What the hell is it with peoples obsession with arena shooters on this board? Every thread about Overwatch, Paladins...

What the hell is it with peoples obsession with arena shooters on this board? Every thread about Overwatch, Paladins, any shooter that isn't an arena shooter has to have shitposters going on an elitist autistic rampage about how the game involves no skill compared to their precious arena shooter, when arena shooters only have a slightly higher skill ceiling than something like Call of Duty.

They are the exact same fucking thing except that arena shooters mostly rely on good projectile aim while Call of Duty is all hitscan. I enjoy both arena shooters and Call of Duty but its pretty funny how arena shooter delusional elitists try to convince themselves that they aren't eating from the same trough as Call of Duty players. Team based games like Overwatch, Dirty Bomb, TF2, require all of the skills that arena shooters require but add team based cooperation on top of that which includes a whole different set of skills that arena shooters do not have.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/http://8ch.net/v/res/10896428.html
archive.fo/https://8ch.net/v/res/11281500.html
archive.is/http://8ch.net/v/res/10875550.html
steamcommunity.com/id/turboscout7/
store.steampowered.com/app/357340/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=613510318
steamcommunity.com/groups/specksunreal
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kill yourself.

You make some good points. I agree.

Arena shooter is faster and has trick shot. CoD doesn't take skill cuz it' too ez

Sahgay

Almost all of the points they bring up involves having skill in positioning which I mentioned in my post.

OP is right

Tactical shooter masterrace. Arena shit is for socially successful normalfags who just want to chat with friends when they play

The problem with CoD is that it's marketed and developed to casuals. For example you get X kills and get a missile to hit a specific part of the map, that will give the player more kills giving a illusion of "skill"(hurr durr my K/D is 25/1 I'm better than you). Arena shooters on the other hand requires skill in various aspects like aim and positioning.

OP, you do raise some good points but the problem with the other games mentioned is that some games have unlockable classes/weapons behind a pay or grind wall. You CAN outskill players with higher gear than you but what happens when you face a opponent you the same skill as you but with higher gear? I've played Overwatch and the problem with it is that "the game have a class that is good for you", you don't have to "git gud", you don't have to train your aim, hell, with some heroes you don't even need good decision making. Thats why I think alot of people in this board don't like modern shooters.

Forgot the webm

You've never actually played an arena shooter in a decent level.

Yeah, nothing like getting held back by incompetent teammates.

None of the games I've mentioned really do that though except for maybe Paladins. Even with Paladins and their load-out card system you earn the in-game currency so fast you can get almost everything in the game after like 15 hours of play, I got every character and almost every card in the game after 20 hours.
For all of the projectile heroes like Zenyatta and Pharah you really do have to get used to their projectile speed before you are hitting shit.
That's true though, heroes like junkrat boil down to spamming down a choke point the entire match without much thinking.

1. we have tac shooter threads all the time, so kill yourself
2. the reason people hold arena shooters in high esteem is because aim and reaction time makes all the difference and shit like overwatch aim is secondary
3. Tons of people here loved TF2 before it became valve's hat money machine

> No mention of modes on cancerous games like CoD such as Gun Game, which are admittably challenging, and fun.

You need to go back.

Except they were mostly about controlling health and armour pickups and predicting your opponents movements, if you think that boils down to "positioning" you're trash, try harder next time.

As got everyone else, item control and skill based movement and central to arena shooters, accuracy is made more important due to high TTK and greater movespeeds, but it isn't the central characteristic that distinguishes them from modern shooters

Because UT99 is fucking fun.

What type of teamwork is involved with a ctf map or than picking up the flag when your teammate gets fragged and protecting the flag carrier?

Oh yes, because all those arena shooting nerds from the 90s and early 2000s were socially successful normalfags and not literally the definition of a basement dwelling nerd playing LAN parties for endless hours, right?. If anything ArmA fags are the most normalfag of them all, the amount of kids and rednecks on voicechats confirms it. Let me guess, you are a millenial?

They don't like modern shooters, but they don't play older shooters, either. Have you seen the xon thread? It's the same 5-ish guys most of the time. Nobody actually stuck around in that game to gitgud, and the few that did were already mostly quakefags in the first place. Then you get people like and half the people posting in this thread who have these warped preconceptions from watching flashy fragmovies that it's an aim game that all revolves around having good mechanics when that's just straight up not true. It could even be argued CS is more aim-focused than most AFPS. The only one in this thread who's said anything accurate so far is .

Sahgay isn't a downvote

CTF is one of the gamemodes that requires high team cohesion to be able to win. A team that works together best, can time their pushes, as well as keep a tight knit defense, will succeed every time over a team that falls apart, cannot time their pushes together, and whom cannot properly defend together as well.
Think of CTF as an ebb and flow, like the tides. You will always have one team pushing in, and one team defending, and waiting for the right time to push back. If you cannot time that correctly, either pushing, or defending, the enemy team will always find the hole, and exploit it, 9/10 times.

In other words, as first stated, a team that sticks together, communicates, and works together, will defeat any team who cannot organize. You'll notice it if you ever watch a ' Major League ' team go against a team that has only ever really done casual shit.

Yeah. It's all bullshit. But you got to admit, the people who do it for that reason, get intimate with how everything works, and work together? Damn, they are nigh unstoppable.

What the hell is it with OP's obsession with dick on this board?

Come on, nigger. I was just getting started. Don't leave me hanging here. :^) Or was your argument just that shit?

He obviously is from fagland, never met any Holla Forumsirgins so obsessed with cock even in the healthslut threads.

Bumping thread just so everyone can see how many dicks OP sucks at one time.

Holla Forums detected.

no

Overwatch videos always seem like such a joke, the whole play of the game mechanic seems like satire.

He truly is the biggest faggot on the board.

Bravo, you didn't even address the rest of my post.

Yeah they kind of were. Most guys like that had gfs and friends. Then may not have been popular friends or attractive women, but they got laid and had a social life.

Dirty bomb/Paladins have a card loadout system, TF2 have different weapons and CoD maybe have a weapon customization(dunno, never played the newer ones). I agree that some of these games are easy to obtain the Cards and weapons and TF2 weapons are just sidegrades
True, but my point is that the game creates heroes to make sure the players can fit in the game, with arena shooters you MUST learn the maps and you MUST know the weapons location and on top of that you must keep in mind the respawn time of the game changing buffs(quad damage for example). If you dont do that you will wander around the map getting killed and sometimes intagibbed because someone got quad damage and you didn't play safe.
And expanding on that heroes like Reinhardt cater to players that are good with aim, therefore to be effective with said hero you only need another skill that is Positioning(see webm)

True, I think with all the threads asking Holla Forums "What do you think X is Y" is that it boils down to Holla Forums not being one entity with pre-approved games and genres that we should like.

You are kidding right?

If you wanted a bait image thread all you had to do was ask OP.

I tried Xonotic with Holla Forums quite a few times. Not a fan of the guns.

wanted to say NOT good with aim, fucked that up.

I sure hope you guys don't actually do this.

I want CRAPCUNTS players and other low IQ people to go back to cuckchan

It's cause arena shooters are fucking good.
Do you even play video games?

That's entirely fair, so long as you don't try to make assumptions as to what Xonotic is about. The issue isn't simply a good chunk of Holla Forums not playing arena shooters, but also that they'll turn around and praise said arena shooters and then continue to spout misconceptions about them despite hardly ever playing them.

For every thread about an arena shooter, I see 10 threads about random animu shit that I don't give a damn about. I really don't know what you're complaining about OP.

I remember you, you're that faggot wrote a wall of text about how arena shooters suck and class based shooters are better.

I don't even give a fuck about first person anything, but judging from all the butthurt itt open stroke the never.

Most retarded thing i've read so far this year.

Not really, that's a generalization if i've ever saw one, you probably never played an arena shooter back then either.

Maybe because you have shit taste?

Tribes > Quake 3

Will Quake Champions be fun if the character classes aren't too unbalanced?

Likewise threads about arena shooters get derailed to Overwatch, TF2, etc.
archive.is/http://8ch.net/v/res/10896428.html
archive.fo/https://8ch.net/v/res/11281500.html

In fact, arena shooter threads don't exactly last long, have much activity to them nor do they have a persistent presence on the catalog.
archive.is/http://8ch.net/v/res/10875550.html

The subject of arena shooters and Overwatch/Paladins/TF2 are clashing with each other potentially because of the upcoming Quake game taking from the hero based shooters. And I can see that long term fans of a series aren't pleased with it.
But before you point fingers at a collective community, consider it as a possible D&C attempt.

Here you describe an FFA Deathmatch in an arena shooter which is a common game mode because there's no concern for team balance or an odd number of players- and there's little coordination needed for it to get going. I think if you play arena shooters in other game modes, you can find the genre is more nuanced.

It's one of the "muh hardcore" games no one can criticize because it's old, and no one wants to play because it looks boring as shit minus people who have been playing it for +15 years.

I'm not even mad, I actually pity you.

You have no semblance of an understanding how deprived, how disordered, how lacking in essential satisfaction and potential fulfillment you are.

user, you're a pleb.

Well the difference between the games you mentioned and arena shooters is that the games you mentioned take absolutely no skill to play and the combat revolves around "press a to win" with killstreaks and special abilities.

Overwatch/Paladins:
1. All weapons hitscan (except grenades)
2. Activating abilities takes no skill
3. Every ability is unbalanced

To get a kill in Overshit
Activate ability > get kills > activate ability > get kills > win

COD:
1. Literally no aiming required because auto aim and hitscan
2. Player not rewarded for skill but how many times he can hipfire into an enemy

To get a kill in COD:
Get killstreak > use killstreak to get more killstreak >use killstreak to get more killstreak > win

Typical Arena Shooter:
1. Aiming required, no auto aim or hitscan
2. Must find weapons
3. must dodge enemy fire
4. Player rewarded by kills when playing well (as should be the point of any fucking shooter).

To get a kill in arena shooter:
Find weapon > dodge enemy fire > aim > kill or be killed

To say an arena shooter takes a smidge more skill than COD is like saying Gordon Ramsay is just a smidge better than a line cook.

Maybe it's the fact that we don't like Overwatch you faggot

Arena shooters are literally the Melee of FPS'

Follow this person's advice OP.

With titles like Unreal Tournament 4 and Reflex on the horizon, the question begs-

How do we make arena great again?

