Squeenix claims they have recouped FF15's development costs day one

nichegamer.com/2017/02/08/square-enix-final-fantasy-xv-development-costs-recouped-day-one/
While not an insider by any means, I find that a little dubious. Are they allowed to outright lie about such things ? Or was cup noodle's sponsor check really that juicy ?

Other urls found in this thread:

novacrystallis.com/2016/04/final-fantasy-xv-needs-to-sell-10-million-units-to-be-a-success/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wasn't a lot of older FFXV development salvaged and used in other games instead? With a little creative accounting, that would lower the "actual" cost of FFXV. Also Cup Noodle/American Express/everyone else who sponsored it.

Not sure about your country but it's outsold in ever store for a while and probably every household has the game.

I don't have the game, but I've been buying cup noodles buy the six pack all winter.

Good final fantasy XV was the best FF games sense FF6. Catering to the FF7 newfags was killing the series.

Ichiban are toptier.

6 sucked donkey dick if you ask me, didn't draw me in at all like 5 and 9 did. Also suffered even more grotesquely than 9 did from party member stories going nowhere.

I don't have any reason to believe that this is false. Typically if sales are poor a company just says nothing, or something incredibly vague like "our new title is performing well." If you want something a little more concrete, look at publications aimed at investors. Misleading investors is a huge no-no, so while there aren't always solid statements about sales of specific titles, the information there is absolutely accurate, and you can usually infer some information they don't explicitly state in public.

Well, I did see some copies in my local store, so I had no reason to suspect it was particularly phenomenal. I can believe it did well in the long term though, the part I find strange is this new "day one" claim, especially so long after the release.

Reminder that they needed to sell 10 million units to recoup the losses. Squeenix is here saying that they sold 10 million copies of FF15 on day one. If the sales don't add up they are lying.

Squeenix fanboy go and stay go

Japan's population is around 120,000,000 people. According to some dubious game journalist outlets, FFXV's development cost was likely around the 120 million range. If only 1% (1,200,000 people) of the Japanese population bought the game, they'd still make a solid 72,000,000 in revenue, which is about 60% of their overall budget, if that 120 million figure is accurate. If you believe NeoFAG, FFXV sold 860,127 units in Japan alone in the first four weeks, which is around 51 million in revenue. This is not accounting for worldwide sales, so that they made their money back is not really all that surprising.

He's right that lying to investors can get a company in deep trouble. But 5-6 million sales doesn't sound like enough to recoup costs. The site comments mention online sales being high but if Squeenix doesn't release the numbers it's all guesswork.

Development costs. In other words, let's ignore advertising costs which is the real moneysink.

Reminder that they said 10 million was a personal goal, not a matter of profit.

novacrystallis.com/2016/04/final-fantasy-xv-needs-to-sell-10-million-units-to-be-a-success/

Considering the amount of product tie ins the game had I wouldn't be surprised if it did make its money back eventually. That being said its weird that they never brought this up once unless they wanted to keep demand going like "Unless we break even we probably wont make more!". Also this is from SE, they consider the sales of almost every game "Disappointing".

I think thats what they said, they reused a lot of FFXV's assets.

Nah. Gamestop or whatever store sells it takes a cut. At least a quarter. Last I checked Steam takes 30%. Plus cost for creating the cd and art. Plus other costs. So they're probably getting 30-35 bucks for each $60 game they sell.

Fair point but we don't know what percentage of those sales were digital or physical. Even if we assume, however, that all of them were physical, then you simply cut that estimated 51 million in half, which is around 26 million, which isn't too bad when you consider that's only for the first four weeks, it doesn't account for worldwide sales and digital sales, and the game is still selling like hotcakes

You're joking, right? I've worked for a local game store like that, they get the games for $55 and sell them for $60. Steam and PSN can afford to take a greater share of that because the cost of printing the discs and cases is completely removed.

Let's see…obviously, discount the years where it was Versus XIII, subtract the cost of developing both the Ebony and Luminous engines, and don't take into account the MASSIVE marketing budget spent on the game…

Yeah, they can recoup the costs for a generic open-world RPG easy.

Those cup noodles shekels really helped I guess.
Reminder that Squareenix fans are the best goyim along with Scamco fags and DESERVE to be robbed of their money for being such anti-consumer cunts.

