People have complained that the Switch's launch lineup is weak

People have complained that the Switch's launch lineup is weak.

But what exactly are they relating that to? Every system at launched had a weak lineup due to the time gap between the start of development and the acquisition of developer tools, not to mention mantime split between development of games for older consoles and the newer consoles, along with general unfamiliarity with developing for a new console.

The only reason why the Switch has The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is that the grand majority of development was done while the game was slated as a Wii U title. Same thing with Twilight Princess back in 2006.

At best, every console had at least one or two good games at launch with a handful of unforgettable titles. This would be the standard for months until new game releases become routine. The formula extends back all the way to the 1980's.

Here are a few examples:

Nintendo 64 launch titles: Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. One was considered a masterpiece, the other was simply a curiosity.

Sega Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2. Soul Calibur was considered to be the hot title of the console, with Sonic Adventure sort of in second place. The other games released were shallow ports of arcade titles or forgettable titles.

Nintendo GameCube: Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, Star Wars: Rouge Leader: Rouge Squadron 2. Rouge Leader and Luigi's Mansion were the only two worth buying from the get-go, everything else was not all that worthy. Super Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin weren't released until the very next month.

Sony PlayStation 2: Silent Scope, Eternal Ring, X-Squad, Fantavision. The PS2 was notorious for having no games up until Fall 2001, which was a fact reflected by contemporary journalists who joked about the DVD playback function being the system's only saving grace for months.

So, to summarize, there has never been a console with a launch lineup full of absolute hits, and you have no right to be disappointed or to think you're entitled to such.

Other urls found in this thread:

please
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not okay when neo Nintendo does it.

I fucking hate consoles.

Good for you.

I liked them

back to reddit you underagecuck

People have short memories and are easily swayed by marketing.

I'm fucking 28, you fat piece of shit.

cause i don't think bomberman is worth getting a overpriced console for.
zelda looks pretty weak in comparison to other zelda game, the landscape alone looks empty as fuck

So was Wind Waker's but everyone loves that.

You need to understand that this board is full of Sonyggers and Microshits that actually spent money on their consoles instead of a PC

And so they are infinitely buttblasted because Nintendo are doing the one thing they have always done that will keep them in business, and not put their fucking games on PC.

Because Nintendo are leagues fucking smarter than Sony and Microsoft.

I was actually going to respond with a semi thoughtful and coherent post before I read
Go suck a dick and then go fuck off to somewhere else.

Listen here you little fucking troglodyte piece of shit. As a consumer I have every right to be fucking disappointed in something. People who buy consoles at launch and god forbid even preorder them aren't of concern to me because they're retarded enough to buy a console with no games to play on it after the first week. What bothers me is that these companies think they can shit out a console and not have anything to offer to me. If I'm buying a brand new fucking console for 300 dollerydoos then I fucking expect to have something to play for awhile until the next thing comes up not have a fucking paperweight to clog up my space. So fuck you OP. Keep sucking the cocks you're so fond of and check my numbers.

Usually they are releasing games for the old platform right up until the launch of the new one, and even have a few more left in the pipeline. This time they killed the Wii U over a year before the Switch, pushed the Switch back repeatedly, skipped E3, and made it look like they were going to launch with a huge lineup, and they ''still' barely launched with anything. You're probably right that the launch alone won't kill it, but man did they come up short and waste all the hype that they built.

trips of truth

Maybe people are just tired of franchise rehashes to the point it may as well not be a new game. A game promised ages ago is also not seen as a new game/

Trips of truth. In any competitive market, consumers are entitled as they deserve to be. Get over it OP.

Your trips eloquently expressed the anger that I was unable to convey. Thank you.

tl;dr?

So any retard thinking of spewing Nintendrone or Nintentoddler can see it.

nice.

tl;dr lol
Nearly identical version on Wii U. Not worth buying a Switch for
Shit casual party game with lame mini-games that can only be played with exactly two people
Fuck you
All the content of a 25+ year old game at full price
Fuck off to NeoGaf or wherever you came from

Well, it has Zelda
And arms could be surprisingly fun like Splatoon

I need a clap image.

Don't tell me you bought a Wii U just for Bayonetta or squid lolis.

Most of the hardcore blind rage towards Nintendo is from assblasted [Metroid/F-Zero/whatever underutilized IP] autists who feel like it's their job to shit on whatever they do, as if that would magically bring their favorite series back to life.