This thread is made by someone with at most 0,02 K/D ratio in arena shooters, ignore it

What does ]* signify? Is it a head peeking behind a wall?

I have never understood the appeal of them. I enjoyed running through Doom levels co-op on dial-up but versus arena shooters have always been too autistic and shallow to interest me. It wasn't until the Battlefield series that I finally found an FPS with a ton of shit going on in versus multiplayer.

Also Enemy Territory. Fun stuff.

lmao

A good parallel is Street Fighter II come to think of it. Never was able to get into fighting games until Guilty Gear and Smash Bros. The old stuff (and the many games that ape them like King of Fighters) just don't have enough meat in their basic mechanics for multiplayer to stay interesting for long.

by not playing them because UT is shit.

Its just a bunch of dedicated autists who are perpetually mad that their favorite game type is not getting enough attention.

Arena shooters have more interesting combat with a wider variety of meaningfully different weapon types, and much more depth in map control due to importance of weapons and powerups. CoD is just wandering at 2 MPH on flat land shooting people, Quake is jumping around highly vertical maps at breakneck speed trying to choke the guy out of the stuff he needs to win while he tries to challenge your territory.

In practice, multiplayer deathmatch in arena shooters is chaotic silly fun with more speed and challenge. CoD is descended from that in a sense, but slowed way the fuck down and made retardedly simple for normalfags. It's dumb to call them the same thing when CoD is a way shittier version of the same idea.

The real meat of arena shooters is in 1v1 deathmatch, where there is a lot of mental skill in understanding and controlling your opponent. But few people (myself included) get to experience that because it's not fun putting in the effort to git gud at something that is only played by hyper autists that have been playing the same game for 2 decades. So instead we admire the idea of the arena shooter and hope that they will take off again some day before we get too old and our reflexes go to shit.

Back in the day most people weren't crazy bunnyhopping madmen, they were average players goofing around in TDM and casually 1v1ing people. There was a vicious cycle where arena shooters lost popularity due to consoles, and the hardcore fanbase alienated normal people with the uncompromising competitive game modes. I think somehow you would have to draw moderately talented players in, without dumbing down the game, if arena shooters were to become popular again.

Also TF2, because of the roots of the series as a Quake mod, controls much more like an arena shooter than any remotely modern game (be it nearly 10 years old). Heavy focus on projectiles, explicit zoning with weapon ranges and falloff, no aim assist or click-to-win bullshit, more intense DM than any other popular shooter, more mobility than any other popular shooter. It's just a shame that the devs are casuals who hate the competitive community, are forever butthurt that they don't play it the way they envisioned, and would definitely rather be working on a MOBA shooter/"CRAPCUNTS" right now. Also dumb hats fucking up the Norman Rockwell aesthetic and a shockingly autistic playerbase.

saying that arena shooters only have a slightly higher skill ceiling than something like call of duty sounds like saying silky, smooth 30FPS

t. Overcuck

I find it dumb how people act like quake is all about 'muh projectiles hitscan sucks' when most of the weapons are hitscan, and the two most important weapons in the game, rg and lg are hitscan, sure rl is projectile, but you don't use rl with the expectation of hitting at least half your shots like you do with the railgun or lg. You use it for movement, splash, and punishing when you get really good reads.

I think whole FPS genre is stuck right now since it tries to get new identity and trying to expand to become something new. I mean there are lot of team based fps that use similar system like dota clones (lanes, ability powers, classes with/without customization), FPS games with (((((RPG))))) elements slapped on it, casual to hardcore etc.

It has diversity of FPS types but i honestly i feel something "off" that makes me not interested on them. Maybe because it's saturated in the market? I don't see any good quality on any of them. OW has good animation but the gameplay feels shallow with the low skill requirment, mostly focus on this hero is counter for this hero and not unique gamewise since there are lot of dota and it's copycats or any other class based shooters. Fallout 4 and Far Cry series went downhill with "let's slap RPG on them!" and other issues that i think no need to explain. For the other FPS like classic arena and simulator shooter i think will be fine since they have niche audience that plays those games for long time but it's for niche so it doesn't attract big audience which i think it's good.

As whole i think it's gone to shit. Companies tries to create new disgusting hybrid games while thinking quality as in "big audience that eat shit". Sanitized environment and characters to attract circlejerks. Shallow gameplay for casuals etc. At some point the word "FPS" becomes a meme in the future and many use only atleast one core part in shooters and slap FPS on their game.

P.S if the whole writing is badly written then that might be my illiterature brain

Those guys aim crazy good. They spam, though. Strategically.

I could get higher accuracy than them, easily- against players on my level. But if I played against them, I wouldn't get good accuracy at all. I'd be trying to hit rockets around corners that they'll be avoiding, whereas they would hit them.

I don´t even know what this webm is trying to prove.

I mean, this webm is probably supposed to be critical about Overwatch, but it completely disproves this retarded "Hurr dur, ultimates are press Q to win buttons, hurr durr"-meme quite thoroughly.

Arena shooters don't take skill to be good at them. Most of it is just spamming your weapon around corners while you bunnyhop. Aiming isn't a skill either, you're either good at it or bad at it.

WEW LAD

Whole offices would play Doom and Quake deathmatch after work.

Wow shocked

>>>/suicide/

He has a massive shield you can throw up at a moments notice and a dash attack you can use to escape or pin/stun enemies with that allows a free hit after, often for a kill.

He is nothing like, say, Heavy in TF2 since he is really slow, has a huge windup on his minigun and no shield. Make a mistake with him and youre dead with no recourse.

OW is almost entirely about managing skill timers and throwing out ultimates when the enemy is grouped up which is all your webm really shows. The use of hard CC as a crutch for skill is really telling about the audience the game is catering to.

UT > Q3
Sorry fam

Kill yourself Overcuck

I just shat on OW and you think Im defending it? Are you fucking retarded? Read shit before you reply, dipshit.

aren't you a bit old to be browsing a board for teenagers and adolescents :^)

I hope someone spikes your food with strychnine.

yeah

Edgy as a slide of razor-blades leading into arsenic-laced lemon juice

People don't go on autistic rampages in threads about Overwatch and Paladins because they're not Quake III, they go on autistic rampages because those games are shit on their own merits.

its goon false flags to try to get Holla Forums to infight more than it already does.
quakefags and utfags will usually stick to their own threads. likewise for owfags and tf2fags.

Let's not start blaming roving autism on goons and other board-destroyers, all falling into that trap accomplishes is shitting up the board.

Overwatch and Paladins are shit and it's sad that a UT 4, a game made by a group of kikes with a shoe string budget is better than all of them.
But Holla Forums doesn't just like Arena shooters, we also like FAST shooters like Tribes.
We like games that are well designed.

Your argument is why people invented the Rocket Arena mod for QuakeWorld. You start with all weapons and max ammo/hp/armor and 1v1 or 2v2, etc etc etc. May the best faggots be gay.

Also
kek, no. COD was designed with a controller in mind and because of that it is

as long as "the board" means stupid meta bait threads, and not video game threads then im okay with that.

Shut the fuck up and play more promode.

Oh and posting my caps from the user who is probably OP.

It could but it won't.

What do you mean by the first pic? Your reticle isn't like that its an ultimate that has a long cool down period stop spreading bullshit disinformation instead you should point out actual flaws the game has like the lack of balance and its complete negligence of certain characters

It was in a thread where someone was defending the ultimate saying it's not an aim bot.

Is this what projection looks like? Because it sure as hell looks like projection mixed with anger to me.

I see where he's coming from, but having a strategy metagame doesn't make it a "not shooter," it makes it a shooter with a strategy metagame.

That bait was so low-effort that i'm not even gonna bother quoting it :^)

But this part is actually true. Mcdonalds makes it's money from selling it's brand name to small business owners who accept it in exchange for a fee.

If you play Overwatch and were born after 1996 please hand yourself.

/thread

I hand myself every night :^)

Were you born already an adult, mate? your agument would make more sense if you said "born before 1996".

Technically, at the level McDonalds operates now, it's pretty much a leasing business. They set up a shop somewhere and the brand name atracts clients. They can just hire someone to take care of their "restaurant" from the local population, not too different from renting a flat.
At this point, the brand name matters a lot more than the burgers themselves. Which is actually pretty scary.

Lets be more specific then, if you were born after 1996, play Overbotch and are shitposting in this thread about games you haven't/barely played then you should kill yourself.

Kids have an excuse, they are still kids. Adults that got to try the good games back when they were the best out there and now switched over should be the ones you would crucify.

Besides, not everyone got the oportunity to play those games back then. Either because they were too young or because there wasn't an internet connection in their place. Not every country is America or lives according to american pace, user.

The point isn't that they're not playing them, it's that they're making cancerous posts like the OP and half of this thread. I don't give a shit that they're playing garbage, I give a shit that they're making asinine comments about games they've barely/never played while putting their kiddyshit on a pedestal, on fucking Holla Forums of all places. The people in the same age group who have never played arena shooters but put them on a pedestal for oldfag cred are almost as bad, stop being parrots.

As long as we're talking about objective reasons why Overcuck is shallower than its competition, I'd like to point to this video which gives a pretty clear explanation as to why resource systems (traditional arena shooters, and most shooters) are inherently more complex than cooldown-based systems like Overcuck and Paladins.

If you don't feel like clicking it, the gist is such: in a game like TF2, each class has a certain number of weapons, each of which has a certain amount of ammunition in the gun itself and in reserve. Some weapons reload shots individually, and some reload magazines. From this, when you're presented with an enemy (say, Soldier vs Demoman), you have the following questions to ask yourself:
And so on. Overcuck's character abilities are all binary, so you either have them or you don't. The broader (and shallower) questions related to MUH MAP POSITIONING are still relevant, but the question of having enough ammunition isn't relevant because every single weapon in Overcuck reloads as a magazine and does so quickly. They also have infinite ammunition, which is a counterintuitive design choice in game with somewhat high TTK - if you can just sit back as Junkrat and spam bombs at a choke point without ever running out, you have no incentive to change your strategy unless the enemy does something because you don't even need to walk over to an ammo crate.

TF2's ammunition system will inevitably create some lulls in the gunfire for the opposing team to stick their heads out. If there are enough engineers to alleviate this with dispensers, then that is a sign of good team play, which works as its own reward for coordination.