Don't really understand why Holla Forums doesn't like ffxv. I thought it was a rather enjoyable game, albeit a shallow story.

Still waiting on the sales numbers and forcing Eidos Montreal to do Marvel capeshit is not reassuring, also fuck you OP, now I'm having cravings for cup noodles.

The combat was shallow and casual as fuck.
If I wanted to play an ARPG, I'd play Bloodborne, because it's actually fun.
Whereas this game was mash a single button to do everything, with awful camera controls that half the time you can't see what you're hitting.

They have been shilling multitudes of things using it.
I wouldn't be surprised if its true.

On new releases gamestop makes like 3 bucks per unit, it's part of why they love forcing you to buy used so much since they make 100% of the profit on used ones
source: worked there

This is Final Fantasy we're talking about.
It should be the other way around.

no shit, the games ass but its a big enough name that it can't lose

Honestly, I prefer it this way. If it were another story like 7 or 10 or 13, I'd rather they scrap it and do something shallow. Final Fantasy's writing is downright painfully bad sometimes.

Shit, I meant 8. 8 or 10 or 13.

You know that's not true, right? Or did you 'play' it on easy mode?

Honestly I gave up on the plot and just focused on the graphics and music for the final fantasy series. There's no way they can write a story to save their lives and they know it by catering to the richest people in the country willing to spend on vidya: women.

Don't you think that kills an RPG game if you have to completely ignore the shallow and handicapped story and gameplay?

I think it kills the entire "game" point of it. At that point it's just a interactive fish tank that plays music.

It's just something really pretty as long as you ignore the plot and just play the game.

What I'm getting at is why bother buying this game if it doesn't even try bother being a game? Is this really the precedent we should set for the videogame industry? Is this really a standard you and other consumers should set?

Ichiban or pic related are pretty good if you have a craving for instant noodles.

Alright, you guys had your fun, but now playtime's over.

I'm not sure why you keep saying it's not a game when I mentioned there's no plot. As I said, I ignore the story and just play the game. Simple as that especially since final fantasy as a series has the worst storytelling ever to be written. Game =/= Story, so we can keep calling this crap a game whether you like it or not.

So they shouldn’t have any qualms about bringing it to PC so I can pirate it.

You missed part of that comment screen, he was saying if it's got both no story AND no gameplay, then it isn't a game.

I agree with him, but I also found FFXV's combat to be pretty fun, so I might be in the minority here. If I replay it I'll probably equip the no-magic-friendly-fire ring and Wait Mode and see how much I can turn it into a game of commanding my units and casting magic from the back line.

A shit. Why do gooks need to put kimchee in fucking everything.

Kotaku go home

I'm actually surprised at the number of moves you can do with each weapons and air dancing. Add the royal arms and things get sick all of a sudden. Wish the were a bit stronger though or at least remove the HP penalty. As for magic I find it boring since it's literally just magical grenades which can either be used as a crutch or to end a combo with style.

You shouldn't had summoned me. Now you already dead.

From what I hear they basically had the Royal Arms as significantly more powerful than normal weapons, making the HP drain make sense, but right before launch either nerfed the RAs or buffed normal weapons (I don't remember which) and made the RAs kind of pointless with how they damage you unless you stock a shitton of Potions like I did.

An easy fix would be to make them drain MP first instead of HP, so I have no clue why they haven't done that. Or an accessory that mitigates or removes the HP drain.

Also they had a ton of moves that you can do per weapon in general, and NOWHERE in the game do they explain that. You have to look up weapon guides on Youtube to find out how each one works because it actually takes input from the player beyond just the direction you're pressing. It's just that almost none of it matters because you can hold O to attack.

What am I looking at here?

cheap imported russian dog meat for the brazilians

Where's that chart of Japanese day-one sales for FFXV? I recall it being even lower than XIIIs.

Who?
Stop linking to that shithole, they'll just turn to whatever is covenient.

You can hold to attack but that can either take ages to kill a boss due to low damage combos or constantly dodging since the most you can do is dodge and attack wasting more time. You gain invulnerability frames for some directional attacks and depending on the timing of releasing then pressing O again will allow you to stagger bosses. Then you have the break mechanics and a what-the-fuck-are-they-thinking sniper rifle. Machine weapon is a cool concept but shit in practice due to no warp and vulnerability of the triangle attacks.

