Is it just me or is this game not very RPGish except for giving you the possibility of assigning stats?

Is it just me or is this game not very RPGish except for giving you the possibility of assigning stats?
Don't get me wrong I'm really enjoying it, but it feels like a lot of the progress is locked behind having to exterminate certain enemies (Hightower quest, Deathclaws in the Warehouse, help the dude with the raiders at his farm, etc.)

So far I think the most modular quest I've found is the main one at the Necropolis, but even then I'm not sure if I could've gone through it by just talking.

Talking usually just offers a different end to the quest (like the blades quest in the boneyard or Gizmo), but it looks like the road to get to the end of it is pretty much always the same.

Are stats like Speech, science, or sneaking ever useful at some point?
I've still got some stuff to go through, but I filled all but one the locations available from the map screen, so I doubt I'm that far from finishing this.

Am I completely wrong? Does Fallout 2 fix this?

Other urls found in this thread:

nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-fixt-0-81alpha-july-5th-2015.194562/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fallout 2 barely fix it but expanded it if you think those are the issues of the first.
Still these two are tons better than anything that comes later, which includes Tactics and BoS or even NV.

Also, I'm running Fallout Fixt but I can't seem to resize my windowed game and as soon as I run it in fullscreen at anything but the lowest resolution I get mad cursor lag.
Any mods to fix this?

Should I play Tactics and BoS? I was planning to go through the mainline games except 4.

You can completely beat Fallout 1 and 2 without ever firing a shot. Complete pacifist route. Speech is the most important skill in 1 and 2 tag lockpicking as well in 2.

BoS is shit and should not be played. Tactics is sort of its own thing, and is more of a fallout-themed Jagged Alliance if you've ever played that.

Speech is useful, but in Fallout 1 & 2 it's not immediately apparent because the game doesn't telegraph to you what speech level is needed to succeed at a certain dialogue option as intended. That was introduced in Fallout 3 which Bethesda did.

You might be able to figure out the general options gained from having high Intelligence, but with things like Speech or Charisma (or other skills that may have an effect on dialogue choices) the effects of your skill level won't be shown to you in a Success type manner.

Also
Who the fuck told you to use that? Unofficial patch 1.3.5 with the High Res patch.

Make sure you use Killap's restoration patch for 2.

Have you leveled your Speech at all?

The game gives no indication of speech checks unless you pick a perk and sometimes you won't even get extra dialogue if your speech is low.
If you really want to play pacifist/non combatant then you'll need to accept the fact that you won't be able to do every quest.

I googled a guide and they suggested it

I recently found brotherhood of steel for a dollar. Played it coop with a friend. Game wasn't great but I found it had better dialogue, characters, and skill systems than Fallout 4 did. I know that's not saying much but it deserves far better when compared to the piece of trash that is fallout 4. Give it a shot if you want an mediocre action RPG with a fallout name slapped on it but not much more.

I'm at 60% I think
I even tried going back and replaying most of the conversations but most times they just ended up the exact same way.
Guess it's my bad

60% is pretty fuckin' low for a skill.

You should see my other skills

Yeah I mean with the exception of making your own character, multiple ways of solving quests, being able to go whatever and kill almost whoever this is a pretty poor example of an rpg playing game.

This was what I was talking about, it didn't feel like there were a lot of ways to complete quests.
Maybe if you read the rest of the OP you would've known.

Or kill nobody.

Except that's factually wrong and I'd known since I played through it many times with different characters doing things differently.

Well if you had fucking read the thread, a whole 10 posts, you would also know that people have already said it without being assblasted faggots about it

speech comes in handy every so often
science only comes in handy with tech stuff but sneaking is ALWAYS useful, jsut you gotta be a ways away

If this is what makes rpg, this game is an rpg.

60% skill late game in Fallout 1/2 for any skill you intend to use and focus on is really low. Some skills you won't really want to put points into but may still occasionally use (like First Aid), but if you try to be a jack of all trades with your skill points then you'll have a fairly tough time.

This isn't like Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas where tag skills aren't as important in the long run, in Fallout 1 & 2 it is very important which skills you choose to tag. And if you don't choose to tag Speech for example, then expect the dialogue options and results to reflect your choice.

You can beat the game in multiple ways, get different endings, etc. Not to mention how fast you complete the first game can effect the ending you get.