Titanfall 2 also has infinite ammo reserve for its players, but given how fast it is, how low its TTK is, and how small pilots appear on your screen compared to the size of the maps, it makes sense. You have infinite ammo because you're meant to fly and grapple around while shooting people without worrying about your ammo reserves. The average player's life is going to be quite short simply due to the nature of the game. Titanfall 2 also gives players access to abilities once piloting the mechs, but given how much more survivability the mechs have than the average player, it makes sense for them to have to make more meaningful tactical decisions regarding whether or not an ability is worth using. Even then, there are several mech abilities which are charge-based (they work as long as you hold down the button, then recharge, or have multiple charges instead of just one).

Neither of these two games are perfect, but they're both leagues ahead of Overcuck. One was made 10 years ago and the other was published by fucking EA. If you want to enjoy Overcuck as a casual popcorn game to play with friends, then that's one thing (which should disqualify you from posting on this board, but I digress), but don't pretend as though the game is anything but an unholy amalgam of stolen ideas and lowest common denominator gameplay.

"traditional" arena shooters only feature one resource, ammo, and that's it. The comparison that guy did works against Team Fortress because that's not a conventional arena shooter.

Your point also doesn't work when using TF2 because picking the right weapon for the job is a binary choice for many classes between primary or secondary. Convetional arena shooters would fit the bill since you can have 9 or more weapons at any time for different situations but they miss the resource part and it's not like about 3 of those guns will trump all others anyway.

Hilariously enough, the very questions you ask go through CoD players, which is why they switch to the secondary (faster than reloading, longer range if using a shotgun as primary) or even use melee.

you are correct, this only works if the enemy does nothing against it, which they will do. That's the whole point of having infinite ammo, things don't change for a team because an enemy has wasted his ammo, they change if they come up with a strategy to turn things around.

It's also funny that you mention Junkrat and then talk about binary abilities when his mine has a myriad of uses, from environmental kills, movement, juggling and breaking teams. And you can even put one out and wait the cooldown to use 2 in quick sucession.

If you're a bad player. Any decent TF2 player knows very well where the ammo pickups are and to conserve ammo. If you manage to run out of ammo in the middle of a firefight or too far away from an ammo pack, it's because you're a bad player. And this isn't even counting Dispensers.
Basically, the limited ammo in TF2 only matters to punish bad players that can't conserve ammo or know the map.

That's a funny double standard. You have infinite ammo in Overwatch because you're not supposed to care about that, you're supposed to stick with your team and work with them.
And just like it would suck in Titanfall if you wanted to grapple and wallrun around shooting people but couldn't because you wasted all your ammo, it would suck to tell your team "wait a second, I ran out of ammo, see you in a few seconds".
Oh and the TTK in Overwatch is actually fairly short to the point that some people even complain about that.

Also, funnily enough I think Blizzard agrees with Mister Caption.
Bastion has had it's healing changed from a cooldown based ability to a resource based one that he expends and recovers with time, much like Dva's Matrix.
So the game is moving towards resource-based gameplay.

Team Fortress isn't an arena shooter to begin with.

Because they're fu-
OP Confirmed to have literally never played an arena shooter. If you sat down and fought me or any other actual arena FPS player in Quake (or even some braindead VS player) you would get your putrid little anus destroyed. You probably can't even wrap your tiny brain around the mere concept of item control and smart use of skill based movement.

*braindead CS player
Excuse me I'm inebriated.

Well, that's a given but not like it's a point anyone wants to acknowledge.
Team Fortress, Overwatch, Paladins and etc are indeed different games than arena shooters but they are judged as if they were in the same category and considered bad for not living up to the standards of said category, that's what's ridiculous.

Think very carefully before you use that argument. A game being fun is certainly a good thing, given that it's the primary goal it should strive for, but a lot of people will give you flak for using that argument as it sounds more like an excuse.

Christ, that turned into internet tough guy really fast.

It's less of an internet tough guy sentiment as it is me telling you that you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

They feature health, armour, and ammo, each of which are broken into several subtypes (small, medium, large, shards, for instance). Try again, faggot.

This varies from game to game, but I don't think many long-lasting arena shooters feature universal ammo the way a more accessible game like TF2 does. Quake certainly doesn't, which introduces its own rock-paper-scissors mindgames into managing ammo pickups: rockets and rails are going to be worth more than shotgun shells or machine gun rounds because the weapons associated with them are more useful in the hands of a skilled player. If the players want to control the rocket pickups, then that encourages them towards a certain section of the map, which creates a precedent both players are aware of and which can be played around.

Even if you think this is a meaningless distinction, it's one which isn't present in Overcuck, since the only thing you can pick fights over is health packs. Players simply don't have to worry about ammunition resources, or anything like armour.

Debatable at best. The difference between those weapons for a soldier using the stocks might not be much at medium range, but the difference between something like the direct hit and the liberty launcher are very big. It doesn't matter if the weapons suck or not, the gameplay decision is still there to be made, however small you might think it is.

And almost no Overcuck characters can switch weapons, eliminating the decision completely and boiling it down to the simple binary of using an ability or not. TF2 might not be the deepest shooter ever to be made, but Overcuck is even shallower, which is my point.

I never said anything about CoD you illiterate mong.

And so does the Demoman, but he didn't have to have his grenade launcher removed from him and given two buttons to control his sticky detonations.

And if you're a bad Overcuck player, it won't. Almost as though the game is less complex, and thus worse.

Overcuck has a spate of heroes whose entire role is to support other heroes. You don't need to remove something as simple as ammo conservation in order to encourage players to support each other.

Three or four abilities out of more than a hundred isn't moving towards anything.

Calling someone an internet tough guy doesn't really work when they actually can back up their argument online.

Sure thing buddy. But if we are going that road, your favorite game is trash and my favorite game is far superior because if you played my favorite game, I'd kick your ass too. Don't believe me? That's because you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Oh, you wanna consider those too?
Well Overwatch features health as well, plus Armor and Shields that work mechanically differently than Health.
As far as I remenber from Quake\UT, Shields were just extra health that mitigated some but not all the damage you took to your Health.
Mechanically speaking, the Shields and Armor from Overwatch are far more interesting as they have their own unique quirks that help with different playstyles.
If the best you can do is "small\medium\large" for complexity, that's sad.

Ammo is spread pretty much all over the map. There's ammo pickups everywhere in most of those games plus whatever you get from the weapon pickup itself. It's not a meaningfull mechanic at all. Compare that to healthpacks which are actually meaningfull and present in the game.

Not debatable at best. If you want to bring secondary weapons to the table, you're already starting to sound like a pleb. Not to mention that everytime the secondary weapons change this simple equation, it's regarded as shit design, like the Demoman changing from defensive area denial to offensive melee specialist because lolshield. This is a non-argument at best and you being full pleb at worst.
Primary has a specific range to work with, if you can't then you use the secondary. That's it.

Those that can usually feature a long range weapon and the alternative is a secondary fire mode that can be used for close range. Those that can't aren't supposed to fight at long range to begin with.
For instance, Widow has 2 weapon firing modes depending on the enemy location, but Dva's not supposed to be snipping people so she only gets medium\close range shotguns.
Because of this limitation, some characters have their gameplay revolving around changing firing modes (Widow, Torb, Bastion) while others have their gameplay revolving around proper positioning (Hanzo, Dva, Ana)

Your point sucks because you're comparing both games in a metric that doesn't even apply to them.
As arena shooters, they are fucking terrible, but then again they are both horrible RTS either and that's something not even you would argue.
As team based shooters, Overwatch does a far better job at promoting and rewarding teamwork than TF2 ever did and even better than traditional arena shooters ever did.
If you want "1v1 me fgt" and "personnal skill", you should go play arena shooters, but if you want to work together with other people, you should play team based shooters, of which Overwatch happens to be one of the best.

Shows how much you know. The sticky launcher is replaced with the shield because his RightMouse button is used to detonate stickies, much like Junkrat.
And since he has to switch weapons to even throw stickies, he's the one that had to "have his grenade launcher removed"

That's changing the goal posts and not even in a very gracious way. Clip Size still matters a lot for the game, much like it did in TF2 and spells the entire difference between several fights. It's not like any Soldier would ever go to battle with only 5 rockets left anyway.

It is indeed moving, even if very slowly. Several abilties are straight up impossible to move towards a resource system without extensive reworking, like Helix Rockets or Hook, but it's still a change towards more resource based abilities.

And they are free to do so instead of doubling down with:>>11914735

It's almost justice to see you all collectively shit yourselves knowing quake is getting pozzed through the roof.

What? Which arena shooter are you talking about?

You're right, shooters should all be empty boxes which the players are just dropped into to duke it out, where only aiming matters, complex map geometry and other elements that require the player to do anything besides aim and shoot are a waste of time, and do not reflect actual player skill.

Kill yourself.

leave it to the weeaboo faggot to talk about arena shooters.

You have to be good at shooting for any of the more complex strategies to even matter. The opponent won't give a shit how much of the map you control if they know you'll miss most of your shots anyway.

Quake and Unreal Tournament mostly.
There's Shields, Keg-o-Health and Redeemers to worry about and give depth to the game, but those are not resources in the same line as the resources we are talking about here.
Those are things you want whenever possible at all times and you can contest them out of your oponent, while these types of resources are limitations on your arsenal that require strategic thinking on how and when to spend them. Fitting this category, only Ammo fits the bill.

Now, now, there's no need to be mean or spew Holla Forums memes.
There's indeed a nice layer of strategy and game design surrounding those items, like how the timer for both Shields is different so at a specific moment both are up and the winning player can't hog both, giving the other player at least a chance at a comeback.

And there's no need to belittle that detail in gameplay, it's what those games are built around after all and anyone that enjoys them has a plethora of games to choose from.
You have as much of a reason to complain about arena shooters being about hogging resources as the fools have for complaining about Overwatch being mostly about teamwork.

He was specifically talking about resource management, he never talked about maps or geometry. Good reading comprehension, buddy.

I was taking his reasoning to its logical conclusion, he's saying an element is not a worthwhile part of the game because it's not aiming and shooting. If we carry on from this, memorising the map and making use of cover are not aiming and shooting so according to him don't reflect ones skill in an FPS.

