Are the old Tomb Raider games still enjoyable and good? I've never played any of them

Are the old Tomb Raider games still enjoyable and good? I've never played any of them.

Other urls found in this thread:

xproger.info/projects/OpenLara/
tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/widescreen.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm trying to motivate myself to play them. They are good. The problems with them are purely technical. For instance the Sega Saturn version is the highest framerate version since the framerate is uncapped but the worst performing version. The PSX version looks like shit and the PC version is lost to MS DOS or some shit.

If we had a full framerate version with FOV/widescreen and all the bells and whistles I could tolerate them.

But yes they're pretty good games. I have a soft spot for them and I've only ever beaten the first one. The games maintain an autistic community to this day thanks to no competitiors to the series ever emerging and the series itself going off the rails, somewhat like Resident Evil. They even make their own levels or mini-length games.

All we can hope is one of the several fan projects to finish their custom engine. They've been going on for some time with good progress but shit outside the development itself fucks it over.

Mouse support for camera would be nice too.

Play 3 and onwards in the psx era. Play Anniversary if you want to see TR1. Avoid Angel of Darkness and try out Underworld if you like the feeling of Anniversary.

xproger.info/projects/OpenLara/

Just play this shit and dream of what we should have. Game just needs a software upgrade.

Don't listen to that fucking retard.

Tomb raider games are slower paced games that require plenty of exploring and thinking unlike The Nu tomb raiders. You can get them all working on windows 7 from my experience. Controls are gird based, but it works well with lining up jumps.

In general they aren't good but you'd be hard pressed to find a competitor for it's niche.

Yes. The original 3-4 are all time greats. Check out pcgamingwiki or a similar site if you want to get them running on a modern PC. If you want to skip the old games Legend is pretty good. Do not play Angel of Darkness.

Hold me user

nuLara ain't so bad, guys.

However IMO the early games (first trilogy, maybe) are the only ones that are truly good.

Those aren't really "Old Lara" though. Nice numbers.

nuLara has a fantastic body but the developers are cucknadians that want her to cover up and wear a burqa

It's funny. For all the cries of objectification, NuLara for me is much more sexualized than the old one. I never felt aroused by Old Lara. However , nuLara looks way more realistic, and has a bigger butt. I'm torn.

Honestly though, I think new Lara looks the best. Imagine her with old Lara's clothes, oh boy.

The tits need to be bigger.

Woah, wait, what? Holy shit that looks and runs fantastically.
Walls are a little less solid than they should be, but otherwise that's golden.

tits are just fake asses

you can mod widescreen into the 1st 4 games and im sure you can play them in 1080p as well
tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/widescreen.html

and if use xpadder and map it out like the PS/saturn pad you dont have to deal with the shitty keyboards controls either

They're fantastic if you actually like video games. Start from the beginning.

Its not that, its that nuLara's deaths are so brutally detailed that it comes off as creepy or cartoony.

Why not? Genuinely curious. I never played it.

That's actually backward, primates evolved more pronounced asses to mimic the breasts
Sorry but evolution says tits > ass

The controls are extremely fucked and the game feels unpolished throughout.
It's not that bad but it's probably the worst of the series if you ignore the reboots.

This

Nigger it was a fucking train wreck.

Evolution says your waifu enjoys riding my dick.

Evolution says my balls are tiny because mai waifu would never ever cheat on me.

What's the best version of Tomb Raider 2?

You can substitute the first game for Anniversary if you can't get it running on PC. 2 onwards work well on PC, though there may be some minor issues with cut-scenes. Use something like Joy2Key or Xpadder to map keyboard controls to a gamepad because proper gamepad support is questionable on older games.
TR1 is my favourite, but 2 is the best. 3 ups the bullshit and is a huge difficulty spike, while 4 goes slightly different and is more like one huge level than a series of levels. 5 is an anthology of different mini episodes.
Ignore Angel of Darkness.
Legends is OK, but too short. Anniversary is the best of the first reboot/middle series. Underworld is OK but it was also a bug ridden mess when I played it at launch. I don't know how it runs now.
After Angel of Darkness the series got soft rebooted. Legends, Anniversary, and Underworld are part of the soft-reboot canon. Anniversary still works on its own as a replacement for TR1 though. The new hard reboot is OK, mechanically, but the writing is terrible and doesn't match the gameplay or the previously established character, which might have made sense being an origin story, but it was done with hamfists and crayons.

One thing I definitely liked about the old games was that the jumping felt more tense. You needed momentum in your jumps and you needed to jump right at the end of ledges. You needed to hold the "action" button while you were climbing to grab onto ladders/edges, which allowed for precise drops. It all felt a little more engaging even if it allowed for cheesing ladders a little bit when you were going down.

Been playing the first game. The controls are clunky as fuck, but the game is SO atmospheric.