Was Duke Nukem forever really that bad? Or did game reviewers and journalists demonized it for pro masculinity...

Was Duke Nukem forever really that bad? Or did game reviewers and journalists demonized it for pro masculinity, patroiticism anti-political correctness stance? Most video reviews don't seem to even mention gameplay.

Its was unremarkably average, DN3D was a fluke anyways.

It wasn't bad, but pretty much nailed it down. It was a very average console game, regardless of what platform you played it on.

It was a gallery of copypasting from other games from the last fifteen years, since George Broussard is an unoriginal hack who can't come up with any good ideas of his own.

The multiplayer was surprisingly good, though.

It's far from the "LOL WORST GAME EVER MADE XDDDD" meme it has become, but that doesn't mean it's really a good game either. It's a mediocre shooter with a fun personality. If your a big Duke fan you'll probably love it, if not then there are better shooters to play.

It was disappointing. We waited years and years for it to the point it became a stock meme of "never ever" then came out to the worst disappointment since Fable.

It varies between a 4-6/10 throughout the game if you went in without expectations. Add in the hype and you'll end up killing yourself at the final boss.

I wouldn't be surprised if reviewers and journos panned it for the wrong reasons, but it was still lousy as fuck. As I understood it it was a linear level design with a retarded halo-esque combat system. Compared to Duke Nukem 3D, it's some fucking awful shit alright.

What you're asking is a bit like asking whether new Thief is really that bad? Who knows, maybe in its own right it was merely mediocre by the standards of today's faggots, but compared to the last games of its franchise and genre, it is an abomination.

I didn't notice any significant difference between Duke Nukem Forever and DN3D apart from the graphics and 2 weapon limit.

The gameplay and humor were basically the same.

Makes me think all of its detractors were either blinded by nostalgia or expected the best game ever simply because it had a long development cycle.

It was average, and it is hard. The quality also starts to dwindle near the end, sinbce it's basically a patch up job by gearbox. The over the top machismo certainly wasn't one of it's bad points though, just a bunch of over sensitive faggots whom don't like hot twins giving them a blow job while you play a a game about yourself.

The game was just plain bad and you damn well know it

It was fucking trash and the journo SJW bullshit certainly had to do with the bad reviews along with the years of expectation.
Anyone who defends this fucking garbage however should be shot, its not average, its unfinished recycled console trash.

It was a disappointment after the wait.

The 2 gun limit was shit. The "ego" health bar was shit. The shrunken RC car driving stage was shit. The DRM doubling the game's install size was shit(my pirated copy took up less than 5 GB, while the system requirements list a necessary 10GB of space needed).

It wasn't enough like D3D to be good.

Oh no, we're not doing this shit.
Yes, DNF was shit. It took over a decade to make and it was laughably bad.

While we're talking about rebooted DN, were Wolfenstein The New Order and Bad Blood worth a pirate?
Hell, I haven't even played the other Wolfenstein reboot they did after Tides of War.

Should I play those 3, or are they just generic shooters?

It was thoroughly average, which was probably the worst thing it could be. Being remarkably something would probably have helped it either cementing it as a Superman 64 type classic or actually the return of the DOUK. As it is, it's kind of just sad.

Those golden statues totally had modeled vagina tho lol

Ignore bait flag.

Checked.

I enjoyed the Duke Burger level in DNF

Wolfenstein was pretty shit, it just felt like every other shooter but without regenerating health, nothing about it was special or standout apart from the setting.

I remember still being in the weak ass tutorial after playing for an hour. I didn't make it past that. If that doesn't turn you away, I see the Duke Nukem Forever Collection is $40 right now. Randy would love your money.

Duke was a product of pure, distilled 90's, and in the 90's he should have stayed.

LOL

Thats called an installation file you retard.