Congratulations, I actually thought you weren't trolling.
Nigger, allow me to be perfectly clear: one of the most visible reasons as to why Overcuck is a shallow game for retards is due to there being almost nothing on the map to contest except for the glowing red objective, health packs, and various choke/vantage points, none of which are unique to its gameplay systems.

Not counting objectives or pieces of map design, Overcuck has:

Not counting objectives or pieces of map design, Team Fortress 2 has:

Quake 3 has just as many types of health packs as TF2, along with:

Please explain to me how Overcuck's resource management and map control is anywhere near as complex as these other games. If you dislike comparing Overcuck to Quake, that's fine, just compare it to TF2 and tell me how having a third as many pickups makes the maps more complex.

You won't, of course, because it's impossible. But given that you seem to think the Demoman HAVING TWO WEAPONS is the same as Junkrat HAVING ONE WEAPON AND SEVERAL COOLDOWNS, I would love to see you try.

MOBASSFAGGOTS PLS GO

There's a breaking point at which that doesn't really work, though.
If your oponent has only half the accuracy than you do but manages to get double the health you get, it evens out. Keep going this line and as long as he hogs health packs, he can have a worse aim than you and still come out on top.

Furthermore, keep in mind that many of these games are lauded for bunnyhopping, strafejumping, rocketjumping and high speed. All movement techniques that not only help you control the map much better but also turn you into a very highly mobile hard to hit target.
This essentially means that you require a greater aim from your oponent to actually hit you.

So there's a breaking point here, where your ability to go fast invalidates the ability to aim of your oponent since you get more pickups for ammo and health and demand a far higher ability to aim from him.

You were making assumptions and reducing arguments to the absurd. You were building a strawman, that's what you were doing.
The map geometry matters a lot for aiming as well, from height advantage to cover, it's not at all a "logical conclusion" from his point.
Aiming with arcing projectiles depends a lot on the map and aiming with long range hitscan weapons depends a lot on controlling long corridors or wide open areas after all.
But do keep making assumptions, I'm sure one of them will be right, eventually.

I always thought people bragged about how hardcore these games where because they liked spamming jump and shooting people in the torso. Now I understand that it's also because they think hoarding the spawns is a skill.

You fucked up.

I'll stand by my point.

Not the point of the game. The idea is to focus the fight in a specific location (the payload of the capping point), not have everyone spread around the map chasing for powerups like it was deathmatch. Congrats on being retarded yet again and still demand the game be built a specific way so it fits a game genre it isn't.

Nigga, it's still health packs and ammo packs. You're grasping at straws here at this point. You wanna go that road, UT had Redeemer, Keg-o-Health and Shields on top of ammo in pretty much every game mode, TF2 isn't that better than OW at this rate.
Besides, TF2 is 12v12, not 6v6 like the competitive community will want to tell you, of course the maps need more pickups and of course it's balanced around people going around chasing those instead of all clashing at the same time towards the same point.
Again, you're complaining about the game not featuring something that doesn't even make sense being featured in it.

It's the one fucking point you're right and it's because of your own retardation. Why are you comparing an arena shooter with team based shooters? Why not compare an RTS with Overwatch and complain the game is shit because it doesn't feature Wood, Food, Gold, Iron and Stone as resources as well?
The point of Quake is to run around the map as fast and efficiently as possible hoarding resources and using them to your advantage.
The point of Overwatch is to converge towards a single point and work with your team to crack whatever defense the oposing team laid there.
If you can't see how spreading powerups around the map is counter intuitive to the game design, go see Battleborn.

Well at least someone has a few neurons still firing in that bone box of his.
Play arena shooters for 1v1 deathmatch, play team-based shooters for the teamwork. Don't mix both or play one expecting the other.

What are some cool fragmovies that aren't cringey as shit?

the average arena shooter player is either a tourneyfag burnout from the late 90s-early y2k that never "got with the joneses" and disregarded any changes a la Quake 4 and Unreal Tournament 3 (and granted, UT3 has aged surprisingly badly), or some high-schooler trying 2 gain xtra myserious 'respect credits' to show how 'true' and 'authentic' they are to their 'gamer lyfestyle', bcuz theyre just that hardcore

/carles
>tfw nobody will ever notice your OC

UT3 aged badly because of it's unoriginal graphical style. It was a straight rip from Gears of War and it didn't suited the game at all. At times you were killed by what appeared to be a pile of rubble, but turns out it was another player.

The gameplay evolved a fair bit from UT2004, from the Shields being localized pieces you could combine and gave you special abilities (extra jump from the legs, 1 headshot immunity from the helmet) to how Bombing Run was incorporated into Warfare. It even had the Taridium Minigun from the first UT that looked and sound really better than the regular minigun.
Even the story was neat and got a few nice twists.

Some features required some more work, the hoverboard should have been a vehicle from which you'd be able to use your regular weapons (maybe not the Avril) and the Orb could have proper receptables and a way to throw it instead, maybe.

Too bad what the people wanted was a carbon copy of a game they have been playing since forever because it's the only thing they are good at, despite the fact it wouldn't help the game popularity at all.
Go ask Xonotic and similar game communities how do they fair. Better yet, go see Red Eclipse for a much more fun arena shooter with better movement and gameplay that actually does worse than those games.
What arena shooter players want is validation in the form of winning yet again at a game they can play really well. No new game is gonna give them that since it requires learning something new (and therefore it's not as good or deep)

Arena shooter is literally the sanic of FPS genre. The fanbase is truly autistic. No use trying to argue with them.

OW has NO resources to worry about. It's just a MOBA but with FPS controls.

can't deny that tbh. What really gets to the point is that Xonotic, Red Eclipse, and Sauerbraten (RE is just a completely different game at this point) are the only "long-running" arena shooters with a consistently strong-ish pulse, with Sauerbraten very slowly sliding downwards into a pile of inactive devs and userbase. But you can't even count the amount of failed Arena Shooter revivals on two hands anymore now, when they are all damn near the same experience as a $15 game from 1999. While all the arena shooters past Quake 3 / UT2k4 do improve on the formula, incremental changes and upgrades don't get people buying copies (unless you're a big-budget series with a treasure chest full of money specifically for Marketing). The multiplayer side of Quake 4 after the old Raven patches was rock fucking solid, but it was too little too late as Intel dropped their sponsors for Quake 4 Tournaments, and transferred their shit to Counter-Strike (and later Starcraft).

I could write a fucking essay on the weird-ass world of open source FPS games, and why they are so much more notable/higher-profile compared to virtually anything else F/OSS vidya comes out with (and with extra rare exceptions). Probably because of how much more people become impressed with 3D games in the most half-baked state over a well-made 2D game.

Ammo for everyone (clip size does matter far more than total ammo).
Dva's Matrix, Bastion healing, Torbs Metal, Symetra's turret and teleport charges, Reinhart Barrier, Zarya's Charge, Junkrat's Mines, Reaper's Souls, etc.

That would be Smite. You can keep on hammering down Moba all you like, until the game progression is restricted by XP and itemization, until the game pace is dictated by farming mobs and the goal is to assault and destroy a base, it's not a Moba.

Arena shooter is literally sanic.

Great argument bro. Did I even mention sanic there?

Except this is the one shooter where it doesn't matter. You don't have to go to get ammo refilled. In this case Overwatch is less complex than COD.

Actually watch a game. They take more thought than any other shooter genre.

The sad thing is, some games are released as pretty much "not-Quake" and they flop hard because they don't bring enough new things to justify making the change for previous players nor for new ones to actually try it.
And then some are released with very substancial changes to the point that they're pretty much an entirely new game but the old players don't want a new game, they want the same game they had before and the new players demand a lot more polish placed in those games than a few open-source nerds are gonna be able to put into.

It's fairly logical that only Overwatch, Paladins or Dirty Bomb and similar games manage to see the light of day because they're the only ones that actually try to make something somewhat different but at least put the minimum effort and polish to make it look appealing. Paladins is of those 3 the worst when it comes to presentation and still looks miles better than Red Eclipse, despite Red Eclipse being much better in terms of movement and weapons.

No, it is the shooter where it does matter. Having to reload in the middle of a fight because your aim sucks can and will kill you. It's such an important detail that Bastion is getting a buff with his normal gun going from 20 to 25 bullets in the clip and this helps him a lot.
The breaks you have to make to reload your gun matter a lot in Overwatch and can be exploited by the adversary with the advantage that it's a known element you can plan around, like Roadhog only ever having 4 shots, McCree only having 6 and Lucio firing in bursts of 4 projectiles or Sombra having a shit gun that can't kill anyone with a single clip.

And stop replying to the shitposter. He's just trying to rile you up with his Sonic comparison. You faggots shitpost constantly in the Overwatch thread, can't you recognize when someone is doing it too?

This fucking board is cuckchan 2.0 now.

So you mean like pretty much every shooter? It's amazing how you are taking the simplest thing that is common to almost all shooters and pretending it is worth anything.

The thinking man's fetish huh.

See

The level of mind games in a quake round is unmatched by anything in the FPS genre.

If it wasn't worth anything, it wouldn't be present in every other shooter either. :^)

Look, if there was a Bazooka in TF2 with the ability to hold 5 rockets before having to be reloaded and another that can only hold 4 but you can carry 150 rockets with you, or even having infinite ammo, people would go with the 5 rocket bazooka, because being able to fire an extra rocket before reloading is far more important than carrying a fuckton of rockets.

In fact, there's the Cow Mangler, a weapon that has no need for picking up ammo and even an usefull secondary firing mode that's rarely picked anyway because the "no need for ammo" is fucking worthless compared to +10% damage vs buildings.

In Overwatch, ammo isn't about conserving a large pool of bullets that you have to use sparingly in a long drawn out confront.
It's about looking at what's on the other side, what's on your side and devising a strategy to overcome the obstacle.
Having a limited amount of total ammo would not help or improve this in anyway. Junkrats would just hang around ammo pickups, Pharah's would drop down near ammo too, Tracer's would pass by pickups on their way to flank people, it would still work exactly the same way for experienced players, only the newbies would feel like shit whenever they ran out of ammo because that's something that would only happen to them.

Different kinds of thinking. Rotating pickups, memorizing where the weapons you need are and where the ammo spawns, etc is surely an important part of the game, but it doesn't compare to team tactics or proper logistics, like transporting jipes inside an helicopter to drop onto of the enemy base (yes, this works in Joint Operations)
It's not comparable not because it's worse but because it's something entirely different and anyone trying to argue like it isn't is retarded.