Except of it being weebshit.

I wouldn't say I'm in late game, I just finished the water chip quest and I'm still missing a lot of stuff that I just don't think I'm strong enough to do. I'm mostly grinding now because of that.

Also yeah, unfortunately I realized First Aid was shit after dumping 40 points into it

I think we found your problem.

Yeah I know, too late now anyways. I'm not restarting, might as well suck it up

I hope you're killing deathclaws near the gun runners. 20 minutes of that and you're set for life, and even that's overkill.

You're going to get very buttblasted unless you can turn around your skill placement. Picking skills wisely is extremely important from the get-go and trying to fix it as you go can be really fucking annoying. But good luck to you, are you going to play Fallout 2?

also this

What, is fixt bad? I figured it'd be the go to mod/patch shit now.

If anything, this should prove to you that Fallout is very much an RPG. You're seeing the effects of your decisions as a player to invest in something that isn't useful (and I'm honestly not sure what you were expecting from First Aid).

I mean, it seems pretty baffling to me that you would ask if Speech, Science, or Sneak are useful when you already packed First Aid with 40 skill points, drawing away from points that could have made those 3 skills more buffed up. If you want to be good at something and have it make a good (or passive) effect on the game, you've gotta invest in them.

By the way, I hope you didn't tag First Aid as a tag skill.

Yeah, should I also storm the military base while am at it?

I've got good small guns stats and a ton of money I'm going to invest in better armor, I should be able to make it.
Also yes, as soon as I'm done with this I'll move to Fallout 2

I saw I could use first aid on myself to heal me and get bonus EXP, thought it could be useful.
Also no, I picked small guns and something else, but I can't remember what.

To be honest now that I look at it my initial traits were absolute shit
what was I thinking

was this not playtested at all?

They added the option to tell fuckers to move in fallout 2. Try killing them.

well that's pretty shit

There's an odd pattern of threads and incoming retards coming on this board specifically to shit on Fallout 1. You're not that OP who got stuck in this game and couldn't figure out how to exit combat, are you?

Anyway to answer your question, different stats DO allow different playthroughs, but this game makes it a little less obvious unlike New Vegas because you don't have those parentheses before each dialogue option and your alternative options in quests aren't really marked in your pipboy.

I personally prefer Fallout 1 over Fallout 2, but Fallout 2 I think does offer more options in quests and lets you experiment a little more out in the world.

I think it's because these old PC crpgs just aren't very good. The game play is their worst element.

Hi, faganon

What? I've beaten fallout 1 and 2. Unlike JRPGs of the time the fallout games are genuinely bad games. It's fine if you like the story, but the combat scenarios are poorly designed, the game puts so much faith in its "post apocalyptic simulation" question that it forgets to have a good game at the forefront. I think I can describe the writing to be competent at best, but the game play an absolute failure.

Try to keep some enemies next to elevator and alive and start combat with them. They'll likely move out of the way.

That's because it's a fat turd of a game.

The sequel sucked so hard that the company went under.

Bethesda came in and saved that steaming pile with Fallout 3.

Then there was the Vegas shit (which also killed that studio).

Then we got the pinnacle of RPGs, Fallout 4.

If you can, return that shit and buy some Fallout 4 DLC!

I think you're on the wrong Holla Forums, buddy.

cmon user you gotta try harder

this, thank g-d the franchise was saved by todd, 3 and 4 are masterpieces.

They are, and fallout is a legitimately bad game. You can't even describe anything you like about it, instead you invent absurd narratives about how there's some odd pattern emerging rather than the truth about a game just not being particularly good is coming out.

Sorry you lost another PC game and it turns out a classic is actually pretty shit. I'll see you in the next planet escape torrent thread where you try to pretend that shit is good too.

I play RPG's, you play Japanese psuedo-RPGs. Your opinion means nothing to me. Stay inferior, cuckchan.

I think it's okay
Not incredible, but it works and I have been playing it for 25 hours, which really doesn't happen that often.

I think this may because you haven't played anything better

fallout isn't a true rpg like wizardry, ultima and dragon quest, stay delusional storyfag

This thread again, where idiot user pretends like Fallout isn't a good RPG to troll other idiot anons.

like?

