Since my PS2 has been stored for years but it's still a cool as fuck console...

Since my PS2 has been stored for years but it's still a cool as fuck console, I chose to jam a hard drive in there to run games from.
The guy working on it asked me for a list of games to put into the hard drive, so I sent him this list:

PS1:

-Nightmare Creatures 2
-Einhänder
-Elemental Gearbolt
-Klonoa
-Legend of Mana
-Mega Man 8
-Raiden Project
-RayStorm
-Rhapsody: a Musical Adventure

PS2:

-Midway Arcade Treasures 2
-Alien Hominid
-Metal Slug Anthology
-Mega Man Anniversary Collection
-Mega Man X Collection
-Beyond Good & Evil
-Contra Shattered Soldier
-Disgaea
-Disgaea 2
-Gradius V
-Klonoa 2
-Odin Sphere
-Phantom Brave
-SkyGunner
-Sly Cooper
-Katamari Damacy
-The King of Fighters XI
-Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks

Plus emulators. Nes, Snes, GB/GBC, GBA and Sega Genesis.

The list of games was compiled quickly because the guy just called me and said "hey, gimme a list of games", so I didn't have a lot of time to think. Those games are games I had a lot of fun playing back in the day, but I'd like to hear suggestions. Basically having access to the entire PS2 library means for the first time I can play whatever I want.
I grew up in relative poverty, y'know? Which is why I didn't have a lot of games. Most of the games I got to play were borrowed.
;_;
Anyway, gimme titles. I'm specially interested if you know some obscure but super good games. Those hidden gems, man!

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERB4SIXTTgsUCqOcoRPIseh2jnRfZWnGITOd_qz7s8E/edit#gid=0
versatile1.wordpress.com/2009/12/26/how-to-play-ps1-psx-backups-on-fatslim-playstation-2-v9-and-above/
ebay.com/gds/Playstation-2-Versions-System-Guide-/10000000000852384/g.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi series

I used to like DBZ when I was a kid but not I cannot stand it or anything related to it.
Over-exposed, y'know?

Also Chrono Trigger for PS1 has anime cutscenes exclusive to the Ps1 version.

kings field 4
smt 3
persona 2/3
wild arms 3
digital devil saga 1/2
ace combat 4/5
baldurs gate dark alliance 1/2
gladius
gun grave
freedom fighters
shellshock nam' 67
god hand

man you're bringing back some good memories.

Right? Man, those afternoons with your friends, passing controllers around…
Kids today don't know what that's like.

Not happening, Hardware BC isn't doable via HDD and POPSstarter a shit.

Why would you willingly do that to yourself?
Genesis is barely acceptable GB and NES might run half decently the rest is just not happening unless you're satisfied with really shit emulation.

Can't guarantee the super good part but here's a couple people rarely talk about but I had fun playing
-Warship Gunner 1&2
-Sub Rebellion
-Kya: Dark Lineage
-Shadow of Rome
-Pretty much anything from the simple 2000 series (expect low budget everything but that doesn't really mean they're really not fun to play, EDF started as one for example, there's also that one game that has you scanning the boobs of a kaiju sized girl in bikini from an helicopter)
-Onimusha
-Fatal Frame 1-3
-Red Star
-Samuraï Western
-Shinobi
-Nightshade
-Nano Breaker
-Chain Dive
-Chaos Legion
-Urban Chaos Riot Response

Also a bunch of things that aren't necessarily obscure but should be on your list anyways
-Ace Combat
-Ape Escape
-TimeSplitters

PS2 thread? someone post Holla Forums's must have game list

The guy sent me a text and specifically said PS1 games do perform, bro.
Be you tripping, or he made a mistake?

Those cutscenes are in the DS version, the only thing exclusive to the PS1 version is the horrible loading times.

OP is a casual. He even said he has someone else doing the modding for him.

They work if you use POPStarter which is an actual emulator with much worse compatibility than the real BC
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERB4SIXTTgsUCqOcoRPIseh2jnRfZWnGITOd_qz7s8E/edit#gid=0
Only solution for real BC using non legit PS1 games is burnt and Swapmagic or Hardmod

I remember doing co-op in dark alliance with my older brother, shit was so much fun.

Look, I had no way of knowing the emulators wouldn't run too Well. Guess what, though: I can try 'em and if they suck too bad I can just delet 'em.
As for the PS1 games, pretty much same thing. Also I don't know what method he's gonna use.
Hopefully the best method. But I'll admit it would be sucky to find out PS1 games don't run proper. I really had my heart set of some of those.

