Monhun Clones/Hunting Games thread

Monhun Clones/Hunting Games thread

Lately i've been a bit bored of Monster Hunter Generations since it just seems to be a less enjoyable game as MH4U on the whole. So i've finally delved into the 'clone' series that imitate it. Expecting Lords of the fallen style trash rip offs with no good original ideas. Theres a few titles like Soul Sacrifice, Toukieden and the like with small but dedicated fanbases but my biggest surprise so far has been buying the PS4 release of God Eater 2: Rage Burst that came with God Eater Ressurection as a digital download.

So far of the clones i've played its hands down the best. Its still unashamedly Monster Hunter. But its near future sci-fi apocalyptic setting more like Shin Megami Tensei - digital devil saga and elements more like Lost Planet 2, MGS Peace Walker and so on it feels like it is to Bloodborne what Monster Hunter is to Demon's Souls. Its a smaller scope game thats very similar but also faster e.g dashing in stead of rolls and so on.

The story is a bit anime cliche but interesting and the girls are cute as fug. Love both the games and it would be great to see a third since i love monster hunter but this sci-fi setting is great too. Personally i really recommend it myself though i hear the pc version is region locked for some reason.

Soul Sacrifice is kind of hit and miss, cool idea but vita means death for a userbase and Toukiden 2 comes out soon on PS4 so i'll be trying that as well.
Theres still some i havent tried like Final Fantasy Explorers because i hear its kind of trash, but what hunting games besides Monster Hunter do you enjoy?

after all the best times i have had playing vidya with Holla Forums has been monhun, it would be a shame not to try the others as well.

The best MonHun clone I've played is Freedom Wars. A better story than the shit God Eater says is a story and better gameplay overall. The usefulness of not having your weapon be one weapon that can transform into two + shield is great plus it gives a verticallity that MonHun and all the other clones lack by giving the player a whip ability that lets you hang on the sides of buildings or get into high places while providing cover fire if you focus on Sniping. That is the other part that I enjoy more is that you have a better squad system in Freedom Wars than you have in God Eater, imo. The problem with all of these clones and even the game they're taking from is that it gets boring farming for the same drops all the time to upgrade your weapons. The setting is similar to God Eater, but better in the fact that they're using prisoners in order to defend their territories from the foreign menace as well as keeping up feuds with other prisons and territories.

I think random weather would be a good way to mix up the maps they reuse in these games. Maybe like Left 4 Dead 2's hard rain second half where the level floods and water slows everything but now higher roofs and platforms are the dry land.

Toukiden: Kiwami is worth trying to see if you like it. It's a heavily streamlined MonHun with a few good ideas, but it's in this weird limbo where it tries to be different but still really close to MonHun. It has AI teammates, and it's limb removal mechanic is cool, but aside from that it's a little boring. Best thing about the game is the Rifle, and I wish MonHun had a weapon that worked like that.
Freedom Wars is good too. Fighting big enemies feels nice, and the story mode has plenty of humor to go with the unsettling theme. Only downside I can think of is that the PvP is a little annoying to get used to.

Considering how Capcom doesn't like making MonHun look better than a PS2 game, and their love for recycling old monsters and shitty hitboxes, there's a place in the market for a good MonHun clone. So far I haven't found anything that fits that role.

Have you tried god eaters recent ps4/pc release? its got no major mechanical issues i can name bar some bullshit auto tracking projectile attacks from some enemies. So far though im 30+ hours into the first and really loving a sci-fi monhun style game.

The ai in resurrection is shit. I always have trouble splitting monsters compared to the psp version.
I'm stuck on the last boss and haven't been bothered to go and kick its shit in. I'll have to check out freedom wars.

Thought about it but my PC sucks and I don't have a PS4. Are the Vita ports of 1 and 2 any good?

I havent noticed, but i am coming off monhun generations and all the old shit blagonga and buldrome should have been left forgotten in design terms.

pc, vita and ps4 are all the same HD rebuild of the psp games. identical bar the pc version having region lock.

