ITT: Times you found sneaky little shortcuts / exploits in games. (No cheats, just things the designers overlooked.)

ITT: Times you found sneaky little shortcuts / exploits in games. (No cheats, just things the designers overlooked.)

Human Fall Flat
Probably intentional though considering it's a physics puzzle game and half the achievements require you to do weird shit like that.

Is that it then?
I thought you autists would be all over things like this in games.

Yeah if the achievements require it, it's not something they overlooked.

In MMBN 1 you can break the game by spamming protoman and gutsman chips since there were no limits back then on the chips

There we go. That's what I'm talking about.

I also heard about some way in Morrowind to give yourself a crazy jump distance in which you take so much fall damage it actually inverts and heals you when you land. I was just told about this. Can anyone confirm?

Watch the speed run

Good suggestion. Speed run autists amaze me.
Not something I'd like to do though and from those videos it's sometimes hard to tell what kind of sneaky little trick they're using because they navigate the menus so fast.

Hyrule warriors. You have a certain type of item drop that powers up your subweapons, like bombs, arrows and boomerang. When powered up, the animation for bombs and arrows can be dash-canceled, and the dash canceled by activating the attack again. This give you a very high rate of use, and by far the best DPS the game has to offer.
Add to this the possibility to buy a permanent item buff state before a battle, and it's the best way to tell the damage spongy enemies to go fuck themselves.

Legend of Legaia. There is a boss you fight in a mountain that splits up your entire team. Each team member fights one on one with a part of the boss. You run into a classic problem where a team member that specializes in one thing is now caught off guard.

Two members that had no healing abilities drained all the healing items. Once that fight is over the parts of the boss start to reform as one big boss. The NPC with you tells you that if you do not defeat him now, he will self-destruct and blow up the mountain and the surrounding area. If you start the fight there is no way you can win.

Amazingly, you can leave and not come back until you want to. I restocked on items, levelled up, and even completed a sidequest. When I came back the boss was still surprisingly hard. I don't know how they expect you to win following the one-on-one fights. It would surprise me if they intentionally left it like that despite the urgency in the characters.

I remember in ff6 if you used gau to copy some cat enemy he went fucking apeshit and kicked everything's ass.

I don't know if this has been patched out since I played it but in Transistor there was an exploit with how modifiers were assigned to powers.
Basically whenever you leveled up you could choose to unlock another slot so you could give a power two modifiers. However, if you moved one with two to a slot that didn't have the second slot open, it would still keep both. I forget just how useful this was but it meant you could focus your upgrades on other stuff instead of opening those slots.

You can climb walls by swinging and grabbing when one hand is higher than the other. You can cheese your way through nearly everything by doing this though it's kind of iffy so a lot of the time it ends up being slower than doing it normally.

God damn that was fucking stupid, you could get the ability as soon as you get Gau and you're set for a good chunk of the game.

Game requires making your own strategy but i'll still contribute.
In Xenoblade X you can get a level 30 ether and gravity rod (low Doll Level opposed to level 60) as your melee weapons.
You get it as a random drop from beating a specific time attack mission.
They do a little poke and negligible damage.
They have the quickest cooldown from any melee weapon.
So made a strategy for each poke to heal my Doll and give me GP for overdrive.
Takes 3 seconds to get full health and enough GP for overdrive this way
Put it on the lowest fuel tank Doll since overdrive uses no fuel
This Doll has high evasion/accuracy
Can defeat everything with this Gravity build.

Also used it to take on Telethia, the Endbringer (level 99) with a level 30 Doll.

Yeah I've done a whole bunch of that to get around shit in some levels like the castle and the water world. I think it's also the only way to get the achievement for stacking all four boxes in the stacking level since I couldn't figure out how to get the boxes out of the first two rooms aside from grabbing them with one hand, swinging the other hand up around the edge of a wall and then swinging the box out around the edge of the level into the next room.

Did anyone come up with Danger Mario in Paper Mario on their own?