Also Tribes destroys all the console designed trash FPS to come out.

Overwatch isn't deep. The deepest things about it are things other games have as a small feature.
It's literally more simple than COD. There is nothing wrong with a casual game but when idiots pretend it is anything more than casual is where the problem comes in.

This, this is exactly what I think of OW, Assfaggots, Smash Bros and Halo/console FPS fanboys.

The closest to teamwork there is in regular Unreal is the Linkgun which is still a crapshoot in how it works.
You are right that other games have the same Overwatch has as a "small feature", but that's the point. Overwatch picks those small features and expands on them creating depth that way.

It's a different game genre, certainly not casual in it, and if you gotta bring it into a genre you're more familar with to try and prove your choice is the better one, it speaks more about you than about the game.
Like I said, complaining that Overwatch doesn't have depth because it's not designed like an arena shooter makes as much sense as complaining it has no strategy because it's not designed like an RTS.
You can keep on calling it casual all you like, that just means you accepted the competition against arena shooters, a competition that never existed to begin with and doesn't even make sense to be had as you'd be racing on two different tracks anyway.

Yeah, the game chopped up most mechanics that are vital to FPSs to please the newbies as you said, it's just more dumbing shit down to sell to youtube "gamers"

Gee I wonder why. Just go there and stay please.

HI GUYS

Nice to see everyone is being civil and well thought out in their discussions as expected.

I don't give a shit what any of you autists think but I do like watching and sharing frag vids, so here's some classic HAL/nzr0 for you all.

And here's part 2.

While Holla Forums does have an inordinate bias for Arena shooters, it's worth pointing out that most people here hate Halo, which is one.

But to answer your question, it's because most people on Holla Forums are hipsters that likes to bitch and moan about modern gaming, and Arena shooters where primarily a 90's thing. So by obessing over arena shooters, they can go FUCK MODERN GAMES AMIRITE LOOK HOW COOL I AM

I play fightan games, and while I don't think smash is one, it's retarded to say that it doesn't have competitive depth. It literally has more mechanical complexity and substystems then traditional fighters. As far as Halo, there's obviously much less skill involved in terms of advancement movement and map traversal tech (though halo still has more then people think) since an analog stick can't 180 while also doing platforming and all that, but there are other elements that make up for it , though perhaps not entirely.

I've seen those videos a hundred times and I'd watch them again if I weren't so tired right now. Good shit, though.

Also, breaking down Cod and Quake to their base components really doesn't make OP's argument viable. Having bought and played overwatch (and subsequently uninstalling it after hitting diamond alongside a friend) I can safely say that It lacks the depth of even TF2. It's more like LoL or SMITE, if they were first person shooters. It really has a stupid low skill ceiling so long as you're not a fucking retard. I have a newfound appreciation for the CRAPCUNTS label it was given.

Photoshop the guy in shades into Mark please.

The game isn't about managing ammo, it's about managing heroes, both yours, your team and the oponents. If you want to simply this with "knowing what's on the other side", that's on you.

And your second blurb applies so apply to hitscan weapons like a railgun or a lightning gun that I wonder if you even actually played Quake or Unreal Tournament at all.
I mean, it's patent you didn't played Overwatch since you're still complaining about "auto-aim" that is non existant save for two ocasions where it doesn't even begin to matter, why would anyone assume you played any game at all and you're not just a filthy secondary?

i find teamwork is so much more important in quake than all shooters i have played, outside of duels obviously and clones, since one good player can defeat an entire team so therefore to win you need to work together. if you want to see some teamwork in action in arena shooters you should watch some quake 1 4v4 matches

it actually is though, its like a slow quake with regenerating shields (but not regenerating health). there is armor (overshields), powerups (invisibility), big weapon spawns that need to be picked up, static spawns, im not going to say its the best arena shooter but it definitely is

Good god I understand gas chambers now

kek

How does it feel to be so butthurt after months of being BTFO?

Who are you quoting?

rednecks are bad. there's nothing good about being a redneck. By calling yourself a redneck, you are literally insulting yourself.

They are under educated, mouth breathing, out of shape, douchebags, diseased, ugly, incestuous, lazy, alcoholic, susceptible to cancer, have diabetes, gay, dippers, and are obsessed with outdated technology (trucks, tractors, etc.).
They have all the worst qualities of every race out there. They reproduce like, and work jobs like Mexicans, they have the education of Africans, they are as loud as African-Americans, and they fuck their sisters like white people.

Op wont understand and will keep shilling Overwatch in threads for years because it's his first FPS.

Name me a good "modern" multiplayer FPS released in the last 3 years. They are all badly designed because they are designed for controllers. See

I have been waiting this entire thread for one user to give a single reason why Arena shooters aren't better. Instead all that I have seen is

better than what, though? I haven't read any single word of the thread, but what are we comparing to?

cawadoody and shit are basically just arena shooters with a shorter TTD. so what defines an arena shooter? weapon pickups, unlimited weapon carry limit, small weapons list, simple gameplay (lack of offhand weapons or melee attacks)?

I mean that just sounds like "old game" to me; game design has moved on since the late 1990s and I don't understand why someone would want to play a game like that. my favorite FPS to date was blacklight: retribution which was a much deeper game than any arena shooter and I liked that about it. I'm an old hag who bought quake 1 shareware on CD at best buy and played quake III in college and I loved those games then but all this reverence of those old arena shooters in 2017 just feels weird. it's like someone going on about how great pushrod engines are, I don't get it, it's an old style and sure it's perfectly valid but I feel like newer game designs are better. you get more depth, more complex interactions. simplicity and elegance are all fine and well but another word for "simple" is "dumb".

You mean gotten dumbed down.
holy shit kek.
It was just a simple COD clone.
You are wrong. Newer FPS design is designed to take the importance of aim and intelligence out of the FPS genre.
You are the idiot playing simple COD clones.
Everyone starting on the map the same is one big part of it. Unlock shit is just a kike way of getting everyone to pay for DLC and ruins the balance of a game.

i think you are lying, quake is deceptively simple and i don't think someone who has actually played it would think games have actually gotten more complex beyond more variables of luck

so as far as actual arguments the only things I see in this post are that you feel newer FPS games are designed to "take the importance of aim and intelligence out of the FPS genre" and that "unlock shit is just a kike way of getting everyone to pay for DLC."

the latter point is fairly inarguable and I agree that unlocks are pretty annoying in a for-pay game, but I don't mind them in a F2P game. however the former point doesn't make sense at all. if we compare quake 3 arena and unreal tournament to newer games, there's much more requirement for aiming and careful positioning in the newer games where engagement ranges are longer, sometimes much longer.

I'm only talking about PC games; the PC vs. console argument is a whole other thing altogether and while I do understand what you're saying about the games being designed for controllers I don't think that applies to games which came out on PC first?

really? quake is very simple, though. you have four movement keys, jump, and fire. there are more elements to the gameplay particularly in competitive play like map control and advanced techniques like rocket jumping and plasma climbing but ultimately the core gameplay (particularly as a casual player) is very shallow. trust me, I was there, I played in mode X 360x480 mode because my PC didn't have an SVGA card so I couldn't use 640x480 mode …

strawman argument. there are plenty of reasons to dislike newer FPS campaigns (I don't like cutscenes or "cinematic" game design at all) but I'm talking about the game mechanics and generally multiplayer, not the level design

You know for the longest time I've looked at that first map and thought about some things.

Early FPSes kinda just mimiced adventure or RPG games at the time with big open environs because they really had no detailed way of handling it.

If you boil it down the first map does have a linearity to it in that you need to get to specific areas and there typically is a straight path to it. I mean in doom the entire level isn't open from the get go after all, some things are sealed off by the coloured keycards and you must get them to proceed. This is where linearity comes in, you can't go from A to K you need to go from A to B to C and down the line till you get to K.

the middle image is just a stream lining of this, you have to get from A to K still but they don't really make you backtrack. The objective will always lay ahead instead of 4 rooms back that you've already gone through.

The last image is a bit on but many shooters still use the middle model. Only exception I can think of is the Rise of the triade remake that was pretty good.

You have clearly never played an FPS made before 2004.
That is objectively false. See and
Controllers can't aim and therefore FPS took out the importance of needing to aim.

it is not "objectively false," and using excessively strong wording in your argument like that is a key marker that you don't really believe it… also ad hominem attacks like "you have clearly never x" (which is ad hominem because I have already stated I have extensive experience with these titles) don't lend credence to your argument nor discredit mine, they only sow annoyance and destroy mutual respect. let's try to maintain concord, friend

simply speaking, it's much easier to aim a weapon with a large hitbox and blast radius at a near target than it is to aim a hitscan weapon at a far target, user. I understand what you're saying – most games are made for consoles, console controllers suck for FPSes – but the way they did that was by using auto-aim. ergo, your argument falls a little short.

Git Gud

again, deceptively simple. is it more complex to manage two weapons at a time as opposed to every possible weapon at any time and countering enemies realtime? is strafejumping and air control and circlestrafing and other advanced movement options less complex than none at all? team fortress 2 is probably the closest thing this generation has had with any depth and even then, fresh out of the water from quake you wont know everything but will consistently do well even in "competitive". i have played quake for years now and am still shit at duels which means there is a lot more complexity. i think you should put your money where your mouth is and duel me in quake 1 or 3 your pick

Nice bait but I will take it as chance to post some good arena shooter vids. Stay mad skilless user :^)
intro skip 1:18
Enjoy fagets

Yes it is. The controller can't aim nearly as well as a mouse can and since modern games are designed for a controller they require less aim.
And putting in iron sighs, and cover mechanics and making it so all the enemies face your front, and regenerating health, and lower TTK, ect. All of these make the game easier and lower the importance of aim.
By your retarded logic simply putting on aim assist would make you good at playing quake.

It is also far easier to hit a slow moving enemy in a COD clone with a hit scan weapon than it is to hit someone moving 40 miles an hour in the air from your side with a rail gun.
Aiming in modern shooters is piss easy.

Also fucking watch the videos I am linking you too which disprove your posts.

part 2

quack fortress ebin movie

another quack fortress movie
part 1

part 2

part 3

typical quack 1 duel on aerowalk

Yes, the second image is a streamlining of the design philosophy in the first. It is one of the many cases where streamlining removed potential depth instead of making the game easier to play/use. I had no idea so many fucking faggots on this board didn't understand basic concepts of level design.

