that makes the enemies enjoyable, but also the bestiary descriptions, which can range from weird to grotesque.

Might be worth noting that only the PS2 entries have bestiaries. Meanwhile with Koudelka, the enemies don't even have ingame nameplates, let alone names for what their attacks are. Honestly not sure if that subtracts from or adds to the creepiness factor. Do wonder where the series wiki gets its information on Koudelka's enemies from though; it differs vastly at point from the Prima guide scans I've seen, so maybe they translated based off a Japanese guide?

You can, with up on d-pad.
This shit is not even funny.

Are they emulating well? I've got a working PS2, but I'm not keen on all that 480i thing.

those dogs from Quake. They made me develop a fear of dogs.

I got over it.

Numb Bodies

The god damn Scourges in S.T.E.A.M. I get most of the enemies are based on Lovecraftian abominations, but there's something extra weird about those elephant looking motherfuckers.

>up on fucking dpad

you gotta be shitting me. i beat the whole game without knowing this? so that is why the up button does absolutely nothing.

You might be better off not knowing, it's awkward as fuck.

PCSX2 wiki states that they're playable from start to finish, and I remember hearing in an article written about the then-latest release of PCSX2 having notable improvements in running the first game, but the first game is noted as being "very" GPU intensive outside of battle, causing drastic slowdown in exploring when ran in hardware mode. Apparently there's a workaround in toggling the rendering between hardware mode for battle and software mode for exploration, but it seems like that might be a pain. I've got actual copies of the games though and my computer is a toaster, so I can say I've tried emulating them myself.

The graphics do noticeably improve between the entries though, and as the series has a chronology to it, I would recommend playing in release order for the best experience in both story and combat refinements (at least the PS2 entries, Koudelka sold poorly and critics gave it a lot of grief at the time, so while Shadow Hearts does follow the history of the prior game, it's made in a way where playing Koudelka isn't required; Koudelka's not bad either in my experience, but perhaps not what I'd have called worthy of $50-60 at launch).

Meant "can't say". I swear at times it's like what I'm writing ignores any " 't " that I try to put in.

You're a joke, fagsicle.

What game?

Drakengard

These guys always put me on edge.

Literally nothing can prepare you.

I played then N64 version which had the scarier Cutscence IMO. forgive the walls in the webm the emulator wasn't agreeable but I still got threw it.

Druiel is the jumpscare of diablo though. You enter his cave and suddenly the boss is all over your face and slowing you so running away is not even an option.

I played the game all the way up to the battle in the second game and you never saw them, then all of a sudden they're all over. They are so fucking scary.

Inb4 Hammerite Haunt.

Game wasn't the best, sure. But when playing at night and in a dark area, these fuckers could make me jump when they came out of nowhere, and left me unnerved while in some Vaults.

Only bothered me the first time I fought them, but I was wearing black iron set and wielding a gargoyle halberd, then my next run I did the same with a greatsword that could slam them.

What if i want to be molested?

Was gonna call you a fag, but the first time I played Fallout3 the Dunwich building creeped me the fuck out because of them. Then I exited the building and saw my first Deathclaw…

It's a shame the Dunwich building was the only interesting area in that entire shit fest.
New Vegas didn't have much better environmental design either aside from being closer to the original fallout as far as it not truly being a wasteland and removing level scaling.

Those fags are nothing compared to these guys.

nice one dude

And that is ?

LE PENUS WEENUS XDDDDDDDDDDD
OP IS A FAGGOT

Trees have cells and as such they are classified as living beings.
Did you even go to high School?

I know you have autism, but please try to contain yourself.

Foam has cells

why, my peenis weenus of course :)

AAAH THE FRENCH

hot

Yeah, they lose the spooky effect when you start to memorize where they're standing. It kinda makes me with they were positioned more randomly so being in the dark actually means something more

How the fuck did that happen in 1488?

SWEDEN, YES!

Say your prayers
Just make sure it's the right prayer

YOU HAVE AUTISM YYOU SMARMY HOMO FUCK

Things that unnerve me most are either tiny little skitter monsters or creatures that are unreasonably large. Like beyond kaiju large.

Would this count? They're actually smaller than they appear and like to pile on you.

The appearance has changed, the nature of the fight has not. He still requires the same tactics he did on release. I'm not into OSRS.

I can do that too; i'm not condemning you for playing it but it's just not my thing, too passive. I know why people like playing it but it's a lot of time investment that i'm not down with. There's also difference in playable content that i'd miss, though I understand oldschool has some things that even newscape doesn't.

I somehow missed the thermal scope on my first couple of playthroughs way back then.
Good times.

Fair enough, I guess if you've been playing since the old days and you just continued on with it creating a new character is annoying. I tried getting into Rs3 for some of the quests but I couldn't do it. Also for that matter how does Jad work anyway considering in Rs3 prayers only absorb half damage? Does Jad not hit through prayer or do you have to heal as well?

