Why do people hate Mega Man games past 3 again...

Why do people hate Mega Man games past 3 again? All the criticism for these always seem to come from hipsters that love to obsess over retro games because its the hip thing to do or shitty game review sites like IGN. Mega Man 4 and 6 are easily the best in the classic series. People who think Mega Man 2-3 are the best are likely hipster nu-males who haven't played a Mega Man game past that.

Nobody really talks about megaman anymore except faggots like us

Tell that to faggots who regularly visit your local "nerd culture" store.

They came out after the SNES was out.

Good point. I mean, how many posers do you hear talking about Crisis Force, Gimmick! or Little Samson? You never see them on "top 10 best NES games ever" lists, you usually see Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros 3, The Legend of Zelda or something like that.

All Megaman games are crap. You can't even aim your gun, you can only shoot forward. Who wants to play that shit?

You answered your own question, the X games (up until 5) and the Zero series both shit on classic mega man, but the modern fan base mostly consist of nostalgiafags. This is why Mega man 9 and 10 pissed me the fuck off, Capcom catered to the nostalgiafags not only in the graphics and sound design (wish they used the 32-bit sprites from MM 8) but they also reverted the series to MM 2 game design removing both the charge shot and the ability to slide.

Maybe not Gimmick, but i've definitively seen Little Samson on plenty of top 10 lists. The games become a lot more well known in recent years due to it's price/rarity and because of retro gaming youtubers like pat the nes punk.

Mega Man 2 was, is, and will always be the best Mega Man.

I always thought 4 and 6 were better than 3, but 5 was trash garbage

They're too easy or something. Because fucking hipsters want bullshit like that boss in MM2 that requires exactly one full bar of crash bombs to kill.

I think part 4 is actually my favorite. It changed things up by having a new villain who had a cute daughter that revealed the big plot twist It was Wily all along.

Part 5 is really my least favorite because the music is just a little too relaxed. It had a lot of highlights and was a good game but, compared to the others, it was a honkshoe.

Part 6 is what I consider to be the last hurrah for the NES and the classic Mega Man series along with it. It had epic music, great stages, great bosses, and had a triumphant, happy ending theme to precede the coming of Mega Man X. Plus, Action Adventure World's cover album is the fucking shit.

I also can't but notice in embed related how great that foliage looks.

Google Megaman 3 Ultimate. It's a ROM hack that fixes a lot of shit, balances the difficulty and makes MM3 a more compete game. It even adds an actual intro cutscene, like the later ones.

I like Megaman 8

I always considered 6 one of the best ones, maybe on par with 2, I don't get why it's usually considered mediocre.
My only gripe is that it's really too fucking easy, probably the easiest of the six.
2's difficulty curve was alright except for a couple of bullshit moments.

you're not as big a fag as you fear
Have you tried rockman & forte/ megaman & bass? Magicmans stage reuses clownmans assets with a much better boss

Mega Man 8's soundtrack is pretty good.

DOCTOR WAWII

Mega Man & Bass has such shit stage design and balancing though it's the worst kind of "hard" game there is. It is gorgeous though and it's amazing they managed to reuse MM8 sprites and assets in a SNES title without comprising them.

It is a good game. Different, but good.

I think you are a raging homosexual for liking the black sheep of the series but I accept and respect you for it

People who played the games when they were coming out are the ones who prefer 2-3
Damn son. Marry your favorite games then. You obviously aren't getting laid anyway.

I used to be a huge fan of Megaman 2 until I decided to check the rest of the series on the NES. Now I'm no longer sure if I love the 5th or the 2nd better; even though it's hard to come back to the 2nd game after you discovered the mega blaster.

To answer the question, I think Megaman games tend to suffer from the comparison with the following installments in the series. When you compare the first game to the second, you can see how much the game improved (you get a neat password system, the level design is much better, there are more levels, no more bugs in the audio engine, better colors, no more pointless high score system)… but when you compare any following episode, you don't notice that many improvements: sometime they tweak the password system (usually making it worse), they add a new feature that is either useless (the buster introduced in 4 only becomes truly useful in 5) or buggy (the slide in 3), etc. I think anyone could start with any game and enjoy it, but the moment they go for the next episode, they might have a "is that all there is" moment.