A level which criss-crosses itself presents opportunities to fight new enemies in previously explored locations, as well as the possibility of shortcuts, either found or made. There is a reason people use "corridors" as an insult when referring to a game's level design, because it makes the entire experience more forgettable. If you play a game and none of the environments make any lasting impression, why bother playing it?

Fucking kill yourself. You reek of redditard speak and normalfaggotry, and you probably have Downs to boot.

I truly wish I could reach through my computer and strangle you.

ye old but great movie from quack 3, reuploaded in better quality

part 2

I don't give a shit about the OP or anything in the tread, but holy shit nigger are you retarded. When someone is trying to have an argument with you don't sperg our like a fucking child because you can't provide a counter argument. Either show him how wrong he is, or accept that your in the wrong.

Look at my other posts, fuckstick. I've written close to a thousand words demonstrating why modern shooters like Overcuck are inferior to older ones like Quake and even TF2. If the other niggers here can't be bothered to read them (and judging by the deflection-heavy posts of the guy I was arguing with earlier, they can't or won't), I have every right to tell them to fuck off and come back only once they've been thoroughly unfucked.

that isn't typical at all these guys are madmen

quack 3 "gaymers food" fatal1ty sellout man making comeback from 0-8 score to victory

I don't know what your point is

Stop user. Try and form a sentence without forcing profanities. It makes it easier to take you seriously.

The first one is of a quake tournament which shows unmatched levels of aiming.
The 2nd explains how even PC FPS are dumbed down because they also have to make the game for consoles.

Bulat is typical 40 years old ruskie player
And reppie is your average 30 years old quack player, constantly making mistakes due to being high cause hes dutch
This is what you could be if you would spend your life playing arena shooters instead of cawadoody and cawadoody clones

People ABSOLUTELY go into other threads to shitpost about the superiority of arena shooters and you know it. They don't even wait for it to be a thread about shooters either.

Considered by most to be one of the best Quakeworld players of all time. His aggressive 'straight forward' playing style has elated the masses throughout several tournaments and eventually earned him the nickname 'The flying Dutchman'. Teamed up with his long-time Quakeworld buddy Image:flag_se.gif Razor they form one of the best and most successful 2on2-teams ever. The prefix that Reppie had in his team messages when he was in Firing Squad was FW, this was because Blixem was whining about RP and RZ (Reppie and Razor) looked too much alike. Reppie changed to FW standing for Fucking Wanker.

Bulat considered to be one of the best Russian QuakeWorld players since his debut in 2003 on a major Russian lanparty, finally winning Russian QuakeWorld League 13 in 2009 and becoming the undisputed reigning champion of Russia. Bulat started playing Quake in 1998 but had no internet connection until 2005. During the 7 years without internet access he played mostly against bots, which explains his stunning aim. Being an ethnic "Tatar" [1], Bulat speaks no English and only limited Russian, his native language being Tatar. He is from and resides in Ufa, the capital of the Republic of Bashkortostan, Russia [2]. Peculiar eccentricities of his behaviour and a remarkable kind of linguistic giftedness have earned Bulat a cult status among certain circles of QuakeWorld community. Numerous top players (LocKtar, Bps, Lakso and Goblin in particular) have praised Bulat's personality and worshiped him as an Idol. Unfortunately, due to the long distance from popular QuakeWorld servers, Bulat almost exclusively plays with a ping over 40 in Russia and ping over 52 in Northern Europe. This unfortunate circumstance currently limits Bulat's ability to conquer the European QuakeWorld scene.

You mean people go into threads about bad FPS and criticize them

well thats typical considering how many QW players are left, just the oldtime pros and almost no newcommers :^)
a sad vid related

If by criticize you mean compare them to quake then yes. Even if they aren't shooters. You know what the irony of all this is? We hardly ever have any threads about quake or arena shooters in general. Where is all this passion when it comes to something other than shitposting? I like quake, I would love to talk about it, but the only place I see discussion is in a DOTA thread or some shit where someone's like "you know what takes skill? Quake!" I never really considered quake to be this absurdly high skill curve game when I started playing it either, it was pretty intuitive and fun to me. That coupled with the lack of real threads makes me wonder if you guys even fucking play.

This is why most of arena shooter players here are frustrated, hence a reason why OP would go for such bait.
We are here but we dont really talk about what we play on usual basic, we talk about all other gaemz.
If we could only get some Holla Forums arena shooter games set and going…

can you explain why you think these videos "disprove" my posts? (do you think I haven't played and watched hours of promode?)

can you further explain why you think ironsighting, cover mechanics, regenerating health, and lower TTK all necessarily make the game easier?

just to head off the very obvious "durr regenerating health obviously easier", as an example, in a game with only regenerating health and no health pickups, it becomes much more difficult for someone to flee a fight and instantly recover, so it isn't necessarily easier, or "dumbed down".

you are grossly misrepresenting my points, user. I hope you feel guilty. (also, I never said autoaim doesn't make the game easier)

It's shows how much aim and skill is required in those games which are unmatched by modern tripe.
In the video
Slows down gameplay and makes it repetitive and boring since you are just sitting in one place
Like above means the player doesn't have to move around to get health.
Who ever sees who first wins and that's it.

This thread is what happens when you allow Overwatch and Paladins generals to be a thing. You brought this onto yourselves.

It's what happens when "volunteers" defend overwatch and ban criticism of it for months.
It turns the general into a hugbox so idiots don't realize that their game isn't perfect.

Except PC FPS aren't dumbed down because they also have to make the game for consoles. It really just sounds like you'd only be satisfied if every FPS ever made was some Quake clone.

Except that has never happened. Prove it has happened.

Small nitpick, COD 1 was not a console game, and still had the iron sights that slowed the game down. Still faster than the newer ones, but it was there.

The newest doom proves you wrong already

How new are you? There was at least one hotpocket who banned on sight, hell I even got banned for another anons posts in the thread.

The game was shit for more than one reason
Where is your proof?

FACE ME RIGHT NOW. NAME YOUR GAME AND WE CAN ORGANIZE. I OWN QUAKE 1, 2, 3, 4, AND LIVE. UNREAL GOLD, 99, 2K3, 2K4, 4. PAINKILLER, DESCENT, SERIOUS SAM, DOOM, HALO, XONOTIC, TEEWORLD, I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. I DON'T NEED TO KNOW THE LEVELS AND WILL TRY NEW SHIT

Faceball 2000 :^)

Lets extend that line of reasoning outside Holla Forums and to, I think, the real reason arena shooters are frustrated: no ones making them anymore. However, do we really want companies like blizzard and valve making them? It's a tough time to want anything to be developed.

Well I didnt save my ban message, maybe you can ask mark. Im sure he had a talk with the hotpocket in question because he stopped a long time ago.

So basically you have no proof.

I didn't, we have IDs here, newfag.

same shit niggerfaggot

This is some shit-tier b8

Dude, you're asking for proof on the behavior of a hotpocket on an imageboard. If you had been here a few months ago you would have seen it yourself, I only went into an overwatch thread once and I got banned. You can believe it didnt happen but what kind of point are you trying to make? Im also not the one who made the claim

sure, aiming and skill is required in those games, I don't think I ever said it wasn't? but that doesn't make any comparison to newer games … it's just a different type of skill, map control and reflex versus precise aiming and control of the deeper game mechanics available in newer games. all those amazing snap-shots with the railgun and ASMD are much more difficult in newer games where you have pixel-perfect hit detection and where you aren't using projectiles that are nearly the size of a player, hehe

what you're saying about cover mechanics is more subjective than anything; I'm not really a fan of them either but they don't necessarily make it "boring"; lots of people enjoy stealth gameplay for example and cover mechanics can scratch that same itch, hiding from an opponent behind cover or peeking out to take potshots. "repetitive and boring" is just your opinion, and that also doesn't explain why it makes the game easier, lol

re: regenerating health, you're going to be moving around anyway, right? even in a cover-based game you can't just sit around in one place, and in a game that isn't cover based but still has regenerating health (i.e. later halo games) you can't pick up HP to instantly turn around a fight. back in the day on q3a I always hated when someone would run away after taking a rocket in the face to go pick up health.

a lower TTK than quake doesn't necessarily mean "whoever sees who first wins." there's a lot going on in these games and the kind of skills that top-end arena FPS players display are even more useful in newer games. honestly, it sounds like you're really stuck in your ways and don't have a lot of experience playing modern FPS games. maybe you should try a game like Titanfall II to see what things are like these days.

How does it feel to be a newfag?

How about you actually make an argument instead of "le b8 XD"?

we actually could, i can host a mednafen server and we could face off in the super nintendo version

We have board logs and you get a ban message.
Probably because you were being a generic shitposting faggot, not because you criticized the game.

I bet 5 bucks that any of these faggots shitting on arena shooters are total nerds who can't get good. OP is too scared to fave anyone on Quake, proves my point.

Right, "one reason" isn't enough, that's why you ignore literally everything else wrong about nuDoom. Several of those reasons being (but not limited to): shittier level design, lower enemy counts leading to less challenge (despite having advanced AI, you can still jump over them to trivialize the fight), ammo/health piñatas, no meaningful or strategic ammo/health placement because of said piñatas, shitload of cutscenes and slower movement speed.
Those are all dumbing down the gameplay when compared to its first two iterations and it's surprising you're still grasping at straws like "but you're only talking about this one thing" when many other people have voiced concern about these things and many more in the past, on more than just this one game that is the current showcase of what's been happening to FPS since 2001.

I already told you I got banned for another anons shitposting in my previous reply

That isn't proof considering the poster you think is a volunteer was me and I'm not a volunteer and that there's nothing in those screencaps that indicate that person was a volunteer besides your autistic conjecture.

But they are for that exact reason. It's why
Ect, ect, ect are on PC shooters because they also have to design them for the console.

But I don't? There's a reason I've never played the game: it's bad. What are you even getting at?

Also
No. I like UT 2004, Tribes, Star wars battlefront, ect. None of these games are dumbed down pieces of shit.

