What are some dumb things you like in video games but have no idea why

What are some dumb things you like in video games but have no idea why

I don't know why. It's so fucking useless but I love that the option is there.

rewards you for beating the boss, although the outcome is the same you get a special scene

Although it gets a lot of shit, the original Kingdom Hearts did this pretty well with the Leon boss fight. In the game's story, Leon knocks Sora out to make sure the Heartless can't find him but you can actually beat him if you're careful. If you win, Sora still passes out due to exhaustion but Leon recognizes his talents and rewards you with an item once you leave Traverse Town.

What games do this? The only one I can think of is Chrono Trigger.

I like games that have a collectathon element to them, despite it clearly not being the focus. Luigi's Mansion is a great example. All those pointless different types of gems in your inventory. It screams video game and I love it, but the trend has really died off.

I got you one better

Jeanne in Bayonetta

I like hands and feets and shit, if they are well done and integrate well, also maps that are real not just a ui but like a map like arma or far cry.

being a floating ghost nigger sucks, but so do badly done appendages, its a craft

Call it lazy design but I've always found them charming for some reason. Like a new spin on something familiar.

meme

So fucking satisfying.

Dragon Age: Origins

that's why open world games suck

I'm a fucking monster.

got a boner from this

every Pokemon game.

nice

user, they've been shoehorning the most inane collectathon bullshit into nearly every AAA game for the last ~8 years.

yeah but those are not good collectathons

I bet you're excited for yooka "a flat plane with stupid shit to collect: the game" laylee

I wouldn't say excited, I haven't seen much of it.
But I want to try it, yes.

I also love mirror matches in fighting games, even though everyone I asked hates them.

Biker on HM

Chrono Cross, FF:T

No Fucking Way user that sounds orgasmic, what game.

Yeah, cutscenes are great fellow gamer!

xenoblade chronicles

swallow birdshot

Eat shit user that kind of attention to detail should be praised.

Thank you.

It's to simulate the slight push of an analog joystick on console controllers.

i was really into games like dungeon master etc when i was younger and still have tons of notebooks full of old maps somewhere in my storage unit, and this put a huge smile on my face

Ok i'm going to admit I went over board with that reaction I read wrong
when I read "rewatch cutscenes" I thought Flashback.

Swallow my cum.

Wild arms 2 Kanon does it. Fights you a few times iirc, then joins later. She's pretty badass.

push back attacks
I love throwing people off of heights

Ace Combat has all of these. Absolutely perfect if you ever need to capture footage but don't want to replay the entire game because you need a particular scene or scenario.

Whenever i play a jrpg and something moves the story forward i always go back to the places i had visited so far to talk to npc and see if their dialogs changed.
I can't help it.

Devil May Cry 3 & 4

dq iv ds version but it's not worth it imo
Super Mario RPG

I really like in souls games when you're talking to someone and walk away they make note of it.

Not the best example but pic related.

Why do her parents allow this?

Internet money

That's fucking depressing, little girl are for picking flower and playing with bunnies not for this shit. Her parents are fucking degenerates

Wonderful detail. More games should let you be a bastard to the player. Another example would be Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure where you can smash yourself into the walls.

Tree of Savior made many mistakes, but they figured out how to make healers effective fighters, to the point where several cleric-branched builds are top-tier DPS in the game.

When a game says "fuck it" for a moment and a plot point gives you completely OP powers for a short duration. It's not difficult, but it's a very deep satisfaction that doesn't ultimately come from the same cloth of playing a difficult game fantastically.

Like Ciri getting powered up during the ending sequence in Witcher 3. Just slicing through hordes of enemies like they were butter, and right after going through the same thing with Geralt as a normal-powered character, and the juxtaposition works so nicely.

"go get the artefact and avoid that one enemy camp, they are too strong for you"

Are there games like this ? Games that react to you doing stuff that is completely unrational/ seemingly impossible.

A lot of games have battles which you're supposed to lose, but can still beat. The first battle with unmasked Lowe in Trails in the Sky was one of these. It was so goddamn difficult that I was sure you can't beat it and gave up.

These needs to be there, its important.

Two words: cloth physics.

Acrid in Risk of Rain

Never in my life would I see someone consider a t-shirt and jeans impractical. I still know what you're saying, a man like Serious Sam really shouldn't be wearing that. I wonder if they ever brought it up in the games.

overwatch

Final Fantasy X for one battle

>you get upgrades but you can turn them off i.e. metroid

this bullshit is why i'm still subbed to ffxiv

>you get upgrades but you can't enable them all at once so you have to mix and match them i.e. metroid

In Metal Gear Rising, whenever your sword gets knocked out of your hand the lyrics stop.

The Portable Airstrike in Mercenaries was like the cherry on top on a great sundae.

