Is there any documentation on how the fuck the dude that made this pulled it off?

Is there any documentation on how the fuck the dude that made this pulled it off?
I worked with the pokecrystal disassembly enough to be familiar with it, but the amount of shit that this has added to it far ecceed the memory limits that are hardcoded into the disassembly itself.

Any info on how he did it? Cause it's honestly fucking impressive.

Other urls found in this thread:

hax.iimarckus.org/topic/6874/
hax.iimarckus.org/topic/6940/
hax.iimarckus.org/topic/6738/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I remember a while back on >>>/pokemon/ there was a tear down of the crystal engine which help get a start on the project.

If you have the source code you can just recompile with a larger memory size.
Not sure how ninty feels knowing it's floating around on the internet somehow.

C&D and most likely more of those coming out for even more pokemon fangames

Isn't the assembly out there? I downloaded it and tried to compile it myself but I got errors for some reason.

Pokemon Crystal hacking with the disassembly is amazing though.

Is this your work, or someone else's? Because that looks fucking amazing and I want to play it because of that.

You know, i'll never understand GB, and GBC nostalgia.
I grew up with a GB and i remember spending so much time squinting at the screen, giving myself a headache, buying one of those magnifying glass you would mount on it to actually see something, seeking the right light conditions.

It was such a nightmare.
I played it 24/7 but that's just because i didn't really have anything else at the time.
Why do you have nostalgia for that piece of shit?
GBA, i can understand, tons of GBA games hold up to this day, but GB and GBC?
What's the fucking point?

hax.iimarckus.org/topic/6874/

Guy has been doing this as a pet project. Some of the changes he does are questionable but he has all of his changes and edits public so you can see what he does and copy it, learn, etc. Make your own version while removing stuff you don't want. It's a very great thing to follow if you want to learn the Crystal Disassembly.

Also have a bump

Nice. Thanks, will play once I figure out how to convert it to 3DS VC with savestates disabled.

In return, I'll post the source code for Prism as well as what I think is the latest version i.e. it should allow access to Sylveon now.

mega.nz/#!ogEhWLiR!-coDlITWSkNi840sOW42vnSPKk7z2SoQ3jna4XXqdAQ

Yeah I am talking about the Pokemon Crystal Source code that is around, but that source code has massive memory limitations and I can't seem to be able to find any way to remove them.

By itself working with the source code is pretty fucking great tbh, managed to get a few new things into it myself.
After adding a few new tilesets the game completely broke and refused to recompile because it had a larger filesize than expected

There's a lot of junk and unused code you can remove to really expand the game's memory. Also optimization helps and is still being looked into for stuff like how to add over 255 Pokemon (currently you can only have at most 253 Pokemon, 2 extras. 254th is the Egg and 255 is Cancel on Bill's PC). Hopefully people can figure out a way.

I'd first recommend getting rid of the Pokemon Mobile Trading code shit, that seems to use up a lot.

Bumping again, don't you die on me, I want some Gen 2 discussion

I played GB back in the day on an early emulator, mainly Pokemon Silver and Link's Awakening and it was fucking great.
People like the games and not the hardware itself.

I've never heard someone complain about GB/Cs screen giving you a headache to look at. How far does a book need to be for you to be able to read it comfortably?

But what do I know, I grew up with the N64 and have absolutely no nostalgia for it. Most of the games were boring to me.

Totally retarded.

What was the last version that got released? I have a rom of 0.91, but I don't know how or when I got it.

That's the limitations of the engine unfortunately. People are still trying to figure out how to surpass it, but until it is there's only 253 spaces for Pokemon in the game, with254 being egg and 255 being cancel.

There is no real way to remove the limitation. The Pokemon index numbers are stored in an 8-bit integer which can only hold 255 values. The Gameboy and Gameboy color are both 8-bit only

I guess maybe you can somehow use multiple pages, but you can't really do this either because the engine has to be ready to pull any of the 255 available slots at any given time for wild or trainer encounters

Nigger, the source code is not 1:1 with the original source code, just a rough approximation based on the disassembly. If the actual source code were leaked it would be huge. But any program can be disassembled, you just don't get things like proper code layout or comments, and it requires months of effort to even produce files that would work with a compiler

It can be accomplished with a rewrite, and people are working on it now.

hax.iimarckus.org/topic/6940/

AFAIK it was accomplished with Pokemon RBY.

It sounds like they'd need a big chunk rewritten
I'd honestly like to know more about how they surpassed the limit in RBY

hax.iimarckus.org/topic/6738/

Fascinating, so it looks like the index numbers are entirely superfluous

tfw still haven't played prism due to not knowing whether the new sprites were ever combined with the second update