That doesn't change the bans user.

to be clear I'm not shitting on arena shooters, I think they're a perfectly valid genre of game and I totally understand why people like them, I just think it's kinda played at this point and I don't know why people keep asking for more and shitting on any new game that isn't that. I don't even play overwatch but it looks a little interesting with the blending of FPS and MOBA tropes I guess, I think doing new things is interesting instead of doing the same old shit all the time

I was never all that good at arena shooters but at one time I was passable enough to be in a clan near the top of the old CAL. admittedly I was a benchwarmer tho

Pretty sure the half of those guys never actually played Quake III or even Unreal.

steamcommunity.com/id/turboscout7/
Cobalt store.steampowered.com/app/357340/
Map - Transmute steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=613510318
Best 3 out of 5

really sad about cobalt, I was gonna buy it but then MS bought mojang and I have a very strict policy of never, ever giving microsoft money ( ;∀;)

Pretty sure consoles have nothing to do with this. Games made on PC and for PC only have only had 2 weapons too. Example: most of the Novalogic FPS games.
Wasn't a thing console shooters invented.
I can name console shooters that have lean while naming PC shooters that don't.
Slow how? Slow running? Slow animations? Slow fights? Slow progression? You can't just say "slow gameplay" without actually detailing how an why a game is slow.
I've seen plenty of PC only shooters that don't have health or armor pick ups, and I fail to see how not having those means the game is "dumbed down".

Yeah okay, lol

But it does, because since that we me you were shitposting with I know what you posted in that thread, and none of it was legitimate criticism of Overwatch, just generic greentext shitposting and autism.

So? that doesn't stop you from enjoying a game you play

it stops me from buying it tho.

That you're ignoring the other dudes posts for a terrible strawman because you refuse to read their points and you still can't understand why those reasons are there: It's not because the devs are shit and can't make a game, but because it's a multiplat made with the Xbone in mind. Same with Halo and two-weapons only design which spiralled this consolization shit in the first place, and i din't even mention the goddamn weapon wheel that stops time for you jesus crist.

how about dood2, name your source ports and lets go duel/dm/ctf/whatever you want :^)

I don't think you know what "damage control" means.

Paladins, Dirty Bomb, and TF2 are all shitty games though lmao

it's harder to select weapons with a directional pad.
But they did standardize it. It's because it allows the player to stay in place making shooting easier.
Yeah but they generally don't because lack of buttons.
No fact pace reaction time needed
Because they are copying COD.

How? They were banned for criticizing a game.

Pretty much, faggots refuse to acknowledge some games are dumbed down even with PC ports because they are designed FOR CONSOLES, things like Overwatch and Halo are incredibly slow and simple while things like TF2 which is casual as fuck yet nowhere near those two despite being on consoles too.
The reason is TF2 didn't dumb itself down to appeal to babies who can't rocket jump or even aim, while Halo and anything Blizzard shits out try to hold their audience's hand so they don't feel bad about being shit.

Don't bump, you fucking retards.

I think you dont understand what causation and correlation are either.
I don't think you understand anything about what you're talking about and are merely replying in a defensive tone denying all allegations, no matter how true and rational, out of cheer butthurt.

I used to like Halo, but an Arena shooter, it ain't.

And? I just gave examples of PC games that did two weapon limits.
Yes and it works in some games and is terrible in most others. The problem is regenerating health has no penalty.
It's not that hard to map multiple buttons to one kind of command.
But what is "fast paced reaction time"? Reacting within 200 ms? 100 ms? 50?
These games came out before CoD.
I just said how, you dumbfuck, learn how to read.
And calling anybody who disagree with him a shill while sperging out for dozens of posts.

The first 3 Halo games are undeniably arena. You spawn on equal terms with your opponent (same weapons, same health, stats, etc) and are locked into a match in which you have to control weapon and maybe powerup spawns depending on the map.

Is it really basic? Sure. Is it fast? No. Is it particularly good? Not really. But it definitely is arena, even if it is really simple and barebones.

Yeah, but it was standardized by consoles that lowered the bar for everything.
yeah but console games don't like having to slowly switch weapons. That is why they only want to. Also they are dumb.
Anything that is faster than what a controller can do.
Name them.
Also yes, Star wars battlefront did take more skill. It didn't have regenerating or cover bullshit, had different classes that were actually useful at different things and didn't have iron sight bullshit.

do you use steam or an irc channel? i use zandronum but im not opposed to using chocolate or whatever else

steam Wololo9000
Skullshit aka zandrodumb/Zdaemon/Odamex

These games came out before they were "standardized by consoles".
But isn't your complaint that console shooters are slower?
How do you define that then, tell me.
I already did, the Novalogic shooters and other FPS games that weren't traditional arena shooters.
You called them shitty without ever elaborating and called anybody who disagreed with you a shill. That is shitposting.
Where is your proof this has ever happened?
Maybe if you were like 6 years old, lol. The game wasn't challenging at all, user.

As a matter of fact, you did: "there's much more requirement for aiming … in the newer games"
You draw a comparison between, presumably old shooters like Quake and Doom which had projectiles ("easier to aim with") and, presumably new shooters like CoD and Battlefield which have almost no projectiles. Somehow new shooters exclusively take place on long-range maps? How can something so vague possibly be a supported claim?

Unless you're one of those oh-so-aloof people who just like to criticize others' arguments by picking apart every second word and capping it off with "I'm just helping you user :^)" Perhaps you could just admit that the prevalence of aim assist in modern shooters, by your own admission, makes them easier, which contradicts what you've been saying.

It's a symptom of the video games industry being so universally awful at the AAA level these days. As far as shooters go, I call it Wolfenstein Syndrome, after Wolfenstein: The New Order. TNO was a decent shooter, which freed player movement and encouraged aggressive play. It was by no means perfect, but compared to CoD and Battlefield, it was a breath of fresh air for many normalfags who started playing in 2007 with CoD as the dominant shooter.

Then, CoD: Ghosts tanked because players were tired of paying every year for the same boring gameplay and the same reused assets and engine. They needed a way to make people interested, and increasing the movement speed by 20% and giving everybody an airdash was the simplest way to do it, because other AAA games had already given players a bit more freedom of movement. Somewhere along the line somebody got the bright idea to make a shooter with ASSFAGGOTS design (since LoL and DotA are so popular, anyway) to combine the popularity of the two genres. I believe this is due to the success of pseudo-ASSFAGGOTS games like Smite and its innumerable ripoffs, but I can't be 100% sure. Then the industry started cannibalizing itself again, and look where we are now. Overcuck is being heralded as some pillar of design, even though all it's doing is stealing character designs from media the last 40 years and stealing gameplay designs from the most successful video games from the last 10.

This right here? This is why I am arguing with you so much. You're ignorant to the major trends of the market, you don't have any conviction in your standards, and yet you still claim to be just as correct as people who care about game design.

Fact: shooters have been mixing ASSFAGGOTS into them for years now (Monday Night Combat being one of the earliest examples), to the point where the industry is oversaturated with them. Overcuck is not "trying something new," it's the newest trend with Blizzard polish behind it. Don't believe me?

Hearthstone took off a few years ago and sold like hotcakes, which was the cue for everyone and their dog to make a card game. CRAPCUNTS are the newest iteration of this inbred video game tradition.

*more detail for the CoD Ghosts and Wolfenstein point, since I know I presented them as having inaccurate release dates
I should have said something like CoD Ghosts tanked, which meant the execs scrambled to find something new to grab players' attention. The success of Wolfenstein likely influenced their subsequent design decisions.

He probably was thinking of the new star wars battlefront for consoles, which does have regen health and is casualized to shit. Still, his arguments amount to "no u" and ignoring every other point he can't tackle, which is kinda sad really, he probably has 20+ posts on the thread defending this shit and he can't even refute a single claim. I wonder if he's a shill, someone who is suffering from buyer's remorse or is simply underage.

well the problem is that what you're saying assumes that autoaim is enabled, which means playing on console. as I said before, I'm talking about playing on PC exclusively, which means no autoaim. autoaim certainly does make the game easier – lemme explain why I said what I said and where I'm coming from:

1) I said newer games take more aiming skill than older games
2) people said newer games are designed for shitters and have autoaim
3) however, I'm talking about PC games which do not have autoaim (or have it disabled) and which, having been designed for it, are thus actually much harder than older games which didn't have it and weren't designed with it in mind.

there, see? sorry it was kind of confusing, I didn't explain it very well across a bunch of posts

ok, wait, you're reading way too much into something I said casually with no context, lol. I obviously know about MNC and all the other games (why didn't you mention sanctum? what about savage?) that have done interesting things with the FPS genre. I am by no means saying Overwatch is the only or the first game to do these things. relax user, I'm not the ignorant person you think I am

in FACT, I will wager I know more about games history and design than you

No, I was thinking of the first Star Wars Battlefront.
How?
Where?
Nice ad hominem.

What games user?
They are but they will cut out anything they consider "Fat" because the controller isn't good at handling it.
Anything you can't do with a controller.
These aren't me, they are caps from the ban list.
But someone has the right to call a design shitty without getting banned.
Look at the image.
Hi reddit.

Why don't you watch the videos I linked and dispute them then?

Monday Night Combat doesn't have Aeon of Strife gameplay what so ever and neither does Overwatch or some of the other games you mentioned.
Okay I see what you are now.

Jesus christ.

Exactly my point, you have no counter argument, either a snide remark or a "that doesn't disprove what i said" that ignores the whole of his point. And coming into points.

You still haven't replied to this and i doubt you even have any strong claims or arguments against this, which is what everyone's trying to make you understand.
You're a faggot nigger jew retard that can't read, please use this to discredit everything i said because you can't form arguments and prefer to be perpetually offended at people for calling you out on your bullshit.

Okay, here's the rub. Don't even bother debating me on this because I've thought about this for over an hour and there's no way that I'm wrong.

REAL Arena shooters like quake or unreal are played primarily as 1v1 games. Therefore, they need to be more mechanically complex because they are basically tests of mechanical skill and little more.

On the other hand, the focus of a team shooter (or any other team game, for that matter) should be primarily about coordinating with other people in real-time. Team-based shooters should not be solely about mechanics to such a degree that it's possible for one grandmaster player to beat five diamond players. Otherwise, what's the point of the team aspect? It's the same reason that relay races in swimming and track are stupid: no one cares if you can gather up four competitors to go faster than four other competitors. If the team challenge is scored by little else than the sum of the individual scores, then just take the two best individuals from each team and play them head-to-head. Sure, it might be fun to roflstomp a bunch of newbs, but from the perspective of "good" game design, it just doesn't make sense. It's the same reason why football is a better spectator sport than basketball. A football team needs to work together, while in basketball, you can just hand it off to the best player and so he can draw fouls.

