Why are non racing driving games so incredibly rare? Let alone the ones with realistic handling

Why are non racing driving games so incredibly rare? Let alone the ones with realistic handling.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KihOe6ZtwtM&index=2&list=PLF85281A2DA70F92A
youtube.com/watch?v=eMkdtMQH7WM
youtube.com/watch?v=JRXPvOiWXhA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

gotta get the autistic simracer audience first (either that or the milquetoast simcade trash afterwards)

o u t r u n

oh yeah and stuntman, you know the inbetween games of driver, same devs and everything.

Interstate 76?

Super Hang-on is super realistic.

Pretty terrible imo. Straight line driving isn't my thing. Feels and looks boring.

I loved it. Stuntman has no PC port sadly.

Pretty good, loved the physics. Too much emphasis on shooting and combat though.

It's racing.

Why would you even want a game that is completely focused on driving but has no racing? Non memeing serious question. To your question only ones I know are truck games, like Euro Truck Simulator but that's probably not what you want

I'm a fan of car chase scenes in films. Chaotic driving in a relatively realistic situation is the most suspenseful of all driving, isn't it true? Racing games don't have the ability to pump my adrenaline.

They used to be all over the place:

I loved the first one, so I bought the x360 one when i saw it in stores. What a mistake that was.

I can see what you mean, that is kinda what I liked in gta 4 (the driving wasn't all that good obviously.)

The Crew is TECHNICALLY a racing game, but I spent most of my time just cruising and exploring.

not really. The goal is to get finish in time, not be faster than other racers.

Simpsons Hit and Run is a great game. The cartoon handling and graphics are a turn off for me though, although very well made.

GTA IV is awesome. The cops aren't aggressive and skilled enough however, unlike Driver. The spawning system is crap too, although thousands of miles better than the rest of the GTA games.

Well, I still hate racing tracks. Driving fast on where you're supposed to drive fast is dull.

Long and desolate highways are a no no, they're dull. The handling of The Crew is incredibly dull as well. Don't get me started on the physics.

You must not be driving in the right spots, man.
also if you upgrade your car, the handling gets better.

Uh, it's not like that, you don't understand me. Here's a video to get my point across. This is how a driving game should be.

I still remember when a few anons made a 69 Camero do Mach 1. That ghost is mighty keks.

when you get upgraded handling, thats usually how it is, but most stuff is usually at much higher speeds. if you stay in the cities, you'll get that kinda action

/ogc/ here and this

In a weird reversal of how the rest of the games industry is going, seemingly every dev rushed to the simfags. The biggest racing games are either sims or sim-cade games. Anything that is genuinely an arcade game is fucked over in one way or another. It all pretty much sucks.

Interstate '75 was actually made using the Mechwarrior 2 engine.

Non-racing driving games still involve driving fast or doing something exciting.

The Crew has plenty of other issue, like the challanges that are all over the place, that you have grind out if you want your car in it's best possible shape. And you can't even say "you can just turn them off" now due to the cop dlc, which along with wild run the shoves down your throat if you're not a good goy.

Getting it for free made if fun for a bit, but then the MMO grind and Marketing come in heavy and it just stops being enjoyable.

Wait seriously? They fucked the game up that much? Why can't they let us have comfy eurobeat cruises in peace?

But all the more "serious" games suck enormous dongs too.

The Crew

its about 1:10 the size of the actual US, but its still like a 3 hour drive from one end to the other, straight from NYC to LA

It took me less than an hour.

no one likes a speedrunner

Yep, there are crates that are constantly on the overworld which spawns in a bunch of cops, which are now annoying to deal with.

Isn't the crew just endless grind though?

I didn't even try.

Not really. It's a bland and messed up version of Driver San Francisco. Same devs and everything but the director who worked on all Driver games has left the team, so this is the result. I want crowded and cramped roads full of dangerous turns and intersections. Driver SF was a kind of disappointing in this regard but The Crew does not deliver at all.

Oh God.

Wtf I like blacks now? I wish they didn't lose in the end.

Absolutely next gen.

Not endless. I'd say it has less grinding than Gran Turismo, but compared to other non-RPG games, its kinda grindy.

they added a new mode where you can unlock 1/10th of an honest to god random car in 10 minutes or less. I unlock cars on a daily basis because of this, and like the 2nd car I got was the most expensive car in the game.

yeah the physics fucks up here and there, but its pretty rare. The most I would complain about are the jagged edges on most turns that you get stuck in, and cops bust you way faster than they should. This shit happens in NFS too

Fuck, I forgot abut NFS '15. Shit feels like a retarded version of Ridge Racer. At least the customization/ricing is top notch. that reminds me, fuck Bamco for basiclly ruining RR with Unbounded then pimping it out on mobile trash.

I'm the other way around, I wanted long and desolate roads. But everything in the crew is 5 minutes apart. Just sad.

What the fuck happened to Michigan?

its chicago now

Is this like "vegan burgers"?

Saginaw and Flint got so bad they renamed it Detroit.

