How come nintendo doesn't ever advertise this as a handheld?

How come nintendo doesn't ever advertise this as a handheld?
What I mean by this is you take it on the go of course and it's a console but they don't talk about how impressive it is as a portable device.

It's the most powerful gaming handheld ever and btfo of the vita and 3ds in graphical fidelity.
They never talk about this in their press release or adverts.
Why are they so scared of advertising it as a beast handheld?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/Iwvzc
archive.is/ihI08
vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The switch range is 2.5 to 6 hours depending on the game
It was the same for the vita and 3ds when it released.

Retarded shill spotted.

To be fair, it's got a usb c port, so battery life isn't a real issue for the thing anyway
The real reason it isn't be marketed as a handheld is because it's too damn huge
Granted, it's better than the wii u tablet, which was like an ipad got into a teleporter accident with an xbox and the end result was mass produced by playskool, but it's still not going to easily slip into a pocket, especially not with the clip-on dongles

Yeah but that was just an estimation to be safe. I've never had a charge in my 3DS last me less than 5 hours.

This time they're putting a huge emphasis on it because it WILL have a 3 hour battery life when running games like Breath of the Wild - and it'll probably last 6 if you only play shitty indie games or just scroll through the menus.

Not much worse than the 3DS's battery life honestly. The longest I've ever had my N3DSXL last is around 5-6 hours, and that's with power saving enabled, low brightness and disabled WiFi. And since it has a standard USB-C port you can just use a power bank to keep it charged for extended periods.

Until the battery industry gets off their ass things 3-5 hours is probably the best we're going to get as far as HD handheld gaming goes.

That was 6 years ago. If Nintendo cannot beat 6 year old handhelds in battery life, it is shit.

Not the 3DS, but the Vita was fairly powerful compared to phones at the time.

Because Nintendo has an out of touch marketing team.

Or maybe they're cutting corners to keep the system sub 500

They always cut corners, why should the Switch be any different from their previous systems?

He's not really wrong
archive.is/Iwvzc
archive.is/ihI08
However, hardware is expected to improve over time, and the lack of improvement in battery life over all those years isn't a good sign for the console.

Holla Forums is going down the shitter

Well for starters they're merging their console and handheld platform. So games will go to only one piece of hardware.

Second it remains to be seen if this is powered by the more powerful Parker chip. I don't think straight ports will be possible due to architecture, but we shall see.

it was more about using sage as a down vote

sage isn't a god damn down vote

LOL Nintendo gave up on the Wii U, when am I getting Zelda on PS4? :^)
LOL Nintendo gave up making consoles, when am I getting Zelda on PS4? :^)

Shitposting options aside, it's because it doesn't actually replace the 3DS. Switch without joycons is the size of a closed 3DS XL, meaning that people who like the size of the 3DS are left out. On top of that the 3DS is actually successful, and naming the Switch as a successor would cut into their potential profits.
They have nothing to lose by calling the Switch a Wii U successor, so they're doing that.

We really should look more at these obscure Nintendo handhelds to get an idea of what they'll do next.

Is saging a shill thread a downvote now? What are the parameters for a sage being a "downvote" these days?

While that is true from a marketing perspective. It really feels more like a GBA successor than an actual console

The GBA had god-tier battery life, so nope.

o hai mark
Don't even pretend like you're not going to buy a Switch. I know you're going to, you know you're going to, and all of Holla Forums knows you're going to.

People keep calling it a handheld but it really doesn't seem like one. It's way too big to fit in a pocket.

It seems like it was designed to be portable in a "take it with you and set it up on a table somewhere" sense rather than an "actually play it on the train" sense. Probably the idea was to avoid competing with the 3DS too much.

I've always felt that the DS line branched off from the GBA SP, while Sony's handhelds branched off from the GBA. The Vita feels like a modern GBA. It's a shame Sony fucked it over so hard.
The Switch looks like the Wii U gamepad done right.

It's battery life is larger than the 3DS's at around 4000 mAh. The problem is the system eats up battery.

