Will the Nintendo Switch fail? How many units do you predict it will sell in its lifetime?

Will the Nintendo Switch fail? How many units do you predict it will sell in its lifetime?

Other urls found in this thread:

nintendolife.com/news/2016/04/research_firm_reckons_nintendos_spent_nearly_usd527_million_on_research_and_development_this_fiscal_year
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

meems

It won't fall once a Pokemon game and Monster Hunter release on it. Those alone will make it live.

Plus once the 3DS and Vita die in japan, the switch will be the only handheld on the market. So all the handheld devs in japan will end up making games for it.

Yes, the main failure of the Wii U was a lack of hardware that 3rd party devs could make games for.

Ever wonder why Nintendo revs up the sweat shops and always pushs a Zelda or Mario game? Look up their interaction with Sony during the N64 era and you'll see why.

The biggest reason why the Switch will sell well during the first two weeks but fail in the long run is the Wii U, which is what the Switch is, followed the same pattern.

35 million
75 million
For comparison, I expect PS4 sales to top out at about 80 million give or take. I expect the 3DS to top out at 80 million as well. If the WiiU is any success I cannot see it ever succeeding 80 million in lifetime sales. That seems to be a thing that just doesn't happen anymore

Isn't there already 2 million pre-orders on the Switch? Its beating the WiiU in first two-week sales already and its not even out yet

"Long run" and "pattern" is the key concepts in that sentence user.

20 Million

I suppose it depends on your definition of failure. Nintendo would have to fuck up pretty fucking bad for the Switch to sell less than the WiiU, so catastrophically bad I don't think they could pull off such a failure if they tried They'll find a way though I'm sure
I've always wondered what the break-even point of these consoles are. Like, how much R&D was invested in the Switch? That would be a good way to gauge how successful it is. I'd consider even a modest 40 million a success at this point

Oh boy yet ANOTHER fucking switch thread I can't wait to see what sage discussion will occur here

Switch threads should be limited to one general. This is getting fucking idiotic

A failure is selling below the breaking point and not being break even or profitable. So the Switch will "succeed" but will fail in the eyes of gamers. Nintendo can't keep selling their consoles on Zelda, Mario and their other 1st party IP's. Nintendo Japan is the real problem, if Nintendo America ran things then Nintendo would have better relations with 3rd party devs. The problem is that Nintendo is making their consoles for a Japanese market and not an American one.

Define "fail". But the average consumer and nintendo fan doesn't look too happy or excited for it. It's a neat idea but you can essentially accomplish the same if not more with other gaming devices. Even the PS4 can do what it does so long as you pair it with Vita and the Vita looks magnitudes better with ergos than what the switch is offering.

Vidya is vidya

Are Switch breads your kryptonite?

Go away Nintendo

i see what you did there.

Yes.
10 million.

Switch will outsell the Wii U at a minimum

it seems over the years video games have become more autistic than ever before. Hype for shit is at an all time high, especially nostalgia related and EVEN MORE ESPECIALLY for fake nostalgia, which is young children in their teens being told how awesome nintendo was in the pixel days. Those kids eat that shit up and will use daddy's money to buy any stupid piece of shit that has autism lord Zelda brand on it )i just hope he doesnt talk and he carries his sword in the CORRECT hand this time mirite LOL)

It'll at least sell more than the Wii U did, because it already looks to have a better software lineup. And it'll sell less than the Wii did (No way it'll reach Wii sales at a $300 price point). Maybe similar sales numbers to 3DS??? Or somewhat less than 3DS sales due to high price point?

But those 'good sales' could easily turn sour or be cut short over BS like paid online.
And Wii U owners will likely hold a grudge for how they're getting treated.

pretty much, even a rerelease of sun and moon on the thing will make it a million seller.

the last thing nintendo needs is the america branch leading the way.

But when you start considering Nintendo's mobile and home-console efforts are all going to be poured into Switch, it seems likely Switch sales will succeed even 3DS sales, which would put it in a very nice position as a modern game console.

Lets figure this out
According to;
nintendolife.com/news/2016/04/research_firm_reckons_nintendos_spent_nearly_usd527_million_on_research_and_development_this_fiscal_year
Nintendo spent an estimated 530 million dollars on R&D the past fiscal year. Since the Switch is really the only new product Nintendo announced recently, we can only assume a big chunk of that R&D budget is towards the Switch

Now, the Switch will cost about 300 USD. If we then subtract the costs required to actually ship and manufacture the damn thing, we'll estimate the actually money being used to recoup the R&D at 100 dollars a unit

That means it would need to about 5.3 millon units to break even their R&D spent on it. It would need to sell over 10 million for the costs to make sense

We also should include SG&A expenses but I wouldn't know those

It's gonna have Pokemon. That alone means it can't sell worse than the WiiU. I'd say it sells 30 million over it's life.

