I'm planning on replaying the half-life games because I'm due for a refresher on why I should give a shit about...

I'm planning on replaying the half-life games because I'm due for a refresher on why I should give a shit about anything related to the series. I'm well aware that the orange box update broke a ton of things in hl2. Is there a mod that reverts the game back to the previous working build or a mod which fixes the various bugs?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!F19nFJyC!szO8s1e1Au2TXCqDixk2luTFHTWZyHknk2ZlD1KTo1g
forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286478
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You have to download the Half-life 2: Update in order to play HL2.
I've played this game so much that I don't even know why I thought it was good

this is why you only replay games once every few years. thanks by the way, I'll keep it in mind.

The only good one was HL1 and the expansions and unofficial expansions/mod like HL-POV and some others which i forgot.

HL2 story wise it's very much unrelated to HL1 no matter what retcon gabe and his "fans" pulls out of their ass, not to mention having portal universe streamlined along HL universe.

Play the first and its expansion and let the "story" end it there, then play the second and it's episodic as a "spin off". Just like Parasite Eve 1 and 2 and the sudden change in 3rd Birthday.

By doing that you save yourself some overhype building up for whatever crap people expect from the sacred word "3".

I'm not telling you how to play the game, im just showing you a different angle of playing the game.

I'm not aware of the "orange" box update stuff as i pirated HL2 and all its sequels.

Half-Life 2 sucks.

Play Half-Life.

I found them all boring except for the strider defense sequence in episode 2.
Sorry.
Don't see why people make up bullshit about "gunfeel" or other weird things that Half-Life 1 "did better", they're all simple linear adventure games more focused on story and atmosphere than challenge or speed. Except EP2 actually had some challenging sequences like the strider defense. And honestly, if you wanna talk atmosphere, the beginning of HL2 in city 17 really did A LOT to be a big immersive and interactive experience. I should add this intro to the list of the only things that impressed me about the entire HL franchise.

Holla Forums really doesn't care anymore about anyones opinion who wasn't a pc gamer in the 90s, so there's this rampant nostalgia for HL1 and rampant disdain for HL2, when they really just all seem like the same shit to me.

you dont play that many first-person shooters.

Half life series as a whole is pretty shitty to be honest, but the pre-source HL is tolerable thanks to the multiplayer. Hey, i played the multiplayer for years before i started playing the story, that was when i finished playing unreal 2.

You're not wrong about the strider fight in HL2 and i do like the part where you have to defend the vorti trying to heal alyx.
But that's it, HL2+ is all about doing the same shit over and over again and personally i felt it's more of a engine demo like crysis 1 does until they tried to be better in warhead.

Story wise, HL2 is fucked up day one even before release and during the ""leaks"". I don't recall seeing anyone saying gunplay in HL1 is better, that person who said that must have liked old school stuff so much he's tripping nostalgia. Gunplay in HL2 is better in every way, story is down low in every direction.

Let's face it, gabe isn't even sure what he is doing with HL2 after HL1 ended. Like i said, i prefer to treat HL2+ and its sequels a "spin off", it's better that way so i gain no hype.

But Quake 4 gunplay shits on HL2 though.

The absolute madman in video related made an ISO of the original collector's edition that does not require Steam. It is based on the oldest version of the game, before the day one patch on steam.
Here is the link to the ISO: mega.nz/#!F19nFJyC!szO8s1e1Au2TXCqDixk2luTFHTWZyHknk2ZlD1KTo1g

This is quite cool.

I remember at around that time I did not have internet yet. I had HL1 from friend (who found HL1 CD in an old PC his father brought home one day, he was trading and fixing computers) and I was waiting for someone to fucking finally have a cracked game. Some day the same friend who had HL1 got HL2 on 5 cds, but it was just a copy of the original game, no crack or anything… I've played HL2 maybe 2 years later, long wait…

It broke things? Just play it it's fine.

No, it's not fine.
forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286478

This.
Half Life new feature was adding a story but it was done in regular shooter by adding NPCs that didn't want to kill you and actual setting.
Half Life 2 had a lot of new features that heavily impacted the gameplay in negative way. Valve also failed to understand that it is bad to make unskipable cut scenes.
HL1 was good game, HL2 was good engine.

thanks, now I wish it was 2006 and every day I got home from school I'd hop on my windows xp PC with an athlon xp 2500+ and an nvidia ti4200 and play source forts and empires mod and css and zombie mod and gg turbo and play til it was 10pm.

When you play the first game don't use the source version or the Black Mesa one. Those take out many good features, and dumbing down the enemy AI.

Of course it wouldn't be as beautiful as the newer versions, but atleat it will be challenging!

Few tips:
- Bodypart damage count, you wont kill a hecu marine with shooting his little toe.
- Armor on enemies work. shooting an alien grunt in the chest wont do shit.
- The AI wouldn't be reatard as in the nu-cod games, they will try to flank you!
- Make your shoots count, in this game ammo count. However, in HL2 it wouldn't…

half life a shit

get on the call of duty train grandpas

or left 4 dead or dead space

niqqa tongue my anus i dont care

If you're gonna replay it at least do so with the Fakefactory mod. And post pictures.

fuck you im staying faithful, with my razor train chicken and everything

see? faithful, accurate no broken updates from the electric jew, gaben & steam

Dont you want to play with me? ~uguu

you shouldn't

half-life was never good

Paste this into the console and you can literally fast-forward the cutscenes:
if you don't want to skip entire maps.

>I've played this game so much that I don't even know why I thought it was good
Pretty much. I still like some of the coastal areas, but that's really just the comfy atmosphere.

I only first played them a few years ago, (in order and pretty much back to back) and I still thought Half-Life 1 was better overall.

You shouldn't. They're not very good games.

_____________:^)________________

The HL2 modding scene was fucking great in the mid to late 2000. It's a shame full conversion mods are less common & the only HL2 mod that Holla Forums ever discuses is Gmod. which barely scratches the surface & most peoples idea of modding nowadays are reskins & gameplay tweaks.

__ )v;____

I'd actually enjoy his videos if he didn't sound like a milquetoast beta, didn't cough in the middle of his takes, and didn't record in a tin can

this is a bad video

Not going to watch the entire thing, but why? I mean I personally prefer Half Life 1 over HL2 too.