Whatever you're posting from >inb4 iPhone can likely emulate PS1 to an acceptable degree so you should try that.

No, I'm straight. Just a decent but not wow, amazing Android mobile.
Not that there's anything wrong with being gay. There's plenty wrong with supporting Apple, though.
But that's not the point. I know PS1 is easy to emulate, I've done it since like 2004 on PC, but I mean I was expecting to have the most PS games without too many machines messing my living room.
Also, I never could emulate Nightmare Creatures 2. Believe me I tried, like literally dozens of times.

Should be good enough, ePSXe isn't too terribly demanding

Oh yeah that game, it does funky things with CD access timings, also means it's likely not gonna run on POPStarter, if you really wanna play it use mednafen or the real CD.

Zone of the enders 1 and 2 (1 is kind of shitty, feel free to skip it if you don't care about the plot)

ZOE 2 is a must play

Final Fantasy Tactics

I don't wanna play it, my little brother liked it when he was my even littler brother. He's not a gamer but for some reason liked that one.
Probably because he was a bit morbid.

benis

You ought to have just learned how to set up the drive and install games yourself, otherwise you're going to have to be making more trips in the future to put games on there (and if they're not doing it for free, wind up more of a cost in the long run).

Heard in prior threads that's one of the handful of games that for some reason aren't real IDE drive friendly. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Not sure about the PAL PS2 version, but if memory serves the NA one suffered from a notable amount of lag when too much was on the screen. Not sure if playing it digitally helps with that, but it might be better to look into a PAL ISO.

But I can learn how to do it myself at any point, right?

Should be able to. I mean, I assume once they've got the drive set up, you can just use something like WinHIIP or HDL Dump (my experience is mostly with the former as I can't find very good information on the latter despite hearing from some anons that it's better). I can't say for sure though since I don't know how exactly the store or whatever you're having do it is setting it up. If it's done right though, you should be able to connect the drive to your computer, boot up something like WinHIIP, and have it properly locate and connect to the drive. Then it's just a matter of using the program to install whatever ISOs you want (and yes, they have to be installed rather than simply placed on the drive, hence the use of a program to do so) and running them via a loader. But again, I'm not real sure exactly what method they're using for the drive, and you probably don't know exactly either. Only way to know for sure would probably be to watch them do it or do it yourself (which would probably require wiping the drive to clear it back to square one if you wanted to at this point). I used a number of videos in learning how to do so and compared between them as I was doing stuff to make sure I was doing it right. Only reason it took me the hour or so it did to set up was double-checking stuff, and having done it successfully once I ought to be able to easily do so again if I have need to. I will give you heads up though that when connecting the drive to the computer, if you're using a USB adaptor, make sure the drive is spinning first before you connect it to your PC (IE: plug it into the wall first); after some testing I've had much more reliable connection that way.

It's not as simple (or cheap, given you need additional resources like the drive itself, the adaptor, and a way to connect to a PC) as Wii or PSP modding, but it's still pretty doable.

Then I'll eventually be able to do it like a pro, specially since I have such good friends here always willing to help.
XOXO
You wouldn't think so, but IB tutorials are, for some people, best tutorials.

Oh, also, is the internet port completely useless at this point? Or maybe it can be used for something fun?

Ill ask here, does PS1 games work via Freemcboot? or do i need other stuff?

the ethernet port on the network adapater can be used to connect to your own network so yo can drag and drop to your hard drive afaik

That's a decent idea anyhow if you ask me. Game saves don't take much room, but official PS2 memory cards only had 8MB of room and with a library as big as it saw, that can add up fast.

I will add though that if you're going to be playing PS1 games on the PS2, you still need PS1 memory cards to use with it.

Easy enough to get. i got 2 officials here while another 2 unofficials are in the mail from based chinaman. so should i get some PS1 cards too then?

Fuck man, i havent been this excited for a delivery in years.

Well, that's good then! I mean, cool! That should be the installation of games easier.
Right?

Looks like you can but it'll be a pain in the ass to do.
versatile1.wordpress.com/2009/12/26/how-to-play-ps1-psx-backups-on-fatslim-playstation-2-v9-and-above/

Can you install a hdd on a ps2 slim?

On very specific models with a specific mobo, the kit is pricy as hell, less compatible than the FAT adapter and it requires actual hard soldering iirc

Yeah it just takes a while and needs some custom savegames made, but its a great backup just in case.

Ive never used it, but im assuming you need like HDloader and other software to do it.

