He's truly the master, eh?

The problem is creating a game around open world. I like to think devs recognize the trap and just prefer to make real video games.

The problem is TES had a lot of lore that was autistically prepared and flower well, up to Oblivion.
Most games don't have that, so they have an empty world filled with easter eggs.

Now, Anons will disagree with me, and I disagree with me, but Skyrim actually pulled this off well.
There was a lot of generic places that didn't matter, like bandits and random huts, but they also had a lot of areas scattered over the map that were just dungeons to some, but other people noticed they had well written lore backing up why they were there, or what happened there in the past.

If you have an open-world for the sake of having an open-world, it will fail.
If you have the autism required to craft a universe that explains all of the little aspects of the world, then it will sell.

Just because you don't play them it doesn't mean they do not exist.

Labyrinthian wasn't even a dungeon.

2 of these are shit, 3 of these have horrible combat mechanics, and 2 of these have generic game world settings.

And TES is all three.

There was a labyrinth though, wasn't there? Some magic one you had to do for the Mages Guild.

Now let's not get crazy, user.

Hardly, there are about 2-3 dead ends in the whole dungeon, you can breeze through it in about 3 minutes.

All TES has going for it is the modding honestly and lore if you're an autist. If Morrowind didn't come with the construction set TES would never had gained its current status.

Have you heard about menzoberranzan, the city of drow elves from D&D? This is from where morrowind's setting grows its legs.

Oh, I didn't really remember it. If you say it's shit, I'll take your word for it, not going to replay it.

Other than an AD&D setting sourcebook, there was nothing really out there that matched it.
I'd say that the 2nd picture more closely matches Skyrim's Falmer if I were stretching.

Telling lies Todd?

I deleted the comment when I spotted that, my apologies for the error.
Wasn't the game influenced more by Ultima than D&D though?

Back to reddit.
If you can't handle your post having an error, either reply to it and correct yourself or ignore it and let anons call you names.

It's worse than I remembered.

Spent too much time in youtube comments, I require bleach.

That's why there's a ton of GTA and minecraft clones huh.

I think what TES aims to create is an illusion of a living world where there are a lot of things that are actually going on at the same time and everything in has it's own reason for it's existence, and the player is a part of it. Sandbox with a breath of life. Newer TES (after morrowind or oblivion at least) may have missed the point of what TES was meant to be, but they haven't abandoned it.

Not going to criticize the quality of these games, but fundamentally, none of these games is close to TES. The structure of these games might resemble older crpg's, but not TES in particular. The overworld is vast, but what's contained in it isn't as vast as TES. Gothic 3 isn't massive enough to be compared to TES. Amalur is a singleplayer MMO. Maybe you could make a better argument if you posted Ultima 7 or something, but no modern game is remotely close to TES.

Let's put it ths way. "Real" game design (where the dev dictates what the player should do, even with multiple choices) can't be TES. However, a disjointed sandbox can't be TES either. TES is about creating a disjointed sandbox and then connecting all the cluttered resources into one comprehensive existence.

I delete a post then repost it corrected whenever I fuck up

This, morrowind is ALMSIVI tier tbh.

These are good games (except tw2), but none of them approach Morrowind in terms of quality. The Witcher has its moments and Dragons dogma requires effort to kill some of the bigger monsters.

Really the only reason there is no TES substitute is because its main appeal is modding. I can't really think of any other game that has such an autistic modding community that works so much on TES games. You can mod in sex mods that let you create a playthrough where you go around enslaving loli argonians and milk them for gold while also having an arsenal of AKs and 100 followers.

It's more fun to mod than any game out there because it's a coherent sandbox game with a world which players can easily shape according to their own vision.