I hate MMZ's designs. They look churned out, stale and bland and very uniform.
I guess the classical X (4-6) designs are bit of an overshoot too, but there has to be some kind of happy medium.

That's okay lad, 7 is my personal favorite of the classic series and nobody likes that game either.

It gets hate for not being as hardcore as the others but it's a good game
The music, graphics and variety in scenery are pretty great

I've seen a hell of a lot of "X-ized" designs for Mega Man Zero characters that I liked a lot, especially that Omega fan-design I posted. They look too divorced from the rest of the series, I think is the problem; X and Zero are still very clearly robots in their X series design, unable to get away from robotic elements like the huge feet and forehead gems, while the Zero series more or less ignores that in favor of making humans and reploids look identical and making everybody look like twinky androids.

This is the first time in my 24 years of life I've ever heard that assertion.

He's clearly talking about Dr. Wirey who is Dr. Wiley's evil twin brother in my own personal head canon that is

I never liked MM4 because all of the enemies are designed to take fully charged buster shots, meaning I spend most of the game waiting for charges or trying to slide past enemies.

Also 3 was the game that solidified the one-weapon-is-always-the-right-choice-for-a-boss. I liked that 2 had all sorts of choices, some good and some bad. Though I can't deny that the Metal Blade is probably the most overpowered weapon I've seen in any game, and you can get it right away.

Because you're not from the 80s and only knew Megaman from emulators. Anything past 3 came out when we were balls deep into Super Mario World and Zelda 3 already.

That's okay. I like Rockman and forte

Maybe for the standard reploid npcs which I personally like anyway , but the mavericks in Megaman zero have amazing designs. Phoenix Magnion, noble mandragora, hyleg ourobockle, and the mechaniloid designs as well. They all look awesome.

megaman legends was better.
megaman X was better

All successor Megaman series are arguably better than classic. Only one that's a little shaky is star force

I mean either he is or he isnt a fag.

And where did you get that from? At worst they're usually not considered as good as the earlier ones. That's different from hating on them.

Trying to determine which series is objectively the best is very silly. All Mega Man series have their own quirks and peculiarities. None of them are made obsolete by the others.

Like every other MM series. Most humanoid characters end up looking "samey" in those, too. I see that as having some consistency.

And if you ask me, the original series is the one with the blandest designs. Especially the first 6 games.

My thoughts on negativity towards 4-6 were that Capcom pretty much got the MM formula down for 4, and then continued it into 5 & 6, without too many gameplay changes. This is the same thing Nintendo found out they could do with New Super Mario Bros.

Couldn't agree more, when facing a Robot Master it's nice to have options, like;

One of the things that really pissed me off about later games and especially MM9 was this:
This load of shit is why I remember Magma Man being a pain in the ass for me. I would end up accidentally using Tornado Blow too much, wasting a few uses during his I-frames. TB does 6 damage to him. Everything else? 1, unless you're playing as Protoman and hit him with charge shots.

People hate them? I think what you were trying to say was autists, anyone who isn't some sperg is fine with those games. What a fucking shit thread, kill yourself.

Megaman 7 made bosses a complete joke when using their weakness but there were still some surprises, like using cloud man's weapon on spring man caused him to get more powerful for a while

4,5,6 has shittier soundtrack due to the fact that the charged shot took a fucking whole channel of sound

nice game

The Megaman games past 3 aren't bad, but they're definitely lacking compared to the first 3. Especially 4. 4's bosses have the worst type of difficulty, which is simple attack patterns with attack that give you heavy damage. Completely unlike the first 3 games which had bosses with more a challenging type of attack patterns that require the player to think of a strategy to beat them. 3's Hard Man made you think of where you are supposed to position yourself and measure the distance you're supposed to jump and slide to dodge the projectiles. But 4 and 5's bosses had attack patterns which are just trying to tag you or shoot you. Though to be fair, 5 at least made an effort to give better and unique attack patterns though not as thought out as 3's. Wily's bosses in 5 was more challenging, but then again 5 had Charge Man. However, I thought Megaman 5's stages were still pretty fun. Though they're not as complex Megaman 3, they're more interesting and can stand out just like 2. I've just started playing Megaman 6, and so far it's better than 5 which was better than 4. I'll have to play some more to tell if it's as good as 1-3.

