Came out 9 years ago

What the fuck happened to the physics technology in gaming?

Other urls found in this thread:

beamng-mods.com/beamng-drive-mods/planes/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_processing_unit
twitter.com/AnonBabble

consoles killed immersive simulation tbh

you can thank idiots who claim "realism and simulation" in games is bad

physics were largely a gimmick, especially realistic physics

gta4 came out on consoles first

pretty sure you're wrong

This game was total ass. The phisycs were the worst part. everything felt so wiggly and anti-fun. I don't know what they were thinking making a gta game like this.

Wtf I hate gta4 now.
I bet you think driving was better in gta5 you fucking pleb.
I love me some 'press button to avoid hitting a wall because you were a retard and were going too fast into a turn' too

check those trips of truth. cars in gtaV felt like glued to the road

Gta 5 was also crap, but from what I remember it was a bit better, and you didn't die as easily from crashing. I was thinking about the walking/running not just driving by the way. The older gta games were 100X bettter. I still have more fun with gta 3 than I do with 4, played them both recently, but couldn't get into 4 at all. This isn't a driving simulator, so realistic != better.

yeah, the only good gta games were 3-SA.

It certainly is current year on Holla Forums.

Someone is trying.

It ran like shit.

yeah but add planes and then call me again

beamng-mods.com/beamng-drive-mods/planes/

okay before clicking it I'm guessing it is that cargo plane mod… oh not cargo it's called B-25 mitchell okay… and a chopper and another plane which I haven't tried, why are there so few planes for this? Why are they vibrating through the air rather gliding? Whatever I'm gonna see if said problems are fixed.

Fuck off.

I don't understand the gta4 hate on Holla Forums, I've played all the GTA games and I find IV the most enjoyable. I guess those who played it on PC couldn't run it so they just find reasons to hate it.

I wish that were the case
Its probably the worst cancer in video games since QTEs
Why would you want built in input lag and QWOP tier controls?

The game has been build from the ground up to be a racing game, after the fact fans started saying they wanted every vehicle known to man added to the physics system.
The devs are smart enough to limit their scope and keep it realistic unlike many others that would claim everything will be implemented once their kikestarter reaches $5,000,000.

While it would be nice to have a proper flight sim build on their system I don't expect them to do it and as they plan to sell the TECHNOLOGY I hope others take advantage of it.

I have been a huge fan since the start, the first LAN I ever had was GTA 1 over serial port LAN. 4 is my favorite by far and it ran fine on my PC.

Because the middleware they used costs a fortune and runs like ass.

oh shit it's that one game, release date: never

Epic meme
I am sure it has nothing to do with its dogshit draw distance, textures blurrier than RE4, the built in FXAA in cutscenes, a story with no conclusion, open world with nothing to do, less content than its prequel, completely unlikable characters, meaningless choices, shitty mission structure where you spend more time driving to a mission than actually doing it, shitty artstyle with more shader filters applied to it than baby's first Unreal Engine 3 game, being attached to games for windows live on top of rockstar social club and securom etc

thanks for enlightening me,
so they are just going to sell the technology to some company when they are done? What if the tech gets trashed and botched to spore-levels by let's say, EA? I mean, are they legally allowed to sell the tech to multiple people as to prevent this kind of scenario?

They intend to sell it as an abstraction layer that can be applied to all the major game engines and of course anyone that makes their own engine can make it work.

Now we just need to hope someone like EA or MS doesn't offer them billions and them selling out.

Woah. Nice physics faggot.

more like physiscs based.. GAYNIMATION HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaqghg go d popooo POOPOO!!!

haha that a funi post! Funi post! haha AAAAAAAAAAAAAA POO POO AAAAAAAAAAAAAA THE POO POO IN MY WEE WEE IS COMING OUT AAAAAAAAAAA PEE PEE POO POO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

haha WOAH nice physicas based GANIATM JAJDGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH AAaAaAAaaAAaaaa aAAAAAAAA MY PEEEBUS !!! MY PEEEBUS HURT AA THE BLOOD COME OUT E THE BOOOOOD LEI HTCOME OUT AAAAA ; ) HAHA DUDE

I remember when the industry was kicking around the idea of a dedicated physics card, a lot like a dedicated sound or video card.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_processing_unit

PhysX basically took over and farmed the work out to the GPU, but that would have been an interesting timeline, to have dedicated cards for sounds, video and physics.

The first processor to be advertised as a PPU was called the PhysX chip, introduced by a fabless semiconductor company called AGEIA. Games wishing to take advantage of the PhysX PPU must use AGEIA's PhysX SDK, (formerly known as the NovodeX SDK).

The PhysX was available from three companies akin to the way video cards are manufactured. ASUS, BFG Technologies, and ELSA Technologies were the primary manufacturers. PCs with the cards already installed were available from system builders such as Alienware, Dell, and Falcon Northwest.

In February 2008, after Nvidia bought Ageia Technologies and eventually cut off the ability to process PhysX on the AGEIA PPU and NVIDIA GPUs in systems with active ATi/AMD GPUs, it seemed that PhysX went 100% to Nvidia. But in March 2008, Nvidia announced that it will make PhysX an open standard for everyone…

The drive toward GPGPU has made GPUs more suitable for the job of a PPU; DX10 added integer data types, unified shader architecture, and a geometry shader stage which allows a broader range of algorithms to be implemented; Modern GPUs support compute shaders, which run across an indexed space and don't require any graphical resources, just general purpose data buffers. NVidia CUDA provides a little more in the way of inter-thread communication and scratchpad-style workspace associated with the threads.

Nonetheless GPUs are built around a larger number of longer latency, slower threads, and designed around texture & framebuffer data paths, and poor branching performance; this distinguishes them from PPU's & the Cell as being less well optimized for taking over game world simulation tasks.''

One last little interesting bit of trivia:

Although very different from the PhysX, one could argue the PlayStation 2's VU0 is an early, limited implementation of a PPU. Conversely, one could describe a PPU to a PS2 programmer as an evolved replacement for VU0. Its feature-set and placement within the system is geared toward accelerating game update tasks including physics and AI; it can offload such calculations working off its own instruction stream whilst the CPU is operating on something else. Being a DSP however, it is much more dependent on the CPU to do useful work in a game engine, and would not be capable of implementing a full physics API, so it cannot be classed as a PPU. Also VU0 is capable of providing additional vertex processing power, though this is more a property of the pathways in the system rather than the unit itself.

The physics based animation was almost universally terrible. Sure it was neat looking, but it seriously fucked up gameplay, the whole point of games. Even in things like red dead it's still super annoying, and this with tons of work trying to turn the rage physics engine into something not absolutely retarded.

Im not saying it can't be done, but damn near nobody enjoyed it in this, why invest thousands to recreate something that will fail because it doesn't have brand recognition?

dedicated PHYSX cards are still a thing, meaning you can dedicate a videocard solely for physX processing

come on user at least what happened to you was funny as fuck

PhysX was its own thing but nvidia bought them and ruined it.

It would have been great. For the kind of physics a dedicated piece of hardware could give us I would gladly purchase another piece of equipment for every PC I built.