Okay kiddo, how do you like your zombies in vidya?

Okay kiddo, how do you like your zombies in vidya?
A unstoppable force that just keeps coming?
A obstacle in the way?
A general nuisance to deal with?
Or Pussy Mode:They pose no threat and are simply there for fun.

Mindless hordes with special types

I prefer a mix of feral and sentient.

As necromancers' puppets and nothing else. Zombies are fine, zombie apocalypses are not.

ones that are still fuckable

Dormant forces that poses no threat until you trigger something that makes them hostile to a specific target, not necessarily your character

Do you perfer 3D or 2D?

Stalker did zombies pretty well. They were still people and seemed to hold some degree of sentience.

Their brains were fried though

Do you have a decay limit or are skeletons fine?

Left 4 Dead with melee only pushing zombies away, limited ammo (especially for the pistol), either no horde events or a reliance on environment shit to deal with them, and slight tweaks to the already existing stealth system

Love them.
I really enjoy slaying horde of enemies once in a while and zombies are perfect for that.

Problems start when I only slay mindless hordes of zero difficulty zombies in the game.

I prefer mine fuckable

i would rather have flying ghosts, flaming skeletons or huge meat monsters than zombies

This, supernatural enemies should be in games more often.

I'd really prefer games move away from zombies as at this point they really are just a lazy excuse to use an extremely limited AI thousands of times over rather than develop something that can actually manage to be a threat.

However, that's unlikely to happen Order 1886 and Bloodborne were supposed to be about werewolves which could have posed an interesting shift but Bloodborne went full lovecraft and the order…. sucked so bad you didn't even remember it until you read it

I vastly prefer my zombies to be an obstacle in the way to the nth degree. A massive persistent threat that is, in fact, manageable under ideal situations. The video game that has come closest to this is Dying Light. Their implementation of zombies as an enemy was damn near perfect. Freshly infected zombies were fast but very quickly their bodies degrade to slow shambling husks. The sheer number of enemies made staying on the ground treacherous but by simply getting on top of a vehicle you could reduce the danger you were in significantly. Most importantly was the idea that a bite or being infected wasn't actually fatal. They had medication you can take and be fine which added a whole other (sadly largely ignored) vector to the situation. If someone is bitten then they can still be helpful with medication, but what happens when meds start running low? Some people can take weeks between doses, some will turn in a day or two.

I absolutely loved the series "In the flesh" simply because it actually had zombies that could be cured. That's right, even if you were walking around with your guts hanging out and half your face missing they could tie you down, stitch you back together and give you a shot in the brain stem that returned you to a completely human state of mind, you even get to keep being nearly indestructible and no need to actually eat anything.

Just imagine a zombie game where you actually have to restrain and pacify zombies without being allowed to kill them. That could lead to a lot of fun gameplay opportunity.

Serious Sam would like a word with you.

Won't you get zombieAIDS though?

Left 4 Dead 3 is best zombie game, all the other zombie games are trash.

Other than that might I suggest project zomboid? They improved the game quite a bit since the first time they announced it. You can survive a bite/scratch from a zed but the chances are extremely low apparently but the chance can be raised (slightly) with the "lucky" perk.

You can also choose how you want your zombies and I believe how intelligent they are (being able to open doors and climb rope ladders) As well as their amount, there are also certain modes you can start off with such as a day before outbreak (giving you a chance to gather materials for an entire day with a couple zombies spread about) the next day zombies spawn normally and migrate. Two weeks later after outbreak (in the middle of the outbreak with only a month or so of electricity and running water) or the two months later scenario (full on infection and fall of civilization, no water or electricity and hardly any starting gear besides the clothes on your back)

They also added "special game modes" where your guy is drunk, injured and his house is on fire all while in the middle of an outbreak. I think it's super fun and with certain mods you can make it an autistic wonderland of building shit, plus you'll always be busy maintaining your house due to the deteriorating of houses and such as time goes on. The map is vast and the developers keep adding connecting towns (mods add towns too), rural areas see less zombies but may experience roaming hoards and urban areas see constant migration of zombies and a tendency for them to stay there/get trapped.

I could go on and on about what they are adding but unfortunately they haven't implemented other AI controlled survivors but they have sprinkled the maps with already destroyed houses and dead survivors, boarded up houses with zeds trapped inside. It definitely feels like the map is inhabited to an extant.

