Is anyone else here enraged when they die in rougelike? I just played this to feel better and relax...

Is anyone else here enraged when they die in rougelike? I just played this to feel better and relax, and now I'm just upset and feeling worse than before.

roguelikes are hard on purpouse, you just gotta learn to play them.

To be fair Gungeon is a badly designed crapfest.

how so? because it's randomized?

Because you're such a badass at every game out there right?

It seems designed to make you rage. Having so much of your upgrades tied to not getting hit in boss fights makes early game mistakes painful in the long run, which is not so obvious and puts poor players on a vicious loop of having a progressively harder time until they die.

For bullet hell players this is business as usual, for people with worse twitch skills this can get frustrating.

This isn't the genre to do that, OP. Why the fuck would you play a roguelike to relax? You do know that they are all designed to make you angry and to, you know, not relax?

end this meme

My main problem with these types of games is that the beginning levels/sections are usually so boring and you have to keep replaying them every time you start a new run.

It'd be great if these games just let you pick some upgrades and skip the first 25% of the levels after you've beaten the game once or twice.

Both are shit. It's like a bunch of devs got together, made a list of awful game design decisions, made a game for laughs and then idiots actually bought it.

That's one game I really don't like too much. Mostly because I started playing, played for an hour and then quit, only to realise while starting it again that it's a roguelitelikelite. I had no idea, and I hate it. It would be a nice game if it wasn't a RNG restart game.

Crypt of the Necrodancer does some stuff right in that regard. You can start from any level you've already unlocked. You can also pick characters that already have some equipment by default, so you don't have to grind. Dying isn't much of a loss, because at most you're set back 10 minutes. It's really convenient, but they make up for that convenience by making the game hard as fuck.

Taking damage lowers the drop chance of health, keys and armor.

What's a gungeon?

I don't like calling them that but it seems to be the term for old style vidya around here.

Isn't that a little backwards? Why the fuck would you need health if you don't get hit?

What is this, a fucking pride parade?

Also OP is either genuinely retarded or acting like it for laughs. Either way, this thread is trash.

Grow thicker skin, snowflake.

Why did you have to bite, user

what would you call them then bro

There isn't a word for "old style videogames" because this category doesn't exist. If it did they would be the best games around and Holla Forums would play nothing else.

If you aren't taking damage what the fuck do you need health for? Also there is a huge problem with most of the characters being worse than others for example the pilot can't shoot straight for shit and his bullets disapate making early game hell while the convict's ability is against the whole fucking point of not getting hit.

FUCK OFF NEWFAG SCUM

To be honest EtG is badly designed in some ways that make it so it can be frustrating sometimes. It's a shame because content-wise it's not a bad game at all and it's graphically pleasing.
It used to be worse before they slightly upped the ammo drop rate, you'd get weapons but if you wanted enough ammo to kill the bosses you had to suffer through the levels with the shitty starting gun.

Honestly permadeath is a mechanic that pisses me off greatly. Im perfectly fine investing enough time in a game to git gud usually but you get to a point in games with permadeath where the time required to do so is exponentially more than other games because of the long time between point of fuck up and point of retrying because each time you fuck up you have to replay the game over again. I mean I can see how it could be enjoyed from a purely masochistic standpoint, but the kinda people who like that sorta thing also like big burly men who put massive cocks in their boipussi.

Does anyone know any good roguelikes aside from the Binding of Isaac?
I really like the concept of the genre/sub-genre but I can't seem to find any that are actually fun to play except the previously mentioned one.

twin stick shooters suck

I'm enraged, but for another reason.

this. One this that also annoys me is how artificially padded the game feels. bosses are hp bloated, extra monsters spawn when clearing room etc… it doesn't add to the difficulty, but the just shooting and waiting for stuff to die is just a borefest.