I'm not going to buy a Switch because of paid online and the fact that it's probably going to end up with even less games than the Wii U but I'm not going to throw a fit and act like the new Mario and Zelda won't be at least decent. They'll at least be more enjoyable than the horde of uninspired shooters and interactive movies that'll inevitably dominate the library of the PS4.

How does it feel to suck corporate cock so much?

The ps2 for instance, while considered weak, had original games to offer. This is just ports from another console, shitty gimmick games, and the main selling game Zeldo isn't even console exclusive.

Go suck nintendo-senpai yellow cock fag

And I suppose you only play games developed by some two or three man indie studio made in a garage on either your PC or Ouya?

You play video games, you cater the goals of corporations. This is fact. Even if you pirate, you still market the game via word of mouth to people who will eventually put money down on it.

Get off your high horse.

Grow the fuck up, guy. You say that you expect to have something to play for awhile in exchange for a $300 investment, but can you recall exactly when you got that in the past? Can you name the one time you did? Because I'm doubtful that you would just come up and demand it as if it was your right to have unless you had something like you described in the past?

And don't get angry at company or product because it isn't catering to your super-specific needs and standards.

You act like things were so much better in the past when, in reality, it's been the same for decades.

WE ARE NUMBER ONE

what a load of horseshit. this console generation has been far worse in terms of content than the ones before it.

Assume this is true (which it isn't, look at the US SNES and Dreamcast launches); does everyone else doing a bad job excuse doing a bad job again? No, especially considering the PS4 isn't going to disappear into thin air.

Trips of truth. OP can go fuck himself with the entitled argument if it's too much for someone to actually get some good shit for a few hundred dollars.

There's another one of those journo/SJW buzz-terms.
God damn are you ever a fucking shill.
Go choke on a gallon of grade A Somali semen. They've been doubling down on fucking over their loyal fans and customers for the past several years. Nintendo isn't at the "zero expectation" line with the Switch. They are heavily in the negative, for reason entirely of their own fault. If they want to climb out of that they are going to have to above and beyond what is minimally expected. That's a fact. Paid online was bad misstep. It killed a lot of the hype for their entire presentation.

Launch lineups are becoming progressively weaker due to the creative stagnation of the console gaming industry across the board.

fuck you too, nig

Jeez, get a load of this faggot guys

You're entirely correct OP, which is precisely why people are shitting over the console - it's being hyped up and swallowed enne masse by iJustine or Cody/TravisTouchdown tier retards, and so Holla Forums exists to tear them down.

Buying a console at lauch is always a mistake, but it's a lesson seldom learned. Hence, the necessity of the internet hate machine.

OP, you should really go fuck yourself and your Skyrim Handheld.

We will never see a launch year for a system as Bad as the DS library.

Strange enough, I loved that game
Probably sunk hundreds hours into it
What the fuck was wrong with me

fuck off??

i wish you were dead

despite the switch launch being nothing interesting, what matters far more is the year ahead of it. There's maybe about 4 or 5 games in total that seem pretty interesting. Can't say the same about the PC.

Even the SNES lineup? Lets see.
Japan: Super Mario World, F-Zero
US: Super Mario World, F-Zero, Gradius III, SimCity, Pilotwings
Europe: Super Mario World, F-Zero, Super Tennis

The US had 3 classics that are highly regarded to this day, a good console port for its time of a computer classic, and one other. Other regions still got two classics at launch.

You're lower than a nigger in society. I hope you never get what you want.

I went out of my way to get this and i loved it. its p good

Shut the fuck up Cody. You boyfucking catamite

Dreamcast USA launch lineup:
AeroWings
AirForce Delta
Blue Stinger
CART Flag to Flag
Expendable
The House of the Dead 2
Hydro Thunder
Monaco Grand Prix
Mortal Kombat Gold
NFL 2K
NFL Blitz 2000
Pen Pen TriIcelon
Power Stone
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Sonic Adventure
Soulcalibur
TNN Motorsports Hardcore Heat
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
TrickStyle

PS2 USA launch lineup:
Armored Core 2
DOA2: Hardcore
Dynasty Warriors 2
ESPN International Track & Field
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
Eternal Ring
Evergrace
FantaVision
Gungriffon Blaze
Madden NFL 2001
Midnight Club: Street Racing
NHL 2001
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Q-Ball: Billiards Master
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
SSX
Street Fighter EX3
Summoner
Swing Away Golf
Tekken Tag Tournament
TimeSplitters
Unreal Tournament
Wild Wild Racing
X-Squad

