Did they fix all the expansions yet? I've heard the expansions really sucked or were very buggy, can't remember...

Did they fix all the expansions yet? I've heard the expansions really sucked or were very buggy, can't remember. It was some time ago.

AOE/AOM thread.

Isn't this game where the We Wuz Kangz meme started?

Nope. It was a video. But since we're on the subject, is the WE WUZ expansion any good?

It introduced wheeled towers that let units climb over walls

So not a lot. But it is mostly bug free and free of propaganda, right?

It's even an insult to the mesoamericans.

Northern Africa actually did have some real nations, sub-Saharan Africa is where they never advanced beyond spear-chucking tribes of dindus.
But then, they didn't do anything on the world stage that warrants more than a footnote about trading partners, so the question can be asked.
I say that the malians, ethiopians and berbers interacted with the western world enough to show up if they included aztecs and the maya, and it's certainly preferable to the fucking zulu.
Seriously, fuck the zulu.

Nothing that could reach castle age or gunpowder use.

These "expansions" are just decent mods aren't they?

I was playing through ao2 and tried the forgotten and there's no voice acting or intro stories, it just seems like the old aoe1 scenario mods people would make.

Mali had an empire (although this was helped with the Arabs), Ethiopia is the only African civilization on its own and the only one with interesting history, Berbers have had civilization since at least the Romans and are white, North Africa was an extension of Europe before it was an extension of Arabia.

And everyone forgets about Carthage. Though the Romans certainly did a number on that place.

Just mods yeah, but I just remember lots of anons complaining about bugs. Back then I figured I should wait until they fix it, and the time has come. I'm wondering if they did fix most of the bugs with the expansions. Same with AOM HD since I think that was kind of broken too at launch.

I need to try the Rise of the Rajas expansion. Looks like it has what would be Indonesia too. Underrated area, historically. I mean, fuckin war elephants.

I'm just glad that my favorite RTS from my childhood is not just alive again but thriving. Yes that kangs stuff is funny but they added a bunch of really cool stuff too like the magyars (proto-hungarians) with their awesome hussars and the slavs with thier heavy cavalry. Not to mention rebalance and new techs like arrow slits.

I'd really love it if they added some ancient civs like romans, gauls, greeks maybe egyptians.

Romans already kind of exist,play the Alariccampaign,they even have unique units like legionaires and centurions and shit. Its only AI but you can convert the legoswith a priest,they are teutonic knight tier of broken.

it's fun, but i wouldn't pay for it
try to pirate the game, i know there was a version of it with the forgotten that ran a fuckload better than the steam one

but they're the only ones that are actually interesting when it comes to military
even though they'd only have 1 unit that's a spearchucker

The expansions are shit. Besides the bugs, the game just fucks up the balance and introduces tons of shitty civs that were unneeded. There is only so many civs you can have before you can't balance them all, and they start to lose their individuality.

Also pic

i liked the slavs and magyars, ethioians were interesting
they really fucked up the balance though, i don't get how they expect anyone to want to play saracens with all their nerfs and lack of anything useful other than monks

It's where the meme pic comes from

That was all in the original Age of Empires.

I actually found the African KANGZdom fairly neat, though (or perhaps because) some of the missions are fairly challenging.

>

I ended up winning the mission via maritime assault (even though the harbor section of the fortress also is dotted with those fucking sniper towers), but it was a fairly close call.

Not like the original AoC was balanced either.
Everyone played either Huns or on lesser case Mongols because other civs were shit when compared.

shieeet

I don't disagree with that. But they didn't make small tweaks to make a few civs less OP, they made many big changes to affect gameplay based on their opinion rather than off of a community consensus. For example, "people build walls too much, see we need to nerf walls".

I mean, the game is so old, players don't want big changes to a game they have been playing for over a decade. All they really needed to do was stuff like slightly nerfing Huns, and slightly buffing longswordsmen. The game now is just a gimmick with shitty new factions, shitty new balance, shitty new maps, that only new Steam players actually play.

And it should have stayed there. The Hun campaign was out of place in a game focused on Crusades and conquistadors.

The Conquererors was completely wonky in the first place, imho. The Meso-American cultures just didn't feel right, not to the least because they, one the one hand got "ethnic" units like eagle warriors, but on the other still ran around with armored longswordsmen and crossbowmen.

WE

Fanpatches that tweak minor things like this do exist. Sometimes people play tournaments with them.

Meso civs are too strong as well. Aztec is incredible in 1v1 and Maya is just generally very powerful.

WUZ

Do people still play this game online? I fucking loved this shit as a kid and i would enjoy playing it online.

But you can play as romans.

Does the last expansion have a GOG release?

i think the larger communities are on steam and on voobly

Voobly being for Conquerors.

you can play the forgotten on voobly, can't you?

I do think so.