How many JRPGs of that era allow you to target multiple parts of an enemy when you attack? How many JRPGs have the sheer amount of skills you can potentially learn and build up with your main character? Why is it that all the JRPGs back then that I played only allow you to steal items in combat? How many JRPGs allow you to choose which gender you play as? (gender also has a tangible effect on the game) How many JRPGs back then had voiceovers that weren't poorly done? How many JRPGs gave you multiple endings besides maybe Chrono Trigger?

Heck, I'll just give you one example. Remember Front Mission 3, that SquareSoft game with mechs? Yeah, you'd just shoot at enemies and the game would pick a random part of the mech you would hit. If you wanted to hit a certain part of the mech or enemy you were attacking, you'd have to save scum. Not only that, but your chances of hitting the enemy on a certain part are pretty much the same, unlike Fallout 1 & 2 where trying to hit certain body parts are much more difficult (like the head for example). It's unfortunate cus Front Mission 3 could have really used aimed attacks, so you could disable mechs and have enemies surrender so you could get more money selling their stuff. But unfortunately people love trolling WRPGs like they're somehow inferior games to JRPGs.

Is it just me or is there an actual organized effort to always have at least one Fallout thread on this board at any given time?

The most recent thread is a general discussion, not just bitching like this one and the one by the user who couldn't exit combat.

shit taste tbh fam, smdh

If after playing 1 and 2 and you start consider yourself a "Fan" , then do play Tactics and BoS.
If it's shit, you still have to play it till the end.
4 is must play despite being a hot target for "most" fallout players. One can argue all the shit fallout 4 offers but at the same time i can argue all about every other fallout shits out too and this is coming from a hardcore fan.

I liked all of them, flaws or whatnot, at the end of the day at least each and every one of them gives a different experience.

Nigga, except FF7, FF8, FF9, FFT, Front Mission 3, Legend of Mana and some others made during "SquareSoft" existence, any other JRPG been shit even uncomparable to Fallout 4 when it comes to "RPG".

Don't get me started on the Tales and other shitty post-SquareSoft RPGs.

FUCK YOU!

So do you think differently about the game now than when you first made the thread OP? You can't blame the game for you putting a whopping 40 points in a medical skill then wonder why other functions of the game aren't going so well for you.

?
The game went really well for me, I was never stuck and became overpowered really quickly.

I still think it's just okay, the writing is very lacking, but it's pretty fun.

Nigger you being shit at one game doesnt mean it's bad

Plus the game is full of all kinds of skill checks. You have only played the game with weapon skills and you think it has to be like fo4

I think you're confusing me with someone else user

Fixit includes 1.2, not 1.3.5

Wrong, Speech is highly important in FO1/2. Science has some uses at some points but it's not needed and you can raise that with books. Sneaking can be useful depending on the build but its mechanics aren't the most transparent

the thing with FO1, is that in some cases, the multiple ways of solving quests aren't as obvious as the sequels (FO2 included). Whether that's a good or bad thing, that's up to you

You mean that dumbed down jap wizardry rip-off?
Yeah, that's a tru rpg

I would generally say it's a good thing because it does encourage replayability, but I feel like a lot of the quests from Fo1 are just very weirdly put together and sometimes are hard to navigate.

It says a lot that I had doubts about there being other ways to get through it, somebody wouldn't know about the modularity of the quests unless someone had told him before.

Do you really think you could talk your way through a post-apocalyptic wasteland?

I'm sure someone with good enough charisma and int could do it

Where in the documentation does it say that Fixt doesn't include the unofficial fixes?

nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-fixt-0-81alpha-july-5th-2015.194562/

I don't think so. People desperate to survive wouldn't care how smooth or slick you were, they'd just shoot first. They wouldn't take the time to introduce themselves.

One guy who writes a blog about being in a civil war in, I believe, Serbia tells a very different story. Guys who can't talk their way out end up just as dead as the guys who don't realize shit has hit the fan. And if someone goes out of their way to introduce themselves it's usually preceded with a warning shot or done far away from where either party lives and both sides trying to squeeze information out of the other party while hiding as much information about themselves as possible.

And gossip is still a thing, but now it's really deadly and if you don't watch how people perceive you what they say about you will also wind up with you being dead.

It like it was only yesterday of that guy who supposedly slapped his girlfriend for liking fallout 3.