This is how you spot someone who is a redditor.
Skipping the faggotry at the start which is already enough, the average user isn't afraid of calling a shit game shit whereas the people you normally see on places such as reddit, ign or gamefaqs normally say things such as "this game has X number of bad things, it's so bland and average!"

it was really that bad. i don't know what 3dr actually had created, although some of the levels that belong in the dustbin of history (like Duke Burger) were probably theirs – but DNF was a Gearbox game with a Duke veneer and no amount of facile political incorectness makes a Gearbox game worth playing.

the Wolf reboots are about Magic Jew Science being used by a blonde haired, blue eyes Jew to defeat the evil Nazis. If you're going to find a place to tell you 'yeah, those games are worth playing' it won't be fullchan.
The gameplay is pretty dull, to boot.
The Wolfenstein reboot just called Wolfenstein is kinda fun, and has some neat esotericism that makes TNO look super ham-handed.

Ego regenerating health bar might be shit as a mechanic, but the theme is entirely in keeping with Duke's persona, and is thus thematically appropriate.
The game in general is meme-tier shit, but it was just tacky enough to pull it off IMO.
The maps were hot garbage, set pieces atrocious, but at least it was Duke.

It does feel like a FPS from the 90s. You can easily tell they havent changed much since they started working on it other than the graphics.

It was killed by it's own hype after how many years of dev hell again? This is also the exact reason for why Valve will never release HL3, they know it will be a failure no matter what they do

That bad. I bought it from Humble Bundle to check it. It was bad. But skin on twins legs had this nice texture…

No, duke was plain bad. Long load times, bad optimizations, linear corridors, turret sections that were horrendous, small numbers of enemies. It had every bad trait of modern FPS.

Duke nukem forever isn't outright shit though, it just doesn't stand out in any way.

Yes, it was.
"level design" is corridors instead of huge open levels with both vertical and horizontal exploration, since jetpacks do not exist as active items there are exactly zero chances of speedrunning levels like in 3d, since level design was piss poor there were almost zero secrets and exploration, sometimes a "secret" was just a room connected to the said corridors.
Driving sequences were boring in HL2 when it came and they were even more redundant and boring in fucking 2012 or whatever and they last for way too long.
The game had no humor like old games, only pointing at pop culture references, worst example being the part when you leave the hotel and Duke says that power armor is for pussies, only to proceed to spend the next six hours hiding behind dumpsters and chest high walls, you know, like a pussy.
QTS's.
Two weapon limit in a game that was always about being free to take and use whatever gun you want, whenever you want and just go to town, weapons and shooting felt like ass and all the "fun" weapons like freezegun and shrinkgun were usable for an entire minute.
Turret sections.
Level design that makes no sense in general, like what was the fucking point of a strip club dream sequence with no strippers, or the Prey cave that gave me eye cancer with human tits hanging from walls made off flesh.
Minute long loading times on release, John St. John phoning it in and not giving a fuck and game looking and sounding like absolute dogshit didn't help either.
I'm just glad that the dream is over now, and HLfags have my sympathy as they will go thru the same thing.

No you stupid niggers it was just fucking bad. End of story. Did you even play it? Call of Duty is mediocre because there's nothing offensively bad about it but it's not very good and at least it plays well, something that's to be expected of a video game. DNF howere is bad in every way. Is it the worst game ever? No, definitely not. Does that make it "average"? Fuck no.

this. the levels are the worst part. a duke game with CoD one-way-hall-ways, come the fuck on. they aren't even good one way hallways.

I heard the multiplayer was ok though?
Kind of reminded me of quake 3 arena or Unreal tournament (less so the later)

I like the driving in HL2. fun driving physics, some light exploration, gunshootin. DNF and Rage tacked on driving is miserable.

No, it was an early target of SJW outrage when the infection wasn't as apparent. Remember that one of the main vectors of attack were its sexist attitudes. But kids who never knew Duke 3D in the first place, and other tryhards, wouldn't care and jump on the hate bandwagon just to feel smarter.

