The Last Guardian > Shadow of the Colossus > Ico

The Last Guardian > Shadow of the Colossus > Ico

all 3 games are great and they improved on it each time

Other urls found in this thread:

thegamercat.com/comic/the-last-butt/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What did you like about it? The silky smooth 10fps? The scripted action sequences where you don't even have to do anything? The button prompts that take up 25% of the screen and can't be turned off and never go away? The almost non-functional AI? The nonsensical controls that aren't even good for anything?

All of the above :^)
No but seriously, how anyone can think Last Guardian is anything but a severely downgraded rehash of Ico is beyond me.

Shadow of the Colossus > Ico > dogshit >>>>>>>>>> The Last Guardian

Are you the same dingus who posts in every Dark Souls thread in the same manner? How many times I need to tell you that there is no need to spam those greater than signs, you mentally deficient, mouth breathing, knuckle dragging faggot.

Spamming the > is a pretty common thing, people have been doing it for years, but throwing a fit over it is new, I've already seen you do it in two threads today

Doesn't make it any less retarded, mate.

No, but it does mean it isn't just one guy and you can stop trying to call him out in every thread because it makes you look like a jackass

SotC was great but with a delay that long in dev hell there was no way TLG was going to be anything worthwhile.

Are you trying to get more people to spite you? Because that is all you will accomplish here.

Improved on "it"? Aren't they all different games?

Oh yeah, the artsy shit "games".

The last guardian is probably great. Holla Forums is usually very wrong about these things, their tastes usually center around games-they-can-pirate-now and old-mediocre-pc-games.

Hi reddit!

Maybe the predictable ending where the flute-dog dies.

nice quads

Sounds like 2 out of 3 of their games

the story was good, tho the ending is predictable.

As for the cons…
graphics are PS3 tier
tons of framerate issues
controls got worse from SotC (theres no grab button, its "auto grab" now and it works worse than youd think)
you "control" the animal by barking commands at it, but it rarely listens "cause realism!", but that excuse should only be acceptable for the first 10 min, not the entire game
really great and fluid animations, ruined by lots and lots of awkward clipping and hit detection of objects. carrying stuff bigger than a ball usually results in the object clipping through your head and even hands.

I say this as a Sony-biased Idort who 100%'d SotC on PS2 and PS3 HD collection.

Sounds like truth

we will only know the Holla Forums consensus when they upgrade their AMD cpus so pcsx2 can run it for them. Hey, Ryzen is out soon, so it'll only be 2 years when they can afford the upgrade.

graphics don't matter, but it still looks better than any pc game
drops to 24, 25 fps in a few scenes isn't "tons of issues."
it does change over time, that's the entire point. I know you haven't played it, but at least read reviews or watch videos from people who have?
dang you must know a lot as someone who is totally virtue signaling how you should be biased or something.

tagged the wrong post, bud. try again.

The game was really good, though with a slew of issues. Definitely one of the best story/experience games we've ever received, and probably top 10 for this generation.
I wouldn't put it above SotC, but definitely up there. I haven't played Ico, so I can't really compare that…

shit what will i do now, please forgive me, I didn't mean to make you lost in this thread where I quoted your text and replied to it easily and conveniently and forgot to tag you. sorry, your cred will be acknowledged next time.

I still have no idea what you do in the Last Guardian

Stare at buttholes
thegamercat.com/comic/the-last-butt/

So it's good that I stay away then?

It's Ico where instead of the stick or sword you occasionally get a little flashlight that makes Yorda shoot a laser at things and sometimes you have to hop on Yorda's back and point in a direction and see if her AI can figure out what to do.

From everything I seen, if I didn't know about it I would have the impression it was a crappy CGI short I'm not too far off

the person you were replying to > acceptable users of imageboards >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (you)

This nigger.

They are entirely different games that have thematic similarities and The Last Guardian is quite clearly the worst of them.

I commend that they stuck with the simplicity of the first 2 games, but The Last Guardian goes overboard with it. This is down to the simple design decision of reversing the character relationship in Ico. In Ico you're delegated to protect Yorda, in TLG you're delegated to be protected by Trico. Sure, you have to care for Trico by feeding him and caring to his wounds, but that doesn't change the fact that the actor roles are reversed.

