What's your all time favorite handheld console and why?

What's your all time favorite handheld console and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

sonyenergy-devices.co.jp/en/keyword/
youtube.com/endscreen?v=EnjwRA2kAZk
code.google.com/archive/p/procfw/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

PSP
Largest library

Penis.

Gameboy, it did so much right everyone has based everything since on it.

Sage for very boring OP and low effort thread.

PSP tbh
Probably the best time I had with it was a large period from about 2007 summer to 2008 spring where my brother took some of our shit and ran away. The only thing he didnt get because it was in my pocket during he and his friend's theft was my PSP, so I learned how to do the bullshit of homebrew and got a really expansive list of games to play. If you're wondering what happened, we found my brother in New Mexico (we live in Cali) all fucked up

Ok then, it seems you actually want to have an intelligent discussion about this despite not giving an opinion or any supporting arguments in the OP.

AA batteries were the cheapest mass produced batteries by amp / hour at the time of release and the very first commercial Litium-ion battery was released 2 years after the GB in 1991. sonyenergy-devices.co.jp/en/keyword/

The lack of a backlight was to save energy and extend the life of batteries of the time.

Please put some effort into any threads you make in future as it makes for better discussion and in the long term a more informed community.

If you prefer being a dumb shit may I suggest >>>Holla Forums

All fucked up how, user?

He was living in some shack with his heist buddies in the outskirts of Santa Fe.

Drug related? Did he steal anything really valuable from you? Anything else vidya related?

I dont know which one of you is more retarded

Long story short, crime ring and cartel shit. He stole dad's care, some other electornics, all my consoles, also pettily enough, all the vases in the house. We found him because Santa Fe police were kinda suspicious about all this shit, they found identifiers like a CA drivers lisecne, contacted various PDs in California, things started lining up with the report my mom made with the police.

SP for making gaming in the dark possible without external objects, size, and elimination of the necessity for AA batteries. Though like Mass Effect 2 and on, I wish they used a hybrid system for the times you don't have immediate access to outlets, but oh well.

Gameboy Advanced SP
All in all the entirety of the Gameboy line of hadnhelds sold 200.2 million units. That makes them all the second best selling console platform in history behind only the Nintendo DS line, which sold 212.87 million when including the Nintendo 3DS

The original Gameboy line had no gimmicks, it destroyed all competition and set the standard for what makes a handheld game system. In a way the Gameboy line is the ultimate handheld line

GBA SP. awesome library, backlit, good colours, rechargeable batteries. i lost mine when i moved like twelve years ago and honestly still miss it

The N-Gauge

:^)

You were so close to
Here, have a (you) as a consolation prize

user, the game gear was literally a game boy with colors and infinitely worse battery life

DS/3DS, library.
My first gen psp's build is shoddy, I should get it fixed. Never finished VC3

Neo Geo Pocket Color

* 40 Hour Battery life on 2 AA batteries
* Built in Horoscope, alerm, & wolrd time function
* Lets you switch between english & Japanese, which lets you import since most Japanese & PAL carts have both languages on one game
* Dirt Cheap Games
* Best Thumb stick of all time
* Good to Bad game ratio is insanely high
* Many Colors to choose from
- No Backlight

How can the gameboy color even compete.

The overall number of games, however, is not

It's like I'm actually 10 again.

PSP
It had a great library and some great media functionality, though it was sad to see how bad video playback worked, and remote play was a fucking joke compared to how well it works on the Vita and PS4. The DS had some nice games, too, but nothing that came close to games like Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity. The ability to switch from the handheld's screen to outputting to a TV and back with the press of a button was fucking orgasmic. I can't count how many times I took a game into the bathroom instead of pausing it.

On one hand, it's nice to know I'm not the only person who had a brother like that, and on the other, I wouldn't wish a brother like mine on anyone else. At least in my case, he only took my entire N64 library and any cash that had been in my room at the time. Extra rage points in my case because I had locked my room, but my mother gave him a spare key to it despite knowing he was a piece of shit that had stolen from her before.

It has sonic, Mega Man, Cotton, TWO metal slug games, & the best version of SNK Vs. Capcom. Had they not gone bankrupt there would have been like 20 more games. Video related. The Magician Lord Sequel we never got. The Neo Geo Pocket Color was too good for this world.