They made a full length CG movie Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV as well, that couldn't of been cheap.

Honestly I kind of like the "throw in a myriad of ideas" style of design for the combat. It allows unexpected combos like the Royal Arms bow + Ignis' Overwhelm so you can spam nonstop and take out enemies that are much stronger than you are.

those are good especially the seafood ones

pic related is good too, you can get them off ebay if your in the US

probabaly borscht

I think they are telling the truth. Of course by truth, that means strictly devlopment costs. If they only count developmental costs, they could easily forget that marketing is the bulk of their budget and that cup of noodles xv is losing a shitload of money for them.

I actually watched it despite never playing FF15.
It was okay for a video game movie. Kinda shit overall, though.

Is that beef stew, stroganoff, or borscht?

Looks interesting, but the cheese curry flavor worries me.

It says borscht right there user.

All shitskins need to go and stay go

Fuck off.

From the very beginning it was grafics all along.

Can't decipher ruski runes user.

looks archived to me?

For what this game was, and learning about it during development. I'm surprised how goo it is. Theres a lot of shit in it, but its surprisinly better then most games coming out, but fuck the ending, i wanted to explore the dark world more.

top gaijin

where is this from

Found the millenial

Chinese lesbians.

I got mine off of a, which i believe some guy redrawed, not sure tho

Found the millenial calling people millenials, unless you are that very small percentage of image board users who fall under Gen X.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Tamen De Gushi

Is that the same thing they said they needed to tell if Final Fantasy was back to the quality of the old games?

why the fuck is this popular with anyone?

Maybe it doesn't do that to everyone who eats it, you dumb nigger.

You either have shit tier bowels or your religiously fit. Tastes far better with a boiled egg.

get a job, millennial

Not here

Cup noodles aren't even that Japanese

You probably don't eat processed garbage all the time, so when you finally did your body had a tantrum.

>characters appearing in a single cutscene never to be seen again verstael
>extremely linear second half where you tote around the regalia but never actually use it until you crash it in chapter 13
>prompto's reveal in chapter 13 making absolutely no sense unless you know he was General Verstael's son

I played this game start to finish and it was just bad. I really don't see how people can defend what Square did. I can see some parts that could have been great but in the end the game is half baked garbage. Ten fucking years of development and what they served me was a plate full of shit sprinkled with chunks of undercooked steak.

I haven't been this fucking pissed off after playing a bad game in a long time.

Don't forget the car you don't even get to drive

How was summoning in XIV? XII was dog shit and I've never heard anything XIII but I now they look like shit.

I assume you mean XV, but you couldn't summon unless you met specific conditions in the battle and even then after you met those conditions it was a small chance to have the summon button pop up on the screen. There are also only 5 total. They looked neat but I often didn't get them to proc when it would have been actually useful.

Between this and DA: Cisquistion, which one is the better game?

No, I mean XIV since I'm trying to find out if they're useless in everything after X or not.

What if he actually wanted to know about summoning in XIV

I'd ask in the heavensward general then. I haven't played much of the FF mmos.

Okay, what are they supposed to have done?
If this is the irrelevant bullshit about the forums, you'll have to go back.

Gotta save up them duckets, eh user?

Did you add the finest ground meat?

I'm extremely suspicious.

I believe it, only because I can not think of any competing game of that scale or genre released anytime around it, in addition to being a FF title. With the number of PS4s sold and the small pace of decent games coming out, most average games will sell better than expected and those will some branding and advertising will be the one eyed king in blindtown.

Here I stand, King among noodle.

University?

I might have been less outraged by the product placement if the products were actually good. Nissin's cup noodle isn't even the best instant noodle. It's bowl noodle.

You ate expired shit or you have IBS.

Their Story. Pretty good… manga? comic? Not sure what to call it.

UNENLIGHTENED PEASANTS

Nissin a shit, they may be an old brand but their cup noodles are still old dishwasher-tier

good taste, but not top tier taste

tasted the spicy chicken curry one, it tasted like a bland cream soup, also it's not spicy at all
i can't even start to imagine what will cheese taste like in a curry, or the other way around

what kind of ching-chong chop sukey noodle is that?

Who else here drains the liquid before adding the flavor packet?

manhua

Smug we get it, you got banned for calling everyone niggers and faggots in the comments. Deal with it.

