ITT: Your favourite setting thats not exclusive to one series or ip

ITT: Your favourite setting thats not exclusive to one series or ip

I fucking love post apocalyptic japan. Mostly because its not "brown dirt sandbox" and full of rusted out malls, tightly packed neighbourhoods and theres always been some kind of "ruinous beauty" about post apocalyptic done right and japan always pulls it off better than the "radpunk" style the west relies on so much.
Some good examples are Tokyo Jungle, Fragile: farewell ruins of the moon and God Eater.

Whats your favourite setting? Horror games set in space? a rainy german town setting? spooky mansions in the american wilderness?

What gets the boner in your heart excited like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

igg-games.com/the-flame-in-the-flood-free-download.html
google.com/maps/@32.6267002,129.738814,3a,75y,10.09h,76.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgJEh0cSd2yqjUAoC9Thnjw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any clearly supernatural and surreal setting. I play horror games chiefly for those, rather than scares.

Sky Atlantis.

I like flying cities and settlements but they seem to be constrained to shit games like Skyward Sword and Bioshock: Infinite, or at least they're the first ones that jump to mind.

It's also that a lot of "post-apoc" western games aren't set in major cities either, or the cities are deliberately closed off a la fallout 3

I like vacant expanses with mysterious ancient architecture. SotC did this the best.

Fuck, this shit brings memories. Reminds me of times when i had friends, when i played it. OST alone makes me want to kill myself.

ancient greece

Abandoned, empty cities do it for me. Not much destruction, just the haunting echoes of civilisation once there now gone. My favourite parts of S.T.A.L.K.E.R was exploring the empty areas like the Jupiter plant that really nailed the atmosphere for me.

I do love a refreshing interpretation of the post apocalypse. I think Panzer Dragoon is the best example of this.

There are way too few post-apocalyptic settings that aren't to do with either nuclear weapons, disease, ayylien invasion or shit like running out of resources

I love the Japanese vision of small American rural/mountain town. Deadly Premonition was the top setting for me, and believe it or not SH1 was somewhat comfy outside during day+fog mode.

Is Deadly Premonition worth getting? I've seen it going for about 7 bongbucks

Install Civ 4 BtS and then install the Fall from Heaven mod. You can start the apocalypse and fuck up the world so much that the gods will have a collective Fuck This and try to kill every living thing on the planet so that they can start over.
Alternatively you can play Illians and start a second Ice Age while also ascending to God of Winter.

(checked)
You can catch it for as low as $2 when it's on a proper discount. I got it from humble bundle for $1.

Whether it's worth getting depends solely on your luck tbh. It's a great game and by it's content is worth more than it's full price but it's a roulette for your pc. I had no troubles with it but every second person complains about crashes etc.

Isn't the PC version a bit fucked? I was talking about the 360 version

Oh shit, just read the last line

Ah yes, I was talking about PC version. I think the 360 should work good.

(also checked)
Well I know what I'm playing this week

Prepare for maximum comf.

birds for scale.wav

I have been surprised how much i'm enjoying this little indie survival game on PS4 thats basically "society collapsed and the world is mostly flooded but inland islets of former civilisation survive like huts on a bayou" and its strangely comfy.

and no fucking zombies.

Personally I like wasteland plains/marshes the best, they're easy to make and nothing gives you a depressing field as flat wastland expanses.
Fuck cities

Was Fragile dreams good? I remember seeing it ages ago in Nintendo Power when it was released but never saw it on store shelves. Always felt like I missed something.

yi

Hey, that sounds like a neat premise.

Transhuman post-apocalypse.

Basically what Eclipse Phase has got going, but only if I get to play as the Jovian Junta and purging the solar system of degenerates.

Its fun, mostly because its random like a roguelike each time and being on the move and stopping to scavenge means you explore the world instead of camp near resources and never explore a world you never need to see. Its been described as a 'bleak southern gothic style' and i think that fits in the spotify version of the term.

God I would play the shit out of this, probably too soon for any dev to consider yet given how many people died in the tsunami. When was the first Chernobyl videogame?