Don't really care one way or another as long as they are interesting to fight.
Dead Rising has mostly braindead zombies which aren't a challenge to fight but they are fun to toy around.
Killing Floor has "zombies" where each has a unique ability and on their own are largely harmless.

7 Days To Die is probably my favorite way I've seen zombies handled. During the day they're the slow lumbering hordes which are more set dressing than threat (well, unless you don't know what you're doing because even as slow as they are they're programmed to stun you if they get in a hit) and at night they begin to run and become horrifying unstoppable hordes of death. Add to it that every 7th night they come directly for you in an attack horde (that grows larger every time), and that they'll also send hordes if you're making too much noise or cooking too much, it makes the zombies feel like a solid threat that you're constantly having to think about. Also: They tear through buildings to get you.

Now if you'll excuse me my urge to build a wall to keep out the unwashed hordes is growing.

I was surprised to see how much it evolved from last time I played it.

Fun to kill and still a legitimate threat is what I find easiest to enjoy; bonus points for locational damage to stagger and cripple the undead.

They've made some neat changes. Even these screenshots are quite old at this point. I haven't tried the latest Alpha yet but I'll be hopping on with a few friends tonight. I wish they'd finish it, but so long as they keep adding things of worth I can't really bitch.

zombies like this are pretty cool, they only pose a threat when your backed against a wall.

Dead Rising did fun zombies well.

Something about these kinds of zombies brings out a primal fear in me. Maybe it's the noises they make but I can't bring myself to play this.

Endless hordes of sound-activated slow shamblers that cannot be stopped, only evaded and hidden from. They're a constant passive thread, like the left side of the screen on a forced-scroll platformer level - if you stand still you will die, but if you keep moving you may live.

I like my zombies cute.

They are fucking terrifying, I get freaked out some times even with hundreds of hours under my belt. They're horribly unpredictable and that is probably what fucks with me the most, though the noises don't hurt. Still you might want to try more, exposure can sometimes make fears like that go away. When I was a kid and played Resident Evil 2 for the first time I couldn't play it for more than an hour and had nightmares for weeks on end about zombies bursting through the large window in our kitchen at the time. Eventually I started watching zombie films and playing more zombie games and eventually while I still got a little scared it became more a thrill than something I couldn't deal with. Now I'm a god damn zombie killing pro.

I prefer that zombies not be there at all. They aren't interesting and are completely overused.

Is this game good? Early access zombie survival is possibly the biggest red flag there can be. Do you only survive for 7 days? That sounds kind of interesting. What annoys me about survival games is the effort to survive fucking forever, it should be more about surviving less time but with different challenges or gimmicks.

Zombies in Thief were pretty neat actually and I can't quite put my finger on what made them work so well. Being really slow moving draws you into a sense of security around them, for one.

Nah, it's a survive forever game. You might not like it if you don't like other survival games. I do feel it has more than other open world survival games mostly because of the fully destructible world and the strong adherence to themes, but you need to really love zombies if you don't like survival games to get in to this. For example I don't like Ark, found Dayz stupid, and I haven't even bothered to look further in to the whole survival thing. Basically 7 Days is the only one I like and I like it more as a zombie themed minecraft (or a minecraft with an actual point to the shit you build). And if early access bothers you I do suggest waiting until it actually finishes, always a safer bet (plus then you can pirate it).

Nice digits.

Bloodborne was a great thing to happen, I enjoyed the twist into the cosmic horror. It's just that there isn't any game about werewolves, like at all. So when Project Beast Souls gets leaked, followed by trailers of werewolves from a company known for game mechanics where you slowly become more and more removed from humanity doesn't deliver I get blue balls.

The last 'werewolf' game I got was fucking skyrim. It's only ever a spell or effect and always has to share the setting with its retarded cousin the vampire. I dunno, hoping the Paradox WtA game will deliver.

And yeah, project Zomboid is definitely a game I play eventually. It looks pretty good. Problem is that so many zombie games are out that I've just adopted a blanket ban on them for now.

When I was a little kid I could play horror games that didn't involve deep water Thanks Jak and Daxter but I got traumatized by The fucking Wind Waker of all games. Resident evil wasn't so bad for me but playing a light hearted game like Zelda and getting to my first redead.

Yeah, the Redeads in Wind Waker were creepy fucks. Something about those faces and eyes. What they did was already creepy enough in the N64 version but the extra definition and redesigns were just fucked up.

