Any games similar to mount and blade, but not mount and blade? i.e., action games where you control a single character...

Any games similar to mount and blade, but not mount and blade? i.e., action games where you control a single character, with the ability to collect troops and capture castles/settlements to build a state?

Bump because I want to know more about this too.

Also, OP. Check out Bladestorm. It's a musou game like Dynasty Warriors but works in a very different way (despite being made by the same devs)
You make a mercenary that takes up arms with soldier squads, changing your equipment depending on what squad you are using.
You can switch squads during a battle if you can find a new one or brought a few spare ones.
Only problem is that you only ever control one yourself unless you get other mercenaries (up to 3), each with their own squad to follow you as well.

You go around taking missions either for the French of the English (if you're smart, you alternate) and you're given a set time to complete them, being allowed to participate in whathever battle there's happening in the world in the meanwhile.
It's pretty great if a bit boring sometimes and not as flashy as regular musou games. Just wish there was a bit more tactic to it and more squads to control at the same time.

There's also Kingdom Under Fire 1&2 that's pretty much an RTS in third person where you control a leader in normal combat but you can switch to a tactical map and give orders to every other squad in your army.

It's horrible. One of the worst games I've played in years and than some. Not that I can particularly blame you as the only games that come to my mind as vaguely related are Sword of the Samurai, Wars and Warriors, Conqueror 1086 and Age of Pirates. Well those and a couple of sci-fi and mostly shitty indie games.

Also that chink Tiger Knight rice field I guess.

Mount & Blade Star Wars mod

Fucking cockroaches. We wouldn't be having this discussion if they had launched the beta already.

the chinese clone - tiger knight: empire war
although i think it's multiplayer only

Fallen Lords.

Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires might have what you're looking for. It might not have the depth or realism of M&B, though.

I'd be wary of Bladestorm: Nightmare. They made it easier to level up and as you play you quickly and unavoidably overlevel everything. The game wasn't that hard anyway but nightmare overlevels you to the point that the basic counters don't mean shit as you one shot units that should destroy you.

Brutal Legend :^)

An interesting addition is that you can marry someone and have kids with them in game, and they'll randomly generate the children, who then grow up and join you as officers.

Might as well not have bothered with that shit.

And they all inevitably look ugly as shit.

OP, if there was a game like Mountain Blade, the game wouldn't be half as popular as it is. To be completely honest, there are no aspects of that game that aren't done better by another game. It's just the only one that puts everything together in a focused and cohesive way. I would give so much money to have a Mountain Blade clone that does everything well.

Bonerlord is shaping up to be pretty great. Mods should make it even better.

I'm not entirely convinced that game even exists

Give an example of the kind of combat M&B features that was done better in another game?

The rest of the gameplay is pretty unpolished and done better by other titles, but hopefully the modular approach to modding Bannerlord will usher will allow the community to fix and expand upon it.

It exists, TW just fucked up by announcing it too soon.

Well they are chinks

I've been told Caribbean! is M&B with pirates. Can't confirm tho.

It is and it's shit

It uses the same engine.

Its a fine game for one time.

Only pirate - dont feed shitface greed

Tiger Knight: Empire war. Chinese Free to play game on steam that's like a mix of warband, dynasty warriors, and war thunder. It's not really my cup of tea, but it's free and not p2w so it's worth a try.