Williams done with scoring Star Wars after Episode IX

Williams done with scoring Star Wars after Episode IX

OH NO NO NO NO

OHHHH NO NO NO NO

He was an overrated shitter anyway, he ripped off Gustav holst Planets for his Star Wars themes, and brainlets out there think he's original.

Back to reddit

Did he even do anything original for the new movies? All I noticed were the original scores from Hope, Empire, and Jedi tbqh

U furst.

I don't think he's done any particularly memorable new tracks since Episode 1.

There was good stuff in 2 and 3, esp. Battle of the Heroes

when I saw 7 I honestly thought they replaced him until I looked it up later.

Notice how they're really pushing "Leia Organa" lately. Almost to drive home that she didn't take Han's name.

This tbh. The prequels had great soundtracks.
Padmé's Ruminations is one of my faves.

That's just a remote corner of the soundtrack. Don't forget the main theme, which too is a slightly edited version of Aida's triumphal march (starts at 1.58).

Just looked that up, pretty chilling. John did pretty good work on the prequels, but I still can't think of a single song from any of the new movies.

mfw

Why are you a cow?

Give him a break, he's like 90.

[spoiler]>look it up
Damn.[/spoiler]

Yes, I fucked up the spoiler tags. Sue me.

what a loss. i'm pretty sure 80% of John William's contribution to the nuStarWars soundtracks is lending his name to the credits for a bunch of derivative orchestrations and half-assed themes cooked by some bought-off Julliard grad.

It really says a lot that you can listen to every Star Wars trailer in a different tab and not even realize it's still the same series by the time Episode 7 rolls around. It just sounds like any old Hollywood schlock now.

ill just bully you instead
you have to go back

Considering his age, I was surprised he chose to do 789 at all. Maybe because the old cast were returning he felt it would be good to return but is done now.

he was probably made an offer he couldn't refuse. the old musical themes are at least 30 to 50% of the Star Wars magic, and one of the few elements that hasn't really aged since the original trilogy. almost a pavlovian trigger by now. Disney could not risk getting a Michael Giachino or whoever the fuck else to ruin the soundtrack while they were setting up their new trilogy.

The sound is by far the single most iconic thing in Star Wars by a massive margin. Just try to imagine kids pretend lightsaber dueling without doing the lightsaber sound with their mouths or someone not immediately recognizing the main theme or tie fighter noise.

Williams' work on TFA was the worst thing he's ever made. Rey's theme is too joyful and adventurous and it doesn't fit with the on-screen character. The March of the Resistance is a disgusting rehash of the Droid Invasion theme.

Michael Giacchino could take over, after all he's good at handling an orchestra and he knows how to emulate John Williams.
I just hope that they don't hire a Zimmer drone.

i hope they go full sjw and get kendrick lamar to take over for the soundtrack.

They won't get a white person to compose it, whoever it is.

pan pipes, bongo drums and that irritating jewish snake charmer's flute!

The last time John Williams did good music was in 2001, when he did A.I. and Harry Potter.

I do lime the music for episodes 2 & 3, it's just that they are not memorable enough or are rehashes of previous movies.

I do like Grievous theme, those action scene pieces or ep3 intro, but you can't compare those to Duel of the Fates, The Tide Turns or Qui-Gon's Funeral.

Also, it's kinda tricky to compare stuff like ESB with RotJ. Empire has better leit motifs, but Jedi has better overall quality and a more unified soundtrack in the classical sense.

Look what they're doing to this poor man.

He did Harry Potter music in 2002 and 2004 though which was very good.

There are some very good tracks in Episode II like Across the Stars. And the final theme when Obi Wan and Anakin are battling is pretty good too.