I think I might be in the minority, but it's rare for me to go anywhere without a backpack anyways, usually to bring my work laptop, headphones, and anything else I might need. The Switch is absolutely a portable for me, because I don't look at it and think, "yeah that fits in my pocket," I think, "yeah that fits in my backpack." Even my phone doesn't fit in my jeans pockets anymore, I have to use my butt pocket or my jacket for it or wear cargo pants/shorts.

This isn't in defense of the Switch's size or calling it a portable, more just saying a person's definition of "portable" might depend on what they regularly travel with.

Next examples, what is a portable console.

Because it's an overpriced thing with shit battery life and games will be made with it being a home console in mind rather than a handheld.
So instead they're selling an overpriced underpowered gimmick console again.

So a GBA successor with shit battery?

implying I don't know that

:^)

You're probably not in the minority. I'm sure the ladies will love it.

Feels more like a portable Wii successor, especially with the controllers.

Yeah the Vita could've done so much better if Sony didn't abandon the thing for PS4 and smartphones. However Sony is run by imbeciles so it's to be expected.

I dunno. Do the controllers have IR pointer functionality? None of the demos I played with had that feature.

I don't see Nintendo becoming as important to women as overpriced bags, make-up, and phones.

Greed can really hurt someone, I'd settle for the normal sd card thing.

The tablet is the IR. :^)

Arms is wii sports plus, at least you have the option of playing it like wii sports

Shieet i had one of those playstations until my dumbass cousin cracked the fucking screen and i got so mad that i smashed the fucking playstation against the floor.

Well here's the thing. When people go out. They usually bring a small bag with them. This isn't a concept exclusive to the female sex. I carry around a small backpack when I go on the train for hours. It remains to be seen if normalfags will also put in a Nintendo Switch into that same bag. However even phones don't really fit in pockets anymore.

I played ARMS. it'll be better to play it on a standard button layout. Punching is fun, but moving around is a bitch.

Well sheeeeeet

In portable electronics there is a constant struggle between horsepower, miniaturization, and battery life. You can't have all three. The fact that this thing has battery life remotely near the 3DS, while being vastly more powerful and with a screen in a completely different league speaks to the improvements in tech. If Nintendo had prioritized extended battery life at the expense of the other factors you would be complaining about those instead.

Incorrect. Phones fit just fine into pockets. Phablets are just warning signs indicating retarded people you should avoid so you don't catch their brain parasites.

True. But my point is that people have more options than just pockets. And I think tablets kinda show that.

Yes, Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII will use the IR pointer. But I don't know really for what exactly.

Phablets are more for the people who rarely use the phone functionality and just want a tablet, but also don't want to have to pick between carrying a phone and a tablet around, or being forced to settle for using a shitty phone for everything just because of the one or two calls they might be expecting.

Sounds like the perfect phone

It's the perfect phone for people who don't use it as a phone.
At the very least, if you have a phone headset of some sort (most people have at least the classic 'earbuds with a mic on the cord'), it's not the worst thing you can use.

Phablets are the perfect combination between phone and tablet, you just hate them because you are faggy millenial with skinny jeans.

The only issue I have with phablets is that they're annoying to pull out and use just to check a text or something. Smartwatches exist to help that to an extent, but I find them really inconvenient, and the one I tried was a piece of shit.

Sure, you can carry anything if you really want to. I could throw my desktop into a duffel bag and haul it around on my back. That doesn't make it portable. The important issue for the Switch with regard to portability is how willing the existing market for handheld systems is to adjust to a system that is less portable than existing options. It doesn't matter for certain segments who already have a handbag or backpack integrated into their daily routine. But losing pocket portability does matter for anyone who isn't routinely lugging a container for it.

Tablets are retarded to begin with. If I'm going to carry something that doesn't fit in my pocket it's going to have a goddamn keyboard and be able to run software besides shitty phone apps.

So you don't deny being a fag with skinny jeans? Good.

Because we need 5 Switch threads a day, right.