Okage: Shadow King
It's a pretty fun game with a weird world and quirky characters. In essence it's kind of like final fantasy.

I never got to beat the game because I lost my copy years ago.

Concrete Jungle brah!

Good list, but it's missing

just a reminder, sksapps is long gone.

Trying the ARMax Memory exploit to get FMCB working before my card arrives, using a several year old 2gb stick, how long does it take to detect the .max file? its the only file on the disk.

Only other USB stick i got is 16 gigs.

So hold up, you grew up in poverty but you buyfagged shit? No wonder your family is poor, they and you are retarded.

Ok, been going back and forth with tutorials as well as trying other usb sticks, Max Memory is taking a long time to detect the one .max file on the USB, it detects the USB via media type, but nothing happens. the light on the USB doesnt even flash when i select it.

true crime 1+2
matrix path of neo
black
berserk
timesplitters fp
crash ttr

PS1:
DoDonPachi
Metal Gear Solid
Ace Combat 2

PS2:
DMC
All God of War Games
Z.O.E
MGS 3
SoC

Those were my favorite games back then.

Fuck i forgot.
Ace combat 0 and persona 3

Matrix games?

PS1:
DOOM
Final Doom
Kings Field
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 2
Silent Hill
Duke Nukem Total meltdown
Powerslave/Exumed
Dino crisis
Disrupter
Soul reaver 1
Blood Omen

PS2:
Timesplitters 1,2 and 3
Silent hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent hill 4
Deus EX
The Punisher
Astirix and Obolix kick butticks
Half Life
Red faction 1&2
Hulk Ultimate Destruction
Manhunt 1&2
Shinobi
Soul Reaver 2

Thats all i could think of.

Anyone have to replace theirs before? Looks like the replacement is cheap and I already had a look inside.

It's still extremely slow that way, and I found it to be unstable. You might be better off using a SATA disk (the PS2 has IDE but adapters work) and connecting it to your computer with eSATA or a bridge. In fact, I'll probably switch to that myself after I get it working again.

Why? The performance is shit.

I've done it and it's not too bad to set up.

No, you don't need PS1 memory cards anymore. The latest version of POPStarter saves to the USB drive.

Huh. Well, you still need external storage for it by the sound of it, rather than being able to save to IDE's own free space. Though I suppose any modern USB stick would offer a LOT more room than a 1 MB PS1 card.

Still, I kind of miss the idea of being able to take a game and memory card to a friend's house and be able to play a game on their own system, compared to how modern stuff all has built in memory instead.

for ps2
final fantasy 12
urban chaos riot response
syphon filter omega strain

You have good taste.

Works perfectly fine on my machine :^)

Yeah, good luck with that.

Thanks.
Y'know, this place does not deserve the bad rep.

Found something interesting.

Found a few places online (both in australia and europe) that sells various modchips. Are any of these valuable now that fmcb exists?

They allow for burned PS1 games and to play pirated copies of R&C 3.
>inb4 someone that one version of hdloader that lets you play but crashes if you pause the game

I plugged a HDD in a couple weeks ago, and the only issue I've had is three freezes. One was an hour after plugging it in, during Okami. The other two were during the end credits for Sly 1. Both issues were solved by just tightening the screws. My question is whether I'm just a retard and never properly screwed it in in the first and second place, or the motion of the IDE actually causes it to need tightening every so often. I'm going to assume I'm just a retard.
Sly 1 is pretty fucking fun despite being too short and Okami is great.

Official sony adapter or chinese bootleg?

It was used, and I got it from ebay, but I'm pretty sure it's official. Thinking about it, some screws were loose meaning the actual IDE port was a little loose (the loose screws were behind another screwed on plate, so I didn't want to fuck with it.) Probably should have figured it was the adapters issue and not the harddrive.

Im liking the cut of your jib user.

Do all modchips work with all models? i got a SCPH-30002 model and what im reading is that one modchip works while another brand might not.

I'm not 100% on that but I think there's only one universal modchip and that's the Matrix Infinity, normally they'll just give you a compatibility range from for example v5 to v15 and you just have to look around to find what rev your console is.
ebay.com/gds/Playstation-2-Versions-System-Guide-/10000000000852384/g.html

Damn, im right at the bottom with a shortly after release PAL model.

It's probably locked at 25fps or something, it looks horrible.

my FMCB card arrived.

I welcome enlightenment.

Favorite game so far is Tokyo xtreme dorifto 3, and i picked hard mode by picking an AE86. i will become Takumi or die trying.

Here have a fixed version