GTA San Andreas, snake eater and God of war 2 pushed the PS2 to it's graphical limits

What games pushed the GameCube to it's graphical limits?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20120426182144/http://www.edge-online.com/features/hideki-konno-discusses-3ds
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i dunno, google it faggot

tony hawk

Why?

The game limit had no graphical cubes.

I'd say it was Resident Evil zero and Remake. You could not get better picture even on PC at that time.

Super Smash Brothers

I don't know, Rogue Leader? Nothing really stood out on the Gamecube bar 1st party games and Retro.

Bullshit.

It was still pre-rendered though.

Can you Name a game on PS2 had a bigger map than San Andreas? This is when just getting morrrowind running on the originals xbox was a technically impressive.

Probably RE4.

Yep, that. Good art, but it wasn't graphically intensive at all.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2.

It ran, but it ran like shit. But for its time not bad no.

Probably Twilight Princess honestly

Wasn't Metroid Prime considered really good?
I didn't play though, I was a PS2 kid

Map size doesn't mean much in this context, draw distance and visual quality do. GTA was king of open world design at the time it still is, but it had its severe downsides, mainly how poorly it handles vehicle/NPC spawns and the compromise in art style for acceptable performance by "looking flat". Which did work in its favor by setting an unique style, mind you, but you can't really call 3D era GTA a graphical limit pusher.

It still looks unmatched today.

It's pretty, but not particularly graphically intensive since each area the player sees is small and sectioned off.

True, but it runs pretty gracefully. Relevant watch.

Metroid Prime still does a lot of cool atmospheric tricks, like rain pattering against Samus' visor or it getting fogged up by steam from a passing pipe. The Metroid Prime Trilogy cut a lot of them out

San Andreas was only 15 sq mi in size if I recall. The biggest open world on the PS2 was probably Just Cause 1, which sported a map size of 391 sq mi supposedly.

But like others have said, map size doesn't mean jack shit if you can't pack detail into it. Otherwise Minecraft would be the best open world because its the biggest. The reason so many people cite GTA V as a landmark open world map for example isn't because of its size (which is only 50 sq mi mind you) but because of its size:detail ratio

Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, everything from Factor 5.

Why is this important when the game achieves a level of detail that few games if any achieved during that generation on similar hardware?

And??? That doesn't mean jack shit. That's the developers being smart so the game could run at a smooth framerate.

Also gonna go ahead and agree with this user that F-Zero GX is one of the best looking gamecube games and runs at a constant 60fps.

Considering the gamecubes library was mostly nintendo games, probably a nintendo game. They largely look really samey so you dont have much choice there. Its just a miserable little lunchbox.

Doesn't Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike have better graphics than it's launch title predecessor?

Doing that IR thing would be really clunky to use, since you'd have to use one hand to hold the joycon, and the other to do the gesture.

Probably, been a while since I played them.

Please no.

Because the OP asked for a game that pushed the hardware to its limits. RE4 was far more demanding than M:Prime in that regard.

The less you render, the more detailed the content can be, and unfortunately for M:Prime it's really heavy handed and blatant what they were doing. It's no different from those really old nvidia/ati benchmark/tech demos they used to bundle with new graphics cards where you'd have a really small scene, or sometimes even just a single highly detailed object on a pre-rendered background.

I don't know how anyone played San Andreas. I've gone through 3 copies of that game on PS2 and it still won't work.

All of the late life ones.

Starfox Adventures, the fur is really detailed and they even reuse the same fur shader to draw grass, it can be seen in most scenes where there is grass but it's most obvious in that place between the main area and the beach. There's also a section where a boss room has self shadows, pretty impressive for the time.

The IR camera faces towards the player when holding it normally, I thought it was included as a fancy way to detect the screen without the need for the IR sensors, but even then I think it only detects silhouettes, I don't think it was at all a worthwhile addition to the system.

But that doesn't mean that the system isn't being pushed with these games, rendering a single complex object could be as taxing as rendering an entire room of less complex objects. The rooms and the objects within the rooms in Metroid Prime are very detailed.

Obviously some sections of the game won't be as demanding but I think that's more of an issue with keeping the detail of the world consistent.

