I'm doing something nice for once

i'm doing something nice for once

D28PL-XK392-Q5JK6

Thank you! I don't know what I'm in for.

Well, bye.
Thanks again OP!

Decent music, half decent game. The script was pretty much rewritten because they lost the original translation back then (or so the legend goes). If you want a faithful translation, play the GBA version but then you'll have to play through Narsha and co.'s unnecessary story. And the game is far more easy which is pretty bad.

This is what pisses me off about this game. Surely there must be a restoration patch or something out by now?

There is not. Also, the Ancients are called Gods in japanese, just another bit of censorship if you didn't know.

I dunno if that's censorship. They're still obviously worshipped like Gods and I treated them as such anyhow.

At least the official translation is better than FEDA's fan patch. The one I have for FEDA is fucking unbearable, and the game has shit colors, looks like a fucking RPGmaker game, unmemorable music and some fucking retarded overworld that isn't quite Tactics Ogre but isn't nearly as fun as just running around like in SF1 and SF2.

The rest of the art direction is okay. The menus are a bit strange and the battle cutscenes take too long, so I leave the emulator on turbo to make shit go faster. But man, it's not nearly as comfy as the Shining series. If anyone wants a good pick-up-and-play game, emulate the Gaiden games on SegaCD. No overworld, nothing but tactical battles and a small menu world in between battles to buy and sell stuff. That was really fun to run through. Easy as pie, though. Pumped my main character with all the stat enhancing items and used him to steamroll everything. He one shot basically everything.

There's truly no better way to play. I played Gaiden 1 and left 2 unfinished on the Sega CD. I remember seeing the first beastman they give you and think "Hey, this guy is obviously going to be a BEAST (no pun intended) like every other beastman in the shining series." and then being horribly dissapointed he just headbutted enemies for crap damage.
I beat SitD a year or two ago. It was fun but Darksol's theme is way better in the remix of it they did for SF1.
If my autism is enough, I'd like to recreate the entire dungeon in minecraft one day

I should play SitD. I started a Holy Ark playthrough but never really got far. Just started on a whim and never continued.

Are there any good new Shining games? I thought they were all JRPGs with meh characters and completely ignored the old lore.

I wouldn't know. Never even finished gaiden or 2. The only games I beat were the two versions of SF1 and SitD. And I only played SitD because I was itching for a dungeon crawler at the time.
I'll get around them someday but for now there are other games that have my attention like The Quest by Redshift. It has a lot of expansions and the base game is already a lot of fun to me.

no, the shining games sucked after camelot stopped making them which was after the sega saturn.

genesis era = shining in the darkness, shining force, gamegear games/shining force cd, shining wisdom*(saturn game, originally a genesis game, play the sega of europe translation not the shittastic working designs one)

saturn era = shining the holy ark, shining force scenario 1,2,3 + premium disk

not shining but you can tell it is = golden sun games

Beyond the Beyond looks similar enough, too. Golden Sun was a really comfy series to play through, it's a shame there's only two games. We don't speak of DD. I've been missing JRPGs that have half-decent puzzles in them. Wild Arms was scratcthing that itch fairly well, actually, with the various abilities you get. Yeah once Camelot stopped being SSP, the Shining Series went downhill. I tried looking up some new titles and a lot of them are action-RPGs, which while they could be fine on their own, are not what I was hoping for. The designs are also garbage, I hate Taka's art.

Made by the same studio maybe but to say they actually resemble each other?

Yeah, game series being modernized and turned into action-RPGs is a pretty sad sight. Remember that DS Lufia 2 game?

No. Please, no.

Vaguely, but I've never played Lufia. I know I should because many people say Lufia 2 has decent puzzles as well.

You've never played Holy Ark, have you? It's the same art style and combat flows similarly.

yeah

dungeon crawler rpg= shining in the darkness/holy ark
srpg = shining force
zelda clone = shining wisdom
traditional jrpg = golden sun

all are jrpgs, anime art style, command menu have simply animated actions, beeping noises for speech. main hero has a light saber as an ultimate weapon?

Saw a video of holy ark. IT IS similar to golden sun. And it's a dungeon crawler. Too bad it's for saturn and I only have a toaster.
Lufia 2 was a normal rpg with a 4 members party where the fourth member iirc changed as you progressed through the story. Lufia 2 ds is an action rpg where you can have everyone in your party, everyone looks like they were pulled straight from a shonen too. These two are the same character.

I don't recall ever getting a light saber in a golden sun but that Dullahan cunt had one and he loved to use it. Besides that everything else seems correct.

All the post Sega console titles have varying degrees of shit to them. If you see Tony Taka's art, the game is almost guaranteed to be shit on a mechanics/technical standpoint.

If you can emulate, then feel free. Don't bother putting money down on any of them. They stopped being anything SRPG like or TRPG like after SF3 on the Saturn.

Lufia was a by-the-numbers safe RPG setup with a good dungeon crawl, adequate battle system, excellent treasure hunt (Seriously the shit you can get midway in the game if you're persistent is OP as fuck) and a genuinely good story from start to finish.

Lufia 2 takes all of that and refines it, making battle MORE fun, rewarding people who did the harder puzzles with godlike gear, rewarding your Ancient Cave run with top gear of the whole game, and made Pokémon tolerable for those who just never got the craze. The story was also god tier as far as classical tale fantasy is concerned.

Lufia's DS remake is shit battle design, holds your hand through all fights (and even levels you up if you game over one time too many), sidelines ALL the cool aspects of the story, turns the characters into shitty stereotypes of more recent rpg tropes, dumbs down the puzzles, and offers no current/post game thrills anywhere near the likes of The Ancient Cave or the Egg Dragon hunt. It's a shitty game helped along by the shitty people at Square-Enix and it was so fucking horrible that despite the supposed masterpiece that was Rune Factory 4, the dev studio went under for lack of funds to sustain profitable business.

The lesson is fuck anything that tries to cash in on your RPG nostalgia. Millions of FF7 fans have no idea what kind of hellish torment they're heading toward.

I
what

No thanks

Well fugg. I was sort of interested in the fighting game but it looks like it's all Tony Taka characters that I don't give two fucks about. I want to see classic SF characters in a fighting game.

Sweet Jesus that sounds awful. Here I was naively hoping that it was like Chrono Trigger DS, where they just added content instead of fucking ruining the game. Thanks for the heads up, anons.