That said, it's an evidently old game and the 360 port was several degrees worse. If you think of it as a contemporary of Prey, it holds up well. My main gripe with it, was that it was too long and empty: a director's cut version that's 75% shorter, with just the best parts crammed up and no weapon limit, would be decent.

Cod to my knowledge has been fairly consistent with making those hallways feel exciting at least.

A first person shooter is 25% mechanics, 70% level design, ans 5% everything else. You need great level design and everyone wanted it to be like duke3d with its levels and not a rehash of the last 10 years of shooters starring duke nukem.

Combining the expectations of good levels with the delivery of the opposite of what everyone wanted did cement the game in shit territory. The end result is terribly uninspired, bland corridors with flat stop and pop shooting sequences, gimmicky bosses and poorly implemented level mechanics that leaves the game feeling like a bland mess of corridors and no outstanding game play moments.

The closest it got was the duke burger segment which was still under explored in all its potential.

It was an awful console port. There's no way it comes off as average, it was a bad game.

Hello peasant

The selling point of Duke 3D were the realistic locales and sprawling levels ("it's like you can wherever you want!" t. 90s kid). Plus humor. That doesn't mean you can't change the formula and not get the same results: keyhunts in levels already emptied of enemies were never fun. But you prefer feeling le leet gamr because plebbit told you what's good and must be done.

You are the one arguing like a plebbitor here. Load times were pretty bad for DNF and that is not negotiable even with high end rigs.
Have you even played the game to sprout that bullshit that you are saying here? Changing the formula ? The levels were linear as fuck, there was little to no exploration. Bosses were absolute sponges. Turret sections were plain bad.

I played it from start to finish on release and I can barely remember a damn thing about it past the opening scenes, the strip club dream and Duke burger. I think there was a few levels on a dam of some sort, but yeah.

It wasn't broken or anything, just intensely mundane. Even with the added challenge of carrying Duke's original gold pistol from start to finish which was a pain since originally you could only carry two weapons at a time.

The single player mode was rather dull and uninteresting. The levels were far more linear than in duke 3D. Less exploring and secret finding and more, go here do this, repeat.

The vehicle sections could have been interesting, but they fell quite flat due to a lack of decent musical cues, and uninteresting environments. Also, the motorcycle segments teased in the 2001 trailer was glaringly absent.

The multiplayer was surprisingly good. It was simple, used a server browser, and recaptured a small sense of the classic duke3d multiplayer, only at a slightly slower pace. One of my only gripes was a distinct lack of bots for the multiplayer, meaning some games could end up boringly empty.

Sessler is such a fucking cuck!

Forever would have been a good game if it was released when it should, not fucking 10 years later. At least Duke's lines were better than some of the PS1 games.
It was just like Doom4, it tried to be a 90's FPS and it was mediocre at best, then everyone went back to classic Doom and Duke3D.

You don't remember the level full of naked women getting raped and impregnated by aliens?

nuDood was pretty good, actually. As long as you played it on nightmare it got rid of a lot of the crutches and pushed graffix like the old id games.

I always hear one of its DLCs actually being good, never tried it myself though. Otherwise I remember the game just being boring to me and being disappointed by the lack of girls

Btw, I should add, the multiplayer was total shit. A poor imitation of UT of all things which is rape levels close to Sanic in Mario games.

honestly multiplayer was the best part of DNF

eDuke32 proper multi support never

Primarily this, but the plot is legitimately

I dunno what everyone's talking about, The New Order and Bad Blood were pretty cool .The start of both games are dull, but they get better while you continue playing.

They also made the MC hang out in the sewer, do drugs with a completely useless nigger, bang his girl like a savage, and have to be saved by the Jews.

Oh yeah, and you find the twins in there too. Game is bad enough to make you forget actual fanservice.

It wasnt as bad as the jurnos claimed it was. Still pretty bad though.

