Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this trilogy wasn't that bad? Yes, misguided...

Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this trilogy wasn't that bad? Yes, misguided, and floundered in many areas but they had good intentions. It is NOT a disaster on the level of the star wars prequels.

I bet you fags will be looking back on this with fond memories after the amazon LOTR hits.

Who said it was bad?

Can we agree that all these fantasy series are written for pre-teen dorks and it's beyond pathetic to even associate with dragonfag shit as an adult?

Prequels are Kino you reddit menace.

Hobbit films are absolute pozzed disaster. Even fan edited versions that remove all the filler cancer, which are at least watchable, can't fix the mess this garbage heap turned out to be. Anyone who under any circumstances says they liked it should be kicked in the nuts and directed back to cuckchan for the normalfag soyboys they are.

It's fine. It didn't really need to exist, and it went on at least one film too long, but it's fine.

Hello Reddit

Dogshit.

Hello Reddit

Weird that you're using the same argument people use now to defend the prequels while shitting on them at the same time. The Hobbit, if you were to edit it with only the scenes from the book, was a good movie. What made it miserable was all the other shit tacked on to make it feel like the Lord of the Rings in terms of scope, when it was originally it's own story tacked on as a smaller prequel. All the tacked on scenes ranged on extremes in terms of quality, from complete shit to almost worthy of inclusion. The pandering in it is bad compared to its predecessor, but nothing compared to what Netflix is going to pull.

As with the prequels, it's a good story bogged down with a lot of problems. The difference is where those problems come from. Lucas' troubles came from him (rightfully) hating the obscene amounts of assfucking he got while making the OT and wanted to do things his own way. Hollywood, eternally hateful for him screwing them with ownership of the rights, merchandise, and not getting money from one of the biggest movie series in history due to Lucas' independent attitude, helped and amplified impossible to please fanboys that wanted to make the movies a religion shit on him until he gave up his life's work. Jackson got fucked by trusting Del Taco to actually put in more work than the lazy Mexican was used to doing. Turns out making a preplanned trilogy of that scope is a far harder deal than a small one-and-done arthouse garbage. Who knew. Jackson ended up having to perform 21-hour workdays to fix the mess Del Taco made and was in no position to fight off the studio that demanded half the stupid shit like romance, a third film, 3D, and so on. I'm not exactly sure who gets the blame for 48fps, but Jackson probably was responsible for the diversity crap. Remember, he helped make Neil Blomkampf or whatever his fucking name is.

Bottom line is that while there was a lot of make-or-break stuff in both prequel trilogies to turn people off, they weren't irredeemable trash. I guarantee you the Netflix show will be TFA/STD levels of shit that will make the sins of the Hobbit look like nothing in comparison.

the hobbit didn't fail to deliver on it's premise, which was an explanation for anakin turning to the dark side.
The hobbit delivered exactly what it promised

No it's really bad.

Luke's hairy feet in the OT was kind of distracting tbh.

I wish Hackson had done the Hobbit first, back when he was more humble and he didn't have the technology to enhance his autism, and the studios weren't as sure of a golden goose, and Chris was younger. If Hobbit had come out as one movie, a sort of proof-of-concept for LotR back in '98 or '99, I'm confident it would have been remembered as the best fantasy movie, and the best Tolkien adaptation. The Hobbit we got looked like a videogame mixed with vomit and bad fanfiction.

That's worded a bit poorly, but I think you're saying the prequels failed in their premise while the Hobbit did not. I disagree. The prequels had two premises, Anakin's fall and the destruction of the republic. Lucas has those base elements set up in every single movie, but they're not polished to the point where you're beaten over the head with it Nolan-style, for better or worse.

Anakin was a slave who did everything he could to rise above it and be free using his talent. The Jedi help him, but when the council takes him in, just train him as normal and continue to do nothing about the slaves on Tatooine. All the council seems to fucking do in the prequels is meddle in politics and search for the Sith. They're more concerned about their order and government than doing the right fucking thing and acting selflessly to help others. The council actively rides Anakin's ass about every little rule he must follow, yet proceeds to break them later. They're keepers of the peace not soldiers, but get involved in the clone wars. Be the servant to the republic, but spy on the chancellor. Don't execute an unarmed prisoner, unless he has "control of the courts and senate". Sheev was evil, but the council was so opportunist and blinded by dogma they failed to help the galaxy and their fellow Jedi. Lucas' point was to show how evil can come to power in manipulating seemingly unrelated incidences. Guardians of the peace more concerned with policy than doing their job cause heroes to quit and act out of self interest when they're needed most. That last part is important pottery as Obi-wan and Yoda were still operating the same in RotJ. Luke was the one to break the cycle and fix the sins of the father.