Skell?

yes, it was called doll in japan

It's meant to be called Doll.
8-4 changed it to "exoskeleton" or Skell

In VtMB in character creation if you spend all your skill points, then go back to clan selection, then go back to skill point spending you'll have extra skill points to spare

Best of all is that Jack comments on your skills if you've spent a shitload more than you were supposed to

"Doll" makes them feel a bit creepy somehow.
Well done on discovering that.
I feel like a dumb faggot with that game. I made it to about 3/4 of the way through the story but I just didn't have the patience for all that UI and stats and shit. I figured it would be the kind of thing Holla Forums would like though.

If you finish the story you'll understand why Doll suits well.
Keep at it, user. Perseverance makes a game more satisfying.

I never actually started with the extra points. Welp, maybe I should reinstall. What's a good class to start as a overpowered fuck?

Tremere all day erryday

Only exploit I managed to find on my own was during one of the ultimate post-game boss fights in Final Fantasy IV, where was you can cast a summoned spell to turn the boss into a frog, negating any and all difficulty of the fight.

I guess I'll put the most vanilla "exploit" out there.
Did they fix this in any Fallout?

In this really old flash game, I found an infinite combo you can do just by repeatedly jump-kicking over and over again.

In Opposing Force after the tunnel filled with giant murderous bugs you're supposed to fight through the network of shipping containers and military depots and it's filled with tons of aliens, snipers and trip-mines. Or immediately after the first block of enemies there's a bit of rubble you can jump over, which skips the entire map so you can head straight to the dam. It's such an easy jump I'd almost think it was intentional.

It's been a while since I played it so I'm not sure which level you're talking about. I do remember in the factory level trying to beat it by swinging on the underside of the level. I'm not sure if it ended up working but I think it did.

You think flash is really old? Here are some for the NES.

* Super Mario Bros level 8-1: At that really long gap with one block in the middle of it that is impossible to time a running jump onto, just walk up to the pit and jump at your normal walking speed. You will land right on the block.

* River City Ransom: Jump and kick when you hit the ground and you come out in midair and can kick again. You can get an endless string of jumpkicks.

* Tecmo Super Bowl: On defense, pick the nose tackle and go down a bit and straight forward. You will run right by the center and can sack the quarterback on most passing plays.

* Tecmo Super Bowl again: On offense, the 49ers have a passing play where the receivers go long and the tight end runs a diagonal. Add that to your playbook for whatever team you are using. You can throw to the tight end when the defense picks your play and most of the time he will catch it.

>style savvy series
>mgsv
>still doesn't save from a grind that is everything else outside of the main game
>nmrih
>WoTS1
>Serious sam series
>SH series
>Carmageddon series
>EDF2025
>EDF:IFPS and EDF2017
>GTA2
>cry of fear/nmrih
>BF:BC2
>insurgency before damage overhaul
>Max payne 3 online
>Payday 2
>mgso3
>DS3
>MHX
>TM4
>Tony hawk series
>Onimusha 4
>Dragon's dogma

Avernum 1-3/Nethergate, when you end combat the game engine tries to put your party back into its neat little 4-man conga line, but it was kinda buggy in regards to where it placed you.

If you positioned your party right or maybe just spammed it, you could pass by the triggers for events without activating them by doing this, skipping encounters or even entire sections of the game.

Jeff fixed this in Nethergate: Resurrection by adding little checks here and there, so if you try to see the chieftain at the beginning of the Celt storyline without getting the bronze token from the nearby goblin cave, you get booted out of his hut with (I think) some extra dialogue.

Avadon/new Avernum engine feels like shit. Geneforge engine was alright for Geneforge but made A4-6 feel like shit, bring back the Avernum/Nethergate engine.

I agree. Thing is, Vogel is remastering A3 to the Avadon engine and then starting work on a new one, which will probably be even worse.