If they bothered to give it the correct animation (read: wiggle).

what you fools don't understand that when you play as a female you are playing on the extreme high difficulty, but when you play as a male you are playing on casual level since you have full on armor sometimes.

Females also have high agility and dodge stats since they are more nimble and flexible. wearing heavy armor is clunky and only useful if you can carry the weight otherwise you are slow.

I like when there's no one and nothing to interact with for long hours of gameplay. Sounds stupid enough.

That serious bomb symbol makes him a walking target and those chuck taylors would wear out real fast with all the running.

Also, they tend to use their sexy looks as a means of distraction for male enemies. That's Mai Shiranui's whole schtick right there.

Modern saints row has the good and classic tradition of trying to be as edgy as possible, if only they paired it with good gameplay.

I don't like any of the saints games personally. i've been playing it on and off for like 2 years now and still haven't beat the game. only wish it had hd textures on clothes and better looking clothes.

On the contrary I hate
because such things may lock you out of stuff until consequent playthroughs and it doesn't feel like a reward most of the time, it feels like a bullshit-right way of doing it in the first place.

I am Setsuna.

">Drive."

Shadow of mordor had all the enemy comment on how you killed or injure the boss….the nemesis system of that game was worth enduring the shit story

Abe trilogy was so good on letting you feel like shit for not helping muddokon

what the fuck happened

I thought he was just another gook at first. He was a fine opponent.

Fuck if I know user. I really hoped shit like AC or Batman or sniper elite any game actually would have implemented that system….would have brought a little of fresh air on the game style. But noooo we are here just to suffer

Mental doesn't rely on accuracy to defeat his enemies, since he can throw multiple armies at people without any trouble. The only issue he has is that Sam is capable of killing said armies by himself. Sam himself has an implanted AI that gives him directions and information, while he carries a couple of pistols that have infinite ammo. Very likely his shoes are designed to absorb shock and remain comfortable forever.

Is there any fighting styles or martial arts that go further than that? I mean like a martial art that requires an enemy to have an erection, or poking at pressure points that cause orgasm, or a lewd version of Judo that performs dodges and counterattacks that make the opponent grope you instead of hitting you?

I know Mount and Blade Bannerlord is confirmed to have permanently killable characters. I think it might be possible for the game to create new characters over time, or after some fief in a losing battle or in prison kicks the bucket.

That game was enjoyable and somehow challenging if you level off the soldiers, otherwise you end up OP as fuck and end up like the faggot of jewtube that can beat it without watching the screen

Obviously not you cunt

Giant boss in a 2d platformer is just two hands and a head that you have to hit

Even warband had people comment on what you were doing, like beating a lord on battle or winning a tournament but was mostly a one liner and a drop/increase in relationship….literally a waste. Imagine you wage war against the swadian, sack a couple of villages, hang the lord and rape the lady but leave the prince alive even if burn everyone fears you but the prince is now afraid of fire and actively looking revenge against you following your movement around the map

Someone need to suggest those kebabs to implement a nemesis system in the game

mgsv's story sucked dude

Plenty of fighting games man.

That's like saying Final Fantasy VII would also qualify because Sephiroth joined your battle for a few fights as well.

Metal Gear Rising as DLC it's actually worth it

Tis shit is great too

and then picks it up when youre close

Not even DLC if you're not playing on a console, PC version has all DLC by default. Just need to put the Konami code in on the title screen with a controller.

i want to fug guilmon in the butthole

>they fucking fade away

How does such happen?

Tales of Symphonia

I belive there are predetermined moments in fights when that occurs. You should play the game user. It's great.

I have and I absolutely love it , but the only time my blade got knocked out was with my clash with Senior Armstrong, can it happen anywhere else?

Your sword can get knocked out when fighting Armstrong yes.
but the lyrics also stop when you knock Sam's sword out of his hands.

I never noticed that

this is one of the little things that I loved from Dragons Dogma

You have to sacrifice Zellos to get Kratros, though.

Well, it's not like they couldn't have done that
It was either that or not feature the player in cutscenes at all

Halo Reach

Customizing my Spartan Barbie was something I really did enjoy.

Yeah forgot to mention that

Reach had fucking top tier armor

Helmet obscuring hud. I know a lot of people here hate it but I really enjoy it, and wish more games had it.

I really liked the old Hawken interface.
They sadly changed it.

In-game UIs in general make me happy. Dead Space having the ammo counter on weapons and the health bar on your characters back was a nice touch.
Doom 3 had the ammo counters on a few weapons as well. More games should do this.
looks nice too.

On this theme, I enjoy it when an ingame HUD occasionally reflects the player character's eyes.