Looks like you're new. There used to be a million threads when the Xbone and PS4 were announced and released, and they came out at the same time. Board was fucking cancerous console wars.
20 Switch threads is nothing, newfag.

Oh, should add to the thread instead of funpost.

Switch will sell fairly well, but nothing sstounding for 2017/18.
As soon as the price drops to $250US, which will be about 2018, and the 3DS is discontinued/on life support, Monstur Hunstaru and Pokayman will be announced eiher at E3 or right before the price drop.

Japan will swarm it as they love handhelds and those two franchises, then the west will pick it up for the 1st party games, and lie to themselves that theyll actually take it itside.

Calling 15-20mil by end of 2018, then a shitton more once it replaces the 3DS. Maybe 60-80 by EOL.

Personally I think it'll do well. How well exactly? I'm not sure.
I hope it does great and all other consoles follow the general hybrid concept. If they don't become full on PC services that is.

So the switch is either Nintendo ending its console line or ending its handheld line while pretending they still have both.

How exactly do you figure?
The hardware is different. The architecture is different. The concept is different.
I'm really not seeing that.

Was that actually confirmed?

Gamestop apparently leaked it.

dog

I'm placing my bets that within 5 years (the standard life of a console) it will sell at least as much as the gamecube and at most as much as the Nintendo 64. The 3DS will likely continue to compliment it.

The Wii U failed for a variety of reasons that don't necessarily affect the Switch (yet). The chief problem was the poor marketing on Nintendo of America's end, but NoA seems to be doing a much better job right now, probably cause NoJ was pissed and gave Reggie a scolding for fucking up.

The issue isn't really third parties. The N64 was a relative success despite a lack of third party support and the SNES had less third party support than the Genesis and yet did considerably better in the market place with the 1st & 3rd party support it had. Power is not really an issue because with consoles, it's really all about software and marketing. The 3DS does much better than the Vita despite the Vita being the more powerful machine because of its cost and its game library.

If the Switch is lucky, it will have a similar more high-end form of the 3DS library: good quality first party titles and a slew of games by mostly Japanese third parties that appeal to a diverse range of tastes. The Wii U was lacking in third party support all around and the marketing team in America had no clue how to sell the console to Western third parties, let alone consumers. Which is a shame, because the Wii U I think did have potential and more good games than people give it credit for (hopefully, it's replacing the Wii as the Homebrew console of choice once the price drops enough will make people see it in a different light). Japanese third parties however seem to be all over the Switch ready to give it plenty of animu geimu, which is a good sign, and even some Western third parties Nintendo doesn't work with normally like Bethesda at the very least see it as a good system for porting some of their older titles and marketing them to a crowd of gamers who may have missed out on them or who have them and are interested in new portable editions, which may pad out the Switch library. I would buy a portable version of Demon Souls and Resident Evil 6.

Nintendofags said the same thing about the WiiU.
Nintendo said the Switch isn't replacing the DS line. I bet they release a new one a year after the Switch releases.

so ya talks has it you need a phone app to basically be a headset and other things for your online play

There wasn't a mainline Pokemon or a MH for the Wii U, hence it didnt sell.

Fucking morons, everyone of yiu dickheadsbthat say you need a smartphone.

It's just going to be a gimped Discord/TeamSpeak. Why would they advocate you buying a smsrtphone if you don't have one, or update to a newer supported model, if they don't get a single cent for it?

Okay I get Pokemon, but Monster Hunter?

There are only two types of people in the world who purchase wiiwoos or switcharoos:
obvious one, parents know the kid friendly nintendo brand and will purchase one for the sprogling
this group likes to have something with multiplayer games to play with their friends that they never want to see again but always invite back over to their house. In other words, they need mario kart, mario party and super smash.
it will be a moderate success

Let me help you out.
Nintendo

Well, assuming that Reggie's words aren't being taken too out of context or that he's a coherent English speaker, this is not out of the ordinary these days when you consider that even televisions are replacing remotes with smart phone apps. I'm not saying I approve of it, just saying that Nintendo is once again hopping on a bandwagon, not doing anything especially different in the current marketplace as far as this matter is concerned. And I don't think that Nintendo doing that will have much impact on Switch sales just cause the average person walking into Gamestop to buy one of these things is going to have a smart phone already.

Actually Nintendo does have an incentive to do that because they are now trying to break into the mobile gaming market and are collaborating with major cell phone providers like Apple and Android to release more mobile games in the future. Why would they not try to push their consumer base to upgrade to smart phones if they haven't already if it means they'll be able to sell them more stuff?

Not an argument

Too bad nintendo is retarded and didn't make a sun/moon port

Being a nintendo product, it'll do okay.
It won't be good, but it'll survive. Probably do better than most the other shit on the market.
I sure as hell won't buy it, though, if that helps.