The problem with stuff resurrected for gens is that they just straight up ported them from FU and maybe added one new, more annoying, move. Compare that with say hermitaur in 4U, which practically plays like a totally new monster. It really exemplifies that the design philosphy for gens did not include making a fun or enjoyable experience for the player.

Didn't help shit they added in 4U that are genuinely interesting and fun like Nerscylla are straight up removed.

I've been playing it it's good but It's got a long way to go untill it's on par with MonHun it's balancing really needs some attention.
I can't use anything but the short blade once you get used to dodge cancelling everything else just feels slow and clunky.

fuck you, buster for lyfe.

Glad to see I'm not the only one, I dropped generations pretty damn early. only finished offline stuff, I may give it another go when G rank comes out.

Toukiden feels like if Monster Hunter was made to be an arcade game imo; You get to the action a lot faster with items not being a thing and armor sets not being as restrictive to certain weapons. Never really found the game boring, it's just the way you get non-monster materials can get real bullshit if you need rare stuff. I also like the Mitama system more than the armor skill system in MonHon

Okay so i want to play the PSP games in order of release and i have already installed this one on my PSP. Any tips? Should i skip 2 afterwards and jump straight to Unite?

I like longsword/scythe the combo with a packdash and predatory combos makes it feel like the bloodborne to monhuns demons souls.

Uninstall that and install unite, then install P3rd, unite has all the content on the previous games already

Just play Unite.

I can't be the only one who got tired of the basic mechanics of running around in circles since the first monhun.

This one thing I just can't see them adding without completely redesigning the game.
The genre needs some totally new ideas.
Why does it always have to be people with oversized weapons?
Why not something completely different like modifiable mechas and a mounted combat system with a focus on drifting.
Getting upgrades that change the handling/speed and so on would make upgrading a lot more interesting too.

Honestly theres a bit in Titanfall 2 where you are in a mech and huge dragon things show up and thinking of wall running and calling in mechs and such was something i would love in a lost planet 2 style hunting game.

If only capcom had a clue. Ditch the gay story and make it about hunting the akrid. In fact you could be teamed up with a biologist who want to study them, namely their corpses. And an occasional capture. I could go on and on about this.

hopes: deleted.

play ps2 monhun or play unite. Freedom 1 brings all the tedium of ps2 without the charm and all the grind of unite without the convenience

There's no grand story in these games, so feel free to just skip to Unite/Portable 3rd. Unless you're interested in seeing how things changed overtime in the series.

I actually liked Kiwami. The rifle was something I used often and when I got tired of shooting things, I ended up punching monsters in the face with giant gauntlets. Sadly, I think that's the only mon hun clone that has fist weapons.

I was thinking more like an actual car game.
Would be cool to have fights similar to the Majora's Mask's Goron boss, driving around a vast open world full with bumps and ramps to reach high weak points and chasing fleeing monsters through forests, like in the endor speeder bike scene.
The game would probably look more like some ridiculous motocross event.

Okay, thanks. Guess i'll just play Unite.

I swear i played something like this on the PS2.

Maybe Jak 3?
The closest one I can think of.

No it was some budget japanese title that came in the wave of shit like michigan, onichambara and zombies vs ambulance tier trash.

I played Delta and found it a really cool game, but overall the gameplay loop didn't hook me like in, say, monhun. I wasn't really sure what I should be building towards and I wasn't returning to the game after a while.

A little closer to the standard monhun loop, but again there's about playing the game I just don't love. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's also missing the originality and character of monhun, with Omega Force going for their prolific anime samurai look straight out of Dynasty Warriors.
I would be really tempted to try out the sequel, all things said. Not sure what to get it on, but it's the sort game I'd enjoy more on a vita. unless the playerbase is ded

Very mediocre, even as a monhun fan playing with friends. Maybe if you have a boner for Final Fantasy references, but there are better games out there.