If done well, I don't mind. Shit like the first one, I don't like much, but Republic Commando was the shit.

If it wasn't a 3rd person game, it'd probably work better. As it was, a lot of Dead Space's menus were a pain in the ass to navigate.

It's freaky to look at this image now that I know your HUD in Metroid Prime is just a giant texture floating in front of you, which means there's a giant pair of eyeballs staring at you.

NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE DUMB
FUCK YOU FOR CALLING THEM DUMB
FUCK YOU TO HELL
FUCK YOUR MOTHER

What a waste of dubs.

Dumb = trivial.

like your mother's soul

If you were stuck in a room, his eyes would look toward whatever object you needed to interact with to continue.

That webm is quare funny.

Goddamnit I love Atelier Ayesha

>YOU OBTAIN RED HARE

Worth it.

Western games will never do this, but I guess that doesn't matter since western girls are ugly anyway.

It's regularly done from what I hear to ensure some shitty model value or some shit. They don't go the extra mile to super-customize design on underwear, but it's present.

See also: the devs that went overboard designing vajayjay in Shitdogs 2.

JSRF

never ever

I feel like this happens kind of often, especially with not shit games

Still not enough though
More often you get fights you're supposed to win but then the cutscene afterwards shows you getting your ass kicked or just barely passing by

that's every game now fortunately / unfortunately

i think its because the tools to do so are more accessible now? or processing power on consoles is high enough where its not as big of a performance drain? i'm not sure, but it seems like every game that comes out has it standard

There's a part in Dragon Age: Origins where a fairly big band of guards attacks you. If you lose you get captured and your companions have to rescue you, if you don't you just escape.

looking at you Witcher 3 / MGSV

or in Witcher 3's case - dynamic beard growing

Streets of Rage 3

And the damn video plays back in my head.

Obamacare.png

Grimrock 2 has the same thing, and a MUCH larger map that requires more backtracking and more puzzle solutions hidden in other areas. It also has two other optional difficulty modifiers in addition to the standard "easy medium hard" that only changes damage numbers: One Use Crystals (blue crystals never come back, and since they're the only way to revive dead party members other than the very very rare and hard-to-brew Resurection Potion, and even rarer Blue Crystal Shard, this can be very hampering) and No Manual Save (No quicksaving allowed, saves only happen at blue crystals). It's one hell of a challenge if you play with all three on.

"If you ever need to capture footage"

Top kek

I might sound stupid but I really appreciate when games have a dancing animation.
Bonus point if the credits involve all the characters dacing

muh dick

too bad CA lessened it in sequels, now the best I got is CK2

I thought that was an oversized cheese grater at first.
So is the boy dead?

bonus points for "and thank you, the player"
I kind of miss when the credits roll was something you had to actually play the game to see.

But console controllers have analog joysticks.

Jet Set Radio

That or

what game

What game?

That's what he said.

It's Magical Pop'n

Deus Ex modeled the female characters' panties. I know this because the 3D renderer I had to use to get the to run at a decent frame rate on the toaster I originally played it on caused a massive amount of clipping. The lower half of every skirt-wearing character would constantly clip through said skirt. They all had generic white panties, except that Australian slut how asks you for money outside of that club in Hong Kong. She was wearing a black thong for some reason.

SOUUUUUUL CALIBER

Alright on Topic.

Wew.

Full picture please

so cool the first time i found that max health-up heart at the left edge of Wire Sponge's stage in megaman X2

Witcher 3, sorta.

The gore mechanics in it are amazing, and Geralt even wonders out loud why people fuck with an armed witcher.

possibly speaking of Prototype

I had plenty of those for personal use and I never died from pumping myself full of those during the final boss

believe it or not user I don't have it
but godamn I wanna fuck guilmon

Sarevok

>You can play as a girl

This particular mission has just about all those things except letting you play as a grill, though the player character's identity is usually kept to a minimum in Ace Combat games.
>As recent allies, you all join together and sing that song
These games are insane power trips, and that's only where it begins.

Pokemon and Persona, I'm looking at you.

Sword of Etheria also does this.

I believe you can also loot an excellent unique 2H sword if you win the fight. The only other way was to charm the NPC somehow.

Can you provide some examples from both games?

Can you give me some examples from both games?

Why don't more games do this shit.

I want this and I didn't even know I wanted this.

And especially

Does anyone else do this? It's my perfect idling habit when I'm doing things quickly and have to wait for a bit and maintain momentum
Generally I mean during gameplay, but MGS gets points for letting you do it in the Survival Viewer, AND it makes him puke.

Yes
YES

Bonus points for having to maintain a specific rotation speed or else the character will go back to running in circles

One of the Beauty Trainers, Beach tranny p3, Armoury store trannies p2, and the Subaru shaman p2, and some other shit.