I remember when they said the same shit about Game boy and DS, and look where that got us. They're only saying it doesn't replace the 3ds now because they're hedging their bets in case it's another wii u. you can almost be sure if this fucking disaster is a success that the 3ds is gone.

how come people think this? how retarted to mods of Holla Forums have to be to believe this?

I worry about Pursetheft becoming more common now.

it's gonna be a solid success, especially with them using phone games to market their systems. It's a very good strategy, just look at Pokemon Sun and Moon. They're the best selling Pokemon games of all time, because of Pokemon GO to the polls. Ultimately I think the smartphone spin offs will play a part in marketing new games.

Who the fuck said that about a handheld that was BC with GBA games?

Nintendo.

They do. Commercials show it is portable & being taken all over the place.
What more needs to be shown in ads to convey mobility?

I bet they are so desperate to sell new cheap shit that they don't even know why they gave the green light to the Nintendo Gimmick.

This thing looks like medical equipment. Can you do ECG with it?

In MY day, when we wanted to play video games and someone else was using the TV, we had to wait for the commercial, Unscrew the Coaxial adapter from in between the TV and Cable line, Reattached the Cable line directly to the TV, unplug the power cord and controller, Roll all three cords up, take them and the gamesystem into a different room, AND THEN you had to find the smaller TV from whereever it got used last and lug the 15 pound thing over to the game area.
Then you had to move the end table so you could plug them into the wall, move the endtable back, screw the coaxial back in the TV and connect everything else.

AND WE LIKED IT THAT WAY, DAGNABBIT!

The sad part is i actually remember having to do that, with those gigantic as fuck TV's almost exactly like pic related when i was a kid. Those pitchforks were always a pain in the ass to install.

I never had to do the Pitchfork thing.

The Pitchfork coaxial adapters broke since before I could remember, so my dad just frayed the ends of the wires and we attached it to the screwplates that way.

Youngfags get out. Remember when cable TV was supposed to be ad-free?

I fully expect them to phase out the 3DS if the Switch turns out good. It's not like we'll be carrying a Switch and 3DS at the same time.

Oh man, reminds me of this thing that was a pain to setup for my N64, i fucking hated it and my parents never bought a fucking RCA compatible tv.

Wrong picture

Because anyone trying to use it as such will be sorely disappointed.

The battery life will be shit. Performance will suffer greatly when not docked. I guarantee the launch will be swamped with melting hardware issues.

Wanna know how I know this? Because this tech has already been out for years and the major strides necessary for it to be worthwhile haven't been made in physics yet.

There's nothing in the dock other than the charger
If you're saying the performance will suffer when it's not being charged, then it doesn't matter because the cables for it are already everywhere

I fucking WISH I had one of those.

No no no. You wanted to connect Playstation or N64 to the TV, you had to hook it up through the VCR (the broken one that doesn't play tapes anymore). Make sure you have the TV hooked onto the output for the VCR and makesure the VCR was hooked to the input for the system. Too bad the only labels for that are in faint black letters on the back and the input outputs are right next to each other.
And god help you if you wanted to move all THAT to a different room in the house.

Also, if it only came with a yellow cord and with cord, so it would be like 4-5 years before you connected the red one too and realized half the audio was missing the entire time,

One word: throttling.

If you have to be plugged in for performance to not suffer, it's not a fucking portable. It's also dependant on how much voltage etc etc.

That can't even manage a 1080p screen while your phone and tablet can and even more if you're using the 4k res ones.

ID of truth.

Hell, the nvidia shield was able to run Metal Gear Rising like 3 years ago.

I'm glad the overall functioning is like the 3DS, that means piracy will be guaranteed.

probably using 720p to conserve power for battery life, it IS an Nvidia chip after all.

Tangentially Nintendo related, can any anons identify this game for me?

t. jew

how about let's cut down on redundant threads and post new information in the already existing threads like a normal functioning human being.
(checked)
Things have been shit for a while now, but it's steadily getting shittier and shittier

The most powerful handheld console in the market RIGHT NOW is only capable of pushing out 540p graphics: the PS Vita. The Switch CAN do 1080p, in fact, it does so when docked - but the screen is 720p so why would you even bother? It's better to reduce resolution to match that of the screen and save battery life while you're at it.