With Pokemon

The PSP is the most /cyber/ handheld ever created, and can emulate almost everything in this thread along with many home console games
It's only real downside as a gaming device is the inevitable forward march of time giving newer consoles better hardware and more games

Hacked New3DS or Hacked PSPGo
New3DS has the advantage of accurate SNES emulation and being newer than PSP.
PSP has advantage of massive library and PSX compatibility.
I also keep my Micro with flashcart on me.

Neo Geo Pocket Color. The thing you've got two of in that picture.

This shit right here

my dick
for obvious reasons

PSP.

I really like the GBC aestetics, but as a game console, the PSP is unbeaten

PSP because CFW is very easy to setup on it and I can emulate Gameboy Color and Gameboy advanced along with other older consoles and DOS games. I also want to get a 3DS now because of CFW.

Fair warnings:
- 11.3 came out and it isn't hackable. Buy any 3DS that's new and you're safe for now, but do not update.
- 3DS is really underpowered you will want the N3DS or N3DS XL. Even then, you will be mostly using it for DS (on flash card, hopefully soon without one), GBA injects to the official emulator, SNES games in SNES9x, and maybe the odd homebrew port. Playstation and DOSBox are unacceptably slow.

On that subject, why is DOSBox so slow on Vita? What kind of games were you playing on it on PSP?

thank you for telling me I wasn't informed that the new 3DS had gotten an update as for DOS Ive only played Doom so far so I can't really answer that question with out trying more games also if I were to choose between a vita and the N3DS XL which should I choose?

Why are you playing Doom of all things in DOSBox? Doesn't a source port exist?

Also I haven't had that much time to play with my Vita yet. Hack-wise it's limited compared to 3DS. It needs to stay on 3.60 to be hackable. Any games requiring updates are off-limits (avoid ones released after 3.61 came out). PSN is also off-limits, and by extension setting up PSP stuff (probably not for long though someone's working on this). But it is more powerful. VBA-Next, PCSX-Rearmed and SNES9x 2005 work fine in RetroArch from what I've tested, except some slowdown in Future Cop LAPD. There's some problems with DOSBox though, I just got DN1 to run kinda. DN2 is awful.

Check the library too. 3DS obviously has Nintendo stuff. Vita has some quality stuff too (vanillaware!) but it's kinda one-note, especially with newer games.

For more info, we have a 3DS CFW and a Vita thread right now. Vita is less hack-focused.

Can Vita not do emulation better or is emulation trickier on it?

Fucking kids. You had like a bunch of variations on snake, duck hunter, pong, block stacker or tanks in addition to all kinds of strange and unexpected shit like a ninja platformer, formula racing, WW1 planes, a molecule/chemistry game and more.

So like 9-ish games plus different settings.
What a massive library.

N3DSXL. The 3DS series started off slow but really took off, and it has a lot worth playing now. Add hacks to the mix and you get the one thing more convenient than a PSP. I still love my PSP Go though, because that thing is so tiny I can take it anywhere.
Second place would be the Vita. Sony kept fucking it over with horrible design choices and support, but it's still alive. I'm looking into HENkaku, and it seems like hacking is starting to get interesting. I'd pirate stuff on it but fuck my 16GB memory card, and fuck the Vita's memory card in general.

I've always loved handhelds. They get all the creative games, because devs have to work in their limitations. You can play them when you can't play normal consoles. While the rest of the console industry has been going to shit, handhelds are still going strong. I hope the Switch is good

N3ds/XL (counting the DS library as well since it's fully backwards compatible)
Just an absolutely massive library before even taking CFW/homebrew into account.

Actually, the SP was frontlit, but otherwise I agree with you.
GBA SP a best.

Closer to a few hundred actually. You'd be surprised considering we're talking 80s tech and a price tag of around 5-10 bucks but it had a bunch of card games, chess, mills, minesweeper. Pretty decent AI, too.

There was a backlit model produced at the end of its lifetime (in some really shitty metallic colors, though.) It's even brighter than the normal GBA SP and is quite beautiful.
One of my prized video game items is an NES style SP with the screen swapped for a backlit one. It's a miracle of the universe, but it's still not without flaw. The only two problems with the GBA SP are the proprietary battery and lack of a headphone port.