Duke Nukem Manhattan Project managed to incorporate ego into a health gauge without making it regenerating health. You can gain ego through powerups (+10 or +100), by killing enemies (boot kills are doubled) and by rescuing babes. What's cool is that if you can boost it really high the game rewards you (if I remember right, a double damage item at 250, and full ammo at 500).

You're one of those assholes who loves Doom 4 because Anita said mean things about it, aren't you? Can you even form your own opinions?

Manhattan Project is great.

and you call ME a retard?

(checked)
I think you are exaggerating a bit, I agree with Duke wasn't really "bad" compared to contemporary FPS on the market at the time. It's basically Bulletstorm but with Duke Nukem. The same generic style over substance crap killing the entire genre. Duke Nukem forever was equal to Wolfenstein the new order in terms of quality. Both are trash, but one was praised to the high heavens and the other was trashed mainly due to leftist politics. Ultimately, at the end of the day stick with Build Engine Games, Quake Maps or Doom wads if you are looking for Good FPS because all FPS 2001+ are shit.

You take that back, nigger.

DNF was the fluke, caused by a pre-Kickstarter example of developers with swollen heads and insufficient publisher oversight.

It was nothing special, just like Daikatana, people expected too much from the game.

At it's core it's a mix between Halo and HL2 with a Duke skin over it, it can be fun at times but overall it's just mediocre (unless you are playing the console ports, which are genuinely shit).

Duke Says it best himself in Webm related
except for the fact that after 12 years it wasn't good.
I was able to enjoy parts of DNF for Duke himself but the game is incredibly Mediocre.

Back to reddit

Blood was miles better than DN3D, and when I played DN3D before playing blood I thought it was unbelievably shit- it sounds like a giant circle jerk about a really shitty game
Blood had more going for it, not sure about the others

Not awful, but definitely average/borderline-mediocre. Has some neat level design here and there but besides that nothing really stands out besides it's notorious development history.

Nobody's falling for your little fundraiser.

Its bland as fuck, and considering Brussard was a retard to keep dump builds as soon as he played a game he liked and wanted a mechanic from that in he deserved the shit he got.

It wasn't good. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but hot damn was it trying to be. It was one gigantic mess of a million different things, all slapped together into one big shitheap that spun your head around because nothing meshed with anything else.

All they had to do was take the spirit of D3D and make a modern game out of it. Not fucking difficult. But nooooo, they had to add vehicles, weapon limitations, and retarded gameplay sequences.

He use to be pretty funny on x-play back in the day

^^me too^^

I always hate this little addendum people make. If most of the market is terrible, being better isn't much of an accomplishment. There are a ton of good fps games that have been released years ago, we don't have to settle for "not that bad" when those games are perfectly attainable and playable.

This point will always remind me of Yahtzee's Doom 3 reviews, where when it initially came out he lambasted it as a shallow System Shock-knockoff trying to be a Doom game using every problematic "advancement" of then-modern FPSs. Then years later in the BFG Edition review, he retrospectively held it up as the last gasp of FPSs that actually play anything like FPSs, head and shoulders above anything on the market at the time.

All those games were forgettable and mediocre
Those weren't Duke Nukem games
Those weren't Duke Nukem games either and RoTT is pretty bland and bad, especially when compared to Doom since it runs on the Wolf 3D engine
All garbage, there's a reason nobody talks about them. Forgettable console titles, i played them so i should know
Yes
No

THEN DON'T DEFEND CONTEMPORARY VIDEO GAMES LIKE FINAL FANTASY 7 or DOOM 3 YOU FUCKING HYPOCRITE! IT IS GOSPEL THAT ALL VIDEO GAMES AFTER 1996 ARE OBJECTIVELY SHIT

but seriously the entire point was to point to the fact that politics was the only meaningful difference between DOOTNUDEM forever and Awoooonstein the NuOrder

That, and a ton of hype, since Wolf fans had been fed a steady diet of RtCW & ET while Duke was in limbo.