720p is fine. If Sony ever makes a new handheld so never I fully expect them to add a 1080p screen.

Pretty sure that the Shield is more powerful than the Vita.

i think only one of those things is a joke

Imagine I wanted to visit my parents and didn't want to drive. It's over three hours on the train and I can't guarantee that I'll be sat next to a seat that has a socket
Or if I decide to catch a bus somewhere for a long trip

Or going through a power cut (which I'm going through right now actually)

is that supposed to be humor? What't the fucking punchline?

Post the rest of the Amazon stuff

I've always had a fantasy of molesting someone during a power outtage, just fucking them raw and most likely raping them.

This is more of a "No shit" than a joke.

Shit, this is beyond dry humor.

actually the dock has a fan too, the point is to allow it to clock higher when docked. This is compensated by the fact that the tablet is displaying at 720p whereas when docked it displays at 1080p. So essentially there is no performance difference, just a resolution difference which you wouldn't really notice on a smaller screen.

were these legitimately written by a person with autism? That's the only way I can conceive them not understanding humor.

The punchline are the kids who buy that book and their parents for having autistic offspring.

I'm gonna call it now: Nintendo will release a separate handheld, instead of having all zelda, mario, pokemon, etc. on the same system, you're gonna have to get another one.
This and other reasons will cause the Switch to fail miserably

I meant it in the way that's it's trying WAYYYYYYY too hard. Dry humor is my favorite kind of humor.

There ya go! I know you don't have enough braincells to make an accurate statement, so I did one for you!

They do have Bloodborne and many a PS4 exclusive matched or beaten in resolution, though, with BOTW's 900p visuals.

Where did Nintendo claim they developed the idea for a portable console and/or Tegra graphics?

If it had a 1080p screen, the graphics would lead to a short battery life and it'd be over $400, and you'd bitch them out for that, instead.

If you're brain damaged enough to buy a Nintendo product today with the expectation of an Overwatch/Dark Souls tablet with graphics equal to the PC version, you deserve the disappointment.

While any difference in graphics performance should be an option, battery life is key when the device is unplugged. See above, if it had shitty battery life, you'd be bitching about that instead.

The battery life already ruins the handheld aspect of the Switch and forces it to be that home console you can play within the confines of your home so this is a non issue, the bigger price is but people would have to be shit-eating cucks to buy a console at launch when it costs the most and has no games.

Battery life over 3 hours is a non issue in a world where every mobile device has a car adapter and every passenger airline worth their salt has power outlets. I know the one I fly with does, even on small >2-hour flights. You will be shit out of luck, though, if the $15 you spend on a car adapter is the difference between whether or not food is on the table, or if you live in an fifth world warzone country with regular power outages.

It's going to have a big fat Zelda game at launch, and will have Mario Kart, Splatoon, and a 3D Mario platformer by the end of the year. How many first-party games of that caliber were bestowed upon Xbone or PS4 in their first eight months?

So things the WiiU had. The people who like those games already buy Nintendo.

Because they don't want it to replace the DS, so they don't want it to compete with the DS.

Yes, but it took the Wii U a good chunk of its life span before it got them, switch is getting a huge chunk of enjoyable titles in the first year or so, where as it took the Wii U 3+ years to have comparable titles out.

My point is these games aren't going to generate any additional sales. No one who doesn't already own some type of Nintendo system is going to be swayed by any of those games.

It's an underpowered ARM device in a sea of x86 systems. It will have no third party support, as usual. When the majority of people buy systems, they don't simply think "That Zelda is nice" they also think "Am I going to be able to play RDR2?", the answer is always no with Nintendo since at least the Wii.
Also think about this for a second, if this console will end up having a library similar to an overpowered 3DS, is it really a home console that's also portable, or actually a fancy portable with shit battery that you can connect to the TV? When people imagine a home console that's also portable they think about playing GTA5 on the go, this will not happen.
And now with paid online, the secondary console excuse doesn't hold up anymore.
This could be the BEST pirate console ever made though, it may just sell because of that.