Not actually a shortcut, ifanything the reverse.
In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Time, your allies can do damage to you if they fire ranged attacks with at least one space in between.
My fucking partner was Piplup and that cunt kept killing my ass with bubblebeam and hydro pump, it was fucking bullshit.

These games were only playable when they were called Exile. The Avernum remakes are dogshit, and I refuse to even fuck with Avadon.

I still remember finding Exile III on a shareware disk when I was little. Shit was magical.

What advantages does the knife have over the chiansaw?

I've only even played the new avernums. Probably the best RPGs I've ever played. Going to start geneforge series whenever I feel like being autistic.

The weapon is around level 38 however, it is nearly as strong as some level 50 weapons. It is nearly all I use playing wing diver.

It's better at everything except stunlocking, which is pretty much a worthless trait.

Tell me more about this

DA:O, there's a girl in Lothering who wants traps. The first time you click on her after turning the quest in, you get the generic "Thank you" without entering the dialog screen. Try in again and you go back into the dialog screen and can give her three traps again. You still get paid, you still get xp. And you can do it over and over and over and over again, as long as you can still go to Lothering. I found this out ca. or 3 years after the game was released. Afaik, it has never been patched.

Just got done playing Blood Omen Legacy of Kain for the Playstation. When you combine the Chaos Armor (which causes opponents damage on you to be inflicted back on them) and the Barrier spell (negates damage done to you) opponents just run up and murder themselves allowing you to feast on their blood unharmed. It's absurdly over powered.

This is why I haven't picked up the new one yet

Morrowind is literally exploits: the game. That's the point of Morrowind, you become a god. You can get like thousands of strength and damage absorb boost through alchemy.

Why Slaver Chiefs?

I had a very successful playthrough with a party composition that was 90% Slaver Chiefs. I'm surprised to not see them mentioned more in mountain blade threads. They're so much more versatile than Swadian Knights and Nord Huscarls.

>in the pyramid where Garr betrays you

That was the first exploit I ever found.

Too bad the road to slaver chief is fucking brutal, and you can't recruit manhunters from towns like you can most other troops.

Look on the bright side, user. Those enemies showed you the exact strategy you need to use against them.
Be careful if you're playing as Pikachu, though. You'll have fun cleaning house with Agility and Discharge at first, but sooner or later you'll run into something with Lightningrod.

Do game breaking weapons belong in this thread?

This strategy made me understand why SMT3's Press Turn didn't have a Pass command.

Oh and Ragnarok reduces defense on top of doing Heavy damage
So even if the boss tries to buff itself up to reduce damage, that shit is going down.

Make a teleporter trap by putting a teleporter over another while on a ramp. Now build a dispenser next to the teletrap and a sentry at the bottom of the ramp. Grab your Wrangler while you're at it. Now teletrap yourself and shoot yourself with the sentry, while healing from the dispenser. Keep doing this for a bit, then grab your teleporter and destroy the teleporter exit. You'll go flying up the ramp ridiculously fast, and can use this to get to places people won't expect an Engie nest. Place the dispenser, build a tele exit and you now have a really bullshit sniper nest for your teammates.

In Click Clock Wood, there's a beaver who can't get into his house in Spring. You're supposed to return in Summer to help him. You can break the boulder in front of his house by standing above and firing eggs down. If you do this then go in his house, everything is untextured and his house doesn't exist.

You can outspeed the camera in the first level. Just go fast and keep going fast, and you'll go so fast the camera can't keep up. You won't fall down any holes either, so it's a great way of getting the first zone out the way.

Secondary Accelerator + TP up stuff + Overdrive extension stuff
Get an Assault Rifle and any melee. Equip Assault Hammer, Last Stand and any moves that shoot multiple shots.
Activate overdrive, use your multishot stuff and use Last Stand when low on overdrive. Do this two or three times and you'll be able to sustain overdrive indefinately. The game now throws buffs at you while you're invincible, and can attack ridiculously fast. Try stunlocking enemies with Assault Hammer.
This is so powerful that you can beat the last story boss the Vita and skip his invincible phase entirely.