Another problem was how a lot of the bosses and stage require you to charge up your weapons. Simple lemon shots aren't enough. Especially in 4. Though 5 was much better and allowed classic lemons, unlike 4 which kept stressing you to use the charge. This wouldn't be so bad, but unlike the X series, you take one hit and you lose your charge. You can argue whether or not it's because of skill that it's considered a flaw to lose your charge while not being skilled enough to dodge enough to give off a Charged Shot. But it ruins immersion and flow for me.

Who doesn't?

Honestly, aside from the insane lives drop rate in 5, the design of the Proto Man fortress, and the Rush adapters in 6, those two never really stood out to me. I didn't think they were bad, and Knight Man is an awesome robot master, but I have a hard time remembering much about them. Loved 4, though.

4 is my favorite entry on the series and i honestly believe that 2 is overrated.

I don't understand how 8 gets any hatred towards it, I'm guessing
Great levels, sprite art, music

I actually think 2 has issues due to nigh-undodgable attacks from Air Man, Quick Man, and Boo Beam Trap

MM8 is good but tge shitty english voices makes me want to commit sudoku
Hasn't anyone made an undub for the game?
Guess I'll hafta play the nip version

He looks like he's wearing a diaper

Threadly eminder that X2 has the best soundtrack in any megaman game ever made

But X1 has the best X soundtrack, and 3 has the best soundtrack of any Mega Man.

MM8 has great graphics but I don't think it actually looks more appealing than 7. I certainly prefer Mega Man's design from 7 over 8.

And X and Zero are just edgy Mega Man. They're still good, but the stories are retarded and, while the gameplay is largely the same but with extra collectables and shit, sometimes you just want the simplicity of the old games. I think you could argue that simplicity also resulted in better level design a lot of the time, and I'd say that's the real deciding factor here.

Also, practically all the original Mega Man games are the same shit with like one or two new features in each game. I don't see how someone could say one is good and another is bad. And with this in mind, 6 ends up being very impressive with all the little things they had added to the series over time by that point.

The fact that you cannot buy all the items in the shop, and the fact that I didn't know that until already buying a couple things, triggered my autism way too hard.

Otherwise it was very good.

Rockman & Forte: Challenger from the Future is also a great ending to the classic series, although it is incredibly short and easy.

I can't imagine the problem with 7 other than the final set of boss fights being way way too fucking hard.

The "2 is overrated" meme pops up quite a bit lately. I can't tell if it's because hipsters clung to 2 and everyone is trying to get away from it, or if hipsters started hating 2 and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

It's because it's Mega Man, and the games are so similar that all those people acting like 2 is somehow so much better than the rest of the series are obviously absurd. If it is better, it's very minimally, since the only real difference is level design, and it's not like the other games just have shit level design, they're still really good. Otherwise, the other games are better because of the (admittedly small) new features they added.

So does literally every other Mega Man character save for Proto Man

It's worse when it's white.

The levels are exactly the problem with 8. Most of them incorporate some kind of gimmick that is either frustrating a hell or dull as shit.

Astro Man has two of those shitty looping mazes;
Clown Man has those marked, trial and error boxes on the ground;
Tengu Man and Wily Stage 2 both have those shmup sections that get my Braindead Babby award for easiest shit ever;
Sword Man gets a double whammy with the button puzzles and annoying lava boat rides;
Wily Stage 1 has that ungodly frustrating snowboard section, along with the equally frustrating mega ball boss;

Grenade, Search and Aqua are mostly fine because their gimmicks manage to mix things up without breaking the pace or fucking up with the difficulty. Frost Man is also okay since the snowboard sections there aren't ridiculously sadistic like Wily 1's.