I don't know why you think this, but you're wrong.

A good observation, but I dont quite think so.
Because of the Wii U's lackluster sales, a lot of people have missed out on these titles and, with the switch, have a chance to pick em up all up in a relatively quick time.
Granted, I am mostly focusing on MK8 and Splatoon when I was talking about that.
Not to mention the new zelda, which will be the last title in the Wii Us life and first title int he Switches. So many people love Zelda and why would they go to the console on its way out?
So, personally, I feel like the good chunk of titles comparable to the Wii U's library will end up effecting sales by the end of the year.

I don't see new anywhere in the original statement.
I don't see at launch in the original statement.

Learn to read.

The gamecube also off-set third parties, with their stupid disks they were putting games on combined with the PS2 being the console to go to that gen.
I wouldn't say the switch is out for the count just yet though. I dont think any developers wouldn't develop for the console out of spite, and from what I heard it really does sound like its easier to develop for 3rd parties.
I honestly do think that third parties are just waiting on the side to see the sales.
But, I cant deny that the consoles portability power may effect a lot of third parties wishing to port to it. Something akin to "What? Were having trouble with draw distance and framerate on the Switch version? Eh, fuck optimizing just can the port."
Maybe the portability of the 3rd party games could potentially create a push, but thats a big hypothetical.

That's because Holla Forums is shrinking. Ever since Null fucked us the board's been slowly hemoraging users, while everything else except Holla Forums(which seems to be growing) is virtually dead.

Because it's cheap, and the switch expects me to pay the yearly internet access DLC like all the other consoles do now. Fuck that garbage.

Not too much cheaper weirdly enough. (At least in terms of buying a new console)
But yeah, the paid internet is pretty shitty. I hate everything and everyone for making this some sort of standard. PC is a good saving grace, at least.

They tried competing with power when it came to the design of N64 and Gamecube, and both were ripped apart, one for failing to accommodate the demand for third-rate jock rock soundtracks and shitty voice acting, and the other for not being a $300 all-in-one media center hub like the other two were attempting. Even SNES was blighted with Sega's misleading "Blast processing" talking point. Most western developers never warmed up to NES, either, it was more of a risk having to compete with Konami and Capcom.
As I said earlier, if you're looking for a cheap tablet on which to play Overwatch, CS:GO, and your favorite Souls game, you'll be sorely disappointed.
You know, I don't remember this kind of autistic screeching when Sony made PlayStation Plus mandatory for online MP on PS4.

PCs would be a saving grace if not for the requirement of cancer like Windows, Steam, Origin, and UPlay. All of the consoles have online services and all of that crap, but at least it's kept separate from your personal computer system.

Yeah that too is getting pretty exhausting to deal with.

Really it's mostly the tablet that keeps it from being TOO cheap, the console itself is 100, and the table is ~100 on it's own.

The N64 and Gamecube also fucked themselves with their storage choices. It made it hard on the devs, which is never a good idea.
Where were you then? I seem to remember a massive shit storm. The only thing that saved Sony was Microsoft fucked up even more.

Why does it matter if its separate or not? If you have anything you don't want others to see you should put it on a separate encrypted drive. You should do this regardless if you have steam or not.

Not quite. The main reason they failed was because it was a pain to put the consoles onto their formats. the 64 still used carts, which really tasked games with a lot of memory so they went to the more reliable disc formula. It was also cheaper to create disks as well.
The gamecube went full retard when it went with those tiny discs instead of regular DVDs. Again, it was a pain to port for the system, devs didnt want to deal with that shit. it was, again, also more expensive.
Granted I cant say the Gamecube not being an "all-in-one media center" didnt set it back, but its more of the PS2s ability to be a cheap decent DVD player made it skyrocket ahead.
I gotta say, that IS disappointing. I would love a decent portable machine that has Souls and Counter Strike, those sound like a blast to play on the go.
I do. People were furious, it was a solid thing sony had above microsoft taken away.
The blows were at least softened when they allowed for free games with the service, which as something microsoft wasn't even offering

Yeah, that gamepad is really driving up the price of the console.
It doesn't help it was a bitch to get a second one if something unfortunate happened to the original.