Xbox USA launch lineup:

4x4 EVO 2
AirForce Delta Storm
Arctic Thunder
Cel Damage
Dark Summit
Dead or Alive 3
Fuzion Frenzy
Halo: Combat Evolved
Mad Dash Racing
Madden NFL 2002
NASCAR Heat 2002
NASCAR Thunder 2002
NFL Fever 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Project Gotham Racing
Shrek
Test Drive Off-Road Wide Open
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x
TransWorld Surf

Gamecube USA launch lineup:

All-Star Baseball 2002
Batman: Vengeance
Crazy Taxi
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Disney's Tarzan Untamed
Luigi's Mansion
Madden NFL 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Super Monkey Ball
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Wave Race: Blue Storm

Respectable digits with a respectable opinion to suit them. If throughout history there has never been a restaurant that served anything other than literal shit then that doesn't mean we are "entitled" for complaining that a new restaurant is opening that also serves shit. I'm not going to support that restaurant and would rather cook proper food at home until someone makes a restaurant that actually serves food instead of the shit we continuously get from consoles.

It's one of the most pathetic launches I've ever seen. Jesus you drones are fucking pathetic.

I think one of the big issues is that, we live in a very different age. The major consumer base for consoles is far more "hooked up". Our culture is just different.

I was a bit younger when the SNES and the playstation came out. I wasn't anticipating them at all. They just existed one day and I don't really know how long it was released before I ever got one (granted back then, my parents bought stuff like this for me). People just have different expectations these days.

There also is sort of another thing working, which is expectations. Look at the SNES. It was released 1991 for us. Some of the games which are remembered as absolute classics like LttP, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, came out in 92, 94, 95, and a launch title for the U.S.

We got one baller game coming out right now for the Switch (BotW). And…what else?

But worse than that, what are we anticipating? As far as I know, if I got a switch and BotW, that's all I'll be getting for the next 6 months. What kind of selection is that? More than that, look at the Wii U. Where are the great games? I can think of very few.

In this day and age, there is no real reason for Nintendo to have such a dry library. They should be cranking out games like nothing.

I hope they are at least paying you for your shilling. But not too much because it is piss poor.

Go play WoW then, I'm sure its great since "everyone" loves it

link me to you steam profile. I want to see what VN's you play and how many hours you've got in them.

I want to cum inside that girl

I still don't get why they don't just can the Wii U version of Zelda. I mean if they want to guarantee that the Switch doesn't end up with first week sales that make the Wii U look good, they'd have been better off ensuring that the only way you get to play the new shiny Zelda is if you fork out for the Switch as well.

A lot of Wii U owners are just going to pass on the Switch until later in the year, if they even bother buying the Switch after all after that disaster. And it sure feels like they haven't learned a god damned thing since the Wii U launch either.

PAID

Because we all know we lined up to buy the Dreamcast for TNT Motorsports Hardcore Heat, amiright?

Stop.

(checked)

Rage trips will end Nintendo, kek willling.

tbqh I'm not to miffed about a weak number of games on launch - it's not like I'm going to be buying more than a couple of games at a time each month anyways. What I am disappointed of in recent years with new consoles has been terrible launch windows and general release schedules for games. What I want to know is what I'll be getting a month down the line, or two months, three months, etc. The 8th generation of consoles was fucking horrible at this, trying to secure some shitty launch splooge (usually padded with rereleases, ports, etc) and then having fucking nothing months down the line.

The Switch's launch schedule this year seems to be a bit better, with about 1-2 bigger games coming out each season, but it's still a bit too dry for my tastes.

Well put.

Every console needs a system seller, and having one at launch is a good bit of help for early adopters, who would otherwise get the shaft.
The problem now is that there's practically never a game in the starting lineup good enough to justify being an early adopter of that console.
Hell, some consoles are lucky to even get one at this point, remember the bloodbornebox?

Also,
Damn right I'm entitled to not feel ripped off after buying shit.

Why

do

you

space

after

every

sentence

?

Go

back

to

>>>/reddit/

Well, zelda is going to sell systems, even though its on wii u.

grasping the straws, there was still a lot there.