Nope, Jad works the same way he does in oldschool. Prayers block 100% of the damage he does if you're using the correct one when the attack hits. Visually, the tells are the same as they were in OS as well. I occasionally noticed ticks of 1 damage after it landed but I just brushed it off as an anomaly. To be honest with you though? Provided I made sure I prayed right, I didn't need to take a single piece of food for the whole gauntlet, with things like supreme overloads, super prayer renewal, and the Vampyrism aura, the latter of which I suppose you could argue is one of the negative features of RS3 to someone who is used to oldschool, making the game easier, etc. Using the safespot correctly and the occasional prayer, along with long cooldown HoTs, I never needed a single piece.

These fucks from Baroque.

Baroque…The Angel dungeon crawler PS2 game?
also came out on the wii?

Also this motherfucker messes me up everytime I run into him. The cheeky shit.

That shit is vulnerable to both Stop and Tornado lad

I really see no difference

Wanna be even more spooked? There are male and female trees. Meaning that even trees getted fucked over by other trees

Yes, I used to have very strong arachnophobia.

Pollen is plant cum.

(checked)
there's male and female cannabis, as well.

Shit, glad I'm not the only one who was scared shitless of them. I still kinda am tbh

That just looks ridiculous, it tries way too hard to have shock value.

There is a functional human brain perceiving everything happening around it, but it is not connected to the spinal column and thus cannot control its movements.

All insect enemies put me on edge. Not spiders though for some reason, but mostly flying insects ones that resembles wasps/hornets, flies and mosquitoes. Cazadores were my nightmare in New Vegas. The other type would be creatures that look like something out of The Thing like the Centaurs from Fallout. Even in the original when fighting these and other mutants I always imagine what it's like in my character's shoes and it unsettles me.

(trips!)
WHY MY PEANUS WEANUS OF COURSE MY PEENUS WEEEENUS

Never forget.

kinda hot imo

I stop being frighted by them after I sexualized them. When that happened, I couldn't wait to encounter one.

What are you doing with a picture of OP's mom?

These are the things that fuck me up.

Actually, here's a question that's probably relevant to this thread:
What are some games that revolve around parasites?

You could argue that it's unfair from a gameplay perspective, but within the game it's just perfect. You can't look very closely at them because you'd die, and being near them for more than a few seconds is a death sentence. And not being able to get a good look at them makes you unable to notice that it's the doll covered in dream messengers

parasite eve

Why is it that the first 3/4 of dark souls is a masterpiece and the last quarter is a dumpster fire?

metal gear solid V

triggered

unfortunately, I don't have anything for snorks on hand

wheres the inquisition when you need it

Maybe it's just me watching too much news, but the thumbnail looks like Merkel/Clinton and Soros faces.

Bloodrayne 1. Starts with spider things that vore people, but then you start fighting some humans and then shit gets fucked up when the parasite foes show up.

thank you, user.

I hate designs that were just made to look scary.

They have to be functional and just just have tentacles and spikes all over them.
Designers these days are just too lazy

but user, don't you like Lovecraft?!?!?

Lovecraft never described his monsters, and when he did it was incredibly non-specific and vague.
The reason for that was that he knew people would fill in the gaps with what they thought was scariest. The closest thing people can get to that in visual media is to make something that is personally horrific, and not just some generic alien guts monster. It should evoke some kind of specific fear, affect you psychologically.

Take this design, for instance. It looks unsettling. It's not just gross, it's not just big, it just looks wrong. It triggers primal fears within your brain. Doing horror like this is difficult outside of literature, because much less is left to the imagination, but it is possible.

I was making fun of the fact people who say "lovecraftian horror" actually mean "big blob of tentacles" most of the time.

How's that game called, OP?

What a feel.
I can never lurk these threads nor play horror games seriously anymore.

I should revise my previous statement, as Lovecraft did describe a number of his monsters. The tentacle part is vastly over-exaggerated, though. He often described them using vastly unique features, like the elder things with their weird mollusc-like radial symmetry, the mi-go with their fungus heads and lobster arms, the Yitheans with their barnacle-like asymmetry, and pretty much everything from the dream cycle was entirely original. IT HAD FUCKING SUPER CATS FROM SATURN!

He was clearly referencing this take though.

gif source?

The hallucinations in Fallout: Dust are fucking terrifying. I've only dealt with them once and I don't fancy doing it again. I've yet to see the Wendigo in game, so that's a plus.

the rolling attack is avoided by just moving backwards.

You take that back

Gregor.

boo

Huh, wouldnt think that jpeg would do better for a digital image.

Bubblegum Crisis, don't ask me which episode though. Shits fantastic.

I seem to recall something about that series being unfinished. Is that the case?

I can relate. There's one cave in Fallout 3 with a huge Ant queen. The camera bugged the fuck out and was so close to that fucking thing it made me shiver and turn the game off.

It's only sporadically though, for the most part I'm fine, but sometimes it simply unnerves me.

Each episode is pretty self contained, but they finished 6 of 8 episodes planned. They later tried a whole new series as the studios who made it split and it was HORRIBLE. I don't know if the two final eps were remade in it or not. I did see it but it was really bad.

Literally cannot play games with actual 8 legged spiders.

So many great games I'll never be able to play just fucking because of this. To hell with this shitty brain.