Both N64 and Gamecube launched at $199 against competition at least $100 more. That launch price came about because they didn't waste money licensing the popular storage medium of the week. With the resounding success of PC Engine CD, CDTV, CD32, CD-i, Pippin, 3DO, Sega CD, and Laseractive leading up to 1995, though, it was quite a no-brainer in hindsight, I'm sure.
PS2 wasn't really that good of a DVD player, either, early models could only play widescreen discs in a smaller letterbox. Xbox required a remote control add-on to even play DVDs at all. Even as a format, I only remember a handful of games that used both layers of the disc. Also, I thought optical discs were cheaper. If the jock rock soundtrack and FMV cutscenes need to stay, can't you just use two Gamecube discs?
Well, I'd like to see those on Nintendo devices someday, but I like seeing the money that would otherwise be used for courting Valve and Blizzard put to use developing their first party games.

That shouldn't be necessary, though, and it isn't necessary if you just have consoles and keep your eyes peeled for what leftovers make it to GOG.

Oh totally, but it was a pretty solid deal, getting a DVD player built into your game console for that price.
Oh yeah, the Xbox's DVD player was a total fucking mess. I prefer Nintendo not trying at all than fucking up as hard as Xbox did. Apparently trying to use a DVD without the remote ended up bricking some peoples systems.

Oh yes very hard to see a smaller storage medium would create problems. What game dev wouldn't want to have to sell their game on multiple disks/cartridge or significantly change there game. It would have mattered as much if their storage medium was different if it was the same size or bigger.

It's a $20 hard drive to encrypt. May not be necessary like antivirus, but its cheap and easy security measure.

You guys are missing the big picture. Smartphone companies are already on the verge of completing a long distance wireless charger for home use. Think about that for a moment before typing your next shillposts.

You're getting something like a 30% loss on that type on charger. Do you know how much power you'd need to charge long distance?

Because the 3DS still makes money.

wouldn't there being more electrical charges in the air mean that the body may react

It's already a loss when playing a switch when smartphones are not only going to be stronger, but more popular with the kids since every single one of those shitstains will at least have one. If it has the ability to act as a phone then the competition will be close. You have to come back to reality.

dont tell anyone

No, it's just like a radio or cell signal, electromagnetic radiation. You can actually charge a battery with radio signals. It will just take awhile.

You know, unless the battery happens to discharge at a faster rate at rest than the power received from radiant electrical induction

True, also the closer you are to the tower the better.

You getting behind the times, ancient one. Every single one of those Samsung hand grenades are bundled with one already.

He was talking about charger from a radio signal. Those need a charging pad.

I understand that, but that's a low frequency, I know that high level radiation ain't good and Samsung, who IIRC are one of the front runners in trying to push that tech, aren't know for Safe electricals

source or fuck off, there is no way in hell they beat genwun

I don't get the first one

All consoles are overpriced.

It's Tank Troopers, it's a 3DS download title that already been released in Japan.

No they're not
See: vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon

The portability is a joke, it's only as much as a tablet is, but doesn't have the battery life of one and probably won't have the same general purpose uses even if it's based on Android. For me, portable is served by a 3DS and Vita, luggable is served by my Chinkpad. The only reason I'd get a Switch is if it has decent backwards-compatibility and hacks. Otherwise I'll just go for a much cheaper Wii U to replace my Wii.

They're not anywhere near high enough frequencies to be dangerous. Wireless charging tends to in the KHz range. You don't get to ionizing radiation until PHz.

I think he got that confused with "most preordered" which is what they actually are.

*most preordered in Nintendo's history. Fuck I am too tired to be awake right now.