Wonderswan because arcadey shmups and pocket fighter.

Try again.

PSP. Largest library, easiest to hack and decent emulation machine, breddy good battery life. If the NGPC had more games, it'd be a strong contender. 30 hours of battery life is pretty stronk.

Has been completely replaced by the Vita, which can do everything with a better screen and MUCH better controls.

The battery for the original DS is compatible with the GBA SP, and you can still buy those from China, last I checked, but I doubt they're of new manufacture. My DS battery from 2007 almost popped, and I replaced it a couple years ago.

There's also a somewhat painful accessory that goes in the power port that gives you headphone support.

My fucking nigger. Jesus Christ, i think i have one of those lying around in my house.

GBA SP

Loved how portable it was. The battery also seemed really kick ass.

Second on my list would be GB Color simply for game selection.

Third on my list would be New 3DS simply for game selection.

PSP still has a niche. It's cheap to get, easy to hack and you don't have to deal with the Vita's shitty memory cards. Pre-Go PSPs can take dual MicroSD cards for a fuckton of storage, and the Go is so small you can carry it with you no matter how limited your storage is.
The Vita is the superior console but it can't replace the PSP, at least not yet. It getting a MicroSD adapter and a more developed hacking scene would be a start.

GBA:SP, just due to all the great memories I have dragging that thing across the Pacific and back. Oh, and allowing me to play Japanese titles I picked up while in Japan, that was neat.

Plus backwards compatibility and built in back light. Fuck yeah.

I love the hardware - dat microswitched thumbstick arouses me in ways only your mon could, but the library is tiny.
Probably the best all round handheld due to its flexibility. The main problem is that the battery packs are all dying off and Sony don't make new ones. I'm surprised a third party hasn't come in and made a decent clone. All you can get are shitty no-name ones from eBay that don't last.
The true patrician's choice. Linux based, accepted standard SD cards and designed for homebrew from the ground up, it had better quality emulators than the PSP does even today, despite being less powerful. Downsides were the comedic battery life (2 hours on AAs, lol), slightly shit build quality, digital 8-way thumbstick (the fuck?), and the average screen.

I won't deny the better controls or bigger library, but the battery life is shit by comparison. I swear I got like 7 hours or more of playing P3P and Gods Eater Burst on my PSP. Buddy of mine gets like 4-5 hours out of his Vita playing Freedom Wars and the like.

Oh shit, I missed this post. The GP2X was okay for it's time, GPH is literally the Jew of the East. They didn't obey GPL for a long time and kept charging pretty high for an arm9 Pollux based chip for the Wiz and Caanoo when Arm11 and Cortex-A8 chips were hitting the market. That doesn't stop me from wanting a Caanoo since the Wiz is so fucking tiny.

PSP. The CFW mods was like an instant upgrade. The UMD was a piece of shit.

except its up to luck if you got the version with the decent library (plus new tetris pieces and iirc a bossfight in the breakout game) or the barebones version with only tetris, snake and breakout

Battery life is comparable in PSP modes and ridiculously long in standby.
Fuck the Vita library, it's a better PSP than the PSP.

Oh nice, wasn't aware of that. The Vita has some okay games. Original Gravity Rush is pretty fun. That's literally the only okay game I can think of for it, everything else is JRPGs which is self-selective on if you enjoy them. I've yet to see a JRPG that makes non-JRPG players entertained.

There's a few more than that. TxK and Lumines: Electronic Symphony are good timekillers. Wipeout 2048 is decent, and Freedom Wars is good for the story. Superbeat Xonic is pretty neat too, and Toukiden: Kiwami is worth pirating just for the rifle weapon. Tearaway looks nice but it's a kid's game.
Aside from that though most of the Vita's library is weebshit.

Oh fuck, I wish I still had mine.

Wow. I had one but I guess I was too young to appreciate it. That or I had a knock off of a knock off which was total shit. And besides I wanted nothing but a Gameboy at the time.

Literally GOTY 2014, and it was a Vita game. It doesn't get any fucking respect.