I don't know why, but I love this. With the exception of the Wolverine NES game there is never a real reason to not pop them. However, just being able to retract or pop his claws makes me feel comfy as fuck.

i might accuse these threads of datamining, but i know they're not because devs rarely do any of this stuff :^)

To stay on topic, I have a colossal boner for theme music during final boss fight. I swear I'll develop a shitty amateur game just so I can do that.

Grenade spam the game

jesus christ have we seriously reached the point where asking what people like is considered to be fucking corporate espionage

X-men Origins Wolverine had down on the D-pad as the Snikt button.

is 100% legal age women holding empty toilet paper rolls a fetish in japan?

Jade empire

100% Orange Juice

Yeah like a decade ago. Nothing new here.

I made a thread asking people if they would like to see a GC Mini at some point and it got deleted because some dumbfuck vol thought it was datamining.

Castlevania symphony of the night and order of ecclesia do that by letting you play with richter belmont and albus.

I swear nothing makes a brawler more fun than breaking someone on something breakable.

in ass creed throwing these begging wenches into these wooden constructions was quite fun

that's a pretty rad skeleton hiding in the background

It's a real shame that Sigma players had they're blood censored.

I wish more people besides Rare did this

Some of my favourites are:
"A robot gun? What are you? Some kind of cheater?"
"Nice backpack, Faggot!"

God damn do I love this.

Unique idle animations depending on what weapon is equipped.
The little compass on the assault rifle in halo ce
No black people who are supposed to be taken seriously

Ratchet and Clank tried to do that with you getting skill points for doing certain tasks.

Idle animations that would make for awful combat stances and almost certainly get you killed in real life. Jojo games are good examples of this. I just like seeing something other than "standing straight" or "hunched over slightly with fists/weapon raised".

People love to bitch about time limits but I like when there's actually some source of tension and drive in more open ended games. Otherwise they tend to feel aimless.

I noticed it's mostly older games that have it, most modern games seem to have thrown the very idea of cheats away unless they have a developer console.

buying DLC

deal with it you want more game you gotta pay for more game

You must be fun at parties.

Perfection.

The best fights in Bayonetta are the Jeanne fights, Balder, and Rodin. The worst part of the Jeanne fights is the best one is after 12 minutes of Space Harrier.

FF13-2 did this quite a bit. The bosses just get up when you beat them. Later on you get an ability that lets you keep fighting them and they become ridiculously strong.

Pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes fucking suck though. Fuck you MGR for not letting me play as Mariachi Raiden or Business Raiden through the cutscenes.

Iji, if you don't kill anyone then enemies start wondering what you're doing with all the ammo you're collecting.

nice
Star Ocean 2
if you beat DIAS he gives you a sword he was having made and its actually so rare that you can never find it or make it any other way, and it is a requirement for crafting the strongest sword in the game

I always love this

I always love this

WHAT GAME

Iji. There's a boss you fight multiple times. If you manage to skip him (in a rather funny way), he goes and kills himself out of shame.

Resistance was good for doing this

best addition to AC: Brotherhood

Is that something new in the remake? In the original, even if you beat him with the instant death buff, it'd still count as you losing; you'd get the sword from the old man, but, as i recall, only if you talked to him before you left town.

I love this so much. Last time I saw it was in Deception.

We need so much more of this holy shit.

The only time I ever saw that is in Deus Ex HR, if you don't get that update.
That game was pretty mediocre, but that part was fantastic.

also

Which game?
It better not be a TRPG or something.

WASTED did this for one of the bosses.

I will never get tired of these.

Oh god LP2 was fucking amazing for this
Too bad the game's dead, especially the competitive multiplayer, so you can't really do any of it anymore
When I found out two of the mechs could combine and become a two-player co-op monstrosity, I creamed my jeans

its called inverse kinematics

awww sheeeit
thanks user

its like a real fight!

I never see this anymore. How hard is it to implement?

why is it done so little?

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption took this minor detail even further. Her face reflection appears whenever you use the scan visor and her eyes will follow the Wii Remote pointer around the screen. And when you progress through the story Samus gets more and more corrupted by Phazon, it will cause her face reflection to slowly change with more and more "phazon blue" colored blood vessels appearing and one of her eyes will get more unnaturally bluer.

Also while on the topic of Metroid Prime, I always like the little "warning meter" part of her HUD and in MP3 (and I think the trilogy editions of the first two games), there are 4 little rectangular lights inside the top of helmet are actually the battery meter indicators for the Wii Remote. (the 4 blue rectangles seen at the top of image above her energy/health bar in the HUD that posted)

Also loved how Smash Bros 3DS had a constant battery meter and clock display tucked away on the lower screen that is always there.