I never actually played it. I did play Duke Nukem 3D a lot a long time ago, though, and that was awesome.

But I heard that it's actually an okay game, but maybe that is not enough for Duke Nukem specifically.

The faggots seem to think that it's the worst game ever made, but I might enjoy it if I play it. I enjoyed flying through the rings in Superman, so I should be autistic enough to enjoy it even if it's just a 5/10.

It has a few neat stuff but it's a fucking mess brought down by wanting to adhere to modern FPS standards for no fucking reason and badness in key areas (base gameplay / level design / graphics)
If it had been released alongside DOOM 3 / Quake 4 with a few key changes it probably would have been received about the same way as those (ok / meh game but atrocious sequel).

It was fine but obviously unable to match up the hype. Even if there hadn't been hype it would still have been a bit bland.

no it fucking wasn't. i agree that it wasn't the OMG WORST GAME EVER everyone likes to say it was, but it was still piss-poor. it's bland, it's boring, the level design fucking sucks, the RC car parts sucked turbodick, the weapons were dull, the entire thing needed a new lead writer and a total rewrite

the levels where you're shrunk were a blast though, i really liked those

That's more or less what I meant by fine: a fun little time waster you'll play once and likely never again (maybe years down the road if you get bored). That's not what Duke should be but that's what it was.

The game was on the Doom 3 engine, user, and had forced vehicle missions. It was shit.

The side scrolling DN games were alright, but vastly different from DN3D. George Broussard is a hack though, most definitely.

I thought it was made with Unreal 3 engine.

Good eye

It looks like Doom 3, is what I mean. Just, the lack of effort is evident. Gearbox bought the IP because Pitchford thought it would be an easy way to turn a profit.

I don't remember him ever reviewing Doom 3 by itself. Only briefly mentioning it in Painkiller, then doing a part about BFG Edition in MoH: Warfighter.

If you can enjoy Superman 64 you can probably play DNF. you deviant motherfucker

If nothing else the shrink ray managed to remain a cool weapon.

what horseshit are you on about? I don't like yahtzee but he was not reviewing games back in 2002

Because the constant Army of Darkness references, the Doomed Space Marine, Luke Skywalker, Indiana Jones, Bill Clinton, Beavis and Butthead jokes and the one Die Hard quote weren't pop culture references. And don't get me started on the X-Files references in the D.C. expansion.

Oop, you're right, I must have misremembered.

Regardless of how much development they actually did, it's tainted for this reason alone.

The irony is that Gearbox thought DNF would be such a hit that they basically split the rights up between them having the rights to new games while some other people had the rights to re-releases and ports. Fast forward to now where Megaton was taken off stores, the only new Duke games are a re-rerelease of 3D but with less content and a higher price tag, and Bulletstorm featuring "Duke Nukems Tour", and Randy claiming Megaton was "illegal"

Yeah, it's fucking surreal to see Pitchfag put a 20 year old game under such strict product protection. Duke Nukem only seems to ever get owned by maniacal hacks.

DNF wasn't even trying to be a 90's FPS though. If anything, it was trying to be HL2.

It was put on a pedestal the moment it was announced and the subsequent years afterwards most people expected the second coming of christ in the form of this video game. I did enjoy it, but I understand why its on sale in the 5 dollar bin.

(checked)
As a shooter the Wolf reboots are pretty fun but nothing special. Storywise it's obvious they wanted to cram diversity into it so hard plus the ol' "Nazis are people we can universally hate" shit. Political correctness on top of a game which took itself a bit too seriously.

The giant zombie/mummy boss was anticlimactic and I hated The Old Blood almost exclusively because of that shit.

Don't forget voiced by one, too.

What a faggot. Just because he managed to pull off Duke's badass persona in front of a mic, he thinks he's one himself.

It's one of my favorite games. It's next to Borderlands and Battleborn.