Choosing to be disgusting mudslime scum.

I feel the same. I'd go as far as saying that XIII was better. Not that XIII was good, just better. That's how fucking low XV set the bar and I can't fathom at all how people are eating that shit up.

Before the hive mind kicks in to defend XV compared to XIII:

Plot:

Gameplay:

Linearity

I could go on, but I'm starting to realize that this might actually make XIII look good. That's how fucking bad XV is. Fuck everyone that likes XV.

If they really recover all their investments in just one day i want a pucture of Sqeenix finance and marketing director to worship as my personal good fortune and wealth deities
Cus those fuckers just pulled out a miracle
No fucking way they recovered all the money they spent on htis franchize in just one day

What the fuck were you smoking while playing XIII user

they might have recouped the cost of XV, but did they recoup the cost of XIII Versus?

What do you think user?

Are you saying it's false?

Remember that my descriptions don't implicitly mean they're good. The plot was original and the characters do develop with the plot. That doesn't mean it's well done.

Also I forgot to mention that there's a fucking movie and anime for XV that are probably required viewing for having a slightly better understanding of the game's mediocre plot.

Bullshit. Holding dodge won't save you from everything especially enemy spells and unavoidable damage which requires you to warp out of the line of damage or quick stun with certain combos. Magic isn't spammable and if you really want to craft the best spells then get ready to eat shit and waste days farming for them (and weakness do matter if you really want to spend days fighting a boss). I know you haven't played the game and, like every game you've 'played', watched it from some cancer lets play but at least do some research and shit on things like royals arms doing shit damage etc.

Oh shit nigger you picked the wrong fight if your defense is "b-b-but I know you didn't play it!" I shouldn't even have to say that I have, but you're obviously in denial that someone else isn't as braindead as you are.

"Unavoidable damage" doesn't fucking matter if you can literally stop everything and heal everyone with absolutely no risk involved. Let's not forget that some attacks give you a bigass QTE prompt to block and parry. You probably forgot about that despite it happening every fight, yeah? Oh yeah, let's not forget that using those command attacks makes you fucking invincible while they're being used. Don't forget Ignis' regroup for maximum easy mode.

"Magic isn't spammable" nor is it barely ever necessary. Magic basically just shortens the tedium of battles. Why the fuck you're spending "days" farming for materials the game basically drops in your lap is beyond me and speaks tomes to your stupidity. Weaknesses don't fucking matter. I simply switched between daggers, broadswords and swords based purely on my mood and effortlessly slaughtered the game.

Royal arms are almost completely useless anyway but also clues you into the mindset of the people that designed the game. "Oh gee we might have made this game too easy. Oh I know, let's give the player weapons that will hurt them! That should balance the game!"

I don't think we played the same game if you had a hard time with FFXV. That, or you've never played a non-turn based game in your life.

Ah yes, how to forget the amazing development of Snow going from generic shonen protagonist to generic shonen protagonist

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and effort and just wrote "I have shit taste" instead, the point would have been the same.

Well obviously it sounds different since it sounds like your let's player is playing it on easy mode or fighting starting area mobs. If you want shitpost subtly try not to over-exaggerate things. Told you there are other issues and what you're mentioning is not one of them at all.

I wouldn't say they develop as much as they lose their gimmick. Lightning stops being a raging cunt to everyone Hope loses his murder boner, Snow's still an idiot, Sazh has a suicidal phase, Fang doesn't change at all, and Vanille tried to deceive everyone for reasons beyond me at the moment.

You're wrong, just stop trying. I don't think you even played it from your utter ignorance.

I'm saying XV is worse. That's all.

So not only you're a shit poster but also a nigger. I'm not the one trying so hard to fit in the bandwagon and just post drivels that's regurgitated before the release of the game. At least post your shitplayer so we'll know your age.

Jesus talk about reaching Final Fantasy XV just has bad boring poorlu thought out combat does that fact trigger you that much?

Did you loose a few screws while typing that? No need to panic after getting all of your points countered. And don't worry, I find the combat shit but not because of your parrot reasonings, sperglord. You can go back to twitch or whatever you use nowadays to screen and brofist at your screen.

Check the ids again there boyo

Look I can do that too, faglord.

So two people can't call the same guy a retard?

I drain out the liquid not long after adding the packet.