In Ico you have to jump over a cliff and catch Yordas hand while she tries to make the same jump after you. In TLG you simply hang onto Trico and he does all the work for you. This wouldn't be so bad, if you'd actually have haptic communictaion with the damned thing. The fact that you cling onto Trico automatically is what ultimately kills the game in my eyes and makes it a bad sequel for the Team Ico trilogy.

In Ico, holding the R1 button is an important part of the game. Catching her requires continued holding of R1 and while simple, it does pull you into the game. Her safety depends on you holding that 1 fucking button. It's easy and simplistic, but it works to reinforce the connection between Ico and her.

In SotC success depends on your deliberate use of the R1 button. Clinging onto Colossi is done via holding R1 again, and a carfeul approach to balancing your footing and stamina is necessary to win the game. The use of R1 isn't as much of a symbolic represantation as it is in Ico, but it gives you the feeling of 'clinging' onto the behemoths with your own hands.

In TLG that connection is entirely severed. Instead of combining elements of SotC and Ico (so basically swapping Trico for Yorda and implementing the stamina bar from SotC) they removed both and take your control away entirely as soon as you touch the fucking fur. This basically makes movement around the environment that isn't on foot entirely cutscene based. While you can still crawl along Trico via stick movement there is more than one moment were you absolutely loose control and the boy remains fixed in position.

This is an insane diconnect that cannot be re-established by simply petting or feeding Trico via environmental puzzles. It's not the clunkiness of the controls, it's not about the hassle of getting of that beast without cling onto it 5cm further down, it's not about the ending being predictable or slightly underwhelming and it's not about the piss poor performance. No, I believe that the removal of the R1 holding mechanic, as simple as it fucking is, fucked the game over. Hard. It ultimately turns the game from a relationship based story into a piece of animal observation. Tricos animation unironically impressed me to the point that I enjoyed seeing it wander around for an hour or two. That shit wears off though and it only irritated me the more I played.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the game though. Art and sound direction is top notch and even though I went into the game cynically, I teared up a little bit near the end.

One of my favorite moments of Ico is the role reversal. You're standing on a bridge that's starting to move awayfrom it's connection. Yorda isn't able to follow so you have no choice but to jump and get caught by her. While the mechanics of holding R1 remain unchanged, this simple reversal of saviour vs saved left an impression on me and lingers on my mind as a perfect fusion of game design and story.

Surprisingly TLG has one of those moments as well. It's established early on that Trico fears coloured windows, so it's your job to smahs them to pieces. In a later part of the game you have to break 2 of these. After breaking the first one you're basically ambushed and dizzied by an enemy (the way they pull this scene off is a bit wonky, but it stood out to me). They pick you up and are taking you away while Trico stands on the other side, unable to help. It's in this moment, that the beast overcomes it's own fear and clearly shows the bond you developed to be of considerable strength. He jumps over the cliff smashes the window on his own and goes wild on the enemies. It's a re-run of the Ico situation, the saviour becoming the saved. It's this moment that wrestles complete control away from you, that encapsulates my problem with the game.

If you're absolutely in love with Ico and SotC you will definitely get some enjoyment out of TLG. But while it gets the tone right, it simply fails on a game design level that the former 2 nailed.

Three of the five commands you can give it are literally useless and it never begins to obey your commands more readily. It's not some complex interaction, the AI is just plain retarded

So is Team Ico because apparently nobody realized the pointing commands should use and over-the-shoulder camera instead of just making the boy point in a 2D plane. Wouldn't even require more work since aiming the mirror works the exact same way

>>>/oven/

Here is a symbol. Pls decipher the symbol and go to the place it actually belongs to.

Will you know good video games when the 3 minute brain is invented and installed into your cranium?

Dubs thread is a go.

I was not expecting that

wew

I think I get the problem here. In SotC, when you ride the horse, you don't control the horse so much as you control someone controlling a horse. This is mostly fine because you have some agency and it's not the main gameplay. In TLG, you're not controlling Trico so much as you are controlling someone who is attempting to work with a stupid animal that follows your directions sometimes and other times just doesn't because it's a stupid animal.

Shocking to find OP has shit taste in games.

Big ugly thing is actually a man-eating monster and barrels you feed to it contain foreverially deletized humans that were eaten and pooped out by its brethren