Anyone who thinks X2 surpasses the first one in any sense at all ought to get their head checked.

I know it's my opinion, but I'm right.

Nostalgiafags have deemed it some of the best shit ever created for a long time now. People predictably ended up reacting to that.

It definitely has what is arguably the most overrated piece of vidya music of all time. Congratulations, Internet, you managed to make me sick of that fucking track.

Good music and visuals, difficulty far too low. Particularly, the bosses in 6 were far too easy compared to every other game.

How many bosses pose and heal if you fuck up and hit them with the wrong weapon?

That is this guy's only pattern and you know it.

Best Ice RM is the only one that does that as far as I can remember.

Charge Shot is shit tbh

Slide was great because it raised the skill floor and ceiling. It makes Mega Man move faster, allows him to dodge more attacks, but also allows for the designers to make tougher bosses and stages with the move in mind.

Charge Shot is fucking shit because it's so good. I just lowers the skill ceiling.

I'm a huge Mega Man fag from back in the day.

Everything after 2 felt a little rushed in comparison and Capcom kept messing with the formula. The first game was a good proof of concept but it was buggy as hell and needed more polish, part 2 was pretty much the perfection of what they were trying to do with the first game. The story is decent and there wasn't many bullshit areas/bosses in the game. 3 introduced the slide which is something you either love or hate but the main issue with it was it required running through the stages first to know when it was a good idea to use it or not. It's highly useful for dodging or speed running but your first time through you aren't too sure what to do with it especially if you're playing the series in order. The charge shot is similar that respect in that you have to know what's coming to know if you should be charging up for the next room or not. When you shit out 6 games that quickly and keep trying new stuff you're going to have those problems. At least everyone can find one they like.

I really enjoyed 9 because it was a return to what made 2 great without screwing with the graphics. I disliked 7 and 8 because of the changes they made in the graphics. They look really pretty but it threw off the feel too much for old vets of the series. I also disliked 10 because of the ability to switch weapons on-screen, I know a lot of people like that feature but it just seemed foreign in the classic series. If the timer paused in time attack mode it wouldn't bother it me at all but it doesn't so it punishes people accustomed to playing that way.

For me the joy in Mega Man was the difficulty combined with the simplicity. Once you git good you never have to stop but getting to that point in a challenge.

I know I just shit out a hipster post but those faggots annoy me to no end. I have a really good local arcade but I have to deal with those people there constantly because they have a game shop in the front (that over charges for everything). I love seeing new players for any old series but I hate the pretending/persona those types have about them. At least they'll pay me a ridiculous amount of money for all my extra stuff. Any time I feel like selling off an extra item out of my collection I always take it there. Those kids will give you $20 for an NES controller, dumb fucks. You can tell they're spending their parents money. Glad I bought most everything I wanted before they came in and drove up the prices.

At least most them them go to the "Barcade" down the street and leave us a lone. They go stand in line to get in there, then pay for tokens, and stand up to play everything. Meanwhile I pay $25 a year to sit down on a Japanese style cabinet and play the best in the state. If we want to get drunk we bring in a flask, no one gives a fuck.

X6 has a top tier soundtrack.

No joke, I think if X6 had development time longer than a few months it would've kicked X4 and X5's asses no contest. As it is it has the best music of the PS1 series and the Nightmare mechanic is interesting, if horribly underutilized, and it had more interesting armors for X.

I also like how it trampled over X5's ending by bringing back Zero again, but that's primarily because a hell of a lot of stuff in X5 was just flat-out embarrassing. Super saiyan Zero, the "climactic" fight against Zero (slowed and dumbed down version of his X2 AI) or X (X4 weapons for some reason and similar stupidity problems), in general trying to force an ending to the series where there didn't necessarily need to be one. Hell, Mega Man Zero 3 has a lot of the same problems due to that one being an intended wrap-up of the Zero series too, though Zero 4 was the best of the series after it, did a better job wrapping things up than the previous game, and had enough development time to accomplish both those things.