I want an [spolier]openworldsurvivalgame[/spoiler]
Where zombies or whatever actually pose a threat, and when you meet someone else it's actually a bad idea to kill them, as you are both constantly in danger.

But no, we have to have east RDM simulators instead

Disregard my spoiler i suck cocks

SDALKER had 2 kind of zombies, and if you want to count Snorks are zombies 3.

I need more people to play that game with.

Keep that shit out of my games period.

>not using * *

7 Days to Die is the closest thing you'll get to that. I'd settle for a Day Z with zombies that weren't buggy as shit and hordes that moved around.

Fug that, I still can't play a SH game (1-4) without that sense of dread and fear. Even after replaying the various times. I don't mind it though it just means Team Silent did a very good job when it came to their game. On that note Siren also gives me that feeling too.

Here's the better question.

Do you like your zombies durable and able to survive many hits, or do you prefer them to be weaker than normal humans?

SPOILER THAT SHIT YOU FAGGOT

Durable in modern fiction because guns are a thing, weaker in fantasy.

Weaker if they're infected humans, since their bodies should already be decaying and softening up, and stronger if they're undead, because they're technically already dead.

Depends on how they are done, what kind of zombie they are. Blowing off / chopping off limbs to permanently kill them is more interesting.

Is that really a zombie? That doesn't look like one. Is the decay internal?

zombies can be cute you bully

I can see the cute just fine. I'm looking for zombie features.

I prefer them to be invisible

not an argument

She's a chinese zombie. It's canon that she keeps her body and skin well-maintained, but she's rotting on the inside, her brain for example.

STOP

I also like my zombies to be infected by stuff sent in the mail.

I like zombies that aren't bullet sponges. I should be able to kill them with a headshot. That's why I hate zombies in CoD, in the first wave you can melee them and/or 1 headshot = 1 kill but after that they become bullet sponge.

I think Left 4 Dead still have the perfect formula after all these years. Zombies are easy to kill but they come as a big group.
Dying Light was pretty good too, except for the spitters that were more of an annoyance than a challenge.

Wasn't Operation Raccoon City a bit like that too? I liked the co-op campaign.

Yoshika a cute!

A CUTE!

As for regular zombies, it really depends on the game. Thief's zombies were slow and shuffling but nonetheless threatening because they were proverbially indestructible unless you had holy water and you normally were not moving that fast either.

When the character is capable of moving fast, on the other hand, so should the zombies - unless you are in a confined space with a whole lot of them.

You're making way too many assumptions, lad.
Zombies are literally a jewish invention to make game devs get away with shit AI

Both as a unstoppable force and a nuisance to deal with and i mean like the the old days of RE unlike today which are dumb,easy to avoid and over all bullet sponges.

It sounds like every kind of cancer combined, but it's one of the best cases of EA. Been in dev for over 3 years now and is completely unrecognizable. I don't play as much vidya as I used to but I always get at least a few dozen more ours on that every new alpha.

Every 7 days a blood moon rises and a feral horde that hones in on your location spawns and attacks you. It gets harder over time, with larger numbers and more special zombies, and difficulty reduces if you're shit and die a lot. Also you have a chance to get infected by zombies that hit you, and the infection worsens after time; after 7 days at the default day cycle rate, you'll die. This can be cured by antibiotics or more common cures in the early stages.

The resource survival becomes much easier past the initial start-with-fuckall, and once you've established a base you can easily grow all the food you need and make water storage that doesn't run out (they might change this in future, it does make water pretty moot). There's also a wellness system where you start at 100 HP/Stamina, lose 10 per death to a minimum of 70, and gain small amounts of it when you consume nutritious, cooked food/drink and vitamins. There's also heat/cold system but unless you're an idiot and try to settle in a snow/desert/wasteland biome, it's not a nuisance.

The focus is definitely on surviving the zombies, and once you start looting houses you'll quickly get a stock of food/drink that should last you until you get a chance to farm/find a sustainable water source and the tools to boil it. Building your autism fort is also a focus, because voxel, and once you're real good/cheese the defenses the game will boil down to buildan/cruising around on your minibike lootan/going rambo on screamers and weekly hordes unless you play on max difficulty, which is better at maintaining challenge. Or installing a hardmode mod. There's some damn good mods.