Games are not simply meant to be played for fun; there is a higher purpose behind them. They are meant to test some aspect of your character. If you are playing a game for fun, then you should re-evaluate your life. The team-based game should reward a group of players who are decently skilled mechanically, but who can think and react together.

Decent post, but:
What did he mean by this?

Why? This means that you should have 5 v 5 of the best team mates. Look at Counter Strike as an example. In that game 1 good player can destroy an entire team but it is still a team based game.

Stop arguing with black science man

You're an idiot, an idiot who eats up marketing terms. How the fuck does Monday Night Combat play like Aeon of Strife, a Warcraft 3 mod? Tell me.

Because you never put forth an actual argument besides "ur wrong because I said so". I'm asking you to actually prove YOUR statements.
Where did I do that?
Because I'm not autistic and I don't need to monitor this thread every second.
nuDoom was set up to be shit no matter what, even if it wasn't designed with console play in mind first. Everything about the development of the game set it up to be terrible. The fact Zenimax owns the IP through Bethesda, the fact the development staff at id Soft had little to no experience with the series before, the fact they outsourced the development of the multiplayer module of the game, etc. Anybody who wasn't retarded could have seen how bad it was going to be back when nothing came about the original Doom 4 announcement back in 2008.

Kek.
It was based off of Dota, that is why.

Where did I do this?
Well yeah, you're using a term made up by Riot Games used to market League of Legends, a term that doesn't describe anything specific about a game and could be applied to games that don't even play like League of Legends. People will get mad when you run around spewing shit while acting smart.
To be honest I had never seen MNC before and I didn't know that, I always assumed it was just a TF2 clone. Still, it's not a MOBA, it's a third person shooter that plays like Aeon of Strife. And most of the other games mentioned in do not have Aeon of Strife gameplay.

Just give up user, it's over.

Just give up Riot Games shill, it's over.

Aren't you the same faggot who got mad people use Crapcunts?

Pathetic

Arena Shooterfags problem is that they have trouble grasping that the reason their genre is half-dead isn't because it's too skillful or any bollocks like that. But that it's stagnant as fuck.

Every damn arena-shooter that games made now is a damn quake-clone. Or a tribes-clone if you're lucky. There's more innovation in assfaggots for crying out loud.

What we could do with is a class-based shooter with lots of gameplay variation between the classes that tries to shift the gameplay back to being fast-paced again.

Who are you quoting? It's fact that "MOBA" is a marketer term that only retards and shills use.

So you get butthurt when people say Moba but things like Crapcunts/assfaggots are bad? Ok then what should I call it? This is of course besides the fact that you lost the argument 15 posts ago.

Halo is a joke as a FPS as far as aiming is concerned auto-aim or no autoaim.
Honestly faggots defending FPS games designed FOR CONSOLES should just kill themselves.

And if you're really unlucky you're actually a UT fan.

All manufactured/forced meme terms are bad, "MOBA" and "CRAPCUNTS" especially bad because they don't describe anything specific and are either only used for marketing or shitposting.
A third person Aeon of Strife game, which is what it is.
Prove it

Yeah go call Unreal Tournament 2004 bad while defending modern FPS.

Is a game, not a genre retard. That would be like calling all platformers "marios".

Stop engaging him, he lost the argument and is now just going after petty bullshit.

You can't be this bad at reading comprehension.

Or a bunch of turn-based permadeath RPGs roguelikes.

This literally just looks like counter-strike when there's only 1 person on each team.

It is a game that literally invented the genre, you dumb fucking cunt.

Prove I lost any argument.

So? That doesn't make the game the genre.

kek. Forgot to turn on that VPN.

yes, and UT4 is barely alive while Tribes lost its speed years ago

games like UT, Quake, Xonotic, Warsow, and Tribes are all the same to the modern consumer much like how all hero shooters such as Lawbreakers, Overwatch, and Paladins look identical

Argument was lost but this is just funny now.

Yes, it does.
That guy isn't even samefagging, you dumb fucking cunt.

God damn you're retarded. Good thing we hit bump limit so the rest of the board doesn't have to see how retarded you are.

SAME FAG SAME FAG
I love seeing this shit.

Kek.

But I guess I am going to play the genre of Alone in the dark and Wolfenstien since you know we call a genre by the first game that was created in it for some retarded reason now.

Who are you quoting?
That's cute

might as well join in

Kek this thread is gold

So why is it called FPS? Why not call the genre Wolfienstiens since you are going to use that retarded logic?

Kek. Sure, it just so happens that the guy who got caught samefagging changed IP's and the (1) who replied picked up his argument.

Because it's first person and it's a shooter. The reason you don't call Aeon of Strife clones "MOBA"s is because any multiplayer online game that takes place in one map and involves battling could be described as a "MOBA". That's why it's a shit term, besides being a manufactured term that your third-world nigger mind can't seem to grasp is a dumb term.

Why don't these casuals spend half the time they use shitposting and hopping IPs to get good at a genre?

Now you are just denying the fuck up. See

No one is believing your bullshit.

Oh but Dota and LOL aren't Aeon of strife.
It's so pathetic this little tangent you tried steering this conversation too because you lost the one about Overwatch and modern FPS being shit part.

At least I don't get caught samefagging then try to save face

Also
But they are? I never claimed they weren't. God damn you're a retard.

Now you are just trying to deny the samefagging rather than actually arguing.

Shit reading comprehension fam. Dota and LOL aren't Aeon of strife, Aeon of strife is a game, not a genre.

This thread is proof Arena Shooters are just as autistic as Speed Runners, MobAs, RTS', Melee tournyfags, fighting games, and any other "MUH SKILL" autism. I'm just surprised it took so long for someone to unmask this shitheap for what it is.

It's nice knowing the retarded OW drone is always the same person. It let's me know that Holla Forums isn't filled with a ton of retards, just one very dedicated retard who is always browsing.

Why wouldn't I deny something that I didn't do? I'm not claiming you're samefagging, after all.

Except they play exactly like it, and are called Aeon of Strife clones by non-retards.
And what's stopping a genre from being called after a game that invents it? It happened with Rouge.

But it's the OW drone samefagging and making the most retarded arguments.

Prove I'm an OW drone and that I'm samefagging and that I make retarded arguments.

No more than Doom feels like Wolfenstien.
Even then you didn't say they were AOS clones but AOS itself is a genre.

You said you were in the screen cap of the drones defending OW.

But I wasn't defending OW in those screencaps.

But everyone in those screenshots not getting banned is.

Nope, since I didn't defend Overwatch in that thread. Nice try at lying, though.

Ok so in conclusion.

But you said you were in the screen cap.
If you were and everyone in the screen cap is defending it then you are therefore defending it.

Quake and UT share a lot of core fundamentals even within the FPS genre with differing execution, such as the basic core gameplay loop in terms of arena set-ups and weapon drops, while differing in terms of weapon arsenals and movement (Quake being more focused on maintaining speed whereas movement tricks in UT focus more on traversing the environment with greater efficiency)
Off-shoots like Warsow and Xonotic do not differ much as there's still your standard weapon archetypes, item control metagame, with only different execution in terms of movement and weapon arsenals

I've always considered UT to be the more team-based arena shooter out of all of them, probably because Quake maps tend to be much smaller and built around 1v1 dueling whereas UT maps are often symmetric and larger in nature

But really, outside of Tribes there hasn't been an original take on the arena shooter for some time. You'd think that by now someone would have made a spiritual successor to Descent focused on multiplayer and incorporate its full 3D structures for arena combat (which they are already doing with Descent: Underground), but most other games have shed the mold of arena shooter for the sake of innovation. You can see how Team Fortress changed over time from Quake mod with all of its quirks, to HL1 mod, to TF2.

You realize your "conclusion" doesn't mean shit if nobody will listen to you, right?

Yes
But I wasn't defending it

Lol this thread is gold

So many posts and still no way to defend modern FPS.

Okay?

I guess you forgot the entire point of the thread.

Okay?

I'll bite. No good quake player is all aim and no brain. Of course reaction and positioning are important, why shouldn't they be? Whoever spawns near a good weapon also has no armor. Hardly anyone plays CTF/doubles and CA is rarely if ever serious business because item control doesn't exist so it's mostly aiming and RJ practice.

Show me any COD match that can hold a candle to a QL duel for strategy, skill, and entertainment. Bethesda isn't done shitting on id's IP yet so you'll have them hammer the final nail into the arena shooter coffin later this year. Real shooter fans will be pushed further into obscurity once quake becomes a botched frankenstein's monster of cancerous console team hero meme game and its former glory so your shitty little TF2 clones will be all anyone plays.

b8 thread, here's more Rapha

Can't show you any of those, but I can show you hundreds of CSGO matches that are much more entertaining than watching this snoozefest.

shiga-dig

Nice bait.
I wonder if you are also the same samefag as the overwatch drone in this thread.

Isn't Tribes a class-based shooter though?

I think that may only apply to Ascend but regardless, there hasn't been a game that's quite done frictionless movement quite like Tribes.

Nay, starsiege tribes was also class-based, the only thing that changed with classes was armor rating and base speed, probably also mortar usage being limited to heavies but everyone just used spinfusors and laser rifles which were unrestricted. Not sure about tribes 2 since i never played it.

9 OVERTIMES

would /thread but

I have no idea what the fuck is going on in this thread, but everyone can use some good old fashioned arena shooter fun once in a while.

Like Unreal Tournament? How about Unreal Tournament 2004? Star Wars Jedi Academy? With the Jedi Outcast maps?

Come on in - vanilla servers with a bit of extra content. Over 1,200 members and going strong since 2010.

My User Name: InspecktahDeck - Steam Group Name: Speck's Unreal Holla Forumsidya. You don’t need the steam version to play, but having steam lets you receive announcements when we play. Discussion boards are now on the group page for users to discuss the games, servers, or suggest tweaks/changes, with some other fun stuff. If you have any problems joining, please post them in the thread, or steam group.

steamcommunity.com/groups/specksunreal

Doin God's work, Speck.

It's a good thing you saved that video as a webm, I actually deleted it from the channel.

God damn it