How come the industry stopped making CRPGs? I thought they sold well...

How come the industry stopped making CRPGs? I thought they sold well. With the exception of Dragon Age and Pillars of Eternity we haven't had a real top-down CRPG in years.

Side question: What would you do to restore interest in the genre?

Underrail, tyranny, pillars of eternity 2 is being figged up the ass, divinity original sin, and another is on the horizon.
You're just sheltered m8.

Publishers wouldn't support them and developers didn't want to make them anyway. Cinematic games became a thing and they wanted to make those kind of games to appeal to a wider audience.

There have been several, from 2003-2010 there was such a gap in the market for them dozens were funded on kickstarter because of popular demand, they've pretty much become a revived genre now.

Also I dunno why you brought up Dragon Age of all things, every game in that franchise was released on consoles, it isn't a CRPG

Got to be more diverse. Allow homosexuality, bisexuality, transsexual acceptance, and body size appreciation. Skin color tolerance would be a plus.

Its hard, and Bethesda ruined people's taste in RPGs.
Its not that the desire isn't there, its just really niche and every publisher wants that casual crowd. Which is why you don't see many triple A crpgs anymore.
But fuck the triple a. The shadowrun games are good to great. And while pillars was lackluster as fuck at launch, the white march was super fucking good and made me have a little faith in obsidian again. Seriously if you were really bummed out at how fucking dry pillars was, thr white march fixes all of the problems it had. Its not worth 30 dollars on a 40 dollar game though but I would classify it as a must pirate.

Also this.

They died out because no one buys them because they are shit for autistic larpers

Just depends if you're looking at AAA gaming which sets its eyes solely on what they think they can profit from, or the indie/whatever's left of mid-tier devs. Smaller devs are still churning out some games like the old CRPGs to varying quality, they just take a long time to make cus they are generally small teams trying to make sure they're complete at release. So we're talking 3-4 years maybe longer to make these games even if they get crowdfunded, compared to AAA game companies trying to churn out unpolished junk in a 1 1/2 year dev cycle or so.

In other news OP is a faggot, as always.

You can wait for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.
White March was a good campaign, and if anything it probably shows that Obsidian is learning from their mistakes and are trying to make something that's enjoyable.

Fuck Pillars 1 base game and Tyranny though

A real cunt, but at least he's useful and only mildly annoying at times.

Also,
I just don't know.

Agreed, but I'd add Bioware to the list. Both have been pumping out mediocre games with mass appeal for years.
Proper RPGs are now in the hands of small studios.

We'll see if modern Obsidian can pull through with their new Planescape game.

The writing will still be written by tumblr cunts trying to sound hip and zany and Sawyer will still make it his personal mission to ensure the gameplay is as boring and devoid of fun as humanly possible.

Obsidian's whole history is a long string of fuckups only elevated higher because of good writing.

1. Obsidian isn't making the new torment game
2. Fuck that new torment game. That shit is mighty number 9 levels of failure.

You mean inXile? And the answer is a definitive no.

That fucking multi classing video was hard to watch but as long as its as good as the white march I'll be happy.

They've already cut out two party characters and the whole second hub on top of shitloads of other stuff, and they're such Jews they would have shipped the game like that without informing anyone if some autists hadn't datamined the backer beta and discovered the kikery.

I guess you enjoy the taste of feces so inXile and Obsidian trash is right up your alley.

1. The people who set out to make RPGs these days are leftist cucks. They were leftist cucks back then, but the distance between the political left and center weren't as big back then. That's why you get liberal-ish stuff in Baldur's Gate and games of a similar age but modern games are in full libtard overdrive.

2. Publishers believe the genre doesn't make enough money. Too complicated and lengthy for the "average consumer" i.e. 90 IQ mouthbreathers. Ignore the fact that sales for GOOD games show the opposite.

Fuck me for even mentioning it then.

Didn't Tyranny come out after White March?

Wasn't interested in tyranny, but I will never stop shilling for people to pirate the white march just because it's that good.
Granted I probably only like it so much because I played it right after playing the utter shitpile that is torment 2.

Same for tabletop stuff. The Marxist vermin have almost completely taken over.

Compare the sales of Witcher 3, that is about an albino white guy going around being a manly man and fucking bitches, to the sales of DA:I that is about a band of degenerate, mentally ill leftist freaks fucking each other in a nonsensical medieval theme park.

I don't even know how shareholders aren't after their heads when they see how much money CDPR is making while BioWare is about to be taken behind the chemical shed, and this after they were the cRPG developer for over a decade.

I thought they were made at the same time, but tyranny took longer because of yhe new engine.

PoE is a shit system and as long as they don't switch to something that makes sense the games, too, will be shit.

Where else do you go with a degree in English and Native American Homosexual Studies?

My nigger. Tyranny and PoE are shit, but Divinity is great.

In a sane society? Into the oven.

I should've said good.

I was just citing examples. Yes, underrail and DOS are much better than the others, but the point is, there is no reason to think the CRPG is dead nowadays.

CRPG are niche now. The gaming audience has changed A LOT from the days of Shadows of Amn.

Other than Wasteland 2 and Tyranny all the other I mentioned are decent enough cRPGs.

They were always a niche, to the point BG2 was seen as the herald of the revival of the genre after having languished in obscurity for a few years.

Yeah I stopped looking at the mainstream triple A industry. Find your niche.

I'm immeasurably glad I was privileged to be a PC gamer in the late 90s/early 2000s. The golden age. Deus ex, Homeworld, Thief, Diablo, Planescape and so many others.

Yeah, late 90s and early 00s were pretty much the second golden age of gaming, when the technology was developed enough to partially develop on the vision but the people making the games were still the same pioneers that were driven by their passion and ambition.

Nowadays it's just filthy Jews and their servile code monkeys, while leftist parasites suck out the last of the joy and passion out of whatever is left like the leeches they are.

Not really.

Too hard to make and too hard for normalfags.

Maybe because that's why. People such as op have extremely shit taste.

CRPGs are a very easy genre. More like too much reading for normalfags.

What's that, cuck RPGs?

People caught on the marketing gimmick of labeling shit games as "RPGs" instead of as their actual genre.

Too much reading and too much thinking for normalfags. Remember that morrowind quest about dwemer cube/puzzle? Exactly.

People don't want Swing and Miss simulators anymore.

Dragon Age killed NWN, and it went downhill from there.

Does Divinity:Original Sin count?

Most developers straight up don't know how to make one, if they even really know what they are.
It's like MMORPG's only with those they kept trying anyway.

That means "not a pen & paper / tabletop" role playing game. That is played on a computer.