Give it a pirate if you can find a recent alpha (currently 15).

They are easy to avoid, but the levels you encounter them in are claustrophobic enough and have enough dead ends that if you fuck up you're in trouble. The only exception is down in the bonehoard, and in that level you can basically ignore them.

Basically this, sort of 28 weeks later style though you don't see that much anymore. I'm actually interested to see how this game does it (2:30 for when the horde shows up) even though the individual AI looks fairly shit.

>Zombies are literally a jewish invention to make game devs get away with shit AI
Given that your options for the origin for zombies is either going to be Voodoo, I Am Legend (the book) or Romero they were not literally a jewish invention. Stop misusing that word.

I think he was joking, you know since zombies existed before vidya

Slow, shambling, but can only be killed with a headshot or complete bodily disintegration.
They come in massive hordes that can somehow share your location with every zombie in a two-mile radius as long as they know where you are.
They pose no threat alone, even in some surprise encounters if you're not caught completely off-guard before you even have a chance to react, but they come in such huge numbers and are such a massive drain on resources that they are more like a force of nature than a horde of monsters.

Essentially, they're the concept of area control, personified. Being sighted by one immediately makes the surrounding area completely unsafe and uninhabitable, and you will have to find alternate routes to escape their line of sight before leaving the area entirely. Defending yourself is pointless. If you're spotted, give up on the area you're in and find somewhere new to relocate.

Player controlled for maximum griefing.

Then he shouldn't misuse the word literally.

I like my Zembies slow and lumbering. One shot to the head ought to kill them, and there should be a lot of them.

Can you give all the zombies sombreros?

It was literally a joke you kike

What game? I hope its not a multiplayer game

one of the sniper elite zombie games. honestly i wasn't at all impressed by them

I played a bit of sniper elite 3, didnt know it had zombie spinoffs too.

Zombie Army Trilogy
It's coop/single player. I like it a lot. You get 3 campaigns that progressively get better and a few options to tailor difficulty and zombie amount. It also has a neat synth soundtrack. Definitely worth checking out, it goes on 75% sale all the time on seasonal (((steam))) sales.

It's a spinoff off Sniper Elite 2

I can also vouch for Zombie Army Trilogy if you get it on sale. It's obviously a budget title, in many ways it feels like a very high quality mod but it's great fun with a few friends. I particularly like the fact they didn't stick a fucking persistent unlock system in to force you to grind before trying the harder levels: everything is there from the start.

I like it Resident Evil style. Where there's a set number of them and you have to think "Do I want to waste my resources on this fuckwit? Or do I want to save it and try to just run past?"

you think it'll still have some online life by the next sale. You guys have got me interested.

No idea, I'm afraid I only play it with friends.

They were bullet sponge superhulks.

Played it online just now. In the span of an hour I had 2 guys join on me and stick, and 2 guys hopping on and just leaving. It's not super populated. But it shouldn't be too hard to find a game still. Don't let the active players fool you. A lot of people just play with their friends in private lobbies.

The original Dead Rising was really cool in that zombies were both an obstacle and a threat. As time goes on, the mall becomes more and more crowded and managing supplies and inventory space becomes essential since you don't want your shit breaking or you running out of health. You also had to plan routes accordingly based on what items you needed, who you wanted to rescue, what goals you were shooting to achieve, and how long it will take you to pass through there. Not to mention evading zombies as survivors are dumb as shit (which while it can be frustrating, it helps to make this work). They're also a lingering threat - not particularly dangerous, but if you shift your attention away for too long (such as for a boss or to rescue somebody) then you could find yourself absolutely and totally mobbed.

And if you didn't have any particular goals in mind and just wanted to fuck around, you can just dick around and hack away with whatever abilities and weapons you found. This also serves the purpose of letting you get familiar with the game's mechanics, the lay of the land, and even level up your character if the run is too tough for you.

Infinity mode also makes it kind of interesting with no unlimited health pickups from the environment, along with your health constantly ticking down ever so slowly. You have to fight survivors and wade through crowds of zombies in order to find/acquire health items.

Is the new PC version of Dead Rising any good?

That's going to be Scripted Event: The Video Game.

Yeah, it runs fine, it's pretty bug free, looks fine. I think any issues with it not running have been patched out.

You have to have the latest version of Internet Explorer to get audio working.

