How would you fix movement in VR?

How would you fix movement in VR?

We all know that teleporting around is fucking retarded and breaks immersion, yet there hasn't really been a better solution to this placeholder. I have 2 ideas to fix this. One is just having a controller in the off hand and the motion controller in the other so you can move with the stick while still having one arm free, and the other would be to have a mech game where you can manipulate virtual joysticks to move the mech, while at the same time having to move you have to take your hand off and manipulate other features like buttons or switches on a console. I feel like the first idea, while efficient is immersion breaking, and the second,really only works for a single genre.

Other urls found in this thread:

virtuix.com/
cyberith.com/product/
kickstarter.com/projects/katvr/kat-walk-a-new-virtual-reality-locomotion-device
virtusphere.com/
gazettereview.com/2016/06/virtusphere-shark-tank-update/
kickstarter.com/projects/1758652652/360specs-turn-your-smart-phone-into-virtual-realit?ref=home_location
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mechs sound like the best solution, but you can't have every VR game be a mech although it would improve walking sims at least
Something like the Wii Balance Board could work. Play the game standing on the board, and lean to move. Only problem is that you'd either fall over a lot or look like a MJ impersonator.
You could use a grapplehook. Grapple from place to place instead of instantly teleporting. It covers up some of the issues with teleporting, but you still wouldn't be able to move freely. Also it wouldn't make sense unless you were playing as Batman with no legs or something.

One thing I'm waiting for someone to do is copy old resident evil's fixed camera gameplay.

Still sort of teleporting, but at least that way it's somewhat realistic (more than playing someone who can teleport at least) and makes use of a tried and tested gameplay formula without restricting your freedom of movement.

I think that some of the climbing games have the grappling hook, like the one where you gotta grapple off trees, I should try that out sometime.

I feel like this would just add to the motion sickness if people who already get sick from movement tried switching back and forth over and over again, otherwise I like that idea, I can imagine getting caught by the dogs jumping through the window and switching, frantically getting your bearings and shooting them.

If all else fails try a omni-treadmill of sorts. I know this sounds like troublesome hardware but I think everything else would be a half-solution for only some kinda games like

Make the VR devices portable so you can take them outside and not be limited by space :^)

A joystick on the wagglans

not hard people

Just get 360 degree treadmill fucking hell

virtuix.com/
cyberith.com/product/
kickstarter.com/projects/katvr/kat-walk-a-new-virtual-reality-locomotion-device

get rid of physical controls entirely

They won't sell it to snivelling consumers like us, only big retail giants.
aka they don't want to make money from autists who bought waifuvision for FPS games

thats that black nob at the bottom. is that the tongue control?

The most obvious and cheapest solution would be a pressure-sensitive multi-touch foot pad placed under your desk that you could use while seated in any normal chair. This foot pad could easily read all sorts of different foot movements such as drags, steps, stomps, taps, twists, etc. Unfortunately, the reason why this dead-simple control method isn't being used right now is that it's constrained by a ton of bullshit patents from the last VR fad during the turn of the century.

why do you need to move, she can be on top

yes there has. Many games have different types of trackpad locomotion, grabbing locomotion, etc.

There are loads of games with non-teleport locomotion. This thread is akin to making a post asking when they will fix controling video games because everyone is forced to use gamepads… There hasn't really been a better solution to this placeholder.

Way back like 15 years ago, I came up with an idea to take one of those giant clear hamster-balls, and put it on a series of rollers. It would be really simple to translate the motion of the rollers to movement in the game because it's mechanical, compared to the complexity of motion sensors that have digital signals.

It suffers the same problem, though: it looks really goddamn stupid and it's still not a holodeck.

Motion sickness is like deepthroating or sea sickness, you will get used and eventually stop to vomit at a time, but first you gotta do it until you don't feel it anymore.

If this is what the future of gaming looks like I don't want to be a part of it.

When I'm playing I really just want to take my pad or kb+m and get comfy in my couch rather than doing this bondage shit

Hilariously enough, that's actually a thing: virtusphere.com/

You're correct in that it doesn't appear to be particularly comfortable.

This is the other issue. A game where you actually have to walk and RUN would have to be completely different from the games we have today. The characters in FPS games are superheroes with basically unlimited stamina. You spend 30 minutes raising and lowering a realistic "gun"-controller hundreds of times to mow down hundreds of zombies or whatever, and your arms are going to be fucking burning. Your average couch-potato won't be able to walk across a map without getting winded, much less run it.

So the issue is that VR doesn't really improve immersion, per se, but realism. It's patently obvious that most people are not looking for incredible realism in video games these days.

Those fuckers stole my idea. Goddamn!

But in all seriousness, I literally was on the cusp of attempting to build a model of this in like 2005-6, but just didn't have the budget. I might have been a millionaire by now. Just goes to show you: it takes money to make money.

Put yourself in a giant gyro

Standard game controls + headtracking?