I'm really hoping they just have everything on the Virtual Console ready at launch this time, and that it picks up my Wii U and 3DS games. I can stand using it as a portable SNES/GBA until more of the games I'm looking forward to (Octopath, Xenoblade 2) come out. And I'm hoping that more companies come forth before launch to announce their games - I like some of the games that are getting ported, but I don't just want ports. I want to know WTF FromSoft is up to, officially. I want to know if SquareEnix is actually going to dedicate some real resources to the console and if we'll get a proper fucking Crystal Chronicles game. I want more information, dammit. We dealt with a constant drip-feed for long enough.

But I hope they don't end up using the VC as a damn crutch again like they did last time, trying to use rererereleases of Virtual Console games as stopgaps between actual games. And FFS, the prices on all of the titles need to be, like, halved, unless the ROM requires extra work to translate or patch like Sin and Punishment did. And that's to say nothing of the "you can rent one ROM a month!" thing. I like that they're going to patch in online play for each of the games they add, but even then the service had better be like $1 a month for that to work.

Nintendrones are truly the worst

Idort here, I've wasted money on all the consoles, handhelds AND a good PC. The only reason I'm not spending that extra cash on my PC is because there's fucking nothing to play on the PC other than old console ports and indie shovelware.

Meanwhile my consoles have cost a fraction of the price, and offer pretty much the exact same library plus a ton of exclusives that will never, ever make it to PC.
There is literally nothing wrong with owning consoles, in fact I'd say having all three consoles and the two handhelds instead of a powerful PC is a smarter choice.

To be fair, OP didn't space after every sentence.

I really hate how Nintendo treats VC. They have such a huge back catalog of games at their fingertips yet they prefer to just give us a small sampling of it every week or so. Not to mention they also separate the catalogs between consoles rather than making a unified system. There's no reason for them withhold them so much other than to just manufacture an artificial scarcity and demand for the games.

That attitude really fucking shows in their new online service "incentives". As shit as paid online on consoles is, at the very least Sony and MS give a selection of games that, while limited and hand-picked, gives you some options, as well either letting you play them as long as you're subscribed or giving them for keeps respectively. What's Nintendo's equivalent deal? One NES or SNES game to they choose to put up, and it goes away when the month is up. What the fuck were they thinking?

Speaking of VC, does hacking a 3DS allow me to play DSiWare games? cuz I can't remember if I can even get them on 3DS.

Cut a couple mediocre titles from the Dreamcast's lineup and you still have a half dozen solid titles with a few "they'll do for now" titles mixed in.

Cut a couple mediocre titles from the Switch's lineup and you don't even have a lineup left.

Yeah, most dsi games suck though. The Dragon Quest one and the PopCap ports are decent.

Mostly so I can put all the Shantae games on a 3DS, not sure how the VC games run, specially the very first game.

I forgot about Shantae 2 existing.

The GBA one? me too.

pictobits(and the art style series in general) is pretty good

This is why gaming is dead. Retards only buy form AAA companies now, which shovel out shit because they basically have a monopoly over certain audiences.

Never claimed they all were, only that the US launch had three games that ages well. SMW, F-Zero, and Gradius III specifically are still worth playing. Should have been obvious I wasn't talking about fucking Pilotwings when I claimed there were 3 great games and listed 5 total.

Maybe you don't like Gradius III, but that is still a strong launch. All regions got SMW and F-Zero.

Wiiu exclusives at launch:
-Nano Assault Neo
-New Super Mario Bros. U
-NintendoLand
-Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
-ZombieU ( It originally was exclusive)

please use archive.ism/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games_(US)

Same here. When I saw a game, that is what I was interested in. I didn't keep track of it or wait for discounts. However, others would keep track of it through magazine releases.

new bomberman game is already enough to make me happy, the new zelda game is just gravy.

Yeah. That's why I really hope they drop the habit with the Switch. Just give us the full back catalog immediately for every console you have supported and pick up our purchases from the Wii U and 3DS so I can carry around a portable SNES Classic. That's almost what I would treat my 3DS as except that they've not released Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, any FF, or any of the other big classics on it.

PS+ on PS3 had some pretty decent games. PS+ on PS4 has been fucking garbage aside from one or two good months.
Microsofts games with gold was obviously a response to PS+ and this gen their offerings have been pretty decent as MS can't afford to fuck people over after what happened at the beginning of the generation.