It would have been great because then the kids who grew up with the comfy Hobbit kino could then see the more mature LotR trilogy.

Yeah, and he lived a pretty cushy life as a slave. Watto was less abusive than some fathers I've seen. Right off the bat, George fails at setting his character's motivation right.
Literally nothing is mentioned of this in episode two or three. Anakin never voices this complaint, and we all know that he loves voicing complaints.
Considering they were undermined by the sith the whole time, they were damn right to be paranoid.
Well they did admit him past the age limit.

Just a bunch of pretentious words that mean nothing. If mace windu had killed palpatine then and there without arguing with anakin, he would have helped the galaxy more than any other Jedi had in a millenia.
The Jedi were a bit arrogant, but not even close to the definition of the word evil.

And then that was never the fucking point. It was supposed to be a good time before the Empire, until Lucas retroactively decided it was "the decline" of the republic already. Like so many works of fiction (LOTR is another prime example), they always take place after the "golden age", fucking lazy-ass writing.

Funny, I just tried to watch the Hobbit again this afternoon and had to turn it off.
It sucked.

Anakin's slavery is a tone decision considering the target audience and Lucas not wanting to make a Terminator sequel. He relented and people still weren't happy. It is mentioned in Episode II and III, with Anakin having his nightmares and talking to Padme about not having attachments. The Jedi failed to see the Sith because they stopped acting in the interests of good and the light side. They got involved with politics and became more interested in following the letter of the law rather than the spirit, and only when it was in their favor. As a result, they couldn't use the force as well and were blinded by a Sith lord right in front of them for years. Anakin was admitted because he was an extremely special case after the Sith reappeared after a thousand years. They only did it because their normal lapdog padawan was following his master's dying wish for once rather than bow to their teachings. The same padawan who defeated the first Sith in a millennium and could raise quite a stir in the order if he started protesting their actions. Plus, the prophecy was in their favor to preserve the order. Yoda's decision was pure politics and once again breaking the rules when it suited the council. I didn't say the Jedi were evil, but they had become corrupt, inefficient, and self serving. Grey Jedi who were willing do act selfishly when convenient and blurred the lines to where Anakin only saw selfishness. That was enough to cost them the republic and ushering in an age of darkness. It cumulated in Windu's decision to kill Sheev, but originated in their failure to teach Anakin by using him as a tool to defeat the Sith rather than a human being.

And Tolkien said if you make a prequel, revealing the mystery behind that time, you need to make a more interesting mystery even further on the horizon to compensate. Just showing the good times doesn't make for an interesting story. How can it even be a golden age when even the original movie brings up the clone wars happening?

Quite easily, actually. Clone Wars adventures (based on the genndy cartoon) was a lighthearted look at the clone wars.

it was fucking gay, end of story

Redditrashes like always, I want to nuke this website so badly.

Fuck you Sweetie I forgot to scrap my name from an other thread.

tripfagging is so 2017, signatures are the future of image boards.

####################################
(Where all light failsā€¦darkness prevails. - Me)
(Have you ever heard the definition of insanity? - Far Cry)

woah

LOTR was mediocre at best and could have been forgiven just for conveying the look of middle earth competently, unfortunately the Hobbit trilogy voids that

I saw Gandalf and I thought "who said the trilogy was bad?" and then I noticed that this is actually The Hobbit and not LotR. Yeah no, the Hobbit was boring, good looking garbage with no substance.

the theatrical cut was terrible and cringey as fuck. that goes for all 3 movies. However the directors cuts actually fleshed out the characters well and the resulting tension/conflicts became more meaningful. its really amazing how much better it is.

Give it a rest, mutt. It was an idiotic movie to market toys for children, and people retracted in disgust because of it.

You're starting to sound like a sodomite who can't figure out why people are disgusted at him being fucked by different old men every day. 'What is it they don't like, maybe it's the way I address complex societal issues or maybe IT'S MY RACE???'.

Holy mother of projection, Batman.

This was a disaster like none of which I've ever seen.
We ordered a nice champagne, and were served a coke zero.
I don't think Tolkien will ever stop rolling in his grave. He spins to this day.

Look at this shit

I don't see a problem