What said. Only the original is really worth it, 6 OVAs at 40 minutes each. It's a fun little romp with agreat Soundtrack.

So with each episode being self contained, does it not feel like there's something missing when you get done with what they did manage to make, or does it leave the viewer blueballed?

It's just episodic in nature, hell each epsiode has an entirely new OST. There's barely any over arching plotline and character progression is basically nonexistent, although there are some reoccuring characters. It's an animation spectacle from a bygone era. The only blueball feeling you might have afterwards is the craving for japanese sci-fi from the late 80s.

Ah, well I guess I've got something to add to the backlog. What prompted them to drop the last two episodes though? I assume money, but was there a particular cause?

I just checked my folder again, it's actually 8 episodes long. They planned 13 I roughly remember there being a legal problem between 2 companies. Iirc one of them had money issues and they didn't see eye to eye so they simply stopped production indefinitely.

Until years later of course, but like already mentioned, the sequel is utter shit.

Anything with multiple weird messed up eyes that utilises sound against you fucks with me so Houndeyes from Half Life always made me squirm, I fucking hated coming upon them around corners, their method of attack made me feel worse than if they'd had massive fuck-off teeth and came at me. I felt like I wanted to smash them out of existence but the mess I'd make doing so would be nearly as bad as them being alive.

Also Ascended Sleepers from Morrowind mainly because they're grossly mutated wrecks who don't get a good explanation for their presence or stature and bore little resemblance to anything around them.

…t-those things w-were eyes?!
Wow, you just gave me ptsd I never knew I had

Also this guy
<

Is a tad concerning when you run into him.

A compound one with that fleshy iris-looking flap of skin on the outside errrgh.

forgot pic

They were like something out of a nightmare to me then and still kind of are, they don't need claws or a mouthful of savage offensive edges, they can just burst whatever internal parts of you are most susceptible to sonic assault and they're always looking for something to pop.

So your only recourse it to attack them but they're so gross, like oversized grubs you feel like you want a full hazmat/bomb outfit before you'd go within 50 feet of them and a mech warrior suit before you did anything that would cause *them* to burst.

there is a skeleton inside you.

The fast zombies were kinda of an "oh shit" moment when they were introduced. They weren't really creepy until Episode 2 where they can survive being cut in half and start scurrying around like a cockroach. Noped the fuck out when I first saw that

I find houndeyes to be rather cute, probably has to do with the high pitched chihuahua barking they do

Why, yes, I do! I always brought one of these with me when I knew a Reaperfag was coming up.

End boss of Drakengard. What you may think is the final encounter, there's a boss beyond that.

It's Drakengard's OST itself that's the final boss.

Centaurs are always creepy. Insects are fine for me but mismash body parts I can't handle.

These little things. Having a shotgun can help but watching that snuff film was a bit much..

Could someone post the peenus weenus screencap? It makes me giggle for quite some time every time I see it, but never save it.

Ta.

The Houndeyes are cute. Most of the Xen aliens are cute.

pretty much every chimera you stumble by, sort of like going through a tour of fetishes ever to exist.

these things and that stupid sound.

It's the other way around. Mindflayers are slow and predictable, their grab is piss easy to dodge, and it's also easy to outdamage them.

GTA San Andreas
:^)

This shit right here. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

let it die

He never was unnerving to me, in fact, I felt kind of drawn to him every time I saw him, with a kind of morbid curiosity.
also

Screenshots are souvenirs of a good time I've had in a match and, when I stop playing, in the game itself.
And the compilation was just made on occasion.

It's trying for an uncanny appearance be vaguely resembling human features, the shock value of the BETA is their alien appearance with a touch of what resembles a perfectly human body part defying your expectation prior to what you were given. Even the onscreen Beta in history segments isn't remotely what the Beta look like during the visual novel. That little guy there isn't even the most notable his appearance is iconic because Marimo

Please kill yourself

Absolutely horrifying user.

This is why you never join Freedom.

Wasn't intentional just a passable pic of him, I played Homecoming for about 3 hours before losing any desire to continue so I don't believe I saw him in it. SH2 and The Room were the only ones I've played to completion.

I've seen some sickos on these here chans but this takes the cake lads.

Honestly the chaos beasts in the maw levels were equally as unnerving.

On one hand I want to know what the fuck was going on with the devs during part 3. Another part of me kinda likes that angels are fucking horrifying and wish there were more games and media that could be described as "sexual horror" aside from "BIG MONSTER IS GONNA FUCK YOU IN THE ASS"

This fuck unnerved me by the 'Oh shit this is the moment' factor
I mean,the song for some reason starts after the announcer says GO,don't know if it's on purpose or not.
I remember the first time I fought it I was decided that I will either win or lose all my stocks on him.

Then it's probably a good thing if you never played the Get A Life mod for Half Life 2. Among other things, that shit replaced the headcrab variants with different species of spiders: fast headcrabs were big jumping spiders; poison were small black widows that made a peculiar sound when idle; and then there were extra small spiders that were almost always in the vents (and the flashlight was a separate weapon, so I'd just end up clearing every dark alleyway and vent with grenades at every opportunity).

And the best fucking Spiderman game!