I agree with RE4 though, I recall that the games letterboxing was more to squeeze out a little bit more performance than anything else, and the character models are very detailed, especially for the time

I wonder what that upcoming Prime game on Switch will look like?

Won't work?

Maybe it was Nostalgia that made RE4 look so good, it looks like a PS2 game here, maybe a bit better than a PS2 game.

Yes but the game was rather meh. Blame the shitty on foot missions.

Because that's the mobile version you fucking faggot.

I know faggot.

Get out of here with those slow games.

The answer is F-Zero GX. And it's fucking fast.

Is it confirmed to be a Metroid game? I know they're working on something, but not what.

Depending on what the lineup looks like, and how fast the switch gets cracked, it might be my first console purchase since 2001

Funny how the android version is so much uglier than the GC version. Aren't modern smartphones/tablets significantly more powerful than the GC?

Retro were dropping hints that there was a Prime game in development, but we don't know if it's their upcoming title or if it's their next title.

That is for a system called the Zeebo, that I've never played.

Sonic would fucking piss itself

You forget the most important title.

Don Genie is the fastest fucking vidya character ever.

I'm sorry but. Wrong. Fucking, wrong. Ratchet and clank visually has way more going on.

Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime more than anything else.

Okay, now serious answers you probably won't like:
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six - Lockdown
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory
Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes
Tomb Raider: Legend

No game ever did.
But the thing is all Gamecubes were capable of stereoscopic 3D. The bottleneck was the price of TV sets.
web.archive.org/web/20120426182144/http://www.edge-online.com/features/hideki-konno-discusses-3ds

Rare pushed the N64 too hard with Perfect Dark, to the point of being unplayable and we're talking about the late 90's, early 2000's where max 20 fps was the rule. I could not finish the game in perfect agent, I simply could not see far way enemies (shit resolution) and aiming was difficult at 8 or 12 fps at best the game simply gave me a headache. High resolution mode did not help because it managed to slow down the terrible FPS even more, try to play Carrington Villa in perfect agent with high resolution on real hardware.
I applaud those who manage finish PD at the highest difficult, at least I did in Golgeneye.

What the fuck?

I beat every mission on Perfect Agent, even the secret ones. For some reason the framerate hardly bothered me back then.

You never played Playstation and Nintendo 64, have you?
That generation was the Atari 2600 for 3D graphics, developers were trying their best to come up with convincing presentation, but had to sacrifice FPS to do it.
From the top of my head, here some games with high frames per second from this time: Motor Head (PSX), Gran Turismo (in High Res Mode) and F-Zero X, notice how those are all racing games.
Meanwhile action games like MDK (PSX, PC was great), Syphon Filter, Medievil, Buck Bumble all had either low FPS or huge amounts of fog to avoid drawing too many triangles.
The only exception to this rule was Naughty Dog Crash games on PSX, those guys are wizards of performance; Nintendo, Factor 5 and Rare (outside of PD and Jet Force Gemini) on the N64.

I 100% that game, all the challenges, all the cheats, all the missions, try playing it with the 60fps/mouse hack on an emulator, the games pretty good.

You're remembering things wrong, user. ~20fps was the exception, not the rule.

First, this doens't count.
Second, yes, I know this hack, it makes the game play like a dream.

I recall people were talking about mouse hacks for Perfect Dark a few years ago and they were impossible to find or something. That true now?

I've still never seen this game in action, I remember reading about the reviews in EGM.

It does look pretty great for its time.

Rule was 30 fps with dips back then, 60fps games were a rarity and some games even ran at 15fps or below
Off the top of my head the worst example is Final Doom for the PS1 runs at sub 10fps in places, even lower in a few select levels like perfect hatred

Neat. I might have to grab it, I miss those PS2 era shooters.

Could you really destroy most of the scenery?

I played it a little bit and from what I remember there actually wasn't as much scenery destruction as they promised. Either way it's pretty fun.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat was a pretty good looking game with lots going on.

Rogue Squadron, Metroid Prime 2, and, uh, Baten Kaitos?

I think you mean Killzone. That game couldn't even function

I always thought Dead or Alive 3 was one of if not the best visually impressive games on the og xbox, not to mention it was a launch title as well.

Are y'all retarded?

user you ok?