I'd like to say that I don't want to see any more zombies in vidya at all, but there really is much more to do with the genre that's just been left out in our current vidya haze. Think of Survival Crisis Z, which was like a proto-STALKER with creatures being twisted and warped by anomalies in a hellish spirit world. But then I'm just talking about tone and stuff and how zombies'd fit into a larger design here, rather than how they'd work themselves.

Underrated trips.

With Vampire Killer or Monster Dance playing in the background.
Really though I like them as one of many kind of mooks a game has rather the sole enemy type or the focus of the setting. And I like skeletons mixed in with them.

I prefer them fragile but persistent.

i like them to fluctuate between all 3 difficulty levels.
a few is just a nuisance.
a normal amount is an obstacle.
and when concentrations get too high, theyre an unstoppable obstacle.

I always preferred George Romero's zombies. hundreds of slow and stupid zombies and only headshots kill them, no special zombie shit.

best zamboni

I like them working well as a gameplay mechanic, mainly to be satisfactory to kill(but just the former is fine really), otherwise they are only dragging the game down by either being a chore or a nuisance that you have to deal with for as long as you are playing the game.
Zombie shooter 2 and nation red are two ends of the spectrum.
Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned and dead island.
Killing floor series and zombie gameplay mods hamfisted into, let's say, f2p games, for example.
Dead space and re:revelations.

While they definitely could have been implemented better, I really liked the overall design of the Skulls from MGSV.

For real?

we truly are living in the future.

But why?

The whole hoard attack looks nice and tense but I can't help feel that almost anything else but zombies would have made it better. Skeletons, velociraptors, clanky rusty robots, kindergartners on the mother of all sugar highs, anything

That's sadly what it looks like to me too.

Windows 10 and Windows Store.

That looks like shit tbh

I quite like the zombies in No More Room in Hell. I don't think I've ever seen that game being discussed here (probably for a reason, because the game is quite crude and unpolished), but it does slow zombies very well

The big problem with Nmrih is with the melee combat. The disconnect between the zombie animations and movements and when they deal damage is huge, so very often you get the how the hell did it hit me reaction. Still, it can be quite fun with cooperative friends and the game does the scarcity of ammo and supplies very well.

Metal Gear Survive could be fun if it's done right, although I wish they went with the skulls/zombies from the campaign instead of that crystalline entity.
the more I see it the more I think the game mode was cut from the main game because Kojima was wasting too much time on dumb shit
Too bad Kojifags will shit on the game just because "fuck Konami" meme

as minor minions alongside actually interesting monsters. I want my mermen and werewolves rather than just a dude who got sliced up.

So VTM:B/World of Darkness?

That's not even the real one, you fucking normalfag, check the filesize. The real one's something like 3-4MB in size.

There are lots of good reasons to say Fuck Konami that have nothing to do with being a Kojima fan.

Can you save Hitler?

user…

This.
The reasons range from pachinko machines to Konami trying their hardest to make their employees want to kill themselves.

CoD's shitty arcade shooting actually worked when you put it in an arcade setting, shit was so fun, I just want a 20 dollar standalone of it, instead of 60 dollars for a dumb campaign and multiplayer full of bronies and 12 year olds.

Oh yeah and the new CEO trying to make everything into a mobile game, free-to-play or pachinko on his very first day on the job

you can just pirate the older ones, most of them have zombies included now

State of Decay did them pretty good.

Strategically placed, because mindless hordes of enemies is shit design no matter the genre.

get the fuck out of here

do they have multiplayer? Because that'd be fucking awesome.

A natural disaster as damaging and equal to in response as a category 9 hurricane.

I'll shit on the rest of the movie but the opening to the Dawn of the Dead remake got the vibe right.

I like the zombies in Zombi, but one thing that really pisses me off about them is that headshots aren't an instakill.
I don't care what game or universe it is, zombies dying from headshots should be a universal rule.

What's your problem with the Dawn of the Dead remake? I thought it was really good.

What kind of zombie is most fuckable?
One that is generally calm and polite, until she goes too long without feeding and becomes insatiably lewd?
Or the kind that will throw one of her own boobs at you at a joke, and try to hide her arousal with an air of confidence as you carefully sew it back on for her?

MARK YOU FAGGOT

While we're on topic, what's the best scenario for zombies? I liked how Sleeping Dogs did it with Nightmare on North Point, I just wish it was longer.