Hey user, you might not believe this but I remember your story from a while back. I think you may have posted it on 4chan if I recall correctly back in the day, or maybe just early 8ch.
Something about you blocking the door to your room with your bed right?
Or maybe that's from a different one, if it is, even then I do recall reading about yours.

I think he's reposted the story before, I remember reading it here. All the little details sound familiar.

The Nintendo Switch

GB Advance.

No wait I think I mean gameboy color. What gameboy first gen pokemon was on.

NGPC
Perfectly stylized tiny sprite games.
Catchy music.
Great battery life.
Fun system menu when you don't have a game in.
Best clicky stick, ever.

Micro

Game Gear > Gheyboy

Widescreen, color, backlit, rad games. It had features Nintendo took years to implement. Sega does what Nintendon't

Nigger please. Ghey Gear had MORE AA batteries to put in, also it had poor battery life.

Fuck, you made me remember it.

PSP (with CFW + memory duo adapters) without doubt
DS Lite (with R4) is my second favorite

I also love the Vita but I wont deny the library is really lacking in terms of variety compared to the PSP (not to mention a bunch of promising home console ports were badly done), and Sony really fucked it up with the overexpensive cards and security-prison. They still havent bothered to fix some system bugs (wifi that would no longer be activated, until reboot, if it was deactivated before playing a game that auto-disable it; vita beginning to act weird if you have more than 100 bubble icons, etc.) that has been going since I have one.

Learning japanese is highly recommended when it comes to handheld games

I'm heartbroken I can't find mine anymore. looked just like that pic

GAME BOY!

youtube.com/endscreen?v=EnjwRA2kAZk

Yeah, it definitely ate the shit out of batteries. I mainly just played it with it plugged in at home or with the car adapter. The magnifier was pretty good too since it blocked some light. I can't quite remember if I ever sold it or it's in a box somewhere.

DS Lite.
Best system of all time, handheld or not, and includes EVERYTHING you can think of.

It has platformers, it has 'retro' and arade-style games. It has VNs, text-heavy games, and RPGs (hell, I'd probably say it's thanks to DS VNs became somewhat popular in the western market). It has puzzle games, it has shooters. It has reimaginings of old franchises.
It has good sequels to old series, it has many completely new fresh IPs. It has many 2D and many 3D games. It has convential stuff, as well as highly experimental games. It has games for everyone, it has games for kids, it has games for a very niche audience. It has many games with conventional controls as well as the gimmicky stuff, which too can be quite fun sometimes on this system.

It has pretty good ergonomics and a good screen (it's better than the 3DS, at least). It's also indestructible. Oh, and it's compatible with the GBA. It's also easily hackable.

It's the best system ever. Hands down. It satisfies almost everything you can have think of in terms of video games.

An android device, because it can emulate pretty much anything.

pro:
con:

I cannot stress how much not having to buy batteries meant for a kid on a small allowance. I could leave the house in the morning, wear any pants I want, and this thing would still fit in my pocket with ease. Which means I brought it anywhere I went, and with the folding screen design, it was able to take a lot of abuse with only the outer shell taking any damage - my screen was near-flawless.

The only thing that sucked was if I didn't charge it, the battery could die with no place to plug-in, but these cases were extremely rare and the benefit of an rechargeable batter far outweighed these cases. Playing old GB games would leave the cartridge sticking half out of the device felt kinda retarded, but the design of the SP left it feeling more natural in my pocket than the GBA. Also the lack of a 3.5mm jack was retarded, but that's a minor complaint.

I still kick myself for trading this thing in to EB Games.

It does have an expansive library, but the cheap low-poly 3D aesthetic a lot of them have hasn't aged well, and most of the games are shovelware. Not to mention the touchscreen gimmick greater power meant that developers started forcing features in games that weren't needed.

I honestly think the GBA was better. It was the last generation to have god tier pixel art, and that stuff is timeless. Games had a purer, simpler design. The hardware is sexier and more compact.

The GBA was the last true great portable.

I have more games for the DS than any other handheld. So, that.

This. Not only can you play PSP games but also GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES (albeit only some games run well), Genesis, Sega CD, Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket, Turbografx-16, Neo Geo, MAME, and old computer games on it.