360 version isn't bad, has some framedrops here and there and the combat is really tedious in places but is overall not bad.

There was a manga at the time called Coppellion about a northern japan gone full stalker and 3 girls genetically engineering to be unharmed by gamma radiation sent on rescue missions in the zone.
They announced an anime just before the accident, then as you can imagine it went on a looong hiatus and came back with a very different tone.

Amazing first half, then kind of a shit second half and rushed ending.

aaaand today they revealed the #2 reactor has melted into the pacific giving off 500 times the lethal dose to kill a human in seconds.
I didn't ask for this meme magic, this power, this curse.

STALKER meets Subnautica.

I like medieval fantasy but more specifically Japanese medieval fantasy. I find it to be really cozy. I also like it because I find that even though the Japs have their own warrior culture, they seem to really like European warrior culture. It's kinda cute.

I love industrial landscapes (IRL mostly), and I'm quite fond of post-apocalyptic cities.
It could probably be summed up as having a boner for Chernobyl.

I would love a game with a setting that is part floating islands and part waterworld with islands. Where everyone uses airships to travel as the giant oceans of the world are full of leviathan like monsters.

I just want a rpg like game where your a captain of an airship and you have to recruit, train, and equip your crew and you can go explore floating islands, fight air pirates,or play as a merchant.

fuck thats never going to happen

You're not wrong. Nintendo's best IP had one of the greatest looking floating cities I've seen though.

Have you played Skies of Arcadia?

I like the beach and vacation resorts I think Duke Nukem: Life's a Beach did it beautifully. The open, sunniness of it all and the aesthetic buildings make for a relaxing atmosphere and playing vidya while relaxed is a great feeling.

For me it's giant underground caves with kingdoms/societies, and not necessarily dwarf shit. I think there is a lot of potential in an RPG where the protag discovers and explores the "hollow earth".

There's a part in Unreal that does that. Though they're not used to much effect as a gameplay element, they use them amazingly well atmospherically.

While to much smaller scale, I know there's a level in the Quake mod Arcane Dimensions that uses a ton of floating islands and involves you activating bridges and stuff to get between them.

Tropics/Beach
Floating island/messed up gravity pocket dimension
Aztec/Mayan shit

I'm going to spin off on this and go with America as interpreted by the Japanese. There's a weird sort of 'through the looking glass' vibe that Japanese games set in the heart of America tend to give off that strikes that perfect balance between familiar and unique. It's sort of surreal in that sense, and it's a feeling that's really hard to describe, all I know is that I like it.

The way the Japanese view American culture is kind of kawaii, it's refreshing, since every faggot the world over tends to depict us with nothing but vitriol.

They also make the best American protagonists.

1800s London.

Not really a setting, but I love blue night skies with big-ass bright stars, the kind of shit you wanna stare at for hours while camping out in a forest.

Yeah, pretty much, Japs pick up the things that are most important to western world that we are not aware of ourselves because we are surrounded by it all the time. Then they stress them out, and you get the comfy level.

Mushrooms that glow areas. Probably the only thing I liked from Skyrim besides the night sky.

Huge, pristine woods or gardens when the game has been centered in cities before that point. Bonus for comfy music.

I have a lot of Hubble photos if you want them.

I'M TELLING YOU MOTHERFUCKER THAT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE A FLOATING BEAR

Cool sci-fi + fantasy mixes, where both tech and magic co-exist rather than rival each other.

Damn I have to replay that game … again

Desolate areas get me every time. Shame about what happened to the music though.

You can also play it on a non-shit platform for free
igg-games.com/the-flame-in-the-flood-free-download.html
(not the latest version, but I'm sure the latest version is somewhere out there). Alternatively, try it out like this and buy it if you really like it

Same here. I work on a big car factory and I thoroughly enjoy going from one building to the other by walking just because of that.

Somewhat related. Hashima Island:
google.com/maps/@32.6267002,129.738814,3a,75y,10.09h,76.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgJEh0cSd2yqjUAoC9Thnjw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Play Ultima.