Fallout 1. Just get 10 luck, save, and walk around till you get alien blaster and 10 000 caps events.
Get the water chip to get rid of the timer, then go to the city and buy ammo for your blaster.
That's it. GG. Feel free to do whatever else, every single encounter now is fucking easy as shit.

Is this worth finishing?
I got up to the pig-tank and grew bored.

Then again, I played it like a collect-a-thon (get one of everything, keep levels even) rather than a party RPG (stick to faves, fuck anything else)

While not my own exploit, the Golem in Terraria becomes pathetically easy with the right weapons (rainbow gun and a real projectile or yoyo) and blocking off all but one square above you. It lets you farm it easily.

In Dungeons of Dredmore, if you find the wand/spell that lets you summon pillars, you can turn any Monster Zoo into a killing corridor- save for the few mooks who try to run off (or even teleport through doors).

The Crissaegrim form Symphony of the Night, granted to have to grind those stupid heads to get one but once you do it's stupidly broken and makes the entire game trivial.

yeah im not fond of that engine ether but im always excited to go back to adventure cave land.

Day o sex invisible war
you start with enough modules to max out arms
if you max arms you can literally oneshot every human enemy by walking up to them and baton smashing. its not much later that you pick up an anti-mech gun that fires through walls which goes great with the eye augment that sees through walls.

isnt there a gummy skill that prevents that?

there is, not only that you can disable which moves your teammates can use

:^)

Use battle before the enemies can initiate combat to pass through them skipping random encounters and some other events, like entering the Vault in Vault city on FO2.

don't worry i pirated it

Didn't MGS3 do this as well?

SH was built around being cautious with your firearms, through out the series it offers more melee weapons than ranged ones, thus the mechanics offer you enough room to git gud. Only thing that holds you from engaging monsters in cqc is a fear of unexpected, fear that things are dangerous at that range, which isn't true, unlike how it is in resident evil. Sure, you could go one on one with nemesis with only your knife equipped, but learning timeframes for activating the dodge mechanic for each move of every monster is harder than understanding the range of their attack. Plus, the knife is a fucking garbage and it's the only melee weapon you get.
As example, if I remember correctly, the only time when I used rifle in sh2 is at the final boss fight. And in SH1, for the same situation the handgun was sufficient enough.

Combat multiplier is a thing, but theres experience potions as well that give 300 xp each use.

Go to Lychfield Graveyard after completing the Bargate Prison quests and go along the path going to Bargate. Using maximum level "Enflame" you can one-shot undead there and they spawn infinitely.

Keep spamming that and you'll get potions, gold, and regular xp as well as magic as long as you keep spamming englame and chugging mana potions.

When you get your combat multiplier to whatever level you want, use one of the MIght, Will, and/or Skill potions and that gets multiplied as well.

I haven't seen any cheat/guide that had this exploit in it.

I used a similar trick right there because of some guide I read online back then.

I've found that using Bound Weapons in Morrowind is way superior to real weapons in the beginning because you get Daedric quality weapons which are weightless and give you +10 to whichever skill they're associated with. They do get much less useful when you're able to get good real weapons and when you can give them good enchantements, but bound weapons can still be a good backup.

The same happens in Vampire - The Masquerade: Redemption. If you get your Manipulation to 90 or more, you can sell for more than you buy.

No, in MGS you simply skip the reloading animation, you still use ammo.

I remember my brother managed to do a minor sequence break in Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts by simply platforming. I believe he had to use the car, but that was it.

Dunno if this was common knowledge, or common in other games, but I accidentally found in JK:JA that quick saving right when a cutscene started and then quick loading allowed you to move around and attack and shit during a cutscene. Wasn't all that useful, but fun to watch people slide around because their legs weren't in the frame and therefore not animated. (I think it also caused your equipped weapon to get all fucked when the cutscene finished.)