Question: Who here would've done credited work for the Hillary campaign if you already had steady work in a relevant profession?

Are you trying to spin it as him turning it down simply because he had another job, when it's blatantly obvious he turned it down because he's an SJW?

The issue is that the game is chock full of gimmicks like the god awful driving parts. Duke Nukem 3d was actually neat (albeit Blood is the best).

He is a jobless faggot.

You're a big goy

Has anyone got that screenshot of the duke nukem twitter flirting with a tranny?

so there is an expansion "the doctor who cloned me" torrenting it again. first one was in Russian gibberish while all the audio was still in English with no language options built in and having to download new language packs threw stem seems easier just to download again.

first time i played i got to play a week before one of my friends who pre ordered. he was so salty he didn't speak to me for 2 weeks. also is there a way to gerrymander the multiplayer? would do a few rounds with some Holla Forums bros.

Blood 3d was better in everything but the difficulty curve wich sucked ass (levels that were too hard to levels that were too easy)

I never liked Redneck rampage. Lo wang was mostly unsufferable. but without his comments the game was just as good as DN3d. Blood was still better

Rise of the triad was OK for what it was. But Build engine made it pale in comparison.

Manhattan project was the real Duke Nukem 3 and it was amazing, repetitive. but. The market was full of FPS's when manhattan project came out the platform shooter genre was dead. So it was a great throwback. the level design was perfect

There were lots of reviews where Duke likes affected the game score negatively.

If it wasn't because duke personality was intact, the game could be even worst. But many reviewers considered his personality to be negative.

I expected nothing of daikatana and it still disapointed me. I expected little from DNF and i just liked it. Didn't love it. But missed Duke one liners.

I think in this case he's right. He doesn't have to accept every job he is proposed. And if it goes against what he believes he doesn't have to do it. He didn't say "those fucking republicans". He said "i wouldn't betray my own beliefs" And that's perfect. It would be hypocrite if he actually did

The fans were kept waiting for so goddamn long that when it finally arrived we all had one of two levels of hype: zero and insatiable. No one could have been satisfied at that point. It didn't help that it was also pretty crap, especially for being in development for that long.

yes, it was a below-average shooter

Hey guys, I actually bothered to 100% the game on PC with m+k, and holy shit.
It isn't godawful worst thing ever, but it's one of those cover based shooters where you can tell they did not bother to test the game on hardest whatsoever.
The turret section on Duke Burger straight up cannot be beaten reliably, with topped out health in ng+.

I wanted to like it, and sadly the best part of the game is the DLC (you can tell it actually had 2-4 gun limit and regen health in mind when they made it, whereas the rest of the game feels janky as fuck since it swapped systems at some point thanks to Gearbox), and the multiplayer as dead as it is was fun for a time, but ultimately, no, it's just subpar as shit.

A lot of people forget how much the hype the original Duke Nukem Forever trailer was. The game that did get released was no way close to being complete or as exciting as the games originally trailer showed.

DN:F wasn't complete shit, just forgettable average.

I'm not talking about IGN scores you cuck, i'm talking about my scores.

Agreed, I enjoyed Duke, but that was about it. I played the game twice in a row to get the gun achievement and… yeah the problem is it's mostly empty and dull when Duke isn't spouting off crazy as shit oneliners and other bullshit.

No you retard, it's for the gameplay being an absolute shell of what the game used to be like. It has a lot of interesting setpieces but that's all the game is – setpieces. It's not a *game* like the original was.

You could have watched literally any review. Hell even fucking gameinformer had written reviews that were critical as fuck of the game despite praising his macho attitude.

So again, no, you drooling fucking retard, not everything is about feminism, politics, and other dumb shit like that. Can you nerds stop pretending it is?

DNF for me keeps getting less disappointing because of games like Aliens Colonial Marines, Destiny, Evolve, Mighty number 9 and No Mans Sky.

Those games Make DNF look like Chrono Trigger in comparison