If by roguelike you mean everything that has permadeath and randomized runs, I'll just list the biggest ones and you can sort them out yourself :
See OP. Questionable design choices but actually very nice pixel art.
A decent game but I haven't had the occasion to play it a lot, some anons have said that it's definitely worth the time investment though
You most probably already heard of it but just in case you've been living in a cave. Great item variety and varied enough characters that the majority feel different to play
Level destruction plays sort of a big part in it and there's definitely some nice ideas in the game. It's heavily inspired by Lovecraft. The dev is a SJW and sucks Anita's dick if this is something that turns you off.
Small game originally on Vita, you play as a fireman and need to rescue people/extinguish fires. Graphics are cartoony and the game is very simple. There isn't a great variety of items and I personally got bored around 6 hours of play time but it's roughly the time you'll need to finish the game. It isn't hard at all and roguelite only in name.
It's a very polarizing game, I like it personally. A good variety in weapons and characters and a decent amount of hidden stuff. Graphically it's better than your regular pixelshit game but not stellar either. One of the dev is huge SJW cunt.
It's the only FPS roguelite that isn't complete shit but mildly shit instead. Good job devs.
There's a persistent component in that game where you can upgrade your character with money you get from previous runs so even if you're bad at these kind of games you'll make it eventually. I thought there was some really nice ideas in that game (mostly trying to mix some metroidvania aspects with roguelites) but the enemy design is really average at best and the bosses are unmemorable. Also, the fact that there's that persistent component of leveling up your shit also means that unless you level up your character and grind gold some areas will always be too hard for you no matter how good you are.
Probably the most famous roguelite, a good deal of content, solid platforming gameplay and some really cool secret shit (even if there isn't a lot of them). It's also a very fair game compared to other roguelites. I reccomend it.
Very hard game, pixelshit graphics but surprisingly an excellent and satisfying feedback for weapons and hitting stuff. I really emphasize that it's hard and only getting to the final boss is a feat in itself.
Bazinga

Dungeon Souls is also pretty great, same with RoR that when you really get a good setup going you can feel FUCKING INVINCIBLE at times.

Not really considering that speedruns of that game involve doing the whole thing in a single run.

That's not rewarding the player for doing well, that's kneecapping a player that's already been punished.

My bad then. I still think that the difference between each area is too steep to be able to do well consistently in them without getting some levels first.

I just did three runs through Gungeon levels 1 and 2, and EVERY TIME I got hit with one stray bullet in the first boss so I couldn't get the elevator to the second level or however it's called. This is tedious as hell, it's like they want me to grind the first boss until I get a no hit run, it feels bizarre especially considering that with the normal weapon or shit catch it can take forever. The Vulcan Raven ripoff is easy enough but using WASD for split second rolls is a pain.

I agree, Rogue Legacy has pretty shit controls and the horrible music just doesn't help it. I only once beat the game and that was when I was high as fuck.

you have to go back OP

Actually forget what I said. I forgot in speedruns you actually do intentionally die once so that you can get some speed boost upgrades. There are zero death runs of the game though.

If you're not a bullet hell autismo, a good part of the game is knowing which weapons are good for boss killing and which are good for room clearing (and of course, which ones are garbage). Of course there's still the possiblity that you won't find any decent boss killing weapon or that you'll get to the first boss with only your starting gun.
I agree completely that the game relies too much on flawlessly clearing bosses though, especially since some rooms are really bullshit on the enemies they throw at you.

posting my favorite rogue-lites
Overfall is pretty amazing, rpg roguelite, each run can net you different weapons, companions, and character classes for the next run but that doesnt mean the game will be easier. each run is different in the sense that depending on your class characters each sceneraio is handled differently and every fight is different depending on the synergy of the team you have.

spelunky but better and its got online coop. with different classes and equipment that can alter your class, even if two people have the same class they can branch out with different skills. pretty damn fun. its not too difficult

catacomb kids. This would be the hardcore version of both spelunky and vagante, overly punishing but not impossible. game makes you to think things through and use whatever is available at your disposal to get through each area. it only has local coop though.

forgot to embed video for it

pick one, chinktoon faggot

theres also everspace, you go from area to area fighting either space pirates, helping mining companies from space pirates, you can steal from the mining companies, but you cant stay too long in the same area otherwise this weird lizard alien race will catch up to you and rape your face, basically dont linger too long in one area, you can craft new shit, find new recipies that can alter your ship and its weapons, each run will let you keep your credits in order to upgrade your ship with permanent stats for the next run, different difficulties that affect the loot.

then there is streets of rogue, imagine deus ex and nuclear throne had a baby. game allows you to do whatever the fuck you want, its pure fun and best of it all, its free. the game isnt complete but you can play the game straight from their site. they got different characters that change how you play each run with hilarious outcomes

I could never get into gungeon, I play the shit out of nuclear throne but this game just doesn't do it for me.

Normalfags out REEEE

Funny, I actually agree with all of these criticisms and yet Rogue Legacy is the only roguelite besides Spelunky that I actually enjoyed and played the shit out of. Usually when playing other roguelites I do a few runs get shit RNG, get pissed and never touch it again. Something about Spelunky and Rogue Legacy hooked me and kept me coming back though.

To this day I have never beaten a game of DCSS.