Why does the emulation scene (and now even modern devs somehow...

Why does the emulation scene (and now even modern devs somehow, who are into the "retro" aesthetic) so invested in fucking filters?

They know they only result in horrible mess of crayon blobs. Why bother?

And don't even get me started with the so-called HD Texture Pack Fan-Remakes that are literally GBs of texture files run past an HQ4x filter.

Other urls found in this thread:

audiophile.rocks/
youtube.com/watch?v=4JI01J6YvjI
audiophile.rocks/about.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bilinear filter > no filter > live CRT > CRT emualtion > gangrape by aidsed niggers > any other filters

Not sure, but there again I feel no particular attachment to how a game looks on a CRT or really think of filters as anything more than a novelty. More often than not I just get sick of how it makes the game look and turn it off.

Because LCD displays are really that bad.

I know the Sonic genesis games took advantage of how colors blur on a CRT. Like in the waterfall effect for example.

Those games basically don't look right unless they are on a real crt.

It had more to do with composite video, the dithering is visible on just about any rgb capable monitor. Crt handle low resolution images a lot better than lcd which butchers anything non-native

that looks awesome, i dont know what your panties are in a twist about

Same reason that Fallout game got a texture pack that's bigger than the game itself: normalfags don't care about good graphics, they just want BIG graphics. The biggest monitor with the biggest resolution, the most expensive graphics card, piles of gimmicks with impressive-sounding names.
The same goes for their sound systems. They'll literally pay top dollar for bags of beach pebbles if some kike tells them that they're special quantum crystals that improve sound if you put the bags on top of speakers, and then they actually leave positive reviews talking about how they could hear the difference with the pebbles. (I WISH I was making that up.)

It's 2017, not 2004

Placebo effect.

Because most of them never actually played the games on real televisions, and don't understand the intended visual style of the era.

That looks worse, user

Almost every SNES game was developed in 8:7 and everyone played them in 4:3 you double nigger. Every intended circle looked like an ovoid egg to every kid playing, everyone had wide fat heads, and yet every purist fag thinks all these things were "The VISION OF THE CREATOR" because that's how it looked when they grew up.

(you)

Yeah, I loved how the red blob jumped on the brown blob. Super Mario Blobbers is such a great looking game.

Wow, incredible!

I thought you were full of shit.

You weren't.

kikes should have to pay reparations

You got btfo on the emulation thread, no need to make a shitpost in the hopes other anons will circlejerk with you.

8:7 ratio is the general internal SNES ratio.The standard AR for TVs back when the SNES was current was 4:3, so devs would've designed their games with that AR in mind.

so, stop spreading this shitty image.

It is true, scannlines somehow fix pixel bleeding in some older games but thats up to everyone itself to use it or not.

This could work as some half-assed SCP entry.

You think this is bad?
audiophile.rocks/

Hereā€¦
Texture pack that actually matters
youtube.com/watch?v=4JI01J6YvjI

audiophile.rocks/about.html

Not suggestive at all.

Only turboautists who don't know shit would even suggest this. Game devs drew the art on the same stretched 4:3 displays they played them on so it doesn't look distorted since they compensated when drawing.

It doesn't need to be "better".

ARE
YOU
FUCKING
KIDDING
ME

Because a 240p resolution game on a 1080p screen looks like ass, especially if it's 3d.
And the lie that "pixel perfect" graphics is what developers saw and not it through CRT monitors at the time has basically all petered out.
There's one level of separation between where we're at and accurately reflecting the aesthetic of the time and that's
ACTUALLY FUCKING DRAWING YOUR GAME'S ART BEFORE MAKING A SPRITE.
Which really wrangles my dangle that it took people this long to get.

What blyadnik music is it?

2xBRZ, Bilinear and Scanlines are all fine.

That's why you have to go and make such a high-resolution screen, it can display a lower resolution screen inside it.

Wouldn't mind knowing myself.

This isn't even the worst, a few years ago they had a huge audio cable up for $120,000, it's unclear whether they stopped selling it because nobody bought it, or somebody did and the scam artists behind it actually felt bad and decided to tone it down a little.

Wow that was quick, thanks famalan.

When you take a sprite and blow it up nine fucking times, you lose the effectiveness of dithering on it that would be present on an older screen. Fucks sake.

Then display the screen.

sit further back

Okay. Dude, I'm just going to come out and say it. I programmed on the Net Yaroze. I have direct experience with this kind of thing.

okay, but have you tried not sitting 1 foot away from the monitor?

A sharp sprite without AA will look great no matter how close or far you are from the screen. A muddled piece of shit inside a trilinear filter will only look good if you are so far away from the screen that you can't make out what the fuck you're looking at.
Is this your argument?

Sitting one foot away from the monitor does not somehow magically imbue a digital display with analog rendering capabilities.

if the sprite is blown up too much sit further back and it will appear smaller. its not rocket science, just a practical solution

The console itself outputs NTSC or PAL retard, it's not RGB 8:7, you literally can't make the console output 8:7, not even the devs could see it.

I don't know whats wrong with me, but my eyes hurt when I'm playing metal slug with no filters. It isn't the frame blending.

I have to admit that it's not bad for making most of the picture look real smooth, but the fine details will always get fucked every single time. It will only get worse when you start the game since in-game pixel art is generally nothing but fine details.

But doesn't your pic prove you wrong? It's clearly a circle in 4:3, and an oval in 8:7.

Dude it's pinched vertically in the 8:7.

That's what I meant.

Wasn't wearing my glasses, apologies.

What aboot bilinear filtering?

I ran some numbers to see what kind of resolution you'd need to get perfect 4:3 without any kind of distortion (aka some pixels being bigger/smaller than others).

I got 1792x1344, which would mean that every SNES pixel would be a 7x6 block on your monitor. That's even more than VGA mode 13h, which would need 1600x1200.

It's kind of like how people who work on YouTube keep making annoying changes that nobody likes, it's to justify their existence. The people working on the emulators take donations, and nobody is going to donate to something that's been long since finished.