There isn't really an optimal setup, but I'd like something like the Jaeger controls from Pacific Rim.

Investors are a thing, you know.

Perhaps your lack of capital at the time saved you from going all-in on something that in all likelihood wouldn't have worked out for you.

Things aren't going particularly well for Ray on that front :^)

gazettereview.com/2016/06/virtusphere-shark-tank-update/
kickstarter.com/projects/1758652652/360specs-turn-your-smart-phone-into-virtual-realit?ref=home_location

Or grab life by the balls and get a giant hamster ball to run around and fall over in.

you are all overthinking this.

The Kat Walk is basically the first one floating over an Omni base.

Holy fuck, dude. I wonder what all that cost goes into. Steel and fiberglass isn't that expensive. Their motion-tracking system seems rather convoluted, using ultrasound detectors measuring doppler shift. Since the thing is literally resting on rollers, you can use simple mechanical potentiometers attached to them to determine where it's going, just like old-fashioned computer mice had on the trackball.

Honestly, it's probably the virtual-reality interface than the actual machine. It seems they attempted to develop a proprietary one instead of just buying a simple aftermarket head-tracking device (which was my plan).

8-directional / 9 button hard dancemat

Yes there is. It is called not being a retard/faggot/woman or getting used to it. I have played quake 2 and other FPS with vr hmd and got zero motion sickness. Onward is a "native" VR FPS with fully free movement and a lot of people are playing it just fine (even online with some lag).
There is no "VR motion sickness", it is just motion sickness: some people suffer from it, some people don't. Women and asians are more likely to get that shit, some people get it from playing FPS on a regular display too.
Again: You fix it by not being a faggot/woman/chink or by exposing yourself to it on short game sessions until you get used to it.

Quit treating VR as some sort of fully immersive magic tech and treat it as was it is: a glorified head mounted display that uses gyroscopes to control mouselook. VR was only going to ever be good for simulators where you sit down and control something while looking around, like a car or a plane. No other games benefit from VR.

The fag wasn't talking about motion sickness, you dumb fucking shit, learn to read.

I have no idea. They said that they needed to sell a minimum of 30 units a year to be profitable and I'd be surprised if they've shipped 30 units to date, so they're bleeding money somewhere. Also the fact that they were offering such a low stake in the company on Shark Tank leads me to believe that they probably already have a bunch of other investors that they aren't able to pay back, which is why they tried to jump on the HMD bandwagon with that failed kickstarter for their "360 specs".

I don't reply to one line greentexts that assume things about me, especially if such assumptions aren't true.

From what I can find, the only sales have gone to various country's militaries, which makes sense given the $50,000 price tag. Nobody but the government, spending millions of dollars on a single missile, would find that reasonable.

I didn't even finish reading sorry
You can have movement with the pad of the vive controller or button movement with controller position to set the direction/vector of that movement (onward does that and it works fine)

It's self evidently true from what you said. Either that or you're a complete idiot.

Try Climbey, Onward, H3VR, Cyberthreat or any other number of games and you'll see why what you said is so silly.

All of those are terrible, especially Climbey. You sound like a fucking shill.

If you haven't played it just say it, user.

you could just use an cheep LED and a tube to measure key joint movements and the whole system can be essentially suspended. Essentially Thomas Zimmerman VR glove but for other joints on the human body. The only thing that would be an issue would be reliable haptic feedback.

^ I meant to respond to

It is.

I disagree, here's an example of why your wrong: some games that do something else

I thought you weren't replying to me anyway, user? What happened to your impassioned stance on who you do and don't reply to? ;)

He's probobly tried phoneVR or PSVR and thinks he's an expert now.

… Not
#rekt #checkm8

Implement traditional wasd/stick movement, and fuck the motion sick normalfags who are too chickenshit to get acclimated to VR. All this omni-directional treadmill bullshit is just going to be another pay wall that people have to climb over to get into VR. That's the very last thing VR needs when a $600-800 headset is a hard sell even to people who will spend upwards of $1500 building a PC.

If VR can push through this shitty initial phase and became a standard tool for computers, class rooms, and games, motion sickness would become a complete nonissue, because everyone would grow up using it while their brains are still extremely malleable.

VR isn't going to be fixed until you can directly control your character with your nervous system, like some Matrix type shit. It'll just be an expensive gimmick until then.

Wew

They should sell pedals to put below your chair so it feels like you're riding a bicycle.

Honestly as a vive owner, I'm fine now with moving using the trackpad. Sure, the actual input sucks compared to a stick (thanks again to the retards at valve) but moving around in games such as VRChat no longer bother me at all. In fact, the only way I can start to get uneasy is to try and purposely induce sickness (move my head violently around while playing F-Zero GX in VR for example).

Anything stationary (for the player) will ultimately be best though. Teleporting works but it's also for fags who can't toughen up.