Whys the map look like a map from 1780? Why is Miami half the coast of FL? Whys NY looks so funny?

because its probably the biggest map in racing game history, yet it's still 1:10 scale to the actual US and you cant just shrink the streets by 10x and still be able to drive on em

It just looks funny, that's all.

I agree. being a Vegas Resident, its funny to see that 90% of Vegas is the Strip and Fremont street. and even funnier is that all of Summerlin is reduced to a single roundabout, and if that isnt the truest shit… hahaha

I lived in NY so seeing Long Island look that way made me laugh. I'm used to NY looking goofy in games though.

what game would you say is most accurate? cause god damn, GTA San Andreas did a hell of a job capturing Vegas' look and feel in Las Venturas

I thought Driver SF was pretty great.
It's a damn shame Ubishit is retarded and we'll probably never get another one like it.

Wrong user. The most west I've been is Indy. As far as NY goes the best might be Prototype. GTA4 really scaled it down too much. If you know the areas well at all you see a lot of landmarks they missed. It was too small. Not to go off topic.

ever play Midnight Club 1?

That soundtrack is my jam.

I always hear a woman saying "help me" in this track for some reason. It is probably just some synth or drum effect though.

This and EP 1 Pt. 1 are the best tracks in New York.

Jesus I need to learn how to WebM.
I wish this track got a full version since every other track in the game has one.

and this is how I got into the Break Beat genre

Do you know where the highest quality versions of the OST are? the one I have has lots of CD skipping, and not in the good way.

Yes. Go on Soulseek and look up the version of "Strings of Life" from the Innovator comp then download the Midnight Club EPs by Surgeon and Dom & Roland. The EPs contain full versions of each track. Sadly Kaleidoscope, one of the London songs made by Dom & Roland never got a full version as far as I know.

Smuggler's Run 1 and 2 also had fantastic soundtracks. SR2 in particular had exclusive mixes of songs by James Ruskin made specifically for the game. They are ultra-extended and have more to them than the original mixes. I love it.

Where tf do you hear a woman saying help me? Must be a dumb childhood thing, I don't hear anything nigga

I only played the one where you go to Detroit. I forgot what game that is, 3?

Yup. That has an awesome soundtrack as well. IMO it is the only one you should play MC1 and 2 didn't age that well but soundtrack for both games are still fantastic.

I hated the MC3 techno soundtrack, hip-hop and rock was pretty good though

Shit taste. ROCK IS DEADER THAN DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

neato burrito

Genres like techno or jungle are really underused in games, even in ones where it perfectly suits, like the NFS series

I think one of the best games with an electronic soundtrack is Hardwar. It has a bunch of licensed songs from WARP Records and some really good ones as well, mostly Autechre. It fits really well too with the depressing tone in the game and the gameplay being based on trading rather than constant combat.

SF: 3rd Strike comes to mind, Akuma (Jungle), Ken/Alex (Break beat-ish), Elena and Dudley (both House) had really good songs for their stages, although there is a mix of different genres.
Ape Escape had their OST be made from Soichi Terada, I haven't played the game, but the soundtrack is really nice, a really good mix of Jungle and early Drum and Bass.
Surprisingly, Lego: Rock Raiders had an amazing electronic music Soundtrack imo, I don't know what happened there, but check it yourself: youtube.com/watch?v=KihOe6ZtwtM&index=2&list=PLF85281A2DA70F92A
GTA III MSX Radio was provided by Moving Shadow Records, it has some decent songs: youtube.com/watch?v=eMkdtMQH7WM
Some early 2000s Japanese games seem to use electronic music, but the fade died with time.

I think that Trance becoming big, helped big companies pick shitty songs for their soundtracks and radios. I liked this song from NFS Underground 2 tho.

MSX Radio in Liberty City Stories was much better:
youtube.com/watch?v=JRXPvOiWXhA

MSX FM in GTA 3 had some good individual tracks but MSX FM in LCS was just the better mix\radio station by far. The moodier feel of GTA 3 MSX is great though, fits the atmosphere of GTA 3 well and it was not really captured in LCS.

It may look like a racing game, but in reality it is a puzzle game where you try to find and get all the gold and silver medals around the levels.

Screw you. Funk is so much more underused than techno.

Puzzles ain't my thing but the devs knows how to make cars with decent handling and physics.

I agree.

404?

electronic is still somewhat prevalent in shmups.

Just Cause 2 is pretty good for just driving and chilling. Has huge landmass, varied environments, and simulated traffic.

Only problem is the car physics are absolute arse even by GTA clone standards.

I had a blast playing this as a little kid, despite it being pretty objectively shit (and despite me being shit at it). It was just so DIFFERENT. There were 500 games out there where you played as James Bond, and precisely NONE where you essentially played as his badass, tricked-out car. Despite the name, there was very little "racing" involved. Mostly you were driving around blowing shit up, with the occasional mission involving chasing after another car. It kinda played like a very involved, Bond-themed GTA, where you can never leave the vehicle.

Do crazy taxi count?

but it's mostly Japanese stuff with the obvious anime vocals thrown in some songs, it's mostly weebs that like that stuff.
also shmups are a very fringe genre of games.