Bonus points if you have a PSP Go with the cool form factor and extra storage capacity (you can use a 16GB micro Memory Stick on top of the 16GB of onboard memory).

/thread

That choice is only valid if you have physical buttons or a bluetooth controller for it, otherwise it's only barely-acceptable for slow-paced RPG's, strategy, and VN's.

kys, you trip stealing fuck.

Oh my kek. I had this exact model.

I've got a hacked O3DS but people ITT are saying that the N3DS is far better. Should I trade mine in? I mostly play emulators and the only playable O3DS emulator is BlargSNES, which kind of sucks.

I'm not an RPG guy but I love the Mario RPGs.

You might be meme-ing now but it could turn out to be the best handheld of all times when pirates unlock its full potential.

The latest 3DS firmware 11.3 fixes a Homebrew entry point so I'd maybe hold out unless you can for sure get a 3DS on 11.2 and under

Fuck, before I read this post I saw the pic and thought there was a handheld with some fat ass CRT TV built in. Muh dick.

GBA, because it was my first handheld.

Can you still easily hack a PSP Go on any firmware? I wanna get one for emulators.

I had a lot of gripes with it. All the 3D games look like ass. Very few games outside of first party were good. Touch screen was okay but there were many times where an analogue stick of some sort would have greatly improved some games.
I take it back. Best console.

DS could play GBA cartridges. Does that not count for some reason?

Also I'm curious why Holla Forums loves PSP so much but not Vita.
Can Vita not be hacked to play everything just like PSP?

No you always had to be at certain firmwares to get the homebrew firmware. It's not like it's hard to rollback though

The vita is still not as hacked as the PSP and there's the fact the memory card prices are outrageous so storage is expensive.

You are retarded for threading your own post.
But you are right about the rest
/thread

It fixes pretty much everything you need to mod it, but 11.3 won't show up on new systems for a while, and you're unlikely to come across it except for some refurb places. N3DS isn't a huge upgrade over the O3DS either, it lets you play SNES games, and a few other games perform better, but that's about it.

As a phone it was good. But if you went in for only games, well, you know the story. Just wish I had it back, as token of what it was.

There is pic 1 related for that but it is old as heck. I really wish they'd make a Xperia PLAY with modern hardware. I still use it as an emulation bitch but it is stuck with Android 2.3 and can barely do anything because it has a single core and like 512MB of RAM. And I got the AT&T version which cannot unlock the bootloader so I don't think I can install a custom ROM

On a distantly related note the Pyra is pretty damn interesting but it is expensive as hell.

PRO CFW will work any any firmware, although it isn't permanent - it has to be reactivated with every hard reboot. It's incredibly easy to install, it's literally just run an app and it's done.
code.google.com/archive/p/procfw/
There's also another alternative called Infinity, but I know nothing about it. I just installed Pro and got on with my life, as it hasn't caused any trouble at all.

One great feature of the go is that you can connect a DualShock 3 to it (but you have to use a PS3 to pair them, which is fucking retarded). Combine that with the video out dock and you have a very comfy portable that can be converted into a TV console.

That's right, niggers, Sony invented the Nintendo Switch concept first in 2009, and they fumbled it, like they always do.

Tie between 3DS and PSP for me. PSP for emulation and a few exclusives. 3DS for exclusives and shitposting on miiverse. Also both are really easy to softmod and get CFW.

AA batteries are awesome

ENELOOP MASTER RACE

They weren't awesome back in the 90s.

Disposables were expensive as fuck and they had around half the capacity as modern ones today.

Rechargeables were even more expensive as fuck, had even less capacity and they would lose all their charge over a few days even if you didn't use them. On top of that, they could only be reused a hundred times or so before they were useless.

Sometimes I wonder how much money my parents spent on AA batteries. I lived in a pretty empty area so it took a long time to find A/C cables for my gameboys.

keychain simon

no seriously, I swear it's saved my life when I was waiting at the dmv for hours on end

I remember them leaking a lot. flashlights sucked ass too unless you went with some monster D-cell Maglite.

we're living in a golden age of battery and LED tech.

back on topic

GBA is my favorite

pleb tier
pic related, patricians choice
it's the most efficient AA light but you need a goddamn degree to program and use the fucking thing