It shouldn't be that hard to get an exercise bike to work as input peripheral for a game. Hell, a somewhat skilled faggot could use in-game data (like inclination, surface, bike configuration, etc.) to dynamically adjust resistance on the cycling.
Someone was going to do that on Outerra, but he never posted on the forum again.

I like the meme where you haven't heard of the way movement in VR worked before VR got pozzed so you assume that it doesn't exist but then you accidentally rederive one method of it.

Seems viable to me.

Pic related.

It's called putting a fucking joystick on your VR controllers and pushing forwards

You'd play from the perspective of a man sitting at a desk playing the game of choice on a monitor.

Emotiv's stuff is really fucking impressive but I doubt it would have short enough input lag for actual vidya. Last video I saw it took around a second between the user thinking and the computer reacting.

Correct. I made no arguments. I instead provided examples that prove you wrong.

Kind of like if someone says "the sky is purple" you don't have to put forward an arguement. You just point upward.

you're playing as a guy in a wheelchair, and you press buttons on your chair/keyboard to move around

You could yell at him at every turn and mistake he makes while rage quitting because he won't play right and he tells you to fuck off and let him play.

It looks uncomfortable as fuck.

I feel making VR part of the game is the right move for now. Something like putting on the VR headset for night vision/thermal vision/binoculars. Or maybe some cyberpunk game where your character goes into cyberspace and so do you with the headset.

A keyboard?

Room/House scale vr / games.
You seem to think the input devices are the problem. They are not.
The main problem is that standard fps movement in vr is uncomfortable (you basically 'feel' acceleration while your body isn't moving, and while you can resist the motion sickness, it is tiring and uncomfortable as fuck.)

Grapple hooks in vr are by far the most motion-sickness inducing movement method.

First, that wouldn't work as putting HMDs on and off is too much of a hassle, even with crown mounts like PSVR or the upcoming Win10 HMDs.
Second: Why? Why take the thing off? If you're that bothered about sensitive snowflakes getting sick outside of stationary sections, just insert an optional virtual cinema mode for mobile sections of the game. "People" who can't deal with gaming on a virtual cinema screen also can't handle gaming on a normal display, they're not even a potential audience for your game anyway.

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T WE JUST USE THESE TO ADD DEPTH PERCEPTION TO GAMES? THAT'S ALL I EVER WANTED ONE FOR.

You should totally still make your giant ball mouse.

I feel like some fat ass is going to complain that the game like that is unbalanced or possibly have a heart attack instead of realizing they are fat and the other players are just fitter.

That's not a bad idea actually.

I actually came up with a solution quite a few years ago, but I am not Jewish, so it will never go anywhere.

Just make a mechanism that is like a giant trackball, with the player inside of it. Kinda expensive and it would require a shitload of space, but it would allow you to have the perfect walking experience in VR games.

It would be kinda like a gigantic hamster wheel, except that it would be a ball, and it would be connected to a console.

Steal my idea. If you can sell this thing, you will be a very rich man.

Because subhumans with horribly weak constitutions get motion sick while wearing them and pressing a key to go forward.

Wow you must be a fucking retard if you can't even read the thread. Your jewishness has nothing to do with your idea being a success if you don't even have basic reading skills

It's too long. Blow me, faggot.

Is there actually a reason why thumbsticks don't work for VR?

Oh boy you really are a special kind of retard aren't you

It was done long ago, and was posted a while back. I actually used one at PAX.

Unfortunately, the ball is heavy. Momentum makes it highly impractical for anything but walking simulators, which is basically what the demo I tried was. Not only is forward momentum a problem, but turning to change direction was strange and a bit nauseating, and momentum fucks you up even more.

No. The motion sickness boogeyman isn't a complete myth but almost everyone can adapt to conventional locomotion in VR with some training.

I'm pretty sure RE7 doesn't have problems with its movements without any player-involved teleportation, only in moments where you lose control of yourself like in a cutscene or in the middle of an animation like climbing ladders.

One of the reasons motion sickness occurs is being connected to the character you are playing as in the game (so I would say motion controls contribute to this), so I think one of the reasons RE7's VR works so well is because it's a glorified camera gyro. In other VR games, you move your head independently from the rest of your body just like you would do IRL but in RE7, the direction you face also influences where you aim and how you move, and the right stick is to adjust that so you're not turning your head all the time. This also means the player's brain knows it's not their own body that's supposed to be moving and thus, no sickness occurs.

Basically the immersive experience sucks and is overpriced.

WASD/analog stick you dumb uncreative faggot

Aw shit nigga we futuristic now

You could explain the thing as in "you give instructions to the guy through a camera". I never played one night at freddy's, but I'm guessing that's how more or less the gameplay is.

You can do regular videogame movement in VR. The devs just have to put in the effort to make all the animations and shit good, and keep a high framerate. It requires effort, which is why devs aren't doing it.

more?

I just had a thought, what if you did the whole teleport gimmick where you point where you want to move, but instead of just instantly going there your character becomes sort of like